Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@ThirdFox

When I was told that Lawyers were dripping in pussy...
    That
    Is
    Not
    What
    I
    Imagined!

I've gone back to Uni based on a lie :P

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

unkel wrote: »
    Seiko Thursday anyone?

I'm in:

507102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Spocker wrote: »
    I'm in:

I LOVE these watches. Just a ridiculously cheap, decent quality automatic watch. I've bought several of them as gifts for people and they all love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Regarding the Speedmaster Professional ‘Moonwatch’, did the posters on here go for hesalite or sapphire? I know the ones that went to the moon were hesalite but I am looking at sapphire.

Hesalite myself and ended up scratching it about 2 weeks after I picked it up. Will get around to getting it buffed out...eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Spocker wrote: »
    I'm in:

:)

whitjqW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Bellmatic is very cool. Birth year watch? And of course you were expecting the next question: does the alarm work? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

EdBVXhY.jpg?2
    A Casio MW-240-1BVEF €17.99 form Argos. Modded with a silicone oil fill and red Citizen sweep hand as seen in a recent post. I was impressed with a friends U-boat Capsoil but was too cheap to spring for one. The numbers really pop!

Bellmatic is very cool. Birth year watch? And of course you were expecting the next question: does the alarm work? :)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So is Keith hitting the half century this year then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Vostok on wocci strap from amazon

I know I'm not meant quote pics but can someone please tell me the model of this Vostok? I love it and have been googling like a mad bastard :pac:

Edit: thx Frank :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I know I'm not meant quote pics but can someone please tell me the model of this Vostok? I love it and have been googling like a mad bastard :pac:

It's the Komandirskie 030787

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

crubbeens wrote: »
    A Casio MW-240-1BVEF €17.99 form Argos. Modded with a silicone oil fill and red Citizen sweep hand as seen in a recent post. I was impressed with a friends U-boat Capsoil but was too cheap to spring for one. The numbers really pop!

Love that concept, but the bubble would drive me nuts!

I filled it fully with oil so that it was 'bubbleless' and it was hard to tell it was oil filled. The U-boat capsoil also has a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

crubbeens wrote: »
    I filled it fully with oil so that it was 'bubbleless' and it was hard to tell it was oil filled. The U-boat capsoil also has a bubble.

Does it not need a bubble so that it can compress under pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Festina 16102 Chronograph
    IMG-20200327-120105.jpg

The oldest watch in my collection (as in the longest I've owned it) It was a birthday present from my grandmother in about 2007. It was my daily watch for the best part of 7 years. I don't remember having to replace the battery in the time I've had it.

I would like to get the mineral crystal replaced as it's dinged up but I'm not sure how easy it is to find a replacement now that the watch is discontinued.

I believe that was the idea, with the extreme depth divers watches.I say the resin body of the Casio has enough give and the odd splash of water it'll be receiving won't cause a problem.

So is Keith hitting the half century this year then? :)

:o still have a ways to go. Actually looked into getting a Birth year watch. Follow Spencer Klein videos on Youtube and he recommended a Seiko 7002,made a video for me [Link].

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

A bit of Stowa today! Almost sold this two weeks ago! Had 3 offers on the watch. One below, one above and one of exactly the asking price! Ended up keeping it as it’s a lot of watch for the money and the relative value of the watch vs the collection is very small......but it gets a decent amount of wrist time.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

The view I’m getting of my watch most often these days:

507218.jpeg

Dozens of times per day for me, and the Garmin is getting sprayed and wiped almost as often. Plus a dunk in the ultrasonic cleaner bath every evening (the watch, that is, I have to make do with a shower). I’m looking forward to wearing something nice again...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dakar wrote: »
    Plus a dunk in the ultrasonic cleaner bath every evening

What kind of WR is needed to put a watch in one of them? I'd like to do this - bracelets can get incredibly manky, but I CBA scratching my watch to take off the bracelet off each time. And/or is it possible to just have the bracelet and not the head submerged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Eoin wrote: »
    What kind of WR is needed to put a watch in one of them? I'd like to do this - bracelets can get incredibly manky, but I CBA scratching my watch to take off the bracelet off each time. And/or is it possible to just have the bracelet and not the head submerged?

