Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat>IP LNB

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This thread may be of interest
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057717465

From that thread...
    The way to picture it is that the LNBs are wider rather than taller. But the installer managed to find a position for the pair that gave perfectly acceptable results. But watch out if you want to get satellite closer than 9 degree.

...if you decide to use a combiner to get both satellite signals on a single cables, you will need to get the LNBs programmed. Apparently this is very easy to do but it will either require you to buy the programmer unit (which cost c. 120 Euro); get an installer who has one of those (couldn't find any); or get the shop selling you the LNB to do the programming for you.

Unicable II LNBs do not need to be programmed if used without a combiner/switch. So not a problem for the installation I described earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Michaelangello

Hi guys,
    I know this thread is a bit old but I'm trying to get some more info on SAT>IP. I'm looking for a solution for my home, I have a a freenas box with Plex on it and was looking at adding a DVR to it.

Seems a bit weird but it's hard to get much info on SAT>IP. I was looking at the iNverto iLNB. Ultimately I'm just looking to add free satellite and Saorview channels which I'll probably add a pair of DVB-T dongles, unless theres a decent IP solution to that, maybe a HD homerun.

I'm a network engineer so my knowledge on satellite is quite basic. I haven't installed the dish yet but I have 5 RG6 Coax and an Outdoor Cat6 cable at the location.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi guys,
    I know this thread is a bit old but I'm trying to get some more info on SAT>IP. I'm looking for a solution for my home, I have a a freenas box with Plex on it and was looking at adding a DVR to it.

Seems a bit weird but it's hard to get much info on SAT>IP. I was looking at the iNverto iLNB. Ultimately I'm just looking to add free satellite and Saorview channels which I'll probably add a pair of DVB-T dongles, unless theres a decent IP solution to that, maybe a HD homerun.

I'm a network engineer so my knowledge on satellite is quite basic. I haven't installed the dish yet but I have 5 RG6 Coax and an Outdoor Cat6 cable at the location.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

A lot of this is dealt with over on this board
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

Sat>IP distribution is done on ethernet cable, so essentially the only coax that is required is that coming in from the aerial.

I use the HDHomerun quad tuner (needed a third tuner) but a dual tuner model would suffice for Saorview's two muxes.

For satellite I use a slightly different system .... standard Unicable LNB with one coax to a quad tuner - the Digibit R1 quad satellite tuner box which is Unicable compatible.

I had considered, and been very interested in, Sat>IP LNBs, but those LNBs began to fade from sale (there were also some negative reports from users) and I became a bit disillusioned and opted for the present set up.

I use a €30 small Android box to manage all the tuners (this could easily be done on a NAS).
    It runs CoreElec and Tvheadend.
    The client devices are similar, but with a Kodi plugin to interface with the backend. Tablets, laptops & PCs can also access the system of course.

There is no requirement to transcode anything.
    Recordings can be saved by Tvheadend in mkv if preferred.

IMO this system is a much better option than traditional coax to fixed points and tuners at each point maybe with recording functions. You have to have your house cabled with Cat5e or Cat6 of course, else depend on wifi which is not optimal.
    You want to add a TV to any room in the house?
    No ethernet jack in that location?
    No problem ...... if the wifi is strong enough it would do temporarily.

In hindsight, I am probably happier that I have the standard Unicable LNB and tuner box, rather than the Sat>IP LNB, even though it is an extra device in the system.

HTH

Ok cool, I didn't know you could get an LNB that only needed a single Coax. Is the Unicable and Digibit R1 plug and play or does it need Unicabke software for setup?

This might be the way to go for me. All my TVs have network drops and Plex clients so ideally this should be perfect.

I had my house wired before I moved in so there is Cat6 everywhere. I have central distribution of all my Audio and video so sticking a sat box in a room is out of the question.

At the Moment I have Virgin TV hooked into an AVoverIP matrix so I can watch it in any room but I want to move away from that and get a decent satellite system in.

So I bought a dish, Unicable 2 LNB, Digibit R1 and a HDHomerun Quattro.

I've been reading that the EPG on plex may not be able to bring in all the channels from the 2 sources so I might install TVHeadend on a jail in Freenas to manage everything then send that to Plex.

I'll update when I get everything sorted.

• Advertisement

I've been reading that the EPG on plex may not be able to bring in all the channels from the 2 sources so I might install TVHeadend on a jail in Freenas to manage everything then send that to Plex.

Heck!
    You don't hang about :D

I have not used Plex so cannot comment on that.
    Tvheadend can be difficult to get familiar with, but is worth the effort IMO.
    I like the Kodi interface to it also, as I get a consistent experience on all devices.
    If the recordings are sent to a central location then all users can have full access to them easily.

Good luck with your set up.
    Let us know how you get on and in particular any difficulties and 'gotchas' you met on the journey.

;)

Is the Unicable and Digibit R1 plug and play or does it need Unicabke software for setup?

I missed responding to this I think.

The outputs preprogrammed on my Unicable LNB were all that was required.

It would need to be reprogrammed for a different method of use.

Inverto has information on their site about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I have used Plex extensively for many years, it is a class piece of software for your Media needs.

For watching TV it is not currently recommended:
    1. It doesn't support DVB-S directly
    2. Just using a HDHomerun it is extremely laggy, you certainly will not be surfing through the channels.

I do use the DVR function and it's fine. I have, on occassion, used it to stream the Irish channels when I am abroad but see point 2 above.

This rejuvenated discussion has caused me to wonder about one thing in particular.
    Transcoding.

I admit to never having used it, so have no real experience of it or its uses.

Is it still a 'thing' and are there situations where it is necessary these days?
    I do no transcoding on source and have had no problems at all playing HD content on extremely limited old tablets, as well as laptops, PCs etc. which had dual core CPUs.

Just one of those things I wonder about :)

I guess if I was watching my broadband use, and uploading/streaming out to somewhere, then reducing the bandwidth would be helpful.
    Are there other reasons to use transcoding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

This rejuvenated discussion has caused me to wonder about one thing in particular.
    Transcoding.

I admit to never having used it, so have no real experience of it or its uses.

Is it still a 'thing' and are there situations where it is necessary these days?
    I do no transcoding on source and have had no problems at all playing HD content on extremely limited old tablets, as well as laptops, PCs etc. which had dual core CPUs.

Just one of those things I wonder about :)

I guess if I was watching my broadband use, and uploading/streaming out to somewhere, then reducing the bandwidth would be helpful.
    Are there other reasons to use transcoding?

When I had a very poor uplink (<10 Mbps), I looked at transcoding in tvheadend for remote access to my live TV system, but alas support for my RPi2 was not available at the time. I currently have about 30Mbps uplink so I don't really need it anymore. Two other families in our town use our home system as their home system and tvheadend runs smooth as butter on RPi2 with 2 HD streams accessed externally and 4 internally. Cheap as chips tech that works.

• Advertisement

When I had a very poor uplink (<10 Mbps), I looked at transcoding in tvheadend for remote access to my live TV system, but alas support for my RPi2 was not available at the time. I currently have about 30Mbps uplink so I don't really need it anymore. Two other families in our town use our home system as their home system and tvheadend runs smooth as butter on RPi2 with 2 HD streams accessed externally and 4 internally. Cheap as chips tech that works.

Thanks.
    Great is it not that such cheap devices can be put to beneficial use?

So, again it seems you only ever considered transcoding in the same situation I outlined ..... uploading/streaming.

Yet from what I read it seems a lot of people transcode, but I have no real idea why.

I run Plex on Freenas server and gpu transcoding is finally available using intel integrated graphics. All my TVs can do direct play without transcoding so I dont have to use it locally. I'm thinking of changing OS on the server to Windows 10 Pro. Have a Quadro knocking about that I can do as many GPU transcodes as I need then.

I've got my dish and Inverto Unicable LNB. Also got a standard LNB too that I will use to align the dish. I dont need the Unicable programmer to setup the Unicable LNB do I? If I align the dish with the normal LNB will I be able to put the Unicable LNB on and plug it into the Digibit and scan for the channels?

I dont have watch TV through Plex but it would be nice to. Are there any other good apps that are more responsive for channel flicking?

I run Plex on Freenas server and gpu transcoding is finally available using intel integrated graphics. All my TVs can do direct play without transcoding so I dont have to use it locally. I'm thinking of changing OS on the server to Windows 10 Pro. Have a Quadro knocking about that I can do as many GPU transcodes as I need then.

My query is - for what do you need to transcode?

I've got my dish and Inverto Unicable LNB. Also got a standard LNB too that I will use to align the dish. I dont need the Unicable programmer to setup the Unicable LNB do I? If I align the dish with the normal LNB will I be able to put the Unicable LNB on and plug it into the Digibit and scan for the channels?

No, you do not need the programmer.
    Yes you can use a standard LNB to align the dish.
    I dont have watch TV through Plex but it would be nice to. Are there any other good apps that are more responsive for channel flicking?

I find Kodi excellent.
    There is a Kodi PVR client plugin (Tvheadend HTSP Client) which integrates nicely with Tvheadend, for all Live TV functions on client devices.
    There are also lots of other useful plugins available.

IMO it is worth trialling it before making a decision.

I used to run Kodi before Plex, I like it but I find Plex to be better.

I share my library with a couple of family members so transcoding those outgoing streams would save on bandwidth or/and transcoding it at their end and also ease the pressure from the CPU.

My Digibit R1 has just shipped but not due till Monday. No correspondence from Hdhomerun at all so I'm assuming it's going to be a while before I get that.

I might setup TVHeadend at the weekend anyway just to test.

I used to run Kodi before Plex, I like it but I find Plex to be better.

I share my library with a couple of family members so transcoding those outgoing streams would save on bandwidth or/and transcoding it at their end and also ease the pressure from the CPU.

My Digibit R1 has just shipped but not due till Monday. No correspondence from Hdhomerun at all so I'm assuming it's going to be a while before I get that.

I might setup TVHeadend at the weekend anyway just to test.

How do you integrate Plex with Tvheadend? Is this by exporting a .m3u from the tvh server? Won't you lose all the EPG stuff that way?

I also use the Kodi tvh addon setup that JohnnyBoy uses and it works smoothly and all th efamily can use it. I only use Kodi for live TV as I have a combination of FireTV / Chromecast(rarely) / LG SmartTV for other applications depending on which TV I am on.

Ok a little update,

Got my HDHomerun delivered this morning. Took all of 2 minutes to install and setup. Plex found it straight away. Channel hopping using the Plex app is very good and responsive.

I have 2 different types of TVs in the house, a Panasonic with has Plex built in but is not supported any more so the interface is old and laggy, it also doesnt have support for Plex DVR. I'm either going to throw an nVidia Shield behind the TV, get a new TV or both. Not sure yet.

All the other TVs I have are LG. The Plex app is much better and supports DVR but it's a bit cumbersome and doesnt support the same style guide as the Android app.

Watching RTE HD on my phone over wifi works perfectly.

The Digibit R1 is due Monday so I'll update again when I get it setup.

OK Ive got the Digibit R1 and need a little help setting it up with the Unicable II LNB.

Ive set the LNB Type to Unicable II/dCSS

In Channel Search ive set Satellite position to 28.2 Astra 2E

All other settings as default,

When I search I dont find any channels?

OK Ive got the Digibit R1 and need a little help setting it up with the Unicable II LNB.

Ive set the LNB Type to Unicable II/dCSS

In Channel Search ive set Satellite position to 28.2 Astra 2E

All other settings as default,

When I search I dont find any channels?

I have not done it but I think you need to sep the user bands to those of your LNB spec...

I have not done it but I think you need to sep the user bands to those of your LNB spec...

Ah ok, I just threw the sat finder on the cable from the LNB and it found all the channels. I'll go through the settings on the Digibit R1 to see what's up.

Something like this should do (click to see full image)

You can select your own frequencies so they do not clash with other device/s using LNB

telestar3.png

• Advertisement

I have it setup the same now and still nothing? Hmmmm....

I have it setup the same now and still nothing? Hmmmm....

All I can suggest is you go through each page of the set up, referring to the help on each page - ' ? ' and will likely find what you missed.

In the help it says "Please connect the satellite cable to the rear panel input marked with Unicable."

None of the ports are marked unicable? Ive tried with 1 and 4. I must be missing something silly!

I have a unicable LNB sitting in the shed for about 12 months ... maybe now would be a good time to install it.

Still cant figure it out? Ive done a quick scan on VLC UPNP and it sees the Digibit and there are 3 separate streams, two Astra 19.2 and an Astra 28.2E. When I open them up I can see the full channel list but no stream works. I dont know why it is generating those 19.2 streams?

c2w1xkD

In the help it says "Please connect the satellite cable to the rear panel input marked with Unicable."

None of the ports are marked unicable? Ive tried with 1 and 4. I must be missing something silly!

I think it does not matter to which it gets connected, but mine is in 1 I believe ........ will check in a min.

EDIT: Yes it is in LNB 1

Have you done a scan?

telestar4.png

Result here

252 FTA TV stations
    60 Radio stations found.

The list of transponders gets saved in

<IP address>:8080/19.tlist

I reset the box and tried it again and its finding the channels now! Technology!

Onto the Plex integration!

Quick update, Plex didnt pickup the Digibit R1 or the SAT>IP stream so ive installed TVHeadend on my Freenas Server and am just in the process of adding all the tuners in.

I still havent really got to grips with how the Digibit is operating in SAT>IP mode? Is it unicast or multicast? I understand 4 different channels can operate independently so does this create 4 separate unicast streams? Its hard getting the info on it!

• Advertisement

Quick update, Plex didnt pickup the Digibit R1 or the SAT>IP stream so ive installed TVHeadend on my Freenas Server and am just in the process of adding all the tuners in.

I still havent really got to grips with how the Digibit is operating in SAT>IP mode? Is it unicast or multicast? I understand 4 different channels can operate independently so does this create 4 separate unicast streams? Its hard getting the info on it!

You can set it to Unicast. The only connection it will have is Tvheadend and that can control everything related to the tuners, EPG, tuner allocation, recording and so on.

Advertisement