Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Sentence for threat to Kill Guard

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

kravmaga wrote: »
    But he wasn't charged with Threats to kill or cause serious harm, section 5 ,Non Fatal Offences Against The Person Act 1997.

He was charged with s. 6 Public Order Act 1994

I think it's more the point that he did indeed threaten to kill a Garda and was only charged with S6 Public Order, instead of the S19 Public Order. So yes, he was only charged and found guilty of S6 but he did threaten to kill also.

As I said above, failure on the state and Garda management, yet again. These things will keep happening until people are actually charged with the correct offence and given prison sentences. Even that won't fix it, but it will at least reduce the number a bit, and maybe make some of them think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,853 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What message does that send the law abiding NON SCUMBAG public ?

That there are people in our society who can avail of a hall pass from our judiciary even if they threaten to murder our Gardai ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Basically, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

As PM mentioned and I also have experience of it.

It's a total failure by the justice system to put any type of manners on these people.

They do it cause they know nothing will happen.

Alright he will get arrested, few hours in a GS, charge sheet, he might even do a bit of moaning at the Garda in the station, might even get food, cuppa tea, smoke and a phone call.

Then it's off to court, name called out, up it goes and it's not even the suspended sentence that gets me. Youd find a judge going over a Garda for a shortcut quicker in a court room rather than a gouger.

It's so wrong, the gouger should be ****ting bricks going up in front of a judge and getting opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

But Irish people say that all the time???????

'' who ate the last Quality Street''

'' I'm going to kill ya !!! ''

• Advertisement

The judiciary ughh man.... gas thing is, I’ve never got so much as a parking ticket but if I drive off without paying for 50 euros worth of diesel tomorrow I’d probably get a fûcking theft conviction and sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strumms wrote: »
    What message does that send the law abiding NON SCUMBAG public ?

That there are people in our society who can avail of a hall pass from our judiciary even if they threaten to murder our Gardai ?

People in Ireland when angry say

'' I'm going to kill ya''

Just a saying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Strumms wrote: »
    The judiciary ughh man.... gas thing is, I’ve never got so much as a parking ticket but if I drive off without paying for 50 euros worth of diesel tomorrow I’d probably get a fûcking theft conviction and sentence

Slight under observation on my part judge, girlfriend was texting me, she was moaning judge. Got distracted though I had paid judge. I can put 50 in poor box judge.

Honestly. That would be bought in court.

Just a saying really.

Of course, but context is important... if I’m in the pub with friends I’m sure that could be uttered in jest, at least semi jest.

In a heightened emotive interaction between a member of the public who is subsequently arrested... different scenario... it’s not then ‘just a saying’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Another graduate of inner city Charm School.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A threat to kill or seriously injure should be its own separate offence with extremely serious penalties, not a mere public order offence. That's the real problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A threat to kill or seriously injure should be its own separate offence with extremely serious penalties, not a mere public order offence. That's the real problem here.

there is a separate offence. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/enacted/en/print#sec5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just a saying really.

Not applicable in this situation. This wasnt a light hearted not meant to be real comment.

Advertisement