Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 insight driver

I quit using patches about April of 1993. I started smoking when I was a young teenager since both my parents smoked. When my dentist told me my gums would not heal until I quit smoking and that he could prescribe the patch for me (the laws had recently changed in the US to allow dentists to prescribe nicotine patches for patients) I accepted his prescription. The patches I got were of the three-step variety, to be changed to one with a lower level each month. I went one week with the strongest patches but they caused a red spot on my skin so I started to leave it off until I couldn't stand the craving, then putting a patch on. By the end of two more weeks I was no longer using any patches at all. I went for years obsessively watching smokers and remembering how good that drag of hot smoke felt going down my lungs. I could smell the smoke coming from cars that were in front of me on the highway. It finally faded to the point that I don't even think about it any more. I simply don't smoke.

For me, it was an insidious habit that was a monkey on my back. I had been smoking for over 25 years before I quit. I am glad now, to be an ex-smoker. One thing I notice every day is that my lungs feel empty (meaning that there is no phlegm that I have to hack out of them). It is a good feeling to be able to take a huge deep breath and not have the urge to cough when I do so.

It is ironic that culture now is to the point that smokers are such a minority that feels they are being discriminated against. They are, but most of them realize that they ought to quit so there is no great outcry against the constantly rising taxes on the death sticks. I live in California where there are second-hand smoke laws, so that any bar that has hired help is not allowed to have smokers in the building. You always see a few smokers outside a bar having a cigarette before they can go back in to drink their drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I live in California where there are second-hand smoke laws, so that any bar that has hired help is not allowed to have smokers in the building. You always see a few smokers outside a bar having a cigarette before they can go back in to drink their drinks.
    Yep we've got that in Ireland now as well... a workplace ban on smoking.
    Groups of people huddled together outside bars puffing away is a familiar sight to us :)
    England are following suit soon AFAIK.
    It's a great way to get talking to random weirdos you wish you hadn't made eye-contact with :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

smallpaws wrote:
    I quit in '93, after I had a very vivid nightmare about my lungs literally speaking to me and saying that if I quit now, they could fix the damage, but if I didn't, they wouldn't be able to.

Hehehe nightmare or LSD trip?

I stopped smoking through the Alan Carr method, still smoke a bit of pot though - anyone got a cure for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

im off them 2years i feel healthy ,patches helped me for two weeks then i went without.hopefuly now il shed the extra pounds and i will feeleven better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Off them 4 years . That said I have been known to have a very rare one (every six months or so).
    I found the microtabs helped a lot. Patches just made me feel "stoned".
    Recently a doctor told me that ex-smokers return to the same life expectancy curve as everyone else in 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I'm off them four years in Feb. Had tried various ways of quitting and finally went and got hypnosis. bBoth myself and Mrs Cushtie went the same day and we are still of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Native Tongue

I quit New Year's Day. I decided I was going to quit a couple of weeks beforehand, and that I was going to smoke my brains out for that time. I had no particular reason for quitting, I just decided I was going to. Then at the turn of midnight on New Year's I stopped. For some reason I haven't found it too bad, I thought it would be hell. I must admit I'm enjoying being able to smell again! Also my mum laughed at me when I told her I was quitting which made my blood boil, and my will to prove her wrong has provided me with further incentive

I put the money I would have spent on the fags into a money box. 50 euro a week is an extra 2600 euro a year...big incentive for me. If I can save that money I'll be able to go travelling with my girlfriend! If I break it I'll give whatever money is in the box to charity.

I bought the chewing gum but haven't used it yet. I find that having it as a reserve is almost good enough for me...so if I ever get to a ridiculous state I can always chew the gum. Only just over a week away from getting 99% of the Nicotine out of my body so hopefully can stay away from the gum till then!

I've started reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Interesting read so far, hopefully will help me enjoy stopping more than I am at the moment!

Every time I've thought about quitting in the past I knew I'd never succeed. It was always because my girlfriend was pushing me into it. The only reason I think I can do it this time is because I made the decision for myself, not for anyone else.

Fair play to all you people who have gone months, years and decades without smoking. Hopefully I'll be in the same position as you in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

The Smurfman has quit too, had my last one on January 2nd. It's tough enough but I'm still on the wagon, one day at a time and all that. I must say that I do miss them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Tomorrow morning I shall walk this road.
    I have far too many issues surrounding me at the moment telling me it is time to quit the cigs.

So..... you can expect me to be surfing this forum often in the next few weeks until the cravings start to subside!

I can do this! I WILL do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bastack

I gave up when I smoked 20 in a row sitting on my hole bored one Monday night! I was disgusted when I looked down and the ashtray was jam packed with cigs... I was soo pissed off with my self I have not had one since.

I also read the Alan Carr book about 3 weeks after giving up and there was one line in the book that is repeated through out the book ( I believe that book brain washes messages into your brain - in a good way) 'There is no such thing as one more smoke!' and it is so true, If you have 'just one more' you have gone right back to the stage of being a full time smoker.

That line helped me for all the 6 years I have been off them! I will never go back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

I'm off them since the 2nd. Mixture of the girlfriend who doesn't smoke and the fact that I have asthma and yeah they went up again in price. Yeah I know stupid to start in the place. I smoked for 10 years. Smoked 20 JP Blue a day, then recently cut down to 10 Marlboro Lights. I'm not entirely off them as I've been chewing the gum like crazy! i tried the patches before and didn't find them any use. The gum gives me a psychological edge, like I'm doing something with my mouth. Oh and also the pain in my jaw and temples from chewing takes the attention away from the cravings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JoeSixpack

Had my last cigarette on Sunday night. So not off them long but can honestly say that i have no desire to go back on them. No withdrawal symptoms at all. Just so glad to be off them.

Can't recommend the Allen Carr book enough.

So to anybody considering giving up have a read of the book, sure you've got nothing to lose as you can smoke while your reading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

Hello all!

I have climbed the 72hr barrier as of 5.45pm today. Unfortunately I still feel a bit pangy tonight which is disappointing as I was hoping most of the physical cravings would have disappeared by now!!

I have attempted many times using the Allen Carr easy way (lasted 3 months); the Allen Carr only way to stop permanently (lasted one month didnt finish the last chapter for some reason; cold turkey (lasted 3 and 4 weeks); patches (lasted 3 weeks and had 5 fags as well) and finally now= cold turkey + hypnotherapy. I thought the Hypno had worked a treat on the first night- I went straight out on the piss with a friend who was over from UK for one night and there wasnt a bother on me. I wasnt even tempted to smoke and my hangover was almost non-existent the next day (suggesting to me that fags actually account for most of hangover).....

The last 2 nights have been worse and despite strong motivation the irrational 'demon' in me has wavered on several occasions....

Thanks for the forum it is helping me to keep going, miserable as I feel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thanks for checking in and keep up the good work.
    The first few days are always the hardest (or so i'm told. I never usually make it that far.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ive been off since october.

why i gave them up, i was on 20 a day, and decided I'd like to get fit, and possibly run the cork marathon in june.

so a friend, who's a big fitness freak, took me out for a run, and i couldnt get more than 50 yards without stopping, out of breath and coughing up a lung.

i decided at that moment to stop, and havent smoked a cigarette since.

allen carr's book was a great help, and i still read it now.

unfortunately though, i tore my ankle ligaments playing football so the marathon is out, but I didnt relapse and go back on the cigarettes when i was laid up at home with nothing to do, so I'm quite proud of that.

now, i tell people I don't smoke, as opposed to "im off them"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Quit 3 years ago after getting a severe chest infection where I couldn't even walk up the stairs without having to sit down. Had no interest in cigs for the 3 weeks while sick so I just went cold turkey after that.
    My mother gave them up for new years after being a complete addict for 50 years. She went cold turkey too and is still off them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Me and MOH are off them 6 weeks. It definitely helps when two of you do it at the same time. I have been off them before and actually stayed off them before for 18 months but lapsed back after a traumatic event in family. I always go cold turkey and would absolutely recommend it, if you can put up with being a bit of a grump for three days.

MOH always uses Nicorette gum but the last time he used them, he actually ended up addicted to the gum. I know it's not smoking but its just swapping one addiction for another whereas if you go cold turkey, you're learning to deal with losing an addiction!

Anyway, we're still off them. So far so good!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 orla3999

Hi Smokers

Just want to let everyone know that I had been smoking for twenty years. I tried everything to give up hypnotherapy, allan carr, patches you name it. I then went for laser treatment and I havent smoked since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 orla3999

orla3999]Hi Smokers

Just want to let everyone know that I had been smoking for twenty years. I tried everything to give up hypnotherapy, allan carr, patches you name it. I then went for laser treatment and I havent smoked since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Went off them myself on Jan 2nd as did a poster above - still off them five months Sunday week. Had one drag in Spain when i was outta my head drunk and still threw it away - !

the odd one a day for 2 years + 6.5 years x 20 per day fair habit to break not outta the woods yet though!!!

Keep it up to everyone still of them; they are starting to look silly now at this stage and tehy are €7! (- were €6.35 when i went off them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Well, fancy running into you here, DYB! :D

Congrats on your (nearly) 6 months. My 72 hours just started about two and a half hours ago... time to go to bed, I reckon.*

Jeez, this sticky goes back a long, long time. I'll turn to it again over the coming days & weeks, no doubt. Thanks to everyone for the advice/experience!

[* I'm going sick turkey, à la Allen Carr (and maybe one or two other like-minded sources). One day at a time, sweet Jebus...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Haven't had a cigarette since last Sunday and feeling great.

The big test will be next weekend when I go out with my smoking friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

orla3999 wrote:
    Hi Smokers

I'm a lost cause and all the above didn't work for me either. Where did you have the laser treatment and how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Bastack wrote:
    I gave up when I smoked 20 in a row sitting on my hole bored one Monday night! I was disgusted when I looked down and the ashtray was jam packed with cigs... I was soo pissed off with my self I have not had one since.

I also read the Alan Carr book about 3 weeks after giving up and there was one line in the book that is repeated through out the book ( I believe that book brain washes messages into your brain - in a good way) 'There is no such thing as one more smoke!' and it is so true, If you have 'just one more' you have gone right back to the stage of being a full time smoker.

That line helped me for all the 6 years I have been off them! I will never go back....

Me too! Me too!!! :D

Fantastic book if you're open to letting it work. It does rearrange the way your brain thinks about fags and smoking, yes, brainwashing in a way... a very good way! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

peckerhead wrote:
    Well, fancy running into you here, DYB! :D

Congrats on your (nearly) 6 months. My 72 hours just started about two and a half hours ago... time to go to bed, I reckon.*

Jeez, this sticky goes back a long, long time. I'll turn to it again over the coming days & weeks, no doubt. Thanks to everyone for the advice/experience!

[* I'm going sick turkey, à la Allen Carr (and maybe one or two other like-minded sources). One day at a time, sweet Jebus...]

(Hey Peckerhead best of luck with starting to quit!),

I've had a lapse lads and im not happy with meself one bit!!would have been off them 6 months next week and now this... drove back to Mayo on Friday last smoked one that night ( was in my car somehow...? was it god lol??) back in Dublin Sunday night went out bought 20 smoked the lot had 2 on Monday was off work doing nothing of course and then had 4 on Tuesday evening so ive had 26 since Friday last, im really surpised at myself here i was doing so well anyway back off them now today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Quit 3 years ago after getting a severe chest infection

Ditto, although the first time I gave them up was via the Allen Carr book, I was off them for nearly two years until I had a joint (which had some nicotine) and I went back on them, slowly at first but then the cravings increased, so was an on/off smoker for a year, then had a death in the family went back on them for about a year, smoking roughly 10 a day but stopped finally two days before Christmas 2006. Basically I couldn't hardly breath, espicially on Christmas night, I was literally gasping for breath I was too terrified to sleep because I was convinced I would die in my sleep and something in my head just clicked, although I hadn't smoked for two days prior to this I knew it was those ****ing cigarettes and I have not wanted one since. I prefer living and breathing, I did cause some damage in that I use an inhaler but there is a vast improvement over the last six months, however if I am out with friends who smoke or I am around smoke, my lungs are in bits the next day. Also I used to suffer terrible sinus problems, my hearing and smelling were deeply affected and now I am getting those back. Its great not smoking. I didn't really use willpower because I was just turned off them, and yes I gained weight but now I am losing that so I am eating fantastic and looking it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Alan Carr and exercise.
    The increase in stamina when jogging and swimming in particular is motivation. Still have the pangs sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

I gave up smoking 4 months ago, I still have cravings especially after food. I wasn't badly addicted, say 5 or 6 a day, I have some coughing and mucus but overall it was a great move. Used nicotine gum which made me sick, then even the thought of smoking made me sick and this got me through the two week barrier. Number 1 tactic is willpower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nordie wrote:
    I'm a lost cause and all the above didn't work for me either. Where did you have the laser treatment and how much?

