Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Kivaro wrote:
    The working migrants will be a benefit to the country. What we need to do going forward is to stop the migration that involves the migrants who sole purpose in picking Ireland is a lifetime on social welfare, free housing and free healthcare. When/if this crisis finally ends, there is no way that Ireland can sustain the social welfare bill. The government is currently borrowing money to pay for a lot of new programs plus the welfare bill.
    Can you please quantify the "social welfare bill"?

Specifically with relation to migrants who are "lifetime on social welfare, free housing and free healthcare".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

McGiver wrote: »
    Can you please quantify the "social welfare bill"?

Specifically with relation to migrants who are "lifetime on social welfare, free housing and free healthcare".

Difficult to quantify in Euro as social welfare does not publish such figures for nationality cost .

The link below from the 2016 census shows that non EU have higher rates of unemployment see the nationality graph .Those who got Irish citizenship who put this on the census maybe are regarded as irish .

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

A link from the Irish Times in 2018 on this issue of unemployment .

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/most-immigrants-doing-better-than-locals-but-africans-doing-worse-esri-1.3688697

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If we look at the statistic that only 40% of Africans who reside in Ireland, work in Ireland; that is a large number of people that Irish workers have to support. And that was before the current economic implosion.

Even if this worldwide crisis abates, Ireland cannot indefinitely take in economic refugees from all over the globe in the guise of asylum applicants. The well-financed and seasoned lobbyists of asylum NGO CEOs in Ireland will do their utmost to keep their gravy train afloat by using every excuse under the sun to continue flooding Ireland with non-EU migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kivaro wrote: »
    If we look at the statistic that only 40% of Africans who reside in Ireland, work in Ireland; that is a large number of people that Irish workers have to support. And that was before the current economic implosion.

Even if this worldwide crisis abates, Ireland cannot indefinitely take in economic refugees from all over the globe in the guise of asylum applicants. The well-financed and seasoned lobbyists of asylum NGO CEOs in Ireland will do their utmost to keep their gravy train afloat by using every excuse under the sun to continue flooding Ireland with non-EU migrants.

the cynicism in this post is matched only by those who feed off said gravy train.

Kivaro wrote: »

Crazy amounts of money is spent on solicitor fees related to the asylum industry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

A Sudanese asylum seeker went on to commit a terror attack in Paris yesterday.

https://www.dw.com/en/france-launches-terror-probe-after-two-killed-in-stabbing/a-53017910

How can a single person on the continent think that it's acceptable to allow boat-loads of people with no qualifications, documents, medical or criminal records to arrive in Europe at an uncontrolled rate? Oh wait, because the people that allow this don't have to deal with them and/or profit from businesses that hire illegal workers. It's an absolute disgrace. Those who push for open borders are dangerous people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

We've nothing here to support emigration at this time.
    Im living in the middle of a rural area and the nearest house is a nice walk away.
    But I still am not saying that I'm alright Jack, open up the flood gates.

I'm going to have to be practical here and suggest allowing a heap of migrants in so as the ivory tower people can tick off a few boxes, is madness and unfair to be undermining migrants and be enslaving them here to do the work that is capable of being done by ourselves.

Its a double edged sword, the bellends here won't pay a proper wage for the Irish and then they'll employ migrants on the cheap.

Therefore screwing everyone.

I often see the South Americans in Gort lined up waiting to be picked up by a farmer or landscaper to work for the day.

Some get 80 euro a day, others supposedly 120 euro a day.
    They're hard workers and came here legitimately and legally to work in the meat industry.
    Similar cultures to ourselves and no trouble or shell shocked from war, indoctrination by false religious teachings etc

If people are going to be brought here, they should be getting therapy, thought about moderate living and that it's not their religion which is the problem but the false interpretation of it.

I read all the holy books and different translations, I'm not a Christian myself but I know that that holy book the Bible is as dangerous as any other holy book in the wrong hands.

We can't be letting in every rag tag without being looked after first, imagine someone coming from a war zone intent on killing us, just one out of a thousand could go on a rampage and stab people indiscriminately on a busy street.

Ones too many a thousand never enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tropicalbeach

Yes Ireland and the rest of the EU plus Non-EU should help anyway then can including taking refugees in... not economic refugees,, but refugees from persecution and terror and violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yes Ireland and the rest of the EU plus Non-EU should help anyway then can including taking refugees in... not economic refugees,, but refugees from persecution and terror and violence.

