Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Argh, sat down last night to play some Gamecube games on my Wii. Wanted to give the new Gamecube controller I picked up a while ago a bash.

Fecking harddrive connected to the Wii starts beeping - totally borked!

Only bought it back in December but it seems to be out of warranty already. Opened it up to see if I could fix it but the heads were totally broken.

Was a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB - you can only imagine the amount of game images now lost.

I think I'll need to get a harddrive that's a bit more heavy duty, those WD passports, while handy and all, don't really have any weight in them to sit beside a console.

What about something solid state? Should have a bit more resilience no? I'm using a flash drive in mine but also don't care too much if it stops working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

xckjoo wrote: »
    What about something solid state? Should have a bit more resilience no? I'm using a flash drive in mine but also don't care too much if it stops working :D

How do you find games run from the SDD? Any issues?

I think I'll go that route next alright. Did see an interesting mod where someone removed the DVD drive completely and used the space to mount a HDD internally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the same interface so SSD should be better and could mean shorter load times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's the same interface so SSD should be better and could mean shorter load times as well.
    That's been my experience and was the general consensus I saw online when I was looking for storage options.

I should also say I'm thinking of the Wii U instead of the Wii :D. It's been too long since I dusted off the Wii to remember what differences they have, but definitely remember running games off an old USB thumb drive on the Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »

The Wii running USB 2.0 will definitely bottleneck an SSD, I don't foresee there being much advantage (if any - barring reliability).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    The Wii running USB 2.0 will definitely bottleneck an SSD, I don't foresee there being much advantage (if any - barring reliability).

Reliability...aka 'o1s1n proofing?' :pac:

Starting to think everything I buy should look like this;

lacie_rugged_mini_2tb_usb_30_la9000298adb25246c5aa1bd3f6eb8b4225faab15336cf836_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've an SSD in my Wii too, for save games of course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

had some left over poker cab buttons, small lenght of t moulding, wood veneer and other bits . so i decided to make myself a retro looking test rig

67270219_10157454534188276_1524334664158806016_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnsXi2Y5tH5AtgX-wV_mPyrsbSiaR5NUHaVqU3QFeG_BMNDO9JYYpiAj72IU-TXhSM&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=9a4492e5861f5961aa2621d4f312ce21&oe=5DA84C8C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Nice! Better than having loose bits around the place, kill two birds at once

Anyone know where to get cps2 battery's?
    What's the going rate?
    Also need to replace the fan so if I could get both at once it would be handy.!!

• Advertisement

Anyone know where to get cps2 battery's?
    What's the going rate?
    Also need to replace the fan so if I could get both at once it would be handy.!!

Order me one too and I'll give you the money
    https://www.smallcab.net/battery-holder-cps2-p-1890.html?osCsid=4al7vq8qs8k4ei9vjak1ogug06
    https://www.smallcab.net/battery-cps2-p-1889.html

I think 60x60x15 PC fan fits perfectly, if its just noisy you could stick a resistor on the positive inline and slow it down, I've read a few folks doing that

do you want a battery and a holder?
    I'll sawp you for that red tmold !

-they are very expensive for postage 14e for 2 batteries and 2 holders!!!!

Master of the Universe

I stuck a fan in my AVP ages ago, it reduced the sound down from aircraft taking off to zero at all. Can't hear a peep out of it.

This is the exact one I put in it, same seller and auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292272321350

No modding needed at all. Bit annoying trying to actually get into the board due to a security screw that comes apart like butter, but once you're in you just drop in the new fan and connect it up.

I stuck a fan in my AVP ages ago, it reduced the sound down from aircraft taking off to zero at all. Can't hear a peep out of it.

This is the exact one I put in it, same seller and auction.
    Mines like that too
    do you want a battery and a holder?
    I'll sawp you for that red tmold !

-they are very expensive for postage 14e for 2 batteries and 2 holders!!!!
    Well thats expensive, maybe try parcelwizard? anyway I'll give you half, yep a holder and battery for me too, I wonder is there a way to install a CR2032 like you can do on the pinballs

Anyone got a spare cps2 kick harness?
    Mine is working but its a total hackjob.
    A ribbon cable with electrical connectors on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Fixed a technos Renegade for Mozzie . had sound and sprite issues and what seemed to be lumps of dried coca cola goo on the board . It had a distinctive burned sugar smell when heated , a first, but not unpleasant, repair experience :)
    Some of it though was creating a lot of static on the sound circuit and had most likely helped in corroding 6 of the eproms and sockets. Replaced em, burned new roms and replaced all the electrolytic caps in the sound section. I also gave it a good clean and the board is back working fine.

Interestingly the first CPU eprom doesn't seem to be in mame. This version of the board has no MCU so I first thought this was a bootleg, but all the other roms check as the US version. I seems the cpu eprom has been modify to bypass the MCU altogether.
    I've dumped the content anyway and I am checking with Porchy whether this is already available (I haven't found it anywhere if it is) and maybe if we can have it made into a new mame rom set

71844454_10157654532733276_1095837210239827968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlXe303hYo5u4bpvAoPaU4wMfq1AZmt-evAHkUW1wwx2b2s-JRFwfBE2x4JbMkc_g5Kj8smx8Q87wc04gyoRI_n&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=46b3e14410785181867166f396449479&oe=5E6530B6

Excellent work as per! Will be especially happy to have this back at 100% as it’s a personal favorite, spent countless hours rewinding the cassette tape on my spectrum 48k with this and it’s sequel target renegade.. amazing work and hopefully we can get this dumped and added to mame, cola mmmmmmmm.. tasty lol

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Great job on the repair.

Renegade was a great game on the speccy. I used to play on the keyboard to do the jump kick easier for those bikers on level 2 :D
    I was 6 or 7 years old and still remember it.

Then target renegade came out.. TWO PLAYERS!!! We couldn't believe it. Played it to death.

Unfortunately the less said about Renegade 3 the better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

BGOllie wrote: »
    Fixed a technos Renegade for Mozzie . had sound and sprite issues and what seemed to be lumps of dried coca cola goo on the board . It had a distinctive burned sugar smell when heated , a first, but not unpleasant, repair experience :)

Reminds me of when my vintage oscilloscope left a massive fart while powered on the last time, some horrible gas smell was coming out of it.

Not sure what it was, could have been a dead moth inside it but i havent had the balls to turn it on since!

You can see the valves glowing through the air holes, the thing is a fire hazard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Love the level 1 soundtrack in the C64 version of Target Renegade and its heavy use of Pulse Width Modulation:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Long time lurker..

But had to post this retro throwback art

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/669551552/black-monster-screen-printing-character?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=anotherworld&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

Signed by Eric the designer of another world.. one of my early favourites , i got some stickers , some pins, postcards, personalised note and the big limited lino print of the famous game monster.

Amazing pack and well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got this dead Mega CD working again. Existing BIOS mod wasn't working and every smd cap had leaked its goo.
    Installed new caps, had to relocated a few due to leak damaged pads and fitted a new region free BIOS so no more switching needed.

48918890892_72dab798fe_c.jpg

Got this dead Mega CD working again. Existing BIOS mod wasn't working and every smd cap had leaked its goo.
    Installed new caps, had to relocated a few due to leak damaged pads and fitted a new region free BIOS so no more switching needed.

48918890892_72dab798fe_c.jpg

That wasn't the non-working one I sold Cidey was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Long time lurker..

But had to post this retro throwback art

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/669551552/black-monster-screen-printing-character?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=anotherworld&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

Signed by Eric the designer of another world.. one of my early favourites , i got some stickers , some pins, postcards, personalised note and the big limited lino print of the famous game monster.

Amazing pack and well worth the money

That's quite good, I'm sure Olly could reproduce that.

That wasn't the non-working one I sold Cidey was it?

It his alright, so probably the same one then.

It his alright, so probably the same one then.

God, I can only imagine the modding job. I done it about 15/16 years ago when I discovered soldering :o Was it the chip itself that went bad, or the soldering? Interesting that the caps leaked too, glad you brought it back to life!

Master of the Universe

God, I can only imagine the modding job. I done it about 15/16 years ago when I discovered soldering :o Was it the chip itself that went bad, or the soldering? Interesting that the caps leaked too, glad you brought it back to life!

Don't worry, I opened up a few SNES carts recently that you did some soldering on about a decade ago and it was like looking at lost work of Di Vinci ;)

Don't worry, I opened up a few SNES carts recently that you did some soldering on about a decade ago and it was like looking at lost work of Di Vinci ;)

Lol, the battery holder mods? I'd a rough idea of what to do by then (says you he tells me now after handing over my Chrono Trigger to him :p). I barely remember doing that Mega CD though, I wouldn't say it would be winning awards that's for sure...

It was a bit hairy in places alright, but we all have to learn somewhere :)
    Not a fan of those piggyback mods so just ripped it all out and fitted a new socketed bios.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Lol, the battery holder mods? I'd a rough idea of what to do by then (says you he tells me now after handing over my Chrono Trigger to him :p). I barely remember doing that Mega CD though, I wouldn't say it would be winning awards that's for sure...

Yeah you did a whole rake of them, did a few Megadrive carts too.

Mad to think it's so long ago now that I've since had to replace the batteries in some of them!

Advertisement