Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

vetinari wrote: »
    He's already been elected once thanks to loons like this.
    Carrying him on your platform is an implicit endorsement of him.

I love this.Democracy is fine with some people until the result doesnt go their way.

Then everybody is a loon.

Exactly the same thing happened with the brexit referendum.

Anyone who lives in a country that elected Bertie Ahern as head of government three times has no right to slag the electoral results or voting pattern of another nations electorate.

While on the subject of Alex Jones. Just because you dont like what someone says it doesnt mean you are entitled to stop them saying it.

Unless they are saying something libelous or illegal but thats another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love this.Democracy is fine with some people until the result doesnt go their way.

Anyone who lives in a country that elected Bertie Ahern as head of government three times has no right to slag the electoral results or voting pattern of another nations electorate.

While on the subject of Alex Jones. Just because you dont like what someone says it doesnt mean you are entitled to stop them saying it.

Facebook, Youtube, Apple et al are entitled to stop him saying it. It is their platform. They make the rules.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but many are absolute dheads about it. Lauren Southern I see is one of these right wing antagonists who has her opinions and rightfully so, but she spends as much time if not more poking and prodding people for a reaction than anything else. Milo Yiannopoulos is just as bad if not worse, but he openly admits he gets a kick out of rubbing people up the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That's a very different argument and unless the massive legal decision is made to indemnify them against the thousands of lawsuits that would follow from allowing the likes of Alex Jones, Isis, the KKK and all the other fringe lunatics that would take advantage of such an approach, it's never going to happen.

I mean they already have been on those platforms. They weren’t removed for that.

Free speech laws are pretty strong on the US.

Facebook, Youtube, Apple et al are entitled to stop him saying it. It is their platform. They make the rules.

What are the rules?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    Shouldn't have banned him. Using "hate" speech argument would just lead to lots of people being banned from social media platforms from all sections of society.

Platforms are already banning people for hate speech.  Boards.ie will ban you for hate speech.  You seem to think that is a bad thing and i'm pretty sure i can understand why.
    Define hate speech. People use the term for anything they don't like these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Would you consider calling the Sandy Hook shooting a hoax libelous?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but many are absolute dheads about it. Lauren Southern I see is one of these right wing antagonists who has her opinions and rightfully so, but she spends as much time if not more poking and prodding people for a reaction than anything else. Milo Yiannopoulos is just as bad if not worse, but he openly admits he gets a kick out of rubbing people up the wrong way.

Why give someone you may disagree with the satisfaction of a response?

What are the rules?

I'm sure you already know if you use those services. Feel free to go to some effort yourself to find out.

Would you consider calling the Sandy Hook shooting a hoax libelous?

That will be decided in court. Not by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Also those platforms aren’t suable for speech themselves, the individual posters are.

Define hate speech. People use the term for anything they don't like these days.

"All drag queens should be burned alive". Is that hate speech enough for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

"All drag queens should be burned alive".  Is that hate speech enough for you?
    Can you link to this being said?

Can you link to this being said?

Well i cant because it was taken down. But here is a link to a report on it

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/08/06/facebook-deletes-infowars-alex-jones-hate-speech-lgbt-racist-hate-speech/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=FB_IA&utm_campaign=PN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

So it will be up to a court to decide if sandy hook shootings where a hoax.:rolleyes:

As a human being, do you believe the parents who lost their children are lying?

By the way, Alex Jones himself has backtracked and said he now doesn't believe it was a hoax.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Why give someone you may disagree with the satisfaction of a response?

That's the thing. I don't personally, but far too many people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sometimes hate speech is hate speech

sometimes hate speech is wrong-think

So it will be up to a court to decide if sandy hook shootings where a hoax.:rolleyes:

NO. What Alex Jones said about will be determined either defamatory ornot.

He's being sued by two of the parents for defamation.

This will be settled via the legal system.

Whether it was a hoax or not won;t be

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/01/alex-jones-conspiracy-theorist-sandy-hook-defamation-lawsuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

What happened to his Welsh accent?

• Advertisement

By the way, Alex Jones himself has backtracked and said he now doesn't believe it was a hoax.

I never suggested they were lying. Even if they were how would I know.

If Alex Jones has backtracked then he's in trouble unless he can find evidence to back whatever statements he's alleged to have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't push. Anyone who's unwilling to state that sandy hook was not staged obviously has problems with facts. They're never going to admit it.

Or they're just trolling and trying to score points.

Either way, they're not someone you can debate with.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    That's the thing. I don't personally, but far too many people do.

More fool them.

It's as clear as day that Milo Yiannopoulos is a professional sh1t stirrer.

People continue to fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If Alex Jones has backtracked then he's in trouble unless he can find evidence to back whatever statements he's alleged to have made.

You refused to say if it was libellous. You said that's a matter for the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When will people realise this isn't a free speech issue? This is about a freaking intergalactic invasion into this space through people, it's what all the ancients said, its what they warned of. These people are demons and they are pouring black rivers of pestilent filth down upon our heads while Trump is charging into a goblin's nest and getting covered in goblin vomit.

I just hope no-one tells him about Michael D. He'll think he's a hobbit and try to get the One Ring from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Grayson wrote: »
    Don't push. Anyone who's unwilling to state that sandy hook was not staged obviously has problems with facts. They're never going to admit it.

Correct, have had "debates" with them in the past, they aren't the type of people who have reasoned themselves into that viewpoint. Reason is not a part of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It was obvious he meant whether it was libel or not will be decided in court.

I never suggested it was staged.

The question raised was whether "calling" it a hoax was libelous.

I stated that this will be decided in court as it is the subject of court proceedings.

Ok, insidious, delusional, divisive and hateful ramblings apart, then you must understand that platforms like Youtube, Facebook, iTunes etc. cannot continue to give a platform to someone who is being sued for defamation in two separate cases.

If his followers think him a martyr for Free Speech, they can still support him by subscribing to his insidious, delusional, divisive and hateful webshow, which is freely available to anyone inclined to listen to him. They can then vote for Trump again, which they would have done anyway, regardless of his platforms.

• Advertisement

You refused to say if it was libellous. You said that's a matter for the courts.

Yes. Very clearly. Isnt that the point of libel law?

Advertisement