Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Design Review please :)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Been a while since I was on this thread but good to see the advances.

One comment though re. the sectional garage door and this is from an assumption I am making re. the cost. Assumption is that it probably costs a lot more than something similar looking but with less insulation/airtightness.

Would you not be better off forgetting about this area for airtightness and keeping your airtight line further back...at the door into the garage from the house.
    Do you really need an airtight garage? Your MHRV system wouldn't have to service this area...cheaper door, longer MHRV life, spend the money on something else.
    Are you at design stage or is building constructed?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

BryanF wrote: »
    Are you at design stage or is building constructed?

Me? Why do you need to know if I am at design stage Bryan? I'm posing a question to the OP.

Me? Why do you need to know if I am at design stage Bryan? I'm posing a question to the OP.

Ok, what I was getting at, was if the air-tightness /insulation around state garage is designed in, that’s grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

rampantbunny:
    Hiya, you are dead right, THe workshop/garage will not be part of the airtight envelope. I just wanted a good insulated door as I'll be in that area for long periods of time. I'll post the Ducting layout once it's worked out. (You'll see the areas, left to natural ventillation and radiator heating)

Door is working out like this: VAT included.
    Door €1500
    Paint in different RAL €360
    Glass-4 panes(or 2 bigger panes) €290
    Portholes €160
    Motor: €390 (Optional)
    U value 0.5W/m (secitional) and 1.3W/m overall.

BryanF I used the word Airtight a bit loosely I think :) It's really just draft proof but in a hardcore way!..Lovely solid lip that seals up aginst the door with a 40mm wide bottom lip that sits into a trough (for catching any water blown up against the outside)
    It's really a quality product. I found another Irish company that makes a similar door(parts imported from America) but they don't do the large sectional look, the panels they import are the same size but they have a crease in the middle.
    I did however find a huge company breaking into the Irish market (Biggest warehouse in Europe)....Ecko Okna. They provide a similar door but there agents here are only setting up/breaking into the market and don't have guys who install the doors, so I'll stick with the origianl guys I met

https://ekookna.co.uk/eko-okna-upvc_aluminum_timber/our-products/garage-doors/infinity-premium-

Door_Seals.jpg?raw=1

I'm having an interesting Time :) I got my planning last December, and eventually got the Superman Engineer at the start of March I was waiting for (Recommended by 2 builders and a manufacturer)....long story short, 2 months later he produces drawings, that are missing loads of details I sent him at the start. Now I understand why it was hard to get him during the day on the phone, himself and an engineer mate has setup a separate company and were moonlighting out of a Very Large Blackrock company (recommendations were coming in for obviously from his work for the blackrock company) , Anyway told him to F-off, (Considered Telling his boss who also quoted the job, but after looking at the website ratemyjob, there were a few complaints about the company not paying that well so I let him off) and got a new Engineer, who was a recommendation from a retired Engineer I know, this lad is nice, but a bit old school. Hoping to get the commencement notice in soon. I have the foundation drawings but not the drainage layout yet.
    I've broken another rule, I'm using an Engineer who seems to be subbing out to another Engineer(name on Drawings) who using someone else to draft the bloody thing.
    I'm still in good spirits but it's annoying how busy the whole industry is.

Just a Bit on Gutter Design,
    Does anybody know the typical flow rate for a given roof in Dublin? I take it, you would use the 100 year average depth in mm/hr for your calculations?

Here's some Data on Dublin Rainfall
    ’Fitzgerald D. L. (2007), Estimates of Point Rainfall Frequencies, Technical Note No. 61, Met Eireann, Dublin’,
    Available for download at
    www.met.ie/climate/dataproducts/Estimation-of-Point-Rainfall-Frequencies_TN61.pdf

From above I think it's giving 31.6mm/hr for a 100 Year average.
    That on a 145m2 North facing 25 degree Roof would give 1.54L/s .... Does that even sound right? I know stepper roofs catch more rain in the wind.. I'll probably go with 2 downpipes,

I found a good Site for Gutter design here:
    https://www.roof-gutter-design.com.au/

I'm hoping to Do a Standard Gutter, half-round or K-Style on the Large North facing Roof, and some box gutters on the South facing smaller roofs, one hidden Downpipe and one not.

Here's the standard Eve detail
    Standard_Eve_detail.jpg?raw=1

Guuters.jpg?raw=1

The Box gutter will be a bit more work, the company gave me a bit of a weird standard detail.
    Therhouse_Original.jpg?raw=1

I'm going to have to lift it up on some brackets (very rough design below), I'll have to get the ventilation and drainage right on this.possible-Design.jpg?raw=1

• Advertisement

Has your engineer or system manufacture carried out thermal bridging modeling as per TGD L?

I've seen their Thermal Certs for the wall and roofing system. Are you talking about the Box gutter detail in particular? If that meets part L...

From that Auz gutter design site, the flow rates are working out at (up'd the 100 year downpour depth to 35mm/Hr)
    page 24 here
    https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/WaterWasteEnvironment/WasteWater/Documents/VOLUME%201_Rainfall-Forecasting_FINAL.pdf

Large 25 degree North Roof
    works out at 1.74L/s
    The 15 degree Roof,
    works out at 0.5L/s
    The 10 Degree Roof
    works out at 0.26L/s

Now, to find out what size downpipes and Gutters go with these flow rates

Well eventually kicked off, It's being an interesting road to this point , Third Engineer helped get the ball rolling, first was fired for moonlighting, second, for incompetence and now we are rolling, still you have to watch everything, I've caught a few humdingers already(down to lack of communication or basically no communication between foundation Eng and superstructure eng) :) My own industry has it's fair share of idiots like all industries, but the building industry is definitely special, and I say that with my tongue curled up under my lower lip and my hand shaking frantically side to side. I'll have to do a Blog to explain it to the average lad who has no contact with them, because I don't want to pollute this thread.
    If you're doing a self-build, make sure you have 20 years experience in the building industry so you know the hen's teeth already, lads who actually pride themselves on a good job. Otherwise, be quick to stick the boot in when you see slop and be onsite EVERY day!!

I have amassed a serious amount of research (plenty paid for) at this point, and if you're in a similar situation to me, I've no trouble doing a Mega data dump on you, giving you the benefit of the last few years of my life. It's easy to get the basic information, the good stuff is kept secret for some reason and it can be like getting blood out of a stone.

Having said that, I can't recommend this book enough as a basic introduction to building science, Very nice lad who really know his stuff, and provides plenty of great information. Even if you are not building a house, reading this book will open your mind to problems that will appear over time, enabling you to read the future, like he says, buildings don't lie (Once you know how to read them)
    https://buildingsdontlie.com/

It would take ages to update all the details now on this thread, and I'm busy as hell organizing Rebar schedules , concrete etc..
    Touch wood this all goes well.
    Thanks for all your help to date
    I'll come back with a final pic, and a list of the areas I fooked up, mistakes I made.

start1.jpg?raw=1

start2.jpg?raw=1

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

moonlighting?

Yes, he worked for a Large company in Blackrock(I found out through google, I didn't initially analyze him because he had so many recommendations), and he took my job on under another company name, I should have copped on, when my calls were only be returned at night, never during the day. Anyway himself and another lad in work had set up a company in Maynooth and were doing my job (not very well, used a different roof system and block type then I specified, I outlined everything in an email to them at the start and they just did their own thing)

Technically not moonlighting as they were qualified Engs, let's call it Prick-lighting?

Start of Post #126 (above) explains a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

magnethead wrote: »
    Yes, he worked for a Large company in Blackrock(I found out through google, I didn't initially analyze him because he had so many recommendations), and he took my job on under another company name, I should have copped on, when my calls were only be returned at night, never during the day. Anyway himself and another lad in work had set up a company in Maynooth and were doing my job (not very well, used a different roof system and block type then I specified, I outlined everything in an email to them at the start and they just did their own thing)

Technically not moonlighting as they were qualified Engs, let's call it Prick-lighting?

Start of Post #126 (above) explains a bit more

wow... just read that post.

so they were actually undercutting the company they worked for???

exactly, and their direct Boss had already quoted the job, they were charging about €3K more and I was happy because everyone was talking about what a super-man engineer the guy was. I since found out he screwed up an ICF foundation in Cork, so maybe not that superman after all

Hi There,
    Finished off the outside, Man self building is tough, tough work, got some lovely strain injuries from moving moving scaffolding, hammering in millions of twisted nails, moving **** around, digging trenches, I was a bit naive about the amount of work involved for sure!! I'm almost broken and only finished first fix carpentry and plumbing :(

I think it's turned out better than the 3D vid in post 108 https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105666724&postcount=108

1.jpg?raw=1

2.jpg?raw=1

3.jpg?raw=1

The process has being a real eye opener, as normal IT guy, used to a normal transactional world, Pay for a service and you get that service, entering the building world has being a great laugh...I'm going to document the unbelievable dumbfockery I've come across, from bowed ICF walls, due to lack of obvious bracing (Lads get sent to Kerry for correction class, come back with lot's of bull wire and ratchets - idiots, to young Render guys, screwing in bits of 2x1 into my lead flashing to run a string line for their stop beads LOL, nothing a little welding didn't sort out , Super quality render job though )

4.jpg?raw=1

I caught and corrected so much dumb **** it would scare the hell out of you(I'm going to make a big blog out of it), if you ever thought about building your own place. It has being stressfull, BIGtime, but worth it and there's no way a builder could deliver the quality I got, for various reasons, It just wouldn't pay them to go to the lengths of overkill I've done on the building fabric alone.

just to give you a very high level insight, we live in a VERY small country with a very small market, there just are not enough complex jobs to raise the skill level enough to match the quality you will get in England/Germany. THere are plenty of idiots there too, but you will get some serious craftmen too and they will be a lot easier to locate.
    A large part of the problem, is training and standards, I can call myself a builder :) and that's it, pretty much says it all. I could do a months welding course and call myself a welder :)

I left a lot out of this "design thread"...but it doesn't matter in the slightest, because you can have the best plans in the world, but unless you can herd cats, it's going to go to hell once the building begins. It's all about materializing those plans.
    I've being lucky to have some seriously talented trades/craftsmen onsite, and some total gob****es that I had to show the door at the end of day 1.

I've haven't found a thread on the internet that really communicates the build process well enough, so keep watch here for my Blog link.
    In the end, you simply have no option, if you want your house built to a high level, you can only achieve this yourself, you have the most interest naturally and are not looking to run for pints on a Friday night.
    Having said all that, I'll just restate, how fooking hard building work is, man, if I had to do this as a full time job, instead of a second job after work (I finish at 2pm every day) I'd shoot myself in the head, I can only see this **** wearing you down to a nub.

Hole coring was fun though, the horizontal cores even more so then the vertical ones, plumber just wanted to kango through my poured floors...mmmm No!! :)

Advertisement