I’m not sure!

My Lidl cleaner came with an attachment that allows the bracelet to be cleaned but keeps the watch itself clear of the liquid. I clean my watch bracelets that way (see photo).

The Garmin I just chuck in. It seems pretty well sealed, and is all plastic. I figure if it’s ok to take swimming in the sea, then it’ll cope. And it has so far, but please don’t take my word for it! I haven’t killed mine yet, but I’m not 100% sure I won’t. I wouldn’t put a watch I was worried about under the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Dozens of times per day for me, and the Garmin is getting sprayed and wiped almost as often. Plus a dunk in the ultrasonic cleaner bath every evening (the watch, that is, I have to make do with a shower). I’m looking forward to wearing something nice again...

If you ever want to try an ultrasonic bath for humans I suggest a Japanese Onsen - weirdest feeling ever but pretty cool too - feels like mild electrocution or something :D
    Eoin wrote: »

To remove heads from straps I recommend a quality bergenon 6767F springbar tool - after trying a few times buying the cheap Chinese ones I did the right thing and just got the Swiss tool - would have save an extra 10-12 euro if I just bought that one from the beginning (it's not hugely expensive either - 20-30ish euro).
    The Garmin I just chuck in. It seems pretty well sealed, and is all plastic. I figure if it’s ok to take swimming in the sea, then it’ll cope. And it has so far, but please don’t take my word for it! I haven’t killed mine yet, but I’m not 100% sure I won’t. I wouldn’t put a watch I was worried about under the surface.

One thing to watch out for is don't put mechanical movements into the cleaner - the vibrations produced probably aren't great these finely tuned instruments.

As for ultrasonic cleaners from lidl I think I probably have the same one as you do - great for cleaning jewellery (not emeralds!) and removing tarnish from silver (baking soda, aluminium and hot water).

One other thing is that when using these cleaners with jewellery I would use hot water and a drop of fairy liquid to get the gems extra clean. I wouldn't do that with metal bracelets as some of these bracelets are greased at the pins to prevent wear so the fairy liquid might remove protective grease.

For quartz watches in the cleaner I'd think even 3ATM (if it's probably tested 3ATM) would be enough to prevent water ingress. For mechanical watches I would still remove the head before cleaning any bracelets even if you have the bridge part that takes the head above water since the vibrations will probably still travel up the plastic - though if you prefer to keep the head on then an old toothbrush works great to get dead skin/muck out of watches actually.

A pic and a mini-review - this was the the watch that I ordered that pushed me into trying to materialise the idea I had for a watch into a kickstarter itself (and not just ideas knocking around in my head). Very interesting to follow what Ross is going through with his own micro-brand story too (and appreciative that this watch business is how he is earning his livelihood unlike myself).

Finally got my order in hand (meteorite and sellita ceramic bezel version) and here's a mini-review:

Update from Ireland - my meteorite and sellita watch has arrived and after wearing it for a few hours here are my thoughts on the watch (I had sold my Tudor Pelagos in advance as I believed that the Hamtun could check off my want of a titanium diver, with the added quirk of a meteorite dial) - overall the feeling is very positive:

1. 60 click bezel - compares very nicely to the Pelagos actually. On my example there is no play in the bezel either and the clicks hit the indices correctly with a satisfying click.

2. Accuracy out of the box is very good - using my beat calculator face up gives me +7 seconds/day which is well within +-20s/d tolerance of an elabore grade Sellita.

3. Links - used a 1.00mm screwdriver to remove 4 links and tightened the remaining screws - the links themselves are nicely machined. The gap between links is a little larger than ideal but I would still rate it as "good" (just a tiny bit more sag but at this price point it's "very good").

4. Dial - is beautiful - even darling wife enjoyed the look of the iron meteorite.

5. Indices - are great - though one thing that I didn't spot in renders is that the lume on the hands (which appear to my eyes as brilliant white) and the lume on the indices (which appear as a more creamy ivory white) don't exactly match. The colour difference was noticeable enough that for one moment I thought hand's lume was BGW9 blue and the indices were C3 green - but on checking it's all blue, it appears the colour difference is down to the thickness of lume being applied. Just a small point and not enough to distract from the overall great presentation and look of the watch.

6. Final point is the only bit that was the only thing I hope Ross can improve on in the future (and he may well do this improvement for everyone anyway) - the clasp. I imagine it shouldn't be just for me but the clasp is rather rattly compared to other clasps - but that is inherent to the fold over clasp design chosen with the thin fastener commonly used for these types of clasps. Having a slightly thicker foldover piece would dampen sounds considerably I think. Let's see what the ratcheting clasp will sound like when that is approved :)

So in essence I don't regret selling off the Pelagos one bit - I put my money where my mouth was and "upgraded" to a Kraken with its meteorite dial. Very happy with the overall package.

If I rated my old Pelagos at say a 9/10 overall (ETA version) I would probably rate this watch a very good 7.5/10 - taking into account its good value proposition and interesting dial option - could easily be an 8.5 if they could improve the lume colour matching and rattly bracelet design.

507307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Seen the kickstarter comments earlier, your a patient man:)
    Looks great with the metorite dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Enjoying wearing the ranger. Have a black nato on the way which I'm looking forward to wearing it with.yye bracelet is actually really nice as well though

Did you buy that on Adverts recently? Looks like one I was watching there while trying to come up with an excuse for the missus as to why I had to buy it. Beautiful timepiece.

funkyouup wrote: »

Kickstarter is one of those where patience is needed - definitely not a storefront and following Ross' experience closely from the other perspective as a backer (almost said customer there ha) gave me an interesting perspective of what backers may want/not want/not know that they actually want.

Communication will be key - people are often understanding of delays but it's harder to be understanding of radio silence. Setting expectations will be even more important - since technically with a kickstarter you could get nothing in the end if the organiser messes things up completely (doesn't happen much with watches I believe but see some of the computer games backed - run out of funding after 3-4 years and nothing delivered) - and seeing how Ross has stated that the influx of emails has affected his mental health I think setting up proper boundaries with backers initially will be very important (but also providing prompt updates - even if it's "nothing to update things are progressing as normal").

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Is there a kickstarter for the Solas watch?

I didn’t think one had started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

893bet wrote: »

Nah i meant the comments on the Hamtun kickstarter page, the meteorite dial versions shipped this week after most others shipped in January.

893bet wrote: »

Don't worry - boardsies will be the first to know when the campaign is about to launch. Though slightly interesting point - I'd almost feel less pressure if selling to "total strangers" on the net rather than a closer community like ours :)
    Nah i meant the comments on the Hamtun kickstarter page, the meteorite dial versions shipped this week after most others shipped in January.

The original shipment date was supposed to be August/September of 2019 to give an idea of the delay - and from what I've seen a 7 month delay isn't the worst one by far for these projects. Though for the meteorite ones Ross said some were "lost" or perhaps stolen during delivery into the UK so there is that too. Contingency planning will be a big thing for me to focus on in the run up to launch but again it's trying to balance between over planning and reducing profits to 0 and not planning enough and running into more costly issues potentially. Good business 101 training!

Look at the disaster that was Meccanie Venezaine (sic) - changed the movement (advertised as a main selling point) from ETA 2893 GMT to a Sellita just before shipping the watches out to backers. Sadly (from my viewpoint) many backers in that project were still happy to receive a pretty different watch to what they backed - an interesting look at the kickstarter community/ethos - not saying that MV were doing this but it seems that abusing backer trust would be kinda easy especially for people who aren't super into watch tech etc.

But anyway back on topic - happy weekend all - what are people wearing for the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Casio today

IMG-20200328-182406.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement