Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 09:48   #1
hurler32

VHI worth it?

With kids facing college etc , funds are tighter than they were. Makes me wonder is 200 PM for our family for VHI essential .
As it happens ive had a acid reflux issue recently so went to doc start of January to get referral for camera in stomach just to make sure all ok, purely precautionary. Got a call yesterday to meet consultant to see my story ( and get 150 euro) before i am given hospital appointment for camera . So i waited about 2 months to get referral, i wonder if id no VHI would i have been a whole lot longer?? Hence is it worth having my 2400 a year vhi policy.??
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 10:20   #2
JustAThought

I have to say I let mine lapse when times were tight but I had a bad run of health and then a car crash and really regretted it.Ironically when money abounded but I worked a 6/70 hour week I could never have taken the time off for hospital & doctor visits nor would I have spent the e100 a visit two or three times a week for physio, nor been able to justify all the scans/MRI’s etc at 4/600 a go. But -it lapsed and now I have a pre-existing condituon & the price of new coverage or being sble to get new coverage will be an issue.

But, having watched a loved one be terribly sick and die and the massive difference between public and private care (6 in a 1980’s ward in Beaumount versus Beacon private) I would really say to make the sacrifice and keep it. If you or your kids are brought in as an emergency you can always say you dont have vhi - like half the city does -and then all treatment is free -but you may have long waits ( or not). If you or your eife, God forbid, get cancer or a degenarative condition that needs medicsl help quickly -then you really want your vhi & not to be waiting months for a list to free up all the time while you get worse & worse.

Having been treated for the aftermath of s car crash for the past year on the public system ( I dont have vhi snymore) it is a huge relief to be able to get treatment snd not worry about the cost or bills but the waiting times are long enough and you have to be on your game to protest and ask for things ( scans, consultants etc) as they are watching their costs snd department budgets. I would have had s full and proper diagnoses 8 months before if I had had private cover - my recovery and treatment is far behind what it should be and it will be much harder for the damage to bd fixed as it went complained about but undiagnosed for 8 months as there was no budget for cat scans unless if was ‘really needed’ ( wait list for consultant 4 months no consultant referral, no cat scan -then further lengthy wait for cat scan).

For so many loved ones you are really taking s gamble.

Good few years back I had problems with my eyesight & ended up in the eye & ear hospital - had I vhi -I said I wasnt sure as I might be on the family policy. whats the problem -waiting list for neurologist was 6 months. Turns out they thought I had a brain tumor (I didn’t). If I had vhi the appointment choice was Tuesday or Thursday.

you dont want to be making those choices for your children.

Last edited by JustAThought; 13-02-2020 at 10:24.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:37   #3
sbsquarepants

I don't have it, never did. Like all insurance it's money wasted until you need to claim!

I'd like to have it for peace of mind i suppose, but there's just always something more pressing to spend the money on. I've been lucky in that i'm generally healthy. I've been to the doctors twice or 3 times i think in the past 25 odd years since i started working, and haven't had any major accidents.

I hurt my neck a few years back (disc problem) and needed an MRI - couldn't wait for a year or whatever the wait was and so paid privately to get it done that day - cost me €750. 2 more minor work accidents but the job footed the bill for all that - would have only been at best a grand anyway combined.

Family VHI for that period would have come to what, €50K ish?

It actually transpired that the beacon messed up the billing and credited me the cost of the MRI 2 or 3 days later, so quids in all round so far!
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:56   #4
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
You should pay your VHI before you pay your mortgage. One is more important than the other.
13-02-2020, 10:57   #5
Squiggle

€750 for an MRI is about three times the price of what you can get it done for elsewhere.

In the terms of the OP's question Private health insurance gets you seen quicker for elective procedures .

If you are brought in an ambulance to a public hospital after an accident, stroke, heart attack etc. you will get the same treatment, public or private. The most expensive private plan will not get you a private room in this scenario if there isn't one available.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 11:07   #6
stratowide

Stop eating processed rubbish,don't smoke,cut down on the drink.
Lift heavy weights,do some high intensity exercise at near 80% your MHR.

Get your 8 hours sleep every night.Non negotiable this one.

Work on your mobility.Stay supple and flexible.

These wont guarantee you wont end up in hospital sometime but will go a long way to keep you out of it.

Oh and they are free.
(4) thanks from:
13-02-2020, 11:10   #7
Raconteuse

Cancer could strike ANYone, no matter how healthy they are.