How many can we sign you up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And where do you propose to put them, how do you plan to pay to house, feed, clothe and provide medical care for them? How do you propose to verify that they are what they claim?

Plus with European countries struggling to deal with the Covid crisis and the strain on health care, economies and the impact on the population, this is frankly a non-runner at the moment anyway.

I'll also ask. Why should we? Ireland has enough problems as it is that we can't deal with, without taking on more. We're not responsible for the problems in these countries and we already provide peace keeping forces and several hundred million annually in aid packages.
    Not bad for a small island with a population of less than 5 million. We've done/are already doing our part

Helping does not mean bringing the problem home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

but but but irish people went here and there years ago.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    but but but irish people went here and there years ago.

Yeah the old reply they worked and did not get handouts .

How many can we sign you up for?

i'll take in as many as you :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And where do you propose to put them, how do you plan to pay to house, feed, clothe and provide medical care for them? How do you propose to verify that they are what they claim?

Plus with European countries struggling to deal with the Covid crisis and the strain on health care, economies and the impact on the population, this is frankly a non-runner at the moment anyway.

I'll also ask. Why should we? Ireland has enough problems as it is that we can't deal with, without taking on more. We're not responsible for the problems in these countries and we already provide peace keeping forces and several hundred million annually in aid packages.
    Not bad for a small island with a population of less than 5 million. We've done/are already doing our part

Helping does not mean bringing the problem home.

at least every country could make a start..say take 50 people..
    that's a lot of people saved from death/terror/terrible conditions.
    I know Ireland has done a lot on the international stage but every country should have to take in a certain amount of refugees based on their
    resources..but 50 each country would be a start..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ireland has currently almost 8,000 asylum seekers in Direct Provisions centres and hotels all around this country at the moment, while their lengthy and expensive asylum claims are being processed. We have already given many tens of thousands of other asylum seekers refugee status, and we are housing these tens of thousands, and providing them with welfare payments, free health and education. Not all remain on welfare, but many do.
    And another point to remember is that we are also sending almost a €1 billion overseas in other aid.

We have done enough. With the upcoming global depression, the Irish worker just cannot afford to sustain our generous helping hand anymore.
    We need to focus on keeping our own population alive during this deadly pandemic and all of the country's financial resources are needed for the negative economic consequences that may last for many years to come.

Leave us alone about taking in any more migrants; we have enough on our plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've no objection to helping Syrians out and we are doing that but that's all we should take in from now on.

Africa will be rotten with covid 19 in a few months so the European door needs to be frimly shut to that continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

When you think that in the past few years, we have been cutting down on essential services while importing more and more illegal immigrants that don't even want to be there. This Sudanese asshole said that he hated living in France because there were too many infidels...

Imagine using money to improve the conditions of our own people, instead of using it to provide upkeep for those who hate us with fiery passion and want to kill us, and destroy our culture, replacing it with the same extremism with which they claim to be fleeing from.

Some lovely Congolese lads in Greece . I hear Leo wants to bring in some unaccompanied minors from Greece ! !!

We are not here to integrate but to dominate .

https://www.facebook.com/EllinikaSnaps/videos/536424117271421/?t=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

rgossip30 wrote:
    Some lovely Congolese lads in Greece . I hear Leo wants to bring in some unaccompanied minors from Greece ! !! We are not here to integrate but to dominate .

Jesus they look off their heads.

I feel sorry for the people they're carrying out brain surgery on tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

The surge in asylum seekers began in the late 90s, fuelled by the Good Friday Agreement loophole, the booming economy and the internet, which allowed news to travel very quickly. So we've had over 20 years now to assess the results. Broadly speaking, the majority of asylum seekers are deemed to have no valid claim for asylum and have managed to stay through having children (pre 2004), leave to remain after many appeals, or simply disappearing after a deportation order was issued. I've always thought it was an unpromising start - that for most, their very presence here is based on a lie, which has been exacerbated by the Irish media's Pravda-esque refusal to even admit that this is the case.

It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I've known Irish people who were well-meaning and welcoming to newcomers in the belief that they were refugees fleeing injustice, and who spoke up for them and gave generously of their time and money, only to end up feeling rather foolish when the "refugees", as soon as they got residency and social housing, would go on months-long holidays in their home country every year, drive around in expensive cars and zip back and forth to the UK on some unspecified "business" while rarely having any kind of conventional job. Sorry if that's a stereotype but I'm afraid it's true in many cases. It trashes the goodwill that might have been extended to more deserving recipients of help. People don't like being taken for mugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement