Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The G.A.A. - A Good or Bad thing?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Exactly not what the way they should be probably doing stuff when we could be having a possible thing.

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Im amazed at people saying how GAA look after their own with jobs etc..
    Why shouldnt they??? These players train 5/6 nights a week. Sacrifice social/family life for their clubs/county without the big soccer payout at the end of the week.
    Hurling is one of the most skillful games you could watch and the fact that this is a "hobby" makes it all the more outstanding.

Yes some players are sorted with jobs but I would imagine they would also have to have qualifications and ability to qualify.

Some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

sabat wrote: »
    Obviously? Because they take frees from a different distance and have to wear skirts? That's like saying Serena Williams isn't playing tennis because they only play 3 sets.

Frees from a different distance
    Can catch ball 3 times
    Can handpass ball into the goal
    Can drop their hurley
    Cannot tackle with shoulder
    Have to use tape on their hurleys where the metal band is.
    Use a smaller ball

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's off the top of my head.
    Sounds obviously different to me anyway.

Tennis is under the one umbrella too - Camogie are their own organisation.
    If they want to reduce to 7 a side, they can. Won't impact on hurling.

By your reckoning, hockey is probably the same sport as hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

SAMTALK wrote: »
    some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.
    Have you never heard of the Civil Service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

PressRun wrote: »
    I think the Wiley brothers who play for Monaghan are Protestant. Don't know if they've ever been on the receiving any of any religion-based abuse, but I haven't heard of it if they were.

To be fair though, players get sledged on all sorts of ****e these days. You do hear the "horror stories" from time to time regarding the abuse some players have supposedly gotten, but tbh, I think, for the most part, it's fairly harmless stuff and most people are well able to handle themselves in the face of such nonsense. Sledging can be hard enough for refs to police as well. Players would be cute enough in making sure they aren't heard.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/monaghan-sectarian-abuse-row-escalates-as-clubs-trade-barbs-29267500.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Im amazed at people saying how GAA look after their own with jobs etc..
    Why shouldnt they??? These players train 5/6 nights a week. Sacrifice social/family life for their clubs/county without the big soccer payout at the end of the week.
    Hurling is one of the most skillful games you could watch and the fact that this is a "hobby" makes it all the more outstanding.

Yes some players are sorted with jobs but I would imagine they would also have to have qualifications and ability to qualify.

Some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.

I've seen how the D4, Rugger, Old boys network work and it is nepotism at its finest. I remember a barman, where I worked, being offered a job in Irish Life for no other reason than he was a son of an ex Irish Rugby international.

GAA tends to be trying to keep a lad in the local club or county or even worse, in the country, because he'll emigrate. Some don't really need that.

Michael Murphy had the chance to go to Aussie rules but declined it, this was when Donegal were considered a soft touch and got hammered by the likes of Cork and Armagh by 15 points or so, an object of derision really.

All Ireland medals were far from a realistic goal, even winning an Ulster title was a long shot. Murphy went to DCU as well so no job offer to keep him here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Full of bigots. A good place for those who think they are more Irish than the rest of us yet they've always been closely tied in with a well known Middle Eastern religious cult from getting a weirdo in a dress who'll lecture you on your sex life to throw the ball in on cup final day to having blokes from the same organisation batter kids to play the chosen sport.

Liam Brady and Douglas Hyde are just two that have dared cross the bigots who are the essence of small time Ireland.

Wake up Rip. It's 2016.

Advertisement