Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

hurray .. My KNA6034201 repro is a success !!

This is one of 4 KNA custom chips on an IREM Kung Fu Master (it's also used on R-Type) and my first attempt at making a repro IC. This specific one is known to fail often these days . It's similar to the one Caius from Jammarcade makes, my version is a wee bit fatter but offers nothing different. I didn't want to copy his version either so I used the original M62-G Sub board to replicate the schematics.
    I'm working on the KNA6032601 next (using what was done on the bootleg as layout to trace the schematics)
    but she looks pretty cool. proud day for me :D
    60553917_10157274917928276_5645493434077675520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=71ae3ad02c3d60eca4db6dc20919dbdb&oe=5D582AFA

60671650_10157274918133276_2310501584146006016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=3024f7fa8b45248cfd2e83e84363d9bf&oe=5D550927

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Bgollie, watched your excellent video on tube swaping. This is something I had planned for a few cabs over the summer (bad burn and/or chips to the tubes). Great video and explained perfectly.

Anyone any sources for 25" tubes? I tried the dump in Ballymount Dublin a few months back but they wouldn't let me take anything away.

I have a few spare tubes and chassis in storage myself. Perhaps someone would be interested in a parts database?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

sugarman wrote: »
    **** buzz, are the new fuses blowing? ...have you a multi handy?

If you do I try can guide you through what to check for. My bets are on the voltage regulator or a diode on the bridge rectifier.

I had a multi plug i got years ago with 6 different connectors on it, tested it out and the SNES is grand. Looks like the PSU I have is just gone to sh1te

...and finally , tested and working, a Generic Jamma fingerboard for making custom adapters for non jamma boards :)

60779174_10157280567328276_6142164732087369728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeHvzRYxgzp4gdD8uXwX__5mPLee0NhgSMoVreN8J_SgmMLNSiSrIFUnOLpEcu6lAOfdxiA8cweezqXf958bgPhSv6C8en72F2DvyCKMwFk0YQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=cc7d2da55ef99a445dbba92395e376a6&oe=5D600185

My plan is to make custom adapter for various boards (starting with IREM classic, Capcom classic, 1942 and Sega system 16 to come... )

If that's ok with the other mods, I've placed an ad in the marketplace listing these and I'll keep adding more as I make them. I have the bare pcbs or fully assembled things at board.ie prices (people are asking crazy prices for these online)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110227201#post110227201

YES! got the my second repro working. It took a while and a couple of wires to patch missed traces but I've a working repro for the KNA 6032601 IC (I got it wrong on the silk screen :smiley: ) It is used for the final color attributions on IREM M57 (Tropical Angel) and M62 (Kung Fu Master, Lode Runner II, Spelunker, Little hero, Battle Road, Kid Niki, Horizon) boards.

Wasn't easy fitting 9 individual LS chips on a footprint the size of a z80 but I seemed to have found the one layout that worked with 4 on top and 5 on the underside.

I just need to order a final , all fixed, version and I'll add it to the list in the marketplace

61792127_10157306347873276_621633371486814208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=e3a0d1461e07f1ad99a80374637b1ae7&oe=5D9B0423

• Advertisement

That's cool ollie,
    Much interest from the community for these chips?
    You should get new remote boards made for all the monitors.
    You'll sell 100s

I haven't posted these other than here and my FB/Twitter which is mostly people who follow the music channel so I haven't expected much interest yet :)
    The first KNA repro has already been done by Caius so I've refrained from posting it on other forums and jammarcade.net although he said he'd be cool with it. I'm away most of june but I will post these on ukvac and other places when I come back for sure.

I'm working on some repro MSX and Veccy cart boards next, two more custom Ic repros to finish from the Kung Fu Master board then I'll prob move on that big sound module you see on Capcom boards like Ghost n Goblins and Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not so much a repair but rather a new build...

(Couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to put this other than perhaps the MAME of Shame :P)

IMG_20190530_190856_617.jpg

I presented an idea to the company that I work for a few months ago. We've moved into a new and improved building from the old place that we used to be in with dedicated gaming areas (Nintendo Switch, Xbox, Pool Tables, Air Hockey, Foosball etc). My proposition? If you fund the parts for an arcade machine... I will build you one in my spare time.

So... after many days working after hours this is the end result.

All that's left to do is tidy up some of the internal wiring, clean her up on the inside a little bit... mount some of the internal components correctly and get the power socket sorted out.

Really excited about this one. There's a "beer cart" event happening in our canteen later today too that I'm hoping to showcase her at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder if the HSE will allow me to buy a Candy for the space outside my office?
    Hmm... a business plan is needed, with Powerpoint presentations and all!

Reasons to be cheerful (in work) pt3
    1. Robotron
    2. Galaga
    3. Tempest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

MrVestek wrote: »
    So... after many days working after hours this is the end result.