What the hell do lasers have to do with quiting smoking?

I've had a lapse lads and im not happy with meself one bit!!!
    Aaaargh! Get right back up there now dumbyearbook, and don't be discouraging me!

Just hand it over to the Higer Power... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 orika1

I am off cigs now for a year and a half. I was a heavy smoker - around 30 a day. I was seriously addicted - I would be thinking about my first one in the morning when I would be smoking my last one at night! I really depended on them and I really thought that I would smoke until the day I died, I thought it was impossible to give up.

Then I tried hypnosis - just one session. Now it wasn't miraculous or anything, I still had to use a huge amount of will power - I found it very hard. I couldn't understand what people were talking about when they said that cravings would pass - for me for the first 4 months it was just one big looooooooong craving, it never really stopped - it was so hard, but I think the hypnosis just gave me that extra edge I needed to resist.

After the first 4 months for me it was easier and now I never really think about them - well very very rarely anyway. It is well worth it. If I can do it anybody can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I quit over 8 years ago- (is it really that long ago?) and I haven't looked back. I must have smoked for 12 years, since I was a teen. Like a lot of smokers I hated myself for the habit and desperately wanted to give up, but without the pain of withdrawal of course. The crunch time for me came when I needed to buy a house- I needed every cent I could get. I just went cold turkey and with the help of my partner I managed to kick the old habit. I put a little money away each month to fund a new hobby i was interested in and i found this a great motivational tool. That and plenty of excercise and fresh air; along with the continuous support and encouragement of my partner helped me stay on the straight and narrow. I had a few silly slips, the illicit smoke or two at the end of a drunken night or a few cigarillos on holidays...but thankfully I gradually "grew out" of this over time. "Never say never" and all that but i've had plenty of difficult, stressful times over the past few years and I've never been tempted to reach for a cigarette. I think the greatest help to anyone trying to give up is the support and encouragement of a partner or close friend, just because someone's been off them for a week or two doesn't mean they won't still have their down times and need your support. It's great that forums like this exist now to help and inform others; that and the smoking ban are two very useful aids to anyone thinking about quitting now. The biggest realisation for me and most other ex-smokers I reckon is that, yes life goes on, food is still good, nights out are still fun etc. Stopping smoking does not affect your enjoyment of life, life is better, far, far better without them; so good luck to all those smokers who are thinking about quitting and well done to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

I was off the smokes twice for a period of a year during all of my teens and early twenties. Was never really a heavy smoker butt still found it hard to kick the habit. I always went cold turkey every new years eve and would see how long I could last.

I gave them up on new years eve 2000, but did it along with a few friends this time, and had a bet. The bet was a good incentive as you just did not want to get beaten. I got a 10 year old bottle of whiskey out of it, which I still have and which serves as a good reminder.

They say the first 10 years are the hardest:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Off them 2 years and 2 weeks now, not that I am counting or anything :-)

I gave them up one day because I couldn't breathe. I couldn't gte enough air into my lungs and I thought I was going to die. So haven't touched a cig since. I since found out that I have hayfever induced asthma or some such and have an inhaler for those times it gets bad. Been having loads of hayfever sinus troubles since I stopped smoking but hoping all that goes away once my lungs get used to being clean again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I accidentally gave them up just over 5 years ago. I had bought the Alan Carr book in Easons (a 3 for 2 deal, it was the third book I chose and it was really just for "maybe one day..."). About 6 months later, I was taking a trip from Cork to Dublin on the train and decided at the last minute just to take it along to read it. I smoked all the way up to Dublin, finished about half the book, smoked all the way home and finished off the book as we pulled into Cork station. I had 2 cigarettes left in the box and since nowhere was open (it was around 10pm) I decided to keep them for home. I polished them off quick sharpish when I got home, and went to bed.

Next morning, I went to the shop, but just didn't feel like buying fags. Got some milk, a newspaper etc, but the urge to buy fags was gone. I've not looked at a cigarette since.

I had no real intention of giving them up -- I just had nothing else to read, so I was a little surprised when this happened and to still be off them even 24 hours later, never mind 5 years is a testament to how good that book is. At the time, I lived in a shared house with 2 other heavy smokers, and it just never affected me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Cold turkey at first then patches for a week and a half along with the carr book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

I quit for a year after reading Allen Carr (best book ever) but unfortunately was at a house party one night last October, and made the BIG MISTAKE... ah sure I'll only have one. Everyone else was smoking all around me (as opposed a a night out in the pub where they have to go outside), an eventually I smoked one. The warning Allen Carr gives about no such thing as "just one smoke" is so so so so true - I'm now back to where I started on 20 a day, and kicking myself every day for being so stupid. I just found this forum today and am gonna do it again, for good this time. It's just not worth it.

jmcwobbles wrote:
    I quit for a year after reading Allen Carr (best book ever) but unfortunately was at a house party one night last October, and made the BIG MISTAKE... ah sure I'll only have one. Everyone else was smoking all around me (as opposed a a night out in the pub where they have to go outside), an eventually I smoked one. The warning Allen Carr gives about no such thing as "just one smoke" is so so so so true - I'm now back to where I started on 20 a day, and kicking myself every day for being so stupid. I just found this forum today and am gonna do it again, for good this time. It's just not worth it.
    Best of luck.
    You did it once, you can do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i am going to buy the alan carr book tomorrow have tried patches lasted a few days off them

i'm off on holidays for a week so i am hoping to get a chance to read it and maybe have quit the smokes before i go back to work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Cold Turkey is best, well worked for me anyways.
    I think it's best to replace the cigarettes with something else, otherwise you'll feel like there's a void in your life.

I've been off the smokes over a year now.. I replaced cigarettes with martial arts. worked out pretty well, Ya really can't do both, so one had 2 go!

Lucky enough it was the smokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I did the Alan Carr way and was a Happy non Smoker for 6 months , the I lost someone close and made a decision to get back on them to see me trough the dark times, basically I did what was mentioned in the book, go away from everyone and remember the first smoke, how bad it tasts etc....
    I left it about a year and tried to get back off again but couldnt handle the 5 days cold turkey, my wife then made an appointment to go to hipnosis I was asked one question "Do you really want to stop" ans Yes . that ws a year ago.
    I havnt wanted a smoke since but have to say the first feww days were still hard.

Cold turkey, midway through the Allen Carr book.

But I'm 43 with kids and I was (finally) really, really ready to quit.

Utter b'stard of an addiction; noone should ever underestimate the power of it. Even now I know that the only way I can stay away from them is "one day at a time", that old 12-step mantra that I used to scoff at. The day I relax is the day I offer my lily-white orse up for it to sneak up and bite me again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

bought the allen carr book last week but only half read it with one thing and another and haven't got back to finishing it.

does it help to finish reading the book as soon as you can - any suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Here in USA I Have been off them since April 15th 2007 via hypnosis .
    First cig I smoked was in Zurich , friend set it down in ashtray. I was probably 18 and that was close to 40 yrs ago.

ulster wrote:
    bought the allen carr book last week but only half read it with one thing and another and haven't got back to finishing it.

does it help to finish reading the book as soon as you can - any suggestions.
    Check the sticky at the top af the page. That may help.

Will power all the way, but don't take my word for it on that. I just put one out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

started 1969 gave up 1999 at 36 ,doctor said ,"inhaler for your bronchitus",I thought you idiot and many other unrepeatable sayings towards him ,chainsmoked till 4 am and never touched them since.

I was chronically addicted with no release ever for more than the 8 hours I slept.Several weeks before I quit I didnt have coffee for a day and it turned into weeks.One always led to another, smoke and drink and vice versa.I also did a life altering weekend of very heavy group awareness training and that played a part but I would,knowing what I know now never recomend an LGAT (large group awareness training ) to any one as the people in charge are never interested in you really , they just want to make up the numbers and your one of them .If they decide you are one of the chosen ones then thats what you become,if on the other hand you have and use your own mind(if they cant brain wash you) then they try and ease you out .if that doesnt work they attack you.That didnt work either and eventually I dropped them and now I never hear from them at all ,cowards,Sorry I digress.When I did this weekend they told me after I arrived that there was to be no smoking .On friday night late I told one of them I was having a cigarette , He said no smoking and I informed him with mostly nmy eyes and my tone of voice that I was most certainly smoking. The explosion never arrived as they caved in instantly,such was my rage.

A few times the idea of smoking has appealed to me but I realised I didnt want or need one.

A dozen times I went to Nicotine Anonymous but being with ten people who the minute the meetiung ended lit up didnt make any sense to me at all so I gave up on that idea.

I used to walk from Blackrock to Foxrock with Conor(cancer aged 18) ,my now dead brother and we would smoke two cigarettes with the 2p bus fare ,I was seven and thought this was amazing to walk three miles for a couple of cigarettes.One day I robbed 10p from my mothers purse and went up to Cornelscourt and bought 10 woodbines and matches .I lit up in the bushes above South Park beside the dump and being seven I never thought to hide the cigarettes ,I smoked all of them and fainted ,for how long I dont know.When I woke up I just went home as if nothing had happened.Addiction is available at any age, 7 or 97 ,makes no difference.Last night I came third in a vets road race in which I did a flyer, taking off from the bunch at 36 mph on the last lap to escape from them ,it was a brillaint feeling to know I have recovered so well from smoking.I used to be able ,when I was twenty six,to do 38mph on my own,if I had never smoked it would have been 42 and more.

To me the greatest gift is to know that I cant control cigarettes ,they do me and once I think "one wont do any harm",thats me defeated or should I say being defeatist. The gift it gives me to be able to breathe and race and no more chest infections.Until jan 2005 I used to get 3-5 chest infections every year,now I havent had one for 20 months and am slowly getting to be better than all the group of guys I race with of a similar age ,I just get stronger all the time as long as I look after myself.i have more on this but i need to eat dinner.Good luck and remember the rewards are amazing and they are free .

p.s. Nic Anon didnt really suit me but dont let that put you off trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I tried a few times then finally made up my mind to do it - I tried Alan Carr but I didn't find it very helpful, especially when he admits halfway through the book that he used bloody hypnosis! On my final try I used the 24 hour patches and they worked a treat I was working a very stressful job at the time but I was determined. I changed some habits like breaks and took a shorter lunch or went for a walk. I was even confident enough to finish the course early. Four years on and I haven't touched one - you have to be adamant about this - if you smoke even one you've failed you have to stop completely because this is how the addiction gets you - you have to understand how these things addict you as much as what they do to you.

Just like the tar on your lungs, this thread is now sticky.

Just remember, each to their own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

david1two3 wrote:
    To me the greatest gift is to know that I cant control cigarettes ,they do me and once I think "one wont do any harm",thats me defeated or should I say being defeatist.

Great post, and spot on above. Congrats on your quit! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I dont know whether my story would help anyone or whether anyone has had a similar experience, but it did work for me so here goes ..........

I smoked 20-25 a day for 20 years up to August 2006, and made several very half hearted efforts to quit cold turkey over the years.

The tipping point with me was when we took our 2 daughters aged 7 and 4 at the time on holidays to Spain last year. The kids had never seen ashtrays in restaurants before and were facinated by what they were for (at home myself and wife smoked out in back garden etc). Anyway, within a few days th kids were fighting between themselves as to who would have the honour of bringing over Mummy and Daddy's ashtray so they could have a good smoke for themselves. Their innocence/ my complete self loathing crushed me.

Basically I felt like a junkie/ scumbag and I found this to be a bit of a revelation to me, because I never felt that way about myself before.

Shortly after I got home I was sick for a day and didnt smoke that day for the first time in 20 years. From that day I just motivated myself with thoughts about the kids and their future and I have to say it was not difficult - I found it incredibly easy in fact - I have not had even one moment of doubt or what I would consider a moment weakness, and I hope I am not tempting fate but I just cannot see myself ever smoking again.

So basically, my experience was that I had to learn to uncoditionally hate myself and what I was doing in order to find the motivation to quit. After that, I found it easy

• Advertisement
Advertisement