Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just don't get...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Snl can still be good depending on who the guest of the week is,
    i think it was better in the 90s, or 10 years ago, than it is now.
    the purpose of bitcoin seems to be tax evasion, paying ransomware ,causing pointless use of energy to destroy the environment,being used by criminals ,
    eg its like nuclear weapons , a fffing waste of money .
    Rich people can afford invest in it because it might increase in value.
    people who pay 50k for a pokeman card or a baseball card.
    Making people study the irish language versus a useful subject like maths or
    physics .

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    7500 posts of pure poetry you mean

Am I missing something? Is there something more subtle going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Sunbathing.

Then you're doing it wrong.

You need to do it with beer and a good book

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Not getting something and being curious to understand it is grand, encouraged even.
    But what I don't get is people who don't get something and sneer and look down on it or the people who do it with no intention to enlighten themselves as to the reason or purpose or benefits of the thing.
    Just because YOU don't get it, doesn't mean it's stupid or bad or has no purpose. Wise up.

Internet dweebs who admire and respect Vlad Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

boardlady wrote: »
    Sci fi - I'm a realist i'm afraid

For me all that matters is good characters you can relate to and once you have that i find the actual genre doesnt matter

Mine would be:

How people can find a salad tasty
    Using a mouse and keyboard to play a game
    Reality tv and celebrity news
    Art and poetry
    Gambling
    Drinking shots
    Why people from cities/towns pay over 2k for car insurance
    How employed people can get bored

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭sporina

Watched the first episode, found the characters speaking in some argot with a passing resemblance to english, ugh, so not bothered deciphering this.

yeah I tried watching the 1st ep twice and twas like another language - also, I found the main character's accent v "put on"..

I dunno.. I might try it again in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Greyfox wrote: »
    Mine would be:

Using a mouse and keyboard to play a game
    d

im the opposite. i only use keyboard and mouse to play game. how do you play sim city or command and conqueor using a ps controller

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

riclad wrote: »
    Snl can still be good depending on who the guest of the week is,
    i think it was better in the 90s, or 10 years ago, than it is now.
    the purpose of bitcoin seems to be tax evasion, paying ransomware ,causing pointless use of energy to destroy the environment,being used by criminals ,
    eg its like nuclear weapons , a fffing waste of money .
    Rich people can afford invest in it because it might increase in value.
    people who pay 50k for a pokeman card or a baseball card.
    Making people study the irish language versus a useful subject like maths or
    physics .
    I don't get how some people hit the Return key after every sentence, making their posts look like bad poetry which no-one will read.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why are young people- teenagers especially so reluctant to talk to people on the phone? It's all messaging and they only call someone as a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭TheDavester

People being a fan of the tv show Friends , think its is a substitute for a personality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Why are young people- teenagers especially so reluctant to talk to people on the phone? It's all messaging and they only call someone as a last resort.

Tbf, I'm 37 just gone 38 and I hate talking to people on the phone, because it drags on and you're usually asked something you don't want/care to talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Celebrity

Tbf, I'm 37 just gone 38 and I hate talking to people on the phone, because it drags on and you're usually asked something you don't want/care to talk about.

Voice messaging on whatsapp is such a blessing. You get to hear tone, jokes are funnier, and you can fast forward the boring bits.

Far superior to phone calls, or even texting.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

A date on tinder or plenty of fish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Binge-watching.

I'd rather stretch a series out over ten days and have something to look forward to every day, instead of the instant gratification of watching it over two days

I generally watch TV series on DVD / BD once a week - as they were originally broadcast, rather than binge on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched the first episode, found the characters speaking in some argot with a passing resemblance to english, ugh, so not bothered deciphering this.

Series 2 is the one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Our corner stores, supermarkets and petrol stations sell pastries which are uncovered/openly exposed. To the snot/**** covered fingers of the public

Who among you are actually buying these? And how many pubes have you found.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

85603 wrote: »
    Our corner stores, supermarkets and petrol stations sell pastries which are uncovered/openly exposed. To the snot/**** covered fingers of the public

Who among you are actually buying these? And how many pubes have you found.

I have no idea. Even in places with decent bakeries you can see this.
    It's one good thing out of Covid that more shops are now wrapping these things up.
    The Eco warriors aren't impressed tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some games are best played with a mouse, eg rts games like starcraft strategy games sim City etc
    Most pc games work with an Xbox controller
    Celeb news in tabloids most of it is simply images and posts copied from Facebook instagram
    Celeb news about people on tv shows

I don't care that some actor on corrie is getting married or has a new girlfriend
    Vegatarians I don't see the harm in eating meat as long as you have a balanced diet
    People wearing jeans with big holes in them
    Men who wear sneakers without wearing socks
    People who want to be known as them
    Is he or she not simple enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why so many people find it necessary to slap an apostrophe on every word ending with the letter “s”. A plural doesn’t need one. Please learn this.

Drink's.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live on American telly. Is it that I don't get it or is it really that bad?

It seems really popular but I've watched loads of clips of it and I've never once cracked a smile. I've heard this cowbell sketch was meant to be the best one, but jeez... awful rubbish.

Any others
    It's massively hit and miss.

I enjoyed the piss take of mare of easttown recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Friends has been on telly non-stop since it ended over 15 years ago, and on more than one channel too.
    Seinfeld which is the better show by a country mile hasn't been repeated in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I have no idea. Even in places with decent bakeries you can see this.
    It's one good thing out of Covid that more shops are now wrapping these things up.
    The Eco warriors aren't impressed tough.

i saw a girl about 7yrs old lick an iced donut on a supermarket shelf and just leave it there on the shelf for an unsuspecting customer. i was so mortified i didnt know what to do, and sadly i did nothing. i shoudl have thrown it somewhere.

never bought uncovered bakery stuff after that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Friends has been on telly non-stop since it ended over 15 years ago, and on more than one channel too.
    Seinfeld which is the better show by a country mile hasn't been repeated in decades.

was it ever as popular as friends on this side of the atlantic? Though jerry seinfeld has made 100's of millions from Seinfeld reruns so somebody must be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why so many people find it necessary to slap an apostrophe on every word ending with the letter “s”. A plural doesn’t need one. Please learn this.

Drink's.jpg

A van passed me the other day.

DOG'S ON BOARD.

Dog's what on board? What is belonging to a dog that is "on board?"

I wanted to follow this van, wait until it was parked up, and peel off this apostrophe.

A van passed me the other day.

DOG'S ON BOARD.

Dog's what on board? What is belonging to a dog that is "on board?"

I wanted to follow this van, wait until it was parked up, and peel off this apostrophe.

It is clearly an abbreviated form of "Dog is on board"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Celebrity

Can understand it if you achieve something of note or are genuinely talented in your field.

Can't understand it if the sum of your talent/achievement is having a decent face or the ability to cover yourself in fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It is clearly an abbreviated form of "Dog is on board"

Hardly worth abbreviating is to ‘s

• Advertisement

Hardly worth abbreviating is to ‘s

I wasn't being entirely serious

Advertisement