Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now Ye're Talking - to a retired rugby pro

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 83 Verified rep I'm a Retired Rugby Pro, AMA

That's interesting. How difficult so was it to accept retirement and move out of the group dynamic?
    Hardest thing I've done. I don't think it goes away

Biscuit cake!! :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this Johnny.

Couple of questions: Best player you played with, at any level?

Toughest opponent/who gave you the most problems?

Finally, do players read or pay any heed to social media, online forums, press, etc? How do they deal with online bullying or unfair criticism?

Bonus question: Fancy modding the rugby forum? :D
    No problem!

Conor Murray - different class.
    Jonathan Sexton - you just can't switch off, always on the move.

They definitely read it, the only way to deal with it is try not to see it because they can be pretty harsh!

I'm barely keeping my head above water here, I can't do any emojis besides :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do the IRFU, Munster Rugby utilise players such as yourself and Felix to talk to academy squads about the need to be aware of the risk (likelihood) that not everyone has a successful long term career?

awec wrote: »
    Did you ever have conversations with Joe Schmidt? Does he actually interact with players who were at your stage of development, i.e. just breaking through into the senior team?
    I've said "Hi" to Joe when he was in UL with us. I was injured for the skills sessions that he came down to do in pre season 2016. I'm sure he does have conversations with developing players but I've never spoken to him in terms of my progress or involvement. Unless I'm forgetting something in the blur of the rehab and retirement!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Was CTE ever a worry for you or was it ever discussed amongst your teammates?
    I had to google what CTE is! But it definitely crossed my mind when I was in particularly forgetful form. I had a few concussions so it would make you wonder.

BDJW wrote: »
    What was the hardest hit you ever took? And who gave it?!

What's your opinion on foam rolling?
    Hardest hit was Munster under 18 clubs vs Pres Senior Cup team. Conail Murphy knocked me out. Quality 7

We did a lot of foam rolling as players. I was always on a roller or a ball. I find stretching does more for me but there's definitely benefits to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

When you were progressing through the underage set up the clubs didnt really have the same level of high quality games as they do now. What are your opinions on the Munster Cups, Plate and Bowl competitions at under 16 and 18 and how does the set up now compare to what was in place when you were playing at that level?

Whats your opinion on the residency rule? Also, Whats you stance of the "unwritten rule" that if you play abroad you are ruled out of Int scene e.g. Zebo?
    The residency law never bothered me when CJ qualified for Ireland. It bothered me when Rory was left out because of Bundee Aki. But you can't have it both ways. 3 years is too little. 5 is good.

I don't like the "unwritten rule". If a player can hold his hand up for international duty while playing in France then more power to him, it's a difficult thing to do because players are forgotten about when they go there. We just don't see as much coverage. That's the risk they take, it shouldn't be a certainty.

• Advertisement

When you were progressing through the underage set up the clubs didnt really have the same level of high quality games as they do now. What are your opinions on the Munster Cups, Plate and Bowl competitions at under 16 and 18 and how does the set up now compare to what was in place when you were playing at that level?
    No problem.

I don't know how the set up has changed so I can't really comment on that. But I grew up playing against a Highfield team that had the likes of James Cronin, Paddy Ryan and Kevin O Byrne. We could never get a win. Some games were obviously easier but don't underestimate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I had to google what CTE is! But it definitely crossed my mind when I was in particularly forgetful form. I had a few concussions so it would make you wonder.

Your early retirement may have been a blessing in disguise. :)

Do the IRFU, Munster Rugby utilise players such as yourself and Felix to talk to academy squads about the need to be aware of the risk (likelihood) that not everyone has a successful long term career?
    I spoke to an underage team about what I went through with my injuries, that was driven by Fergul O' Callaghan, Head of Age Grade Performance. Being honest, I thought Munster would have used me more having spent 4 years in the academy and gone through a career like that I felt I had something to offer that wasn't strictly rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Owta Control

Johnny, just wondering, would your body be able to hold up to the rigours of international 7's rugby and is it something you'd be interested in..... far flung exotic locations and all that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Did you play much/any GAA/soccer etc. growing up? If so at what stage did you have to solely focus on rugby

How many meals would you have had to eat a day when a pro (during an average week-day mid-season or whatever) to maintain/gain size and strength?

Any infamously tough pre-season training sessions you had that still make you shudder? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Are there any teams you just didn't like facing, and any grounds you didn't like going to?

If you could change one thing about the Pro14 and champions cup what would it be?

Are there players that you played with before Munster that you thought would make it professionally but didn't ( I don't want names)

Do you want to get into coaching in some way?
    How much time do pros spend with ail teams/underage teams in a coaching capacity? Could should they do more?

How was your relationship with referees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

It’s pretty obvious there are a lot of players using performance enhancing drugs. It’s probably systematic in some clubs.
    Why is it so easy to get away with and why does nobody ever whistleblow?

