Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else able to divine for water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think your understanding this wrong Brian. The metal rods as it was explained to me only work a few feet. The very odd person with the true gift can tell the depth and the strength of flow of the water found with the hazel. I have witnessed it jump.

The energy required to move light metal rods across "a few feet" distance is huge. It's just not there. How can a water pipe buried under a few feet of earth have any effect on metal worker held in your hands.

I hate to use the term BS about stuff people believe in but there is just no scientific way this would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    The energy required to move light metal rods across "a few feet" distance is huge. It's just not there. How can a water pipe buried under a few feet of earth have any effect on metal worker held in your hands.

I hate to use the term BS about stuff people believe in but there is just no scientific way this would be possible.
    Its not that I believe it Brian I've done it. Give it a go and see for yourself. For the craic If nothing else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Just go out and try it
    I taught the same myself until I did it

As I could tell no logical reasons to why it works but it deos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

My mother could do the thing with the hazel rod. She once told me to put my hands on hers, and I felt it almost wrenching out of her hands. She certainly wasn't faking it. I can't do it at all, though metal rods will cross for me.

It could be something as simple as your unconscious ability to smell water triggering the movement where the hazel seems to try to leap out of your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its not that I believe it Brian I've done it. Give it a go and see for yourself. For the craic If nothing else :D
    Amazing how the posters that deny it never tried it and have all the answers.

• Advertisement

I don't mean to offend anyone but I put divining in the same drawer as tarot cards, wigi boards, the banshi, the stray sod, and turning bread and water into flesh and blood - just because you believe something doesn't mean it happens.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I put divining in the same drawer as tarot cards, wigi boards, the banshi, the stray sod, and turning bread and water into flesh and blood - just because you believe something doesn't mean it happens.

True enough, but my Donegal buddy had geologists in to survey the patch of land around her cottage and they told her she'd have to go down 60 feet to get water. On the Lone Parents, this wasn't feasible. Then her neighbour brought over a dowser who divined water near the surface a few metres from her front door, the brought a digger and a couple of lads with shovels in and voilà! Water!

The word 'sorcerer', by the way, comes from 'sourcier', or 'one who can find a water source'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

_Brian wrote:

There are more things in heaven and on earth, Horatio, than are dreamed of in your philosophy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I was in school with a boy that used to be able to find his watch,
    He'd hand it to a group and turn his back while one of us would put it in their pocket.
    We'd form a circle round him then and he'd find it using a forked stick.
    It'd twist in his hand when he'd face the watch.

Tying a weight on a piece of string and holding it with your hand can be weird too,
    seem to swing for no reason, some use it to divine water too
    It's called dowsing if you want to google

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lads, can I suggest that maybe a couple of anecdotes about people digging in Ireland and finding water shouldn't exactly be enough to convince you of the existence of magical powers?

This stuff is right up there with psychic readings and faith healing. You'll always find people insisting they've experienced things that can only be explained by their chosen magical belief. That's why we need to be sceptical, because stuff like this is far too easy to convince ourselves of, and that's why we need to investigate them scientifically: to account for our biases. Our brains are really bad at investigating claims in a sceptical manner.

Yes can quote tired Shakespeare all ye like but at the end of the day it was sceptical scientific inquiry and not magical powers that gave us electricity, computers, modern medicine, and space flight.

The James Randi foundation will give a reward of one million dollars to the first person to prove to them that they can dowse for water (or demonstrate any other supernatural ability). No one has done it. You know why dowsers are going around rural Ireland plying their skills for pennies instead of becoming millionaires? I find it hard to come up with an explanation that doesn't reflect poorly on them.

• Advertisement

Oooh, wish I could have that million dollars… if only I could dowse!

There are odd abilities that aren't explained easily, for instance very rarely you'll find a human who has an ability that seems to be more common in animals and birds: foreknowledge that an earthquake is going to happen.

Chuchote wrote: »
    There are odd abilities that aren't explained easily, for instance very rarely you'll find a human who has an ability that seems to be more common in animals and birds: foreknowledge that an earthquake is going to happen.

There are more things under (and above) the sun that aren't explained easily than we could shake a stick at! The fact that they are so hard to explain is all the more reason that we need to investigate very carefully lest we come up with the wrong explanation.

So, first of all, I'm not sure how true it is that animals can predict earthquakes at all - it's the sort of thing that gets said a lot but I'm not sure how true it really is.

But if we accept for the sake of argument that some animals have done so in the past, what could be causing it? Maybe they can feel vibrations in the earth that we can't notice yet. Or maybe the impending earthquakes creates soundwaves below our threshold that alarm them. Just because something seems mysterious doesn't mean we should leap to the idea that they're magical. In fact, to quote Tim Minchin: throughout history, every mystery, ever solved has turned out to be not-magic.

Actually, if you want a very entertaining 10 minutes on sceptical thinking, his animated comedy poem Storm is brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Zillah wrote: »
    But if we accept for the sake of argument that some animals have done so in the past, what could be causing it? Maybe they can feel vibrations in the earth that we can't notice yet. Or maybe the impending earthquakes creates soundwaves below our threshold that alarm them. Just because something seems mysterious doesn't mean we should leap to the idea that they're magical. In fact, to quote Tim Minchin: throughout history, every mystery, ever solved has turned out to be not-magic.

We're saying the same thing, really. But that million dollars… a few things I could do with that! Dreams…

We're saying the same thing, really. But that million dollars… a few things I could do with that! Dreams…

It will never be paid out though! You have to demonstrate magical abilities to win it, and there's no such thing as magic, so it will never be claimed. Randi essentially made a million dollar bet against the supernatural to show how confident he was that psychics and dowsing and all similar things have better non-magical explanations rooted in the real world.

He's actually a really interesting guy. He worked as a stage magician for years, so he's an expert in fooling people. He used his skills to entertain, but he saw others using them take advantage and wanted to help stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

So do I.

Well, so did I.

I remember my mam's dad getting a diviner in to look for water in "the field" when I was a child, and him using a hazel twig. I tried that a few times over the years and never felt a thing.

Then - as a well-grown-up-thoroughly-sceptical-scientific-adult - we were visiting my dad's brother a few years ago and something in the random conversation that families have (nothing to do with proving anything) prompted him to ask me "do you know if you've got it?" and we all headed out to his garden.

OK, I'm not 100% sceptic because I've studied and use acupuncture, but it was a real WTF moment when to bits of wire that I was holding just swung through 90° of their own accord when I hit "that" spot, then swung away when I moved on.

I can't offer a rational explanation, but I can repeat the experiment with the same results every time. FWIW, one rod on its own doesn't budge - it needs the two.

I can't offer a rational explanation, but I can repeat the experiment with the same results every time. FWIW, one rod on its own doesn't budge - it needs the two.

It's called the ideomotor effect. It's the same phenomenon that makes ouija boards work. Your muscles make small little movements that you have no conscious control over. I bet if we blindfolded you and spun you around and had you walk around so that you had no idea where 'the spot' was they wouldn't cross at the right time. Especially if you weren't being led through it by someone who wanted you to succeed and believe it was real.

Whatever your opinion of Dawkins, this is a good demonstrations:

It's called the ideomotor effect. It's the same phenomenon that makes ouija boards work. Your muscles make small little movements that you have no conscious control over. I bet if we blindfolded you and spun you around and had you walk around so that you had no idea where 'the spot' was they wouldn't cross at the right time. Especially if you weren't being led through it by someone who wanted you to succeed and believe it was real.

Whatever your opinion of Dawkins, this is a good demonstrations:
    Why is it a good demonstration? For all we know it could be all set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

just because something isn't understood or not fully explainable doesn't mean it's not true.

For example homeopathy for all its craziness did manage to come up with a cure for cancer.

I'd love to see the three-eggs business if anyone who can do it would put up a YouTube video - maybe paint the central egg with stripes from the fat end to the pointy end so it's easy to see when it happens?

ps - It will definitely go viral if you do it!

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why is it a good demonstration? For all we know it could be all set up.

....a set up?

Did you see the part where they open the boxes in front of the people performing the dowsing and show them what was inside? Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of setting up a fake water dowsing experiment?
    ganmo wrote: »
    For example homeopathy for all its craziness did manage to come up with a cure for cancer.

I'm going to assume this is a wind up. For the sake of my blood pressure if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'm going to assume this is a wind up. For the sake of my blood pressure if nothing else.
    nope, they were the first ppl to use radiation against cancer.
    their logic was off the wall but it got results

https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2016/jun/03/the-truth-about-radiation-podcast
    @~ 6 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

True enough, but my Donegal buddy had geologists in to survey the patch of land around her cottage and they told her she'd have to go down 60 feet to get water. On the Lone Parents, this wasn't feasible. Then her neighbour brought over a dowser who divined water near the surface a few metres from her front door, the brought a digger and a couple of lads with shovels in and voilà! Water!

The word 'sorcerer', by the way, comes from 'sourcier', or 'one who can find a water source'.

Far me it from me to question the truth of that story but you only ever hear about the successful ones.

The word sorcerer is about as connected with water as those stories mates from donegal tell you are connected to the truth.

ganmo wrote: »
    nope, they were the first ppl to use radiation against cancer.
    their logic was off the wall but it got results

https://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2016/jun/03/the-truth-about-radiation-podcast
    @~ 6 minutes

What a curious historical anecdote. He doesn't actually go into any details of the case, though. There isn't a single mention of homoeopathy in the History of Radiation Therapy article, nor is radiation mentioned once in the Homoeopathy article; nor does Google show anything about it.

Eitherway, while they might have gotten lucky with a crazy guess, it doesn't mean we shouldn't investigate in a sceptical manner.

I suppose the crux of this debate is blind faith, not your typical F&F debate but essentially that's what it boils down to.
    There are those who fall on the side of believing it blindly even though there isn't a shred of evidence behind the process.
    Then there are those (myself included) that can't see the reasoning in believing this is nothing more than pure chance. We had a diviner here years ago and the well that was bored on his advice was dry to 250ft. Bored where the well men said to do it and we have a wonderful well at 200ft. I need to be able to tie at least a shred of science or engineering to something to take it on board as being a reality.

For me these guys are working on pure chance, some probably have a rudimentary understanding of hydrology and geology (without realising it) and this gut feeling comes from the likely places water would be present. The chances that a 3/4hydrodare pipe 6ft down emits a power or we can subconsciously smell the leak - nope, on my side of the tracks this isn't possible. I'm open to some proper science being put onto this, but I can't find any online and that doesn't surprise me really.

....a set up?

Did you see the part where they open the boxes in front of the people performing the dowsing and show them what was inside? Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of setting up a fake water dowsing experiment?

To make it look as if they are right ;)

Did you ever think that the dowsers might be in on it or that it was edited to make it look as if they were wrong? So many things can be hidden or changed behind a camera. Also dowsing detects flowing water not water in a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Did you ever think that the dowsers might be in on it or that it was edited to make it look as if they were wrong?

I feel your scepticism is misplaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

If you can dowse or know someone who can why not avail of the million dollars?

Did you ever think that the dowsers might be in on it or that it was edited to make it look as if they were wrong? So many things can be hidden or changed behind a camera.

You realise that was Professor Richard Dawkins doing a large budget documentary commissioned and aired by Channel 4? They're not in the habit of creating huge conspiracies to debunk eccentric mysticism.

Not that any of that matters to you. You believe you have magic powers, you want to believe that and that's all that matters. You'll come up with any rationalisation you can to protect that belief. You weren't talked into that position by reason so we can't talk you out of it.
    Also dowsing detects flowing water not water in a bottle.

How do you know this? Have you done experiments? Do all dowsers agree? Are the dowsers who don't need running water wrong? Are you going to prove them wrong? That's the problem when people are happy to believe things based on stories and anecdotes - they just say whatever feels like it works for them and they can dodge reality indefinitely.

Those dowsers obviously did not believe so, and if they did they should have raised that problem before they undertook the test.

But as Dougal says, if you really can detect flowing water via dowsing there is a million dollars just waiting for you to claim it. Seriously. You could be a millionaire this time next year if you send an email to the Randi Foundation right now. Why haven't you?

• Advertisement

Far me it from me to question the truth of that story but you only ever hear about the successful ones.

The word sorcerer is about as connected with water as those stories mates from donegal tell you are connected to the truth.

Damn, you're right! French for a dowser is sourcier and for a magician is sorcier! My source for this ;) was wrong!

Advertisement