Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your mother?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Actually sometimes I refer to "me ma" and if you say it a few times in a row you sound like an ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd call her 'Ma', but when I was a young child I'd say 'Mammy'.

Mum/mummy always sounded too English and mom/mommy was too American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Wibbs wrote: »
    Gotcha, but I'd still hold the wider usage is most definitely a new thing and coming from the American.

I think there's probably a distinction to both pronunciations of "mom". The Irish/Gaelic one tends to be said with a shorter vowel in the middle, whereas the American one is elongated. Almost like "mawm".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Mother / Mam.

"Mother" when I was an angsty teenager but started calling her Mam the older I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

What is with this rage over "mom"?!

It depends on context - I can think of two women immediately who were very much born before 1990 (they were born in the 1940s) who called their mother "mom". It's a rural thing (Ireland isn't just Dublin!) and related to the pronunciation of "Maim" in Irish, which sounds phonetically more like "mom" than "mam".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm working class and I say 'mum'. It seems to be common enough in Galway whereas my mum (from Mayo) calls her mother 'mam'.

When I talk to other people, I say "me mam" as that's what most people still say especially county galway but I'll always address her as directly"mum".
    "Mum" would definitely be working class in the UK, whereas "Mummy" is posher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Always Mum in our family, although I did hear others calling for their Mam & Mammy as children. But I never heard of Mom until recently, so I can only presume it's an American import, since about the 1990s . . . . .?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

"bitch"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Kaiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Talking about her to my siblings: 'where's ma?'.

Talking to her: 'Hi mam'.

Calling her from another room: 'MOTHER'.

'Mum' and 'mom' make me cringe unless said by British or American people respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    "Mum" would definitely be working class in the UK, whereas "Mummy" is posher.

I've a friend who still calls her mother "mummy". It sounds really odd to me when adults do this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

When I'm referring to her I call her Mum but if I'm speaking to her I would use her given name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sadie06 wrote: »
    Talking about her to my siblings: 'where's ma?'.

this is only acceptable if you're the kind who wears pajamas to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I have an irrational hatred for hearing "mammy" from anyone but a small child.

Its "Mam", or "Ma" for me. Usually the latter, while sounding like a dying sheep. "MAAAaaaaaaaa". She hates it. Its great.

When referring to her/speaking about her to others, I'd be more likely to say, "I was talking to my mother earlier...".

smash wrote: »
    this is only acceptable if you're the kind who wears pajamas to the shop.

I'm surprised you know those people exist. When do you get the time to go shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sadie06 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you know those people exist. When do you get the time to go shopping?
    Sure you gotta know who to avoid...

smash wrote: »
    Sure you gotta know who to avoid...

Well, you might have to go to the US to avoid pajama wearers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I call her Mom, but then she was born and raised in New York, so to call her anything else would be weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Mum mostly. She's English so Mam was never an option. A dragged out 'Maaaaaaa' was a great way to annoy her.

If we give her grandchildren someday, she'll never be a Granny. Not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

So what is the difference between mam mom and mum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Look, can we all just agree that the Ma's, Mum's & Mammy's of Eireann have been criminally overcooking roast-beef since the foundation of the State.

It's not meant to be grey in colour gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I've been calling her by her given name since I was 14 just to wind her up. Doesn't mind now bit it feels to weird to call her another but her given name.

Mum to me in Ireland is more of Protestant thing if the family arn't British.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Look, can we all just agree that the Ma's, Mum's & Mammy's of Eireann have been criminally overcooking roast-beef since the foundation of the State.

It's not meant to be grey in colour gals.

It's not just the mothers - Irish people know a steak is done when it turns up at the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's not just the mothers - Irish people know a steak is done when it turns up at the edges.
    This, why can't we get it right? The red bloody juicy goodness is just so damn tasty!

Nailz wrote: »
    This, why can't we get it right? The red bloody juicy goodness is just so damn tasty!

I don't know. I think people just don't want to be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

I call her by her first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Moo-Ma

Pardon me boy, is that Chattanooga Choo-Choo!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Mam. Or Katherine if she doesn't answer me quick enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

LordSutch wrote: »
    Always Mum in our family, although I did hear others calling for their Mam & Mammy as children. But I never heard of Mom until recently, so I can only presume it's an American import, since about the 1990s . . . . .?
    Nah you just didn't read this thread :p but while I know the American accent adopted by people throughout this island is atrocious (pronouncing Cork as "quark" - wtf) "mom" is definitely not always part of it.

Advertisement