Health insurance is absolutely worth it. It perplexes me when people ask whether it is tbh.
13-02-2020, 11:12   #8
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurler32 View Post
Hence is it worth having my 2400 a year vhi policy.??

That’s the whole point of insurance. It’s not a savings scheme, it’s basically buying peace of mind. Whether you’re getting value with the policy you’re paying for is the real question, and there’s no way of knowing that without knowing what else is available to you. Is there some reason you have to stay on that specific policy with that specific provider?

Health insurance nowadays is absolutely essential IMO, especially with the healthcare sector the way it’s gone in Ireland and Government doesn’t appear too bothered to address it, so health insurance is just a way of preparing or proofing yourself and your family in case of a time when you might find yourself really up shìt creek, and you’ll wish you’d remembered to take a paddle.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 11:17   #9
Buttonftw

Put away half as much per month as you would pay for insurance and you'll be fine and/or check out the Hospital Saturday Fund for more day-to-day stuff.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 11:28   #10
cjmc

[quote="JustAThought;112531490"]

But,. whats the problem -waiting list for neurologist was 6 months. Turns out they thought I had a brain tumor (I didn’t).
A neurologist in 6 months ??

A couple of years more like for a neurologist, though once he/she diagnoses you you can go straight into the public system I think .
13-02-2020, 12:22   #11
Stateofyou

Some questions I have~
If we pay our PRSI, why should we also have to pay for private health service in order to get the best outcome?
Why are the waiting lists so long for public health services?
Are we not collecting enough tax to pay for excellent and timely public health services?
It seems to me it would be more cost effective to raise health taxes a bit for a better Public Health Service so we didn't have to pay privately on top of PRSI. Surely it would save people money if we all contributed a bit more?
Which other countries have more successful models and what tax rate do they pay?

You always hear Canadians talking about how great their system is, and how they get to focus on getting well instead of dealing with bills and insurance company squabbles + rules.

"Pre-existing conditions" rule is BULLSH*T. Why can't we legislate that the f-k out of our system? Even the Americans sorted that one out.

Last edited by Stateofyou; 13-02-2020 at 12:25.
(2) thanks from:
13-02-2020, 13:04   #12
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
€750 for an MRI is about three times the price of what you can get it done for elsewhere.

In the terms of the OP's question Private health insurance gets you seen quicker for elective procedures .

If you are brought in an ambulance to a public hospital after an accident, stroke, heart attack etc. you will get the same treatment, public or private. The most expensive private plan will not get you a private room in this scenario if there isn't one available.
I'm reasonably sure it was €750, was about 10 years ago though so i could be wrong? Also, i was in agony and just wanted it to stop, i wasn't shopping around or going anywhere to save a few bob!

VHI is OK when you're getting on and things are likely to go wrong for you, to get any "value" out of it when you're younger you'd really need to be quite unlucky IMO.

In my own personal case it would have proved to be 50 grand down the drain. Most people my age would likely have similar stories, if you have a few spare grand a year then yea, go for it, if your job will provide it, then it's a great perk absolutely.

I just always found something more pressing to eat that money though.
13-02-2020, 13:12   #13
jimmycrackcorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateofyou View Post
Some questions I have~
If we pay our PRSI, why should we also have to pay for private health service in order to get the best outcome?
Why are the waiting lists so long for public health services?
Are we not collecting enough tax to pay for excellent and timely public health services?
It seems to me it would be more cost effective to raise health taxes a bit for a better Public Health Service so we didn't have to pay privately on top of PRSI. Surely it would save people money if we all contributed a bit more?
Which other countries have more successful models and what tax rate do they pay?

You always hear Canadians talking about how great their system is, and how they get to focus on getting well instead of dealing with bills and insurance company squabbles + rules.

"Pre-existing conditions" rule is BULLSH*T. Why can't we legislate that the f-k out of our system? Even the Americans sorted that one out.
Or next government is going to make the tax base to make it more difficult to pay for services like health.

You could argue that everyone should be paying for PHI including the less well off. Is imagine if they were to put the money spent on beer and gags towards health insurance then they'd be able to afford it.

Even though I have it for my family, when one of my kids needed urgent surgery, they were able to get it done quickly under the pubic system.

When it comes to waiting lists though, that's when it's needed.
13-02-2020, 13:23   #14
Candie

When you need it, you'll be glad you prioritized it. That's life, everything feels like a waste of money until you're in a position to appreciate how different things could have been. Like house insurance, I hope I never need it but it could possibly be a lifesaver if I do.
13-02-2020, 13:28   #15
BeerWolf

Insurance is one of those things that is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion