Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resistance bands

Options
  • 19-03-2020 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

How do you know which to use ?

I bought one that said large and was 7 quid in sports direct... anyway it doesn't fit around my thighs and I'm not even that big !! What a sad way to celebrate losing 2 and a half stone lol

Can anyone recommend one to me to buy ? I'm a beginner and looking for help with with glute gains for doing squats donkey kicks etc from home while gym closed !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Or are the band's just a marketing thing and make no difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Or are the band's just a marketing thing and make no difference?

What are you trying to do with it?

Bands provide resistance for weight lifting like movements. That’s it.

Mellor wrote: »
    What are you trying to do with it?

Bands provide resistance for weight lifting like movements. That’s it.

Well I see all the fitness YouTubers using them doing like glute kickbacks are they unnecessary then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well I see all the fitness YouTubers using them doing like glute kickbacks are they unnecessary then ?

They add resistance to a movement. So the muscles involved in the glute kickback, for example, have to work that bit harder to complete the movement when the band is resisting the movement.

It's fundamentally just the same as using a dumbbell, for example, to add resistance to movements. Because doing them with zero resistance would be of little use.

They are necessary if you want to do glute kickbacks and don’t have access to a kickback machine.
    What do you want to use them for?

• Advertisement

They are necessary if you want to do glute kickbacks and don’t have access to a kickback machine.
    What do you want to use them for?

It says on the one I have large and 18lbs and it won't fit around my thighs :/ prob need to wait til thighs magically disappear lol

Doing online workouts from home with my kettlebell like for core shoulders lower body etc wanted to add in the band when doing glute stuff like all the girls on YouTube do now I'm like is it a gimic lol

It’s not a gimmick. You just don’t know how to use it. And probably bought the wrong type of band.

It’s not a gimmick. You just don’t know how to use it. And probably bought the wrong type of band.

Ok sorry.. I just bought it Friday cause I knew I'd be self isolating.

It's this one https://ie.sportsdirect.com/ptp-microband-760668#colcode=76066816

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just do them standing with the band around your ankles...

image_iphone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im trying to get the hang of them at the moment, i only have 2 of the long thin ones. Banded pressups work and if you can tie them to a table leg, door handle you can add resistance to crunches, various kind of rows, stand on them for curls and raises.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just do them standing with the band around your ankles...

image_iphone.jpg

So I presume the like massive ones online from Adidas are for around the thighs lol

I'd use those mini bands around my thighs just above my knees for some exercises. You probably don't need to have it much further up your thighs than that. And it's going to be tight around your thighs but you should be able to push against it.

I'd use those mini bands around my thighs just above my knees for some exercises. You probably don't need to have it much further up your thighs than that. And it's going to be tight around your thighs but you should be able to push against it.

The band won't stay right when I do that so presume I need bigger ones lol. As in the band scrunched up

The band won't stay right when I do that so presume I need bigger ones lol. As in the band scrunched up

Doesn't matter if it's scrunched up. It will still provide resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a very good video and to the point

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They scrunch for everyone!
    The lower you put them the better really, too high and it's less effective.

Doesn't matter if it's scrunched up. It will still provide resistance

Thank you for the help ill try it today for a workout. 13 days self isolating finally feeling better ! Sound

GreeBo wrote: »
    They scrunch for everyone!
    The lower you put them the better really, too high and it's less effective.

Didn't know that thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

For anyone planning on using bands for at home workouts John Meadows posted a PPL programme on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/pjeudmtmEU4

Advertisement