Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copping On

Options
  • 16-05-2021 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

In the traditional sense. How do you know when to "cop on" and stop acting like a teenager. What age?

I would say it's time to cop on when you've got a mortgage. That permanency and responsibility ought to be the moment but I think the housing crisis has led to prolonged renting. The labour market has normalised job hopping which I would say also 'mitigates' any feelings of responsibility and prolongs the period of not being copped on.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

In the traditional sense. How do you know when to "cop on" and stop acting like a teenager. What age?

I would say it's time to cop on when you've got a mortgage. That permanency and responsibility ought to be the moment but I think the housing crisis has led to prolonged renting. The labour market has normalised job hopping which I would say also 'mitigates' any feelings of responsibility and prolongs the period of not being copped on.

Thoughts?

You can’t have cop on without a mortgage. It’s a scientific fact (in Ireland at least). The Germans have no cop on, as many of them have no mortgage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Victor wrote: »

Fcuk, so that’s the question, disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you ever start copping on as you put it. You've lost the battle.

People shouldn't ever cop on life is some crack you should leave space for just being an edgit sometimes.

• Advertisement

Pushing a baby out of your vagina at 22 years old cops one on pretty fast. *

* May not work for lads. (Although...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Thoughts?

I like copping off.

Feisty woman essential for the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

isha wrote:

If it results in copping on, i ll give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Never. Do act feel say whatever you like just don't be a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Turn on, tune in, and cop out

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Never. Do act feel say whatever you like just don't be a dick

That's kinna hard to do though, my actions tend to upset others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

For me it was about 30.
    Blew everything I had up to that point.
    Different story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Does cop on only refer to Financial responsibilities or all aspects of life. I'm in my mid 30s and would regard myself as financially responsible but I won't ever stop acting the clown. I enjoy entertaining the kids and taking the pee with friends and family. Life is too short to be serious about everything and offended by anything

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't think one can link mortgage acquisition with maturity in light of our history in regards to property related boom and bust.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think one can link mortgage acquisition with maturity in light of our history in regards to property related boom and bust.

...but we are failing badly at accepting its causes, leading me to believe, its a deep element of immaturity of acceptance

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I suppose if you end up having a child or borrow money you cop on very quick regardless of age. You still need a bit of space in your life to act the egjit aswell. Otherwise life gets very boring and mundane.

I have a friend when we were younger had a head on his shoulders. Wouldn't go out for a night, worked hard, didn't take time off. His the most boring person to be around. I have another fried the total opposite. Just tips along with life, doesn't worry about money, fancy clothes or a car. He has some brilliant stories and I would love his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Turn on, tune in, and cop out

Now you're talking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What's the hurry! Plenty of time to cop on when your dead.

🙈🙉🙊

Pushing a baby out of your vagina at 22 years old cops one on pretty fast. *

Watching that event at 20 certainly had a pretty sobering effect

I was hammered going in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Thoughts?

A dubious thesis. I can only assume you weren't on this forum during the financial crash when it seemed like every second day we would see a new "Hey, I'm giving my keys back to the bank". Many people were apparently unaware that simply emigrating does not make the debt go away.

One also reads regularly of X Y Z celeb brought to court by their bank having paid, in some cases, no repayments whatever in over a decade. Do you actually not follow the media?

It seems to me, based on an admittedly unscientific survey, that if anything having a mortgage in this country could be inversely correlated to a sense of responsibility.

• Advertisement

Watching that event at 20 certainly had a pretty sobering effect

I was hammered going in :)

It sobered up himself also in fairness. Although next day he had to regale me wide-eyed with the moving tale of how he had gone home afterwards and* delivered himself of a turnip-sized article in sympathy -
    *may be more suited to the scatalogical thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

listermint wrote: »
    If you ever start copping on as you put it. You've lost the battle.

People shouldn't ever cop on life is some crack you should leave space for just being an edgit sometimes.

Sometimes is grand, being an eejit though is a full time lifelong occupation for some. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Early 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

25 to 30 when u realise its up to you to save a deposit for a house, you have to think 10 to 20 years ahead, by the way your parents will pass away. If you want kids it's better to have em before you get old. Time is limited.

riclad wrote: »
    25 to 30 when u realise its up to you to save a deposit for a house, you have to think 10 to 20 years ahead, by the way your parents will pass away. If you want kids it's better to have em before you get old. Time is limited.

thankfully life is static, and things never change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Northernlily

You can’t have cop on without a mortgage. It’s a scientific fact (in Ireland at least). The Germans have no cop on, as many of them have no mortgage.

The core Irish life goal seems to be to get a mortgage. Everything builds up to that. Doesn't sit right.

The core Irish life goal seems to be to get a mortgage. Everything builds up to that. Doesn't sit right.

...its more to do with attempting to increase the security of a critical need, i.e. accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...its more to do with attempting to increase the security of a critical need, i.e. accommodation

In another country maybe. In Ireland there is a phenomenal sense of achievement attached to getting mortgage approval/ buying a house. You are pretty much looked down on by others if you don’t own your own home. The banks are well aware of this, hence the AIB add about a middle-aged couple on the last day of their mortgage, as though it were akin to winning an Olympic gold medal. The Irish psyche around property is quite bizarre. In other countries people just buy a place, they don’t feel it gives them any bragging rights that they own a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

One should never act like a teenager. Especially if you are a teenager.

I copped on long before i left my teens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

When you realise that cash=gash the copping on just sort of happens.

Advertisement