I caught a few of the live build streams :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Work in progress.
    Still need to flip the monitor, add the bezel and instructions artwork and make new door.

Pleased with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder if the HSE will allow me to buy a Candy for the space outside my office?
    Hmm... a business plan is needed, with Powerpoint presentations and all!

Reasons to be cheerful (in work) pt3
    1. Robotron
    2. Galaga
    3. Tempest!

Just don't tell whoever you'd buy the Candy off it'd be for the Health service, that'd result in a 100% price increase, the same as everything else earmarked "health" does.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

another long repair video on a dead Ghost n Goblins board.
    Multiple issues on this one. Board wasn't booting, sync issue, background graphics, character layer, colors went off half way through the repair , foreground layer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Super will watch that later Olly, the progress you have made since your first fix has been incredible , good job :)

yeah I know. bit mad to thing 3 or 4 years ago I'd no electronics experience really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

BGOllie wrote: »
    yeah I know. bit mad to thing 3 or 4 years ago I'd no electronics experience really.

Seriously ?? How did you start / begin ? I have sod all electronics experience, but I'm pretty technical - it's something I'd love to be able to do

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know far too little about electronics to be doing some of the things I do tbh :D

There was a time where I was discharging a CRT monitor in just a nightgown while trying to stop one of my cats trying to climb into the back of the arcade machine where I paused and thought;

'You know what Oisin, you should probably read up a little more on the whole electronics thing'

yeah a lot of it was tutorials videos, Onecircuit and doktorzett 's videos got me interested. The repair logs on Jammaarcade and AussieArcade are a mine of information on troubleshooting, bought some books on ttls and various processors and started tinkering with individual ICs too to see how they worked. 3 years is a lot when you read and learn stuff on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'm 100% done with sending boards abroad for repair only to get a fraction of them back because they weren't repairable. You're stuck with paying to get a broken board sent back to you, or letting the repairers keep it and not charging a fee.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out the pitfalls of that. Can't help but have that suspicious feeling about it. But what can you do?!

There's definitely a vacuum to be filled in that space here.

same thing would happen here really. diagnosing boards and fixing them can take days or weeks really , assuming it's all standard parts.
    When it comes to 16bit systems with custom it's a bit of a lottery as those customs are hard or impossible to find. Those Cps1 are a good example, where the only source for those ICs is another CPS1 board, but we're starting to see the same thing now with some konami and sega boards , they're full of custom smd ICs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

i would also recommend any enthusiastic learners to this Udemy course :
    https://www.udemy.com/share/100kflAkUYeVtTTXw=/

Its €9.99 at the moment, i got it for €3 on sale.
    Not bad for 95 hours of video.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

eddhorse wrote: »
    i would also recommend any enthusiastic learners to this Udemy course :
    https://www.udemy.com/share/100kflAkUYeVtTTXw=/

Its €9.99 at the moment, i got it for €3 on sale.
    Not bad for 95 hours of video.

That looks great, would that be helpful for someone that wants to learn the basics of troubleshooting arcade pcbs do think? or is it more about building things from scratch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    There was a time where I was discharging a CRT monitor in just a nightgown while trying to stop one of my cats trying to climb into the back of the arcade machine where I paused and thought...
    "Why am I am in a nightgown?"

You're world path and experiences appear to diverge from mine to quite a large degree....

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You're world path and experiences appear to diverge from mine to quite a large degree....

'Those lads were discharging CRTs in the nip!'

The thoughts of oisin in a nightgown is putting me off my dinner.
    Was it your girlfriends nightgown?

pics or it didn't happen

Master of the Universe

Be careful what you wish for, my SNK cab's control panel is mirrored chrome :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Hi Guys i just got a Jap game gear that needs work will the capacitor kits on ebay be good for this or because its jap does it need its own kind also will my mega drive power cable work on it or would it fry it
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

sugarman wrote: »
    dmcdante wrote: »
    Hi Guys i just got a Jap game gear that needs work will the capacitor kits on ebay be good for this or because its jap does it need its own kind also will my mega drive power cable work on it or would it fry it
    Thanks all

Cap kits are all the same as all game gears are pretty much all the same. Get a full 20 cap kit.

As for the PSU, I cant remember what connector is on the Jap model.

PAL models take a MD1 PSU and US models take a MD2 PSU.

Any PSU will work as long as its 9v centre positive.
    Perfect thanks very much

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Argh, sat down last night to play some Gamecube games on my Wii. Wanted to give the new Gamecube controller I picked up a while ago a bash.

Fecking harddrive connected to the Wii starts beeping - totally borked!

Only bought it back in December but it seems to be out of warranty already. Opened it up to see if I could fix it but the heads were totally broken.

Was a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB - you can only imagine the amount of game images now lost.

I think I'll need to get a harddrive that's a bit more heavy duty, those WD passports, while handy and all, don't really have any weight in them to sit beside a console.

Advertisement