Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Sentence for threat to Kill Guard

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

That should be appealed by the state. It’s far, far too lenient.

He was charged with a public order offence. That's what the sentence was for, nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭POBox19

A guilty plea and an apology in court, plus no physical assault, but very unpleasant for the Garda.
    He ended up in court and now it is on the record.
    Probably about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bubblypop wrote: »
    He was charged with a public order offence. That's what the sentence was for, nothing else

the public order offence being "Threatening, abusive or insulting behavior in public place." Sec 6(1). what is the issue with the wording in the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the public order offence being "Threatening, abusive or insulting behavior in public place." Sec 6(1). what is the issue with the wording in the OP?

pleaded guilty to threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour and failing to comply with garda directions.

I got probation act for the same with an additional drunk in a public place
    250euro to the hospice and a "i'm sorry to the court".
    no convictions for me :pac:

judge cant hang him for imaginary charges, despite the urge on boards to see that happen

paw patrol wrote: »
    I got probation act for the same with an additional drunk in a public place
    250euro to the hospice and a "i'm sorry to the court".
    no convictions for me :pac:

judge cant hang him for imaginary chargers, despite the urge on boards to see that happen

what imaginary charges are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

what imaginary charges are you referring to?

the OP implies he was threatening to kill a garda and got suspended sentence for this.

There is a specific "threat to kill" charge on the books he wasn't charged with this - only public order stuff.
    He can't be punished for charges he isn't facing. (that's what I meant)

He got a suspended sentence for public order...seems harsh in a way

sorry if I wasn't clearer earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Could we start a Gofundme for the dirtbird after his ordeal of being arrested!

paw patrol wrote: »
    the OP implies he was threatening to kill a garda and got suspended sentence for this.

There is a specific "threat to kill" charge on the books he wasn't charged with this - only public order stuff.
    He can't be punished for charges he isn't facing. (that's what I meant)

He got a suspended sentence for public order...seems harsh in a way

sorry if I wasn't clearer earlier.

He didnt threaten to kill the guard. The DPP decided not to charge him with the more serious offence. He should consider himself lucky that he got off so lightly. This wasn't just a drunk acting the bollix on a saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lynch had a drug dependency but was tackling this
    Let him go cold turkey a month or two in prison.

biko wrote: »
    Let him go cold turkey a month or two in prison.

I wonder how many times his solicitor has used that mitigation in court?

The OP states that he received a suspended sentence for 'threatening to kill a guard'
    He didnt, he received it for a public order offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“It wasn’t a very pleasant experience for Garda Harmon to be called these names,” Judge said..

I think the throat slitting threat might have been worse no, ya fûckin gombeen ?

The judiciary in this country are such outright useless tossers...depressing, no way should a person who threatens to slit a guards throat be waking the streets with being incarcerated beforehand.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The OP states that he received a suspended sentence for 'threatening to kill a guard'
    He didnt, he received it for a public order offence.

I honestly don't know why you are making this distinction. they did threaten to kill the guard. that was entered in evidence. they were charged with "Threatening, abusive or insulting behavior in public place." because of this. it is the threat they were sentenced for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I wonder how many times his solicitor has used that mitigation in court?

I think his Free Solicitors defence was " Lynch couldnt recall it? "
    If i kill someone and dont recall it does that makes it ok according to this Free Solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

No need to worry, the 300 strikes and you might be out system will take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not just the judges fault here, there's a complete failure on the state and Garda management here. I experienced it myself a few times during my time, you'd want to get rightly messed up by a criminal for them (Garda management/DPP) to go ahead with the very specific legislation covering assaults on members. Section 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 is for assaults on emergency service workers, but more importantly now Section 185 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006, which expands emergency service workers to include firemen (firepeople?) and paramedics, and inserts the 'threat' term. On conviction, minimum 12 months, max 7 years.

But they don't use it. A failure on Garda management and the DPP to protect their members from this crap. And yet again I refuse to accept the "he was on drink/drugs/granny panties" excuses. They decided to take the intoxicant, live with the consequences. Hate that, along with the "tough upbringing" and "dependency" excuses. Boils my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I think his Free Solicitors defence was " Lynch couldnt recall it? "
    If i kill someone and dont recall it does that makes it ok according to this Free Solicitor?

Solicitor doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The way they've worded the article is very confusing (probably deliberate).
    Were his children with him at the time, or was it just some random kids passing by?
    Why did they even have to mention that he has three kids?

• Advertisement

Not just the judges fault here, there's a complete failure on the state and Garda management here. I experienced it myself a few times during my time, you'd want to get rightly messed up by a criminal for them (Garda management/DPP) to go ahead with the very specific legislation covering assaults on members. Section 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 is for assaults on emergency service workers, but more importantly now Section 185 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006, which expands emergency service workers to include firemen (firepeople?) and paramedics, and inserts the 'threat' term. On conviction, minimum 12 months, max 7 years.

But they don't use it. A failure on Garda management and the DPP to protect their members from this crap. And yet again I refuse to accept the "he was on drink/drugs/granny panties" excuses. They decided to take the intoxicant, live with the consequences. Hate that, along with the "tough upbringing" and "dependency" excuses. Boils my piss.

My problem with life in modern Ireland is the outright failure we have to hold others to account for their actions... he wasn’t ‘on’ anything... I slipped ‘on’ a banana peel.... he wasn’t ‘on’... he wanted, sought, procured, paid for and consumed... that takes effort, thought, and actions...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Lynch had a drug dependency but was tackling this, Mr Pattison said. The garda had been a victim of the accused’s addiction on the day."

Ah well, so long as he's tackling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Solicitor doing his job.

It’s clearly a job where you cant have any morals ?
    Take your pieces of silver to tell yarns on behalf of scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Maybe a few days in jail but 2 months suspended seems about right to be honest. Maybe increase it go six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A chain gang with pickaxes and shovels cleaning out dykes and cutting bushes for six months for him and his equals would soften his cough fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yeh that’s it just leave him hangin there, mid-sentence. Where’s yer pals now, nobody to hear ya his own echo chamber.

Bambi wrote: »
    "Lynch had a drug dependency but was tackling this, Mr Pattison said. The garda had been a victim of the accused’s addiction on the day."

Ah well, so long as he's tackling it.

If he ‘had tackled it’... ok, proof.. speaking of which... does the lazy judge not say.. “ ok, how are you actually actively tackling it ? What active treatment, help etc have you sought and from whom and are you actively engaged in it ?.“...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

LuasSimon wrote: »

But he wasn't charged with Threats to kill or cause serious harm, section 5 ,Non Fatal Offences Against The Person Act 1997.

He was charged with s. 6 Public Order Act 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I often wonder how many taxpayers are required to sustain the lifestyle of handouts for that complete and utter scrote and his family over their lifetime.

• Advertisement

I often wonder how many taxpayers are required to sustain the lifestyle of handouts for that complete and utter scrote and his family over their lifetime.

Yep, and if one of us needs rehabilitation from a car crash...brain injury or nerve damage as a result of said accident.. you’ll be told to swing for it....

Choose drugs...all you can eat in terms of help, for as long as you want it..as many times as you need it.... absolute kip.

Advertisement