Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I would ask the question.

What has this got to do with Aviation and Aircraft?

In my opinion this subject is more related to the Travel Forum. Perhaps the Current Affairs Forum of which the OP is a regular contributor. Or most likely the whacky, surreal world of the After Hours Forum, which appears to be popular with the OP.

The answer is that air travel is the main carrier of affected people from one country to another. Also closed airports will affect aviation. Better to do what may be an overreaction now rather than later when the genie is out of the bottle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51292590

BA have suspended all flights to mainland China now, wouldn't be surprised if other airlines start to follow suit.

deconduo wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51292590

BA have suspended all flights to mainland China now, wouldn't be surprised if other airlines start to follow suit.

Needed to be done. Lets hope the others follow soon.

Any other airlines doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

saabsaab wrote: »
    Any other airlines doing this
    Various suspensions and restrictions, UA was one of the 1st.
    You travel insurance may be stuffed if travelling somewhere not recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its crazy how prices have gone up in Thailand, I went 3 times over the space of 12 years but wont be going again as theres better value out there. It used to be a bargain of a country but those days are long over now.

+1000

Last December was our 9th trip to Thailand. It's gone from "not very cheap anymore lads" to quite simply "taking the p1ss"

Cheaper food & drink around Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

JohnCleary wrote: »
    +1000

Last December was our 9th trip to Thailand. It's gone from "not very cheap anymore lads" to quite simply "taking the p1ss"

Cheaper food & drink around Europe!
    Are you serious? Going for my very first time next week. That's disapointing to hear, had a certain budget set out for this trip based on travel vlogs I'd been following.

What would be say, the price of a cooked meal from a street market these days? Would you be there in backpacker conditions or more luxurious?

De Danann wrote: »
    Are you serious? Going for my very first time next week. That's disapointing to hear, had a certain budget set out for this trip based on travel vlogs I'd been following.

What would be say, the price of a cooked meal from a street market these days? Would you be there in backpacker conditions or more luxurious?

It's a combination of rising prices (inflation etc.) and a seriously strong baht.

You'll still get your 50 baht pad thai on Khao San, along with your 60 baht Chang, but once you go to restaurants / outside Khao San, things get expensive.

Up North the cost of living is lower, obviously.

Down South you'll defo feel the pinch.

I remember many places trying to gouge 150THB for a Massaman Curry (traditionally a cheap dish in Thailand) + 20THB for Rice = 170THB = approx €5.40 (at the time) - not cheap for basic food.

Small Chang (330ml) in 7/11 approx 40-45THB so almost €1.50 - You can get a bottle of Miller from an offie here for cheaper than that. In a restaurant a small Chang was anything from 60-100 THB

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

It's a combination of rising prices (inflation etc.) and a seriously strong baht.

You'll still get your 50 baht pad thai on Khao San, along with your 60 baht Chang, but once you go to restaurants / outside Khao San, things get expensive.

Up North the cost of living is lower, obviously.

Down South you'll defo feel the pinch.

I remember many places trying to gouge 150THB for a Massaman Curry (traditionally a cheap dish in Thailand) + 20THB for Rice = 170THB = approx €5.40 (at the time) - not cheap for basic food.

Small Chang (330ml) in 7/11 approx 40-45THB so almost €1.50 - You can get a bottle of Miller from an offie here for cheaper than that. In a restaurant a small Chang was anything from 60-100 THB

I'll keep a weather eye out for the gougers so! That's a pity..would you say the price increases on food are just restaurants or are street food hit with the same increases?

I'll be in Bangkok for one week, then travelling towards the North so hopefully get a bit more value for money up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    was considering a trip this summer ?

Short answer is yes.

I wouldn't go near that part of the world at the moment. Maybe it'll all calm down or maybe not. Thailand has highest cases of the virus outside China.

Even if you put aside fears about catching the virus - the risk of travel disruptions would put me off.

• Advertisement

Apparently Irish being brought back from Wuhan will be quarantined in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

easypazz wrote:
    We need to get rid of a few billion people, so let it spread.

Would you be happy to volunteer yourself and your family for the cull? Thought not. Imbecilic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

De Danann wrote: »

If you've never been there before you're not going to notice price increases in fairness.

I go there regularly and lived there for a while so the strength of the baht is very obvious. Then there's the Thai logic: there are fewer tourists, we're making less money. Solution - put up prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Hi,
    I’m due to fly to Germany this day week, for work. A trade show - Ambiente, Messe Frankfurt.
    I feel a bit iffy about going, am I being caught up in the hype? I get pretty bad chest infections around this time of year usually. I am NOT asthmatic but I’ve been prescribed inhalers a couple of times.
    A week will tell a lot I guess...
    How do people feel about travelling to a country where there are diagnosed cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Over 50 people die in road traffic accidents in Germany a week. Better avoid alright.

We are right to be concerned worldwide as a population and hope it doesn't become worse but on an individual level currently the odds are so vastly low of anything happening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

twirlagig wrote: »
    I feel a bit iffy about going, am I being caught up in the hype?
    How do people feel about travelling to a country where there are diagnosed cases?

C&P of a post I made on another thread:
    Might be worth taking note of the fact that there have been 22 deaths in France since November due directly to the bog-standard flu virus, i.e. 22 more than total number of deaths from coronavirus in the whole world outside of China ... and no-one has put France on a no-fly list.

Chances are if you're going to get infected by something nasty in the next six months, it'll be one of your neighbours or a family member who gives it to you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Just don't eat any bats while you're there

mod-edit --> https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/118956298/are-bats-to-blame-for-chinas-new-virus <--

If you've never been there before you're not going to notice price increases in fairness.

I go there regularly and lived there for a while so the strength of the baht is very obvious. Then there's the Thai logic: there are fewer tourists, we're making less money. Solution - put up prices.

^^ This +1

If it's your first time there, you won't notice the prices (unless you're on a seriously tight budget).

The Thai logic is laughable and it exactly as killbillvol2 states... "It's quiet, less customers... better up the prices to compensate"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just keep your wits about you, don't touch handles or shake hands.
    If you do, have hand sanitiser handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wash your hands, wear gloves on public transport, avoid anyone coughing or sneezing openly.... Exact same as you would do to avoid getting the flu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 tommyIV

I live in Bangkok. Yes there is a bit of hysteria and you will see a lot of people wearing masks, but I’m not bothered by it. 19 cases here I believe, 18 of those are Chinese tourists. Just avoid large crowds and bring hand sanitizer!

The government is facing heavy criticism - they have not restricted flights from China or tried to prevent people who have been to Wuhan coming. They also haven’t canceled any large events like other countries.

If I were you, my main concern would be the pollution. Are you aware of this? Air quality here today deemed very unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Worst case scenario, ask for a flammenwerfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

More people die from coconuts falling out of trees

tommyIV wrote: »
    I live in Bangkok. Yes there is a bit of hysteria and you will see a lot of people wearing masks, but I’m not bothered by it. 19 cases here I believe, 18 of those are Chinese tourists. Just avoid large crowds and bring hand sanitizer!

The government is facing heavy criticism - they have not restricted flights from China or tried to prevent people who have been to Wuhan coming. They also haven’t canceled any large events like other countries.

If I were you, my main concern would be the pollution. Are you aware of this? Air quality here today deemed very unsafe.

Got my first sore throat in over 2 years after spending 4 nights in Bangkok a few weeks back. Never had that issue in BKK before and can only put it down to the sh1te air quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not sure what the issue is, except you seem to be lacking in knowledge of your geography and the case in question.

The only cases so far in Germany are to the south of Munich, and even then limited to employees of a certain auto parts company where someone came back from china with the disease, and all are in hospital quarantine plus anyone they were in contact with is staying out of circulation .
    The trade fair is in Frankfurt a good 4 hour drive away.

How you can somehow catch a virus from people who are 100s of km away and in quarantine.

Theres 1.5 million living in Munich, maybe 5million in the greater Munich area, who are getting on with life just fine and you will be perfectly fine visiting Frankfurt which is nowhere near Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Got my first sore throat in over 2 years after spending 4 nights in Bangkok a few weeks back. Never had that issue in BKK before and can only put it down to the sh1te air quality.

Or whatever you been putting in your mouth :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Were you drinking at the street bars? I always hacked up some nasty looking stuff after spending an evening at the side of the busier roads. I see the baht has dropped to a 6 month low since this thread started, obviously caused by the outbreak:
    https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=1Y

Tourist numbers were already significantly down even before this event-it might be the catalyst to finally kick off the correction of private debt levels which will hit those at the lower levels of society the hardest. The questions are how much of the foreign currency reserves the elite will burn through to protect the baht and by extension their wealth in global terms, and whether the new king has the clout to hold it all together if things start spiraling out of control.

sabat wrote: »
    Were you drinking at the street bars? I always hacked up some nasty looking stuff after spending an evening at the side of the busier roads. I see the baht has dropped to a 6 month low since this thread started, obviously caused by the outbreak:
    https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=THB&view=1Y

Tourist numbers were already significantly down even before this event-it might be the catalyst to finally kick off the correction of private debt levels which will hit those at the lower levels of society the hardest. The questions are how much of the foreign currency reserves the elite will burn through to protect the baht and by extension their wealth in global terms, and whether the new king has the clout to hold it all together if things start spiraling out of control.

Nope. Actually drank very little in BKK this time (unusual for me). We were on Soi Rambuttri most of the time, so not much traffic. That said, we were close to lots of traffic. We were also outdoors most of the days.... could have been down to traffic pollution, who knows. Could have just been run down, too.

Re. Tourism numbers - It was the quietest 'peak' season (Christmas / New Years) we'd seen in Thailand since first visiting in 2010.

Something needs to happen re. THB value.... it's just becoming too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I don't think you need to put off your trip. Hopefully, before summer, medicine experts would able to make a vaccine. Pray for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Thread(s) merged and stickied by me. Please read our Travel forum Charter before posting and Please do Not hesitate in using the 'Report Post' option if necessary.

ANother thread is open right here

<-- Should further reading be required.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement