Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your opinion on fornication outside of your long term relationship/marriage?

Options
  • 27-03-2020 7:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

There's many ironies, contradictions, paradoxes and hypocrisies in the complicated course of life and living, especially in our evolving societies.

Let me just cut to the chase here.

Discretion.

To me it's only a sin if sufficient discretion is not applied.

Indiscretion is a weakness.

More contemporary thought seems to be, "well, partnerships are great. They provide stability, companionship, in some cases financial security, mutual needs can be met...... but then, there's extenuating circumstances. How can I be expected to be physically attracted to only one person the rest of muh life, not get bored of them, not be attracted to other potential partners, and not potentially act on that attraction?"

Again, to me - it's only really a sin if one does not have the discipline and/or strength of character to apply discretion.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What would you know anyhow?
    It's not actually like you've ever had a relationship with anyone before.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

What?

399706958.png?351

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sins don't exist, grow out of that.

Morals do still exist, grow into them.

If your partner doesn't know what you're doing? Immoral.

Easy.

399706958.png?351

My sentiments exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭gifted

No...no....and no....just no.....walk away from your marriage/relationship if it's dead and then do what you want....

NO.

Let me give an example.

Gal is actually married to the guy now but, during more juvenile times I slept a college gal from another county with a long term boyfriend back home.

Slept with her a good few times.

When I say "paradoxical, ironic, hypocritical" it applies directly to this situation.

Conventional thought has been, "gals want sweet loving relationships. All men are bastards and only want to eat, shoot, and leave etc"

What I found so..... enlightening, I guess, about this situation was, this gal - she was basically using me for my man ham.

She didn't want a relationship.
    I put it to her several times, and she shot it clean down, even started to get abrupt about it.
    "Not happening!! We discussed that. I have a boyfriend.".

She was reasonably sweet about it but, this was basically a gal who wanted to get sticky, and absolutely not compromise her primary love relationship.

I'm assuming her boyfriend wasn't basically doing it for her, making her eyes roll back etc
    Or maybe she just wanted to be a bad girl and experience the wild life at that young age etc.

Like I said, she's married to the dude now (I sometimes like to stalk the facebook profiles of my former conquests).

Basically it seems, opportunities come - you can embrace them, enjoy them, and exercise the necessary degree of discretion so they don't impact the practical side to life.

Or you can forego them I guess.... but most people don't it seems.

It's just the indiscreets the fuck the whole thing up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’re boring now.

How many monkeys with typewriters did that post take?

grindle wrote: »
    Sins don't exist, grow out of that.

Morals do still exist, grow into them.

If your partner doesn't know what you're doing? Immoral.

Easy.

This is like one of the (many) great hypocrisy's of modern times/society.

I think some people feed themselves these lies to justify their own self fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,087 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You're asking two different questions here, OP.

1 - Fornication outside the marriage?
    Depends - are we talking polyamory or adulery here?

2 - Fonrication outside the long-term relationship?
    Not technically possible.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You're asking two different questions here, OP.

1 - Fornication outside the marriage?
    Depends - are we talking polyamory or adulery here?

2 - Fonrication outside the long-term relationship?
    Not technically possible.

We're talking about Steve coming home to his partner Jane but,

Situation A) Jane won't be home yet cause she stayed behind at her job to get some "overtime" put in

Situation B) Steve is feeling guilty for that quick 30 minute stop over he made at the Clayton hotel in Ballsbridge on his way home, where his wallet became 150 euro + tip, lighter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh it's this lad again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The correct answer was:
    c) the Jack Russell terrier.

Bonus points wounld have been given for
    - Submarine
    - Napoleon Bonaparte
    - Sodium peroxide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Judging from your posts Lap. You couldn't get laid in a chicken factory. So stop all this BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Why are people attacking OP? He is literally just asking a question and it has offended a lot of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Yes please

Why are people attacking OP? He is literally just asking a question and it has offended a lot of people!

Reason a) it's a question the virgins can't relate to so they get rustled

Reason b) other posters don't want to concede their own hypocrisy, thus get rustled when potentially confronted with it

Either way, thread topic makes them mad tho.

Which was not its intended outcome.

See, sleeping around on your partner can also be a power trip.
    Some guys and gals can use their promiscuiting to basically fuck with their partners head, let them know who's in charge etc.

Yet they'd cry condemnation if they saw someone else doing it.

That's hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

This is like one of the (many) great hypocrisy's of modern times/society.

I think some people feed themselves these lies to justify their own self fraud.

Or, somebody is not caught up in the fairytale of 'one sick f*** of a creator lording it over all with rules and regulations'

The human race weren't made to be monogamous, it would be great if most wouldn't spawn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,087 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Situation A) Jane won't be home yet cause she stayed behind at her job to get some "overtime" put in

Situation B) Steve is feeling guilty for that quick 30 minute stop over he made at the Clayton hotel in Ballsbridge on his way home, where his wallet became 150 euro + tip, lighter.

Are these situations supposed to invovle actual sexual intercourse? Is Steve just going to have a ****?

(Incidently, fornication specifcially involves beign married so ti doesn't reall matter with situaion B whether there is intervcourse or not)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

You can always tell the nut jobs when they put "discuss' at the end of their opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Very interesting scenario. Does highlight the amount of trust that exists in relationships. Or is it wilful ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You can always tell the nut jobs when they put "discuss' at the end of their opening post.

Or use the word 'gal ' constantly.

I saw the headline to the post 'fornication" blah blah blah and I knew then it was going to be started by one of two people.

I wasnt wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

endacl wrote: »
    You’re boring now.

Now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

anewme wrote: »
    Now?

Now, now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

How can I be expected to be physically attracted to only one person the rest of muh life..

Discuss.

Not much to discuss as unless an open relationship is an option it's a very black and white area. Your going to be attracted to other people but in a long term relationship you have agreed to stay faithful and if you can't do this you need to break up, if you don't do this your a sc*mbag sh*thead. The discretion you talking about is called telling lies and these lies do more damage.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Not much to discuss as unless an open relationship is an option it's a very black and white area. Your going to be attracted to other people but in a long term relationship you have agreed to stay faithful and if you can't do this you need to break up, if you don't do this your a sc*mbag sh*thead. The discretion you talking about is called telling lies and these lies do more damage.

Way I see it is those who maintain this fabricated pretense of unremitting fidelity whilst casting the judgemental eye outward, are full of shit and complete hypocrites.

Nothing is as black and white as your post attempts to insinuate.

So you're either a hypocrite (life half the country) or have a chronic case of simpleton'itis.

Very interesting scenario. Does highlight the amount of trust that exists in relationships. Or is it wilful ignorance?

I think pragmatism more so.

If some chicks husband goes on a golfing holiday, she's simply got to expect he's gonna get some pipe in with the local call gals.

The pragmatism would be not to come home with an STI or allow unwitting photos to circulate on the internet for the kids to see etc.

In all honesty I've yet to meet a honey in a long term relationship whom I couldn't have convinced to get down and dirty in a loss-of-control moment of rapture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

convinced

Wouldn't you rather be with somebody who doesn't need to be persuaded to screw you? Somebody who actually likes you and doesn't need to be "convinced". Oh wait, no....you're a sleaze. Maybe a happy one. Likely an empty one, in heart and head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That would be an ecumenical matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement