Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

Comments

I don’t buy that Ryanair are worse than most everybody else either. Like everybody else, back when I could fly, I took the cheapest ticket. Be it Ryanair, Lufthansa, British Airways or Aer Lingus. The differences were slight. Ryanair has the most modern fleet, the others are slightly more comfortable.

Most of the pain in flying is the airport itself. Security. The long walk to gates. When I’m on the plane I’m happy.

(In fact when priority boarding was free for the online savvy Ryanair was better than the rest)

Never saw a session on a Ryanair flight by the way. Charter planes and east jet maybe worse, but shy plane can have sessions. Why would that be if Ryanair isn’t the cheapest anymore.

Well the walk is shorter of you aren't Ryanair generally and no way could you claim there's little difference between the service.

It's worth paying a little extra to avoid the stampede, not get harassed over your bag and be able to relax without constant advertisements.

I'm small so leg room doesn't really matter but if I'm looking at flights and there's not much difference in price, I'm avoiding Ryanair.

The lager lout people will be on the cheap benidorm / etc flight regardless of airline but as that's generally Ryanair, that's the right you will find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well the walk is shorter of you aren't Ryanair generally and no way could you claim there's little difference between the service.

It's worth paying a little extra to avoid the stampede, not get harassed over your bag and be able to relax without constant advertisements.

I'm small so leg room doesn't really matter but if I'm looking at flights and there's not much difference in price, I'm avoiding Ryanair.

The lager lout people will be on the cheap benidorm / etc flight regardless of airline but as that's generally Ryanair, that's the right you will find them.
    I've used Ryanair many times, flying over to England to see football matches. And I've never seen any "lager lout" bust ups. The odd boisterous hen/stag group, but nothing ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Lol, never a hood sign when OP has been banned from posting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm done listening to O'Leary and his BS.

Very glad the Government is paying no attention to his attempts at bullying them back into busy air travel. Only this afternoon the Health Sec in the UK is reporting a "huge surge" in Indian variant cases in Britain, and thats with a relatively high level of vaccination.

I'm sorry to say I think Portugal and some other countries who rely heavily on sunshine tourism are going to pay a heavy price for rolling the dice on reopening to visitors on a wide scale.

As for O'Leary, he should concentrate on vaccinating all of his staff and making sure they are as safe as possible, because they are ones he is gambling with in laying on loads of flights in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lol, never a hood sign when OP has been banned from posting!

Yerrah I'd take no notice of that.

Once a poster starts becoming a bit prolific the mods tend to start latching on. Perhaps they didn't break any rules but that doesn't leave one immune to mod hassle.

Mods will start hassling in this manner to prevent "soap boxing" and gaining too much attention. They perfected this technique with a certain political fella who used to post here years ago. He skated on thin ice for a very long time and after receiving a lot of hassle he eventually lost his temper and they threw the book at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

riewomann wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, maybe a system where each flight doubles in cost.

ie first flight 1x price
    second flight 2x price
    third flight 3x price

Anything to reduce the environmental impact of all these unnecessary flights.

Michael O'Leary has probably done more damage to our environment than all the coal burning power plants in China combined.

I'd quit while you are ahead, if I were you.

Have you explored the prevalence of child abuse, domestic violence, people trafficking, fuel poverty, and the like in your community?
    What have you done about it today?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I once admired this man and the success he brought to Ryanair, not bad for a one time personal assistant to Tony Ryan, but his behaviour during the pandemic was quite appalling and borderline dispicable, the Jab and Go fiasco said it all. If there's one positive thing to come out of this pandemic it's this Ghastly individual having to report substantial losses.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

blueser wrote: »
    I've used Ryanair many times, flying over to England to see football matches. And I've never seen any "lager lout" bust ups. The odd boisterous hen/stag group, but nothing ridiculous.

Well I dont recall suggesting fist fight on the flight. I just said 'lager lout' groups. Lads going to matches, stags, hens or whatever.

Your 9.99 Stansted 6am flight will have a few onboard sometimes and if you look up youtube clips, the fights do seem to be on Ryanair flights mainly.

That all said, I would do a one day to matches a few times a season and fly monthly for family reasons. So far I havent had to hold down any lunatics either but I have had my share of drunks and smelly ****ers sitting beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

AMKC wrote: »
    Honestly is that all he can do whinge. Nothing constructive ever comes out of his big fat mouth.
    On Sky News this morning whinging as usual because Ryanair are not getting any funding from state home-state owned Airlines. Can't say I am sorry in the slightest. In fact if Ryanair were to ho bust I would be delighted. It's bad for myths environment and its staff are overworked and underpaid. If you want to fly you should have a good reason to fly not be going on 5 or 6 holidays a year. I am glad the Pandemic has but on end to most of that excessive holidaying and hope it never goes back like that.

Mod: Title edited on spelling and removing misogyny grounds.

If this thread doesnt play out as lighthearted, its getting closed and you can take the serious discussion to CA.

You should have a "good reason" to fly?

Excuse me but flying is a mode of conveyance. Much like driving, sailing, swimming, cycling, walking, running, taking a bus or a train.

If someone wants or needs to travel from A to B, no matter the method employed, then what is a "good" reason and what is a "bad" reason?

• Advertisement

You should have a "good reason" to fly?

Excuse me but flying is a mode of conveyance. Much like driving, sailing, swimming, cycling, walking, running, taking a bus or a train.

If someone wants or needs to travel from A to B, no matter the method employed, then what is a "good" reason and what is a "bad" reason?

Yeah, the OP is banned Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Skyscanner has flights from Toronto to Vancouver listed from €59, which is a 5 hour (3361km) flight. 1000km further than Dublin to Warsaw.

553347.png

These are Covid prices. Non essential travel between provinces in Canada is currently banned.
    Airline ticket costs within USA and Canada are most definitely higher than those in Europe during normal times. We honestly don't know how good we've had it.

Your 9.99 Stansted 6am flight will have a few onboard sometimes and if you look up youtube clips, the fights do seem to be on Ryanair flights mainly.
    When you have 450 plus aircraft you will have more potential for this to happen. Vs 50 or so for Aer Lingus.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    These are Covid prices. Non essential travel between provinces in Canada is currently banned.
    Airline ticket costs within USA and Canada are most definitely higher than those in Europe during normal times. We honestly don't know how good we've had it.

covid prices in europe as well. they remain the same.

covid prices in europe as well. they remain the same.

Same prices as when? I could get multiple €10 fares in June from Dublin if I wanted. That's unheard of in June pre Covid.

Same prices as when? I could get multiple €10 fares in June from Dublin if I wanted. That's unheard of in June pre Covid.

Its not really. Depends where you want to go.

I travel monthly because of family / work commitments and the routes I use have seen marginal changes.

The main difference is that the cheap option remained closer to the time than normal but price wise, Ryanair and Aer Lingus are running similar to usual

I still don't know how they do it. It actually costs more in tax for Ryanair to fly you to the UK than the tenner so they are losing money in tax before you add the fuel, staff and everything else.

I guess usually it's the €300 fares they charge close in with high demand.

• Advertisement

I still don't know how they do it. It actually costs more in tax for Ryanair to fly you to the UK than the tenner so they are losing money in tax before you add the fuel, staff and everything else.

I guess usually it's the €300 fares they charge close in with high demand.

it will cost more if they dont fill the slots. theres penalties for not fulfilling their side of the deal

they sell the tenner seats until the alloted slot requirements and costs are met and then its into profit.

They also charge for all the extras remember. Most people do the priority now and book seats. Yeah, quick run to London I dont care about the middle and Im travelling light. Going further and with a bag and I cough up

it will cost more if they dont fill the slots. theres penalties for not fulfilling their side of the deal

they sell the tenner seats until the alloted slot requirements and costs are met and then its into profit.

They also charge for all the extras remember. Most people do the priority now and book seats. Yeah, quick run to London I dont care about the middle and Im travelling light. Going further and with a bag and I cough up

Slot requirements have been waived I believe this summer and as long as they cancel more than 2 weeks in advance then the EU261 doesn't apply.
    They cancel loads of flights a month in advance as the pandemic continues but keep a fair few.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

People should not be free to fly halfway around the world for for €500 quid.

The aviation industry needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

Go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ireland emits 0.1% of world total

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Coal seam fires worldwide emit 3%, most of it in China. So the coal that doesn't even make it to the power plant aready emits a lot more

Some of Ryanair's emmissions probably fall under UK but that whole country is still only emits 1% of total.

This auld squabbling over people taking a few flights or perhaps deciding to buy a car with a 6 litre engine doesn't even register on the scale. We could all decide to go on 5 foreign holidays a year and start driving Aston Martins and it would make feck all difference to EU emissions, in the long run it won't even stop the downward trend of Ireland's emissions because all the old fuel burning power plants are being phased out and these cause the bulk of our emissions.

Yep all the while China and India opening up new coal-fired power stations.

Not a good excuse for turning ordinary Irish people into neo-serfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I bet the op wouldn't say that to his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

growleaves wrote: »
    Yep all the while China and India opening up new coal-fired power stations.

Not a good excuse for turning ordinary Irish people into neo-serfs.

Ah but they have to ""develop their economy"" god love them, the poor craythurs.

Slot requirements have been waived I believe this summer and as long as they cancel more than 2 weeks in advance then the EU261 doesn't apply.
    They cancel loads of flights a month in advance as the pandemic continues but keep a fair few.

I mean under normal circumstances obviously.

Eu261 is a completely separate thing to their agreements with the airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I bet the op wouldn't say that to his face.

Why, is O Leary going to have him whacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think Michael would care about what is said about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What has he said to deserve this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mrh1974

Michael O'Leary has probably done more damage to our environment than all the coal burning power plants in China combined

do you wish to share the facts or is this just one those silly insulting slurs that muddy the waters of sensible debate about the environment?

:pac:

This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

People should not be free to fly halfway around the world for for €500 quid.

The aviation industry needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

Does your recommendation apply to cargo flights too? Yeah tax them into oblivion and see how you like paying a grand for a pair of 10 euro imported flip-flops.

Want to send a birthday card to your niece in Australia with a few quid inside? That'll cost you 300 quid or you can send it via freight ship. She'll get it just in time for her next birthday.

Does your recommendation apply to cargo flights too? Yeah tax them into oblivion and see how you like paying a grand for a pair of 10 euro imported flip-flops.

That’s mostly sea cargo isn’t it? Big huge containers. Air freight is for already expensive items that need to get to market quick. The original launch of iPhones for instance but not later versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Other than allowing countless millions of working class people to see the world...create tens of thousands of jobs...generated billions into the Irish economy and demolished the Union and Management Cushy Number at Aer Lingus and Aer Rinta ripping off the Irish nation for generations.

yeah, he hasn't risen to your level of perfection yet.

Pays his taxes in Ireland too, unlike geldof n Bono while preaching to us to do more at the same time!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Pays his taxes in Ireland too, unlike geldof n Bono while preaching to us to do more at the same time!

Bono almost certainly pays personal taxes here. Geldof doesn’t live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fvp4 wrote: »
    That’s mostly sea cargo isn’t it? Big huge containers. Air freight is for already expensive items that need to get to market quick. The original launch of iPhones for instance but not later versions.

Sea cargo is super slow...

Air cargo is next day AM to the majority of Europe and USA... air cargo is about speed....not value... There is high value computer parts, aircraft parts.... legal documents, retail purchases, all using air cargo because its efficient and fast,,,

Bono almost certainly pays personal taxes here. Geldof doesn’t live here.

Wasn't be declared as a Dutch resident?

(And artists don't pay income tax on the first million)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Mike as publicity genius angle is always a bit dodgy and hard to quantify.

I've a feeling the company is successful as much despite his utterances and persona as because of it.

They're successful because they were the first to see a market gap for a brutally no frills product, upselling and an iron fist on costs and workers that's popular with a large segment of the market who don't mind a bit of inconvenience if it means saving a few quid and why not.

I would imagine when they can't offer that to that market, all the media shtetalk in the world won't amount to much.

I avoid flying them if I can possibly avoid ity for a range of personal reasons but no strong feelings one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think the U2 company or similar is registered offshore but they pay personal income tax here.

And if so, I'd hazard a guess its a lot more than most of us pay put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Bono has been spotted in Monaco a few times over the years. You need to be living in Ireland for 183 days of the income tax year to be tax docomlied here, so if he's living down in Monaco, then he's not paying income tax or capital gains tax to any government.

*reads title*

*TABLESLAM* YES! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

If Aer Lingus did not have the competition on their own doorstep we would be charged a kings ransom to travel. I saw an interview once with somebody from Aer Lingus's PR Dept about the high fares to go to London. She advised that these were to subsidise the North American flights. Therefore that business of crossing the North Atlantic must have been be a hugh loss maker at the time. If no Ryanair, we would be fed a daily dose of b
    t of this being an island and not economic to have cheap fares.

If travelling myself, if the flights between Aer Lingus and Ryanair have a difference of about €40 i will usually take Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus are not the only ones who have a history of high fares. A niece of mine was coming home for xmas a few years ago from Toronto. Air Canada fare was €500 greater than Aer Lingus (return). The only difference between the flights was that Air Canada went Toronto/Heathrow/Dublin and Aer Lingus was Toronto/Chicago/Dublin.

No. Some parts of the U2 company moved to Holland. No human can do that unless they actually move to live there and actually live there.

Source?

• Advertisement

Bono has been spotted in Monaco a few times over the years. You need to be living in Ireland for 183 days of the income tax year to be tax docomlied here, so if he's living down in Monaco, then he's not paying income tax or capital gains tax to any government.

I’ll definitely take the fact that he’s been occasionally spotted in Monaco as proof that he lives there most of the year.

Strumms wrote: »
    Sea cargo is super slow...

Air cargo is next day AM to the majority of Europe and USA... air cargo is about speed....not value... There is high value computer parts, aircraft parts.... legal documents, retail purchases, all using air cargo because its efficient and fast,,,

Still most international freight is sea. Speed rarely matters for most supply chains. You just update at a steady pace. Anyway Ryanair isn’t freight.

No. Some parts of the U2 company moved to Holland. No human can do that unless they actually move to live there and actually live there.

Source?

Who says where he lives? He's constantly on the move.

Artist exemption was amended in 2015 it seems. Now its per artistic item

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

That pretty much means the entire income from Pop will be tax free so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mrh1974 wrote: »
    do you wish to share the facts or is this just one those silly insulting slurs that muddy the waters of sensible debate about the environment?

Ryanair Europe’s 7th biggest carbon polluter last year as aviation emissions continued to grow (2019). It's sitting 7th inbetween all the Euro power plants.

basill wrote: »
    That pretty much means the entire income from Pop will be tax free so:)

If you have a good accountant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

fvp4 wrote: »
    I’ll definitely take the fact that he’s been occasionally spotted in Monaco as proof that he lives there most of the year.
    that is what it usually means tho ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

His place is in France, about 20 minutes drive from the Monaco border.......... Eze-Sur-Mer.

For tax reasons you have to be registered somewhere. Bono is mostly here anyway. If he wasn’t here for 183 days he’d still probably be taxed here.

It was never one million anytime.

Strumms wrote: »
    His place is in France, about 20 minutes drive from the Monaco border.......... Eze-Sur-Mer.

His main place is in Dalkey. France is no kind of tax haven. I think the edge might be resident in New York. Larry Mullen also lives here.

I don’t even like Bono but the nonsense people talk about tax is just beyond belief. He’s apparently living in Holland, France and gets a 1M exemption in Ireland where he doesn’t live at all, despite the house being here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Magno_DT wrote: »
    I fly Aer Lingus but I believe I can do that only because Ryanair exist and keep Aer Lingus on their toes. God only knows what Aer Lingus would be charging us these days if it weren't for Ryanair's crazy low prices.
    Tippman24 wrote: »
    If Aer Lingus did not have the competition on their own doorstep we would be charged a kings ransom to travel. I saw an interview once with somebody from Aer Lingus's PR Dept about the high fares to go to London. She advised that these were to subsidise the North American flights. Therefore that business of crossing the North Atlantic must have been be a hugh loss maker at the time. If no Ryanair, we would be fed a daily dose of b
    t of this being an island and not economic to have cheap fares.

If travelling myself, if the flights between Aer Lingus and Ryanair have a difference of about €40 i will usually take Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus are not the only ones who have a history of high fares. A niece of mine was coming home for xmas a few years ago from Toronto. Air Canada fare was €500 greater than Aer Lingus (return). The only difference between the flights was that Air Canada went Toronto/Heathrow/Dublin and Aer Lingus was Toronto/Chicago/Dublin.

My first flight was in 1996 as a 12yo Unaccompanied Minor with my sister to Frankfurt-Main from Dublin with EI code-share with Lufthansa.

It cost £370, EACH return iirc. Thank Christ my German uncle was wealthy.

Imagine what that would have been like if the likes of Ryanair didn't come to revolutionise the market.

That being said, if it wasn't for the State, Ryanair would have gone to the wall in 89. So you know, you win some, you lose some.

One thing to credit Ryanair with is the fact that they still HQ in Dublin and are a genuinely Irish company paying Irish taxes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement