Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI worth it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

That's what public system is for. There's no difference between quality of care in public and private systems, or so we're told. The difference is the length of queue to get treated.

It would be uneconomic if people could pick and choose when to join health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Life is a pre-existing condition. Utter bs, it should be illegal for insurance companies to do this. What happens when people get seriously sick or even die because they can't afford an out of pocket expense to treat a health condition that insurance won't cover.

So you think it's OK for someone to take out a policy only because they know they will submit a claim for thousands immediately?

Look up the definition of insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So you think it's OK for someone to take out a policy only because they know they will submit a claim for thousands immediately?

Look up the definition of insurance

Yes. You look up the definition of insurance and look into other countries who have a better system while you're at it. It's a pool of money there when needed. People deserve to live, ffs. What a comment. If it were you or your loved on in that position you'd change your tune quick enough. If other countries can get it right, even the US who have made it illegal for insurance companies to base coverage on pre-existing conditions (and there are no waiting conditions either), then there's no excuse for it not work like that here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

So if I'm reading this right, if I get health insurance, then go to a doctor and request some scans on my joints because I have joint pain, the vhi will turn around and say "nope, you were in pain before you saw the doctor no coverage for you"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

rn wrote: »
    Also I believe we've age adjusted community rating. Rewarding people who join earlier in life, while costing more for those that join later.
    2% for each year over 34.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

So if I'm reading this right, if I get health insurance, then go to a doctor and request some scans on my joints because I have joint pain, the vhi will turn around and say "nope, you were in pain before you saw the doctor no coverage for you"?
    It's more than likely a no. However each policy has different requirements.

And there's always the public system for you. The quicker you are into the system, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Anyone get letters about a reduction in their premium for 3 months, i havent yet anyways.
    Just VHI said on April 20 they write to all customers informing them of a circa 50% reduction in their policy for 3 months in May

Advertisement