Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your mother?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think I call her Mam/Mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

who cares?

A name is just a name. A rose by any other name?

I'm just grateful that she's still with me and that I'll get to give her a hug on Sunday and please God many Sundays and Mothers days to come and at the same time say a silent prayer for those when their parents have passed to the next world.

I'm a very lucky person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

"Mom" is sometimes a cross between mum and mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 photochain

Mam and my husband calls his mother ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Amma, the informal way of saying mother in Tamil.
    Also call my dad Appa, the Tamil for dad, even though he's Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I don't understand why this gets people's backs up.

Apparently I must be British or a protestant to call my mother "mum" even though I'm neither. Although I've never come across this attitude IRL; only on boards. Maybe people are silently judging me.

Why do I call her mum? I don't know. It's what I've always called her even though most of my friends say mam. There was no conscious decision on my part. But mam would feel wrong because she's my mum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you or anyone else can show me any Irish person referring to their mother as "mom" before say 1990 you can colour me beyond shocked. I certainly never heard it before then and if you hear it as Gaelige it's more of an ahh sound than the American Ohh.

I gotta back up the chap that was talking about it being a Cork and Kerry thing. I can't particularly speak for Cork, but my Kerry partner and his older siblings (he, at youngest, would be born mid-80s, and his elder siblings were born back into the late 60s) have always used Mom and considered it quite normal. His theory is the Mhaim aspect too, we were oddly enough talking about this very thing a couple of weeks ago.

For myself, I use Mum, but I'm half-English. I noticed in school that all the kids with an English parent (which was generally the mother) used Mum, and the all-Irish ones used Mam and Mammy. I had never come across Mom in the south east bar in American TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ice Storm wrote: »

Apparently I must be British or a protestant to call my mother "mum" even though I'm neither. Although I've never come across this attitude IRL; only on boards. Maybe people are silently judging me.

Why do I call her mum? I don't know. It's what I've always called her even though most of my friends say mam. There was no conscious decision on my part. But mam would feel wrong because she's my mum. :)

No idea why people take it so personally but in my circles most would say mum as well. The word 'mam' is completely alien to me...which apparently makes me a west brit, according to another thread when this came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

Both my parents called their mothers mam, I'm from a family of country folk - Irish and Catholic, and I call my mother mum. No idea why - been doing so since I was very young. It's a mostly middle-class/suburban thing in Ireland definitely, but not just protestant or English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I call my mother "Mammy". I know people who say Mum. Younger people <5 seem to say Mommy. Doesn't bother me at all to be brutally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Mam is what I call her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Moo-Ma

Pardon me boy, is that Chattanooga Choo-Choo!?
    Manny-Moo, is that you?

When I'm talking to my mam it's 'mum' or 'mammy', but 'mam' has crept in when talking about her. Been in Dublin too long :pac:

And if she's not listening I call her a diminutive of her first name. The head fairly snaps up then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I call her mam, my sister calls her mom, I think it's to do with what our peers were calling theirs too. We both would have called her mammy when we were small. We both went to the same local working class schools - although I went to the first educate together from senior infants so that would have been "posher" back then and I still called her mam.

Bit mad how some people get so upset by what other people call their mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

I leave Dublin every Friday afternoon and drive down home to the country with a huge bag of washing. The woman who washes, dries and irons these clothes is known to me as Mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

When I was a child I called her mummy/mammy but as I got into my teens I started calling her mum/mam instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Mam or mom, or sometimes her give name. Mom was normal where I lived as a kid, Mam was normal where I lived as a teen. I usually only use her name if I'm
    slagging her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Ice Storm wrote: »

They exist IRL too, believe me. I really don't understand it either, but there are a couple I know who occasionally go on about people using 'mum' and make snide remarks about the type of people that use these terms (and you can see little references to it on their Facebook feed, in conversations between themselves :rolleyes:) I find it really weird to obsess over something so meaningless and also clueless as to how these terms catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm Scottish so naturally it's mum or maw. If she isn't listening to me I shout "Lorraine!"... She's listening now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I'm Scottish so naturally it's mum or maw. If she isn't listening to me I shout "Lorraine!"... She's listening now :P

Is Lorraine Kelly your mum?

• Advertisement

Maw sounds cool actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Mom.

Mammy and mommy sound a bit childish to me.

colossus-x wrote: »
    Mom.

Mammy and mommy sound a bit childish to me.

I'm telling my Mammy on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

mansize wrote: »
    Is Lorraine Kelly your mum?

I feel ashamed that I had to try and remind myself who that person was. Forgot she even existed!
    Maw sounds cool actually!

Advertisement