Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Copping On

Options
2»

Comments

Personally I copped on too late and it happened after college. I didn't have the cop on to leave that Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In another country maybe. In Ireland there is a phenomenal sense of achievement attached to getting mortgage approval/ buying a house. You are pretty much looked down on by others if you don’t own your own home. The banks are well aware of this, hence the AIB add about a middle-aged couple on the last day of their mortgage, as though it were akin to winning an Olympic gold medal. The Irish psyche around property is quite bizarre. In other countries people just buy a place, they don’t feel it gives them any bragging rights that they own a property.
    There is the same sense of achievement in every country with doing that.

It's just in Ireland it seems very unwise to do it given what you are getting for the money and our level of earnings.

Its not really our fault in many ways though.

Its a no win situation. We don't have long leases we don't have affordable rents.

Neither renting nor having a mortgage is a good option for many.

But what else are they to do?

Yes they can live with family if they have that option. Not all do though.

I don't really think its a case of Irish people caring what people think of them or feeling judged. Its simply them wanting stability.

Moving from rented accommodation to rented accommodation is tiring.

But you shouldn't care what anyone thinks of your living situation. And if they say anything ....simple ..tell them to start paying a mortgage for you if they want to comment.

Its not bragging rights.

I rarely hear people BRAGGING about their houses etc.

And i mean good for them ..they got what they wanted ! Its not like they are looking down on everyone.

I hope you all get the place of your dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

The day you realise what a gob****e you were when you were a younger adult

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

zanador wrote: »
    The day you realise what a gob****e you were when you were a younger adult
    I was overly serious. And took myself waay too seriously. Also was really hard on myself.

I had to look perfect. I had to please people. Never thought I was good enough.

I had no cop on. Literally people would take advantage of me often.

I am only NOW copping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The core Irish life goal seems to be to get a mortgage. Everything builds up to that. Doesn't sit right.

It's not the mortgage that most people want. It's the security of having accommodation that you can control.

If we had a better rental market (good supply & stable prices) I would never have bought a property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In another country maybe. In Ireland there is a phenomenal sense of achievement attached to getting mortgage approval/ buying a house. You are pretty much looked down on by others if you don’t own your own home. The banks are well aware of this, hence the AIB add about a middle-aged couple on the last day of their mortgage, as though it were akin to winning an Olympic gold medal. The Irish psyche around property is quite bizarre. In other countries people just buy a place, they don’t feel it gives them any bragging rights that they own a property.

Owning a home is an amazing achievement in life, all the sacrifices, all the hard work, and then to finely own it, to call it yours, yup, its well deserved. Again, I believe, it truly is about increasing accommodation security, its extremely difficult to achieve normal life milestones such as raising kids etc, without this security.

It's important to also remember, advertisement is essentially about lying, creating a fantasy, and banks are in the business of selling debt, so......
    85603 wrote:
    When you realise that cash=gash the copping on just sort of happens.

Is being lead by desires truly a good way to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

One should never act like a teenager. Especially if you are a teenager.

I copped on long before i left my teens.

Often think some people are born copped on and a few never cop on at all or at least not until way past the age they should have.
    Nothing like kids to cop you on, just have no other choice. Mortgage doesn't necessarily cop you on.

Nothing like kids to cop you on

If kids don't cop you on.......

who they reflect on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

How shall we cop on, O Lord? I'm 49, have a mortgage and I've been working in the same place for fifteen years. I recently bought an Airsoft M4A1 rifle with a dot-scope and laser sight, and spent yesterday evening drinking beer and dialling-in the sights while firing a couple hundred rounds at beer-cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

jimgoose wrote: »
    How shall we cop on, O Lord? I'm 49, have a mortgage and I've been working in the same place for fifteen years. I recently bought an Airsoft M4A1 rifle with a dot-scope and laser sight, and spent yesterday evening drinking beer and dialling-in the sights while firing a couple hundred rounds at beer-cans.

As you are well aware, the emboldened bit makes everything you said after it completely ok. Admirable even.

Change that bit to "live at home and have been on the scratch for 15 years" then we can debate if you have any cop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

As you are well aware, the emboldened bit makes everything you said after it completely ok. Admirable even.

Change that bit to "live at home and have been on the scratch for 15 years" then we can debate if you have any cop on!

I'll change it to lone parent of a special needs child who received benefits for years due to being unable to leave him. Ever. No sleepovers, no playdates, when he was in school I did part time work.I don't own my own house and it's only in the last five years I've been able to get my life back together somewhat (I'm early 40s).

I'm fairly copped on though, I think. I'm definitely an adult. I'd say the above experiences made me cop on to what life really can be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Most people’s idea of copping on leads them to getting massively into debt and wasting their best years miserably sitting in an office or factory bragging about mortgages, their boring kids and complaining about their horrible co workers. But someday they can retire, but by then they’ll be too old and tired to really enjoy anything. Very few people have the courage to do what they enjoy and not follow the copped on miserable masses. Modern Irelands horrible work worship culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I copped-on at 16 and I bought my first house at 31 without a mortgage, I am now in my mid-Thirties and renovating the old grandparents family home again without a penny borrowed. I spent 9 weeks already abroad on the equator this past winter when the lockdown misery tanked here.

I don't drink or smoke and I attribute my financial prudence to this plus early lessons in my teenage years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

jimgoose wrote: »

Id be similar - I think Im getting worse now the kids are teenagers.

Im 46 , recently bought a Oculus headset so Im more a fool with that thing on,built an arcade machine in the 1st lockdown. Now Ive taken up mountain biking - bad things are going to happen there.
    I put a hot tub in the garden that we have Saturday drinkies in it until 3 / 4 in the morning most weekends - yep Im definitely copped on.
    Im regressing to not having any cop on at all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

theguzman wrote: »
    I copped-on at 16 and I bought my first house at 31 without a mortgage, I am now in my mid-Thirties and renovating the old grandparents family home again without a penny borrowed. I spent 9 weeks already abroad on the equator this past winter when the lockdown misery tanked here.

I don't drink or smoke and I attribute my financial prudence to this plus early lessons in my teenage years.

Fair play. What were the early lessons in your teenager years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

It is interesting how most post equate buying a house, or getting a mortgage to having “cop on.” It shows how unique the Irish psyche is and how house prices are at an all time high in the country.

I'm responsible when it comes to my career and finances. I'm still care free and childish in every other aspect of life. I'm middle aged and I still pull the same pranks on my friends that I did when I was a teenager.

I hope that never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Fair play. What were the early lessons in your teenager years?

I travelled to America aged 16-17 and during that trip I just got seriously addicted to money, greed and wealth, I returned home with a conservative viewpoint that money is success and nothing else matters in life and that the pursuit of wealth defines me who I am today, it was a formative trip at a key moment in my personal development, it formed me socially and politically also.

I take a more laid back approach to life now but that trip formed some serious discipline and habits that have stood me well ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Wording is unclear. Acting like a teenager is being moody, over emotional, melodramatic... most people naturally evolve past that.

If you mean when to stop partying, being a student, travelling, doing temporary/casual jobs... no set age really. I don't see how you can force it one random day. Just happens for most eventually. On average from what I've observed it varies from late 20s to mid 30s.

The ultimate settle-down turning point is becoming a parent though. Moreso than a mortgage. Someone could have a mortgage, a really well paying job, rent rooms to friends and continue partying. But with a child, your responsibilities skyrocket - and that could be at age 18 or 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It begins with realising that parents might actually be people and not just an annoying presents in the background trying to stop the fun, it's gradual after that.

• Advertisement

First job when living away from home; first experience of losing a job while having to pay rent the next week; a dying parent; mortgage; first child. It's a process, not an event.

Age doesn't come into it. I have friends in their early-30's who act 22. Everyone is on their own path, there are no rules.

Advertisement