Johnny, just wondering, would your body be able to hold up to the rigours of international 7's rugby and is it something you'd be interested in..... far flung exotic locations and all that ;)
    Unfortunately not, that would be worse that 15's. Wouldn't mind going as an advisor though! Some of the Instagram pictures are depressing

jr86 wrote: »
    Did you play much/any GAA/soccer etc. growing up? If so at what stage did you have to solely focus on rugby

How many meals would you have had to eat a day when a pro (during an average week-day mid-season or whatever) to maintain/gain size and strength?

Any infamously tough pre-season training sessions you had that still make you shudder? :)
    I probably played soccer mainly until about 14 but stopped when I was about 16. Played football until I went to college, skipped a UCC rugby match for a county final. But that was my last game.

An average pro might eat about 5-6 meals including snacks/shakes. Breakfast, post gym shake/snack, lunch, post training shake with a meal and a dinner, maybe something before bed. As much food as possible for me.

Bryce Cavanagh had a few pre season triumphs. The deck of cards was an all time low!

Connacht was always wet and miserable!

I don't think I'd change the competitions, happy enough with them the way they are. Would you?

Yeah definitely. There are players that make it professionally and you'd be shocked they've been let go. But players peak and fall at different times. Good coaches will see that.

I'm in my second year of coaching with Cork Con.

Players might be asked to help at Munster underage sessions. A few players look to get in to coaching - Keats is with Young Munster and puts a lot of time in for a pro, Billy Holland is doing line out work with Garryowen. But they don't have to be there. They probably could do more but it depends on the person. Do they want to and are they comfortable with their own game at the weekend, would it take away from their own job?

My relationship with referees could get iffy when I was younger - tantrums! Better in my old age :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What was your post match routine ???

were you allowd have a few pints or was it an early night and prepare for the next game ???

• Advertisement

shutup wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious there are a lot of players using performance enhancing drugs. It’s probably systematic in some clubs.
    Why is it so easy to get away with and why does nobody ever whistleblow?
    Probably doesn't equate to fact. In my experience I have never seen it. It has to be out there, in a squad of 50 players the chances are that someone has or is using a PED. If you don't see it can you really do much about it? Some people are genetic freaks. Just because I don't look like a second row doesn't mean I can call him out for being on drugs.

I wouldn't be signing someone that has been banned for drugs - something Munster have done!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What was your post match routine ???

were you allowd have a few pints or was it an early night and prepare for the next game ???
    I was one of the boring ones, a takeaway and recover most of the time. Pints would be encouraged at some stages of the season for team bonding purposes. Players are allowed to manage it themselves for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was one of the boring ones, a takeaway and recover most of the time. Pints would be encouraged at some stages of the season for team bonding purposes. Players are allowed to manage it themselves for the most part.

thanks for the answer

GAA have a very strict no drinking policy compared to Rugby but sometimes having a few pints are good for a player

Is there a speed difference in Interpro rugby and International ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Probably doesn't equate to fact. In my experience I have never seen it. It has to be out there, in a squad of 50 players the chances are that someone has or is using a PED. If you don't see it can you really do much about it? Some people are genetic freaks. Just because I don't look like a second row doesn't mean I can call him out for being on drugs.

I wouldn't be signing someone that has been banned for drugs - something Munster have done!

Well in the AIL division 2 there is a bit of PED's in use that I personally know of, so it definitely is happening

PTH2009 wrote: »
    thanks for the answer

GAA have a very strict no drinking policy compared to Rugby but sometimes having a few pints are good for a player

Is there a speed difference in Interpro rugby and International ???
    No worries.

Yeah there's an argument to be made there. I think the GAA is too strict, mentally it doesn't work.

I'd assume so. There'd be a difference between top of the pro14 and bottom, European cup compared to Pro 14 and European Cup to International.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well in the AIL division 2 there is a bit of PED's in use that I personally know of, so it definitely is happening
    Have you blown your whistle? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Have you blown your whistle? :D

Nice pun, but no. Most examples I see of it is the off season, when lads are hitting the gym like mad things.

Can't answer if they are continuing the use into the season, PED's would normally be cycled anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks for doing this! My brother was head hunted for Ulster trials for underage teams and would have loved to progress. Unfortunately, too many concussions meant random blackouts (he's fine) and along with highly unstablised collarbones, it ended his career too before it really begun. Do you think this happens often? Has there been improvements in player washout rates due to injury, in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi Johnny
    Have you heard of expedition adventure racing and have you any intention of joining Richie McCaw and Stefan Terblanche and doing one of the toughest things you'll ever do?!

http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=6220

You don't have to go to New Zealand. That would be amazing but Ireland has it's own AR in August called The Beast ;)

Another question, I know it's not overly common, but on the occasions when two players really piss each off on the pitch, whereby the either throw a couple of slaps, or have to be kept apart, what is the norm after the match? Do they actively search each other out? Have a laugh about it, and all is forgotten?

Also, I've heard stories of players on the same team throwing slaps during training sessions. Is this a common occurrence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have you seen any players gain quick success with a province or with the national team and turn in to a Prima Donna overnight?

Thanks for doing this! My brother was head hunted for Ulster trials for underage teams and would have loved to progress. Unfortunately, too many concussions meant random blackouts (he's fine) and along with highly unstablised collarbones, it ended his career too before it really begun. Do you think this happens often? Has there been improvements in player washout rates due to injury, in your experience?
    Yeah, there's probably a lot of people that had the brain for it and their body didn't allow it. Or they were unlucky. Teams are getting more organised at a younger age now with S&C and physiotherapists so I would guess that it's better.

Hi Johnny
    Have you heard of expedition adventure racing and have you any intention of joining Richie McCaw and Stefan Terblanche and doing one of the toughest things you'll ever do?!

http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_news.php?article_id=6220

You don't have to go to New Zealand. That would be amazing but Ireland has it's own AR in August called The Beast ;)
    Hi,

I haven't heard of it but I looked it up and it sounds like hell! I don't think my hamstring would let me do something like that, thankfully.

Another question, I know it's not overly common, but on the occasions when two players really piss each off on the pitch, whereby the either throw a couple of slaps, or have to be kept apart, what is the norm after the match? Do they actively search each other out? Have a laugh about it, and all is forgotten?

Also, I've heard stories of players on the same team throwing slaps during training sessions. Is this a common occurrence?
    I'd say most of the time it's left on the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was common but pre season was normally a good time for it, young fellas trying to make a name for themselves when the more established guys wanted to ease in to the season. Hug and a kiss after training was the usual punishment, not sure if the kissing is still a thing!

Have you seen any players gain quick success with a province or with the national team and turn in to a Prima Donna overnight?
    Darren Sweetnam - loves himself!

I'd say most of the time it's left on the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was common but pre season was normally a good time for it, young fellas trying to make a name for themselves when the more established guys wanted to ease in to the season. Hug and a kiss after training was the usual punishment, not sure if the kissing is still a thing!

Thanks again. This brings up another couple of question.
    I've seen on the Lion Tour documentaries, that the players court exists.
    Is this a common thing, and can you give some examples of interesting/memorable/funny penalties.
    What happens if someone doesn't take their punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi,

I haven't heard of it but I looked it up and it sounds like hell! I don't think my hamstring would let me do something like that, thankfully.

Ha depends on your idea of hell!! Aw that's a pity. I could have fixed you up with a good team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What kinds of things do you go through with people when developing a meal plan for them?

What kind of "treats" do you recommend (especially for those who want to eat healthy, but have a sweet tooth)?

What was your go-to pre-match meal?

🤪

Thanks for doing the AMA.

The mods over on the rugby forum specifically requested that I ask this:

Who is better, Sexton or ROG? Feel free to post your reply here or over on on boards rugby!

Best of luck with the nutrition and coaching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Does it bother you when people misspell your name?

Half the people on this thread have put a h in Jonny, and half of the people writing testimonials on your website did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Who is better, Sexton or ROG? Feel free to post your reply here or over on on boards rugby!

Don't mind him Johnny. He's lucky we're not mods on the AMA forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Did you ever play with and against someone you thought was out of their depth? I don't need names.

I wouldn't change the champions cup. But the one thing I'd bring into the pro 14 is TMO facilities at every match as an untelevised match means no TMO. Actually would that effect the way you play knowing there's no TMO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Cheers for doing this and good luck with new venture.

How big a factor do you think the move to one training base was in Munsters improvement?

How are lads who don’t fit in or aren’t great characters whether it be professionally or in their off field attitude handled? Tolerated if they’re good enough to make exception and get rid otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Thanks for giving your time!

This might be tough to quantify, but on an 'average' mid-season week (if there even is an average week), how much time would you have completely free of rugby? Where you could completely switch off and do whatever you wanted, without training or a match or conditioning in the back of your mind. Does it get to a point where everything in your day revolves around preparing for the next match, or do you always have at least some time to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Great AMA, thanks for doing it.

One thing that always really annoys me, why do players not release when their on the ground and give away a penalty rather then being turned over and trusting the defence? Is it just instinct or is it done deliberately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks

What did you make of when Munster signed Grobler, a person who has tested positve for PEDs?
    Even though he has served his ban, how would you feel if he took your place in the team for example?

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What kinds of things do you go through with people when developing a meal plan for them?

What kind of "treats" do you recommend (especially for those who want to eat healthy, but have a sweet tooth)?

What was your go-to pre-match meal?
    I would give you a questionnaire to figure out which foods you like/dislike and which ones you're willing to try. Personal information, exercise habits and timing of meals and exercise etc so I can make them more personal. I give some nutritional guidelines to educate you on why I've done certain things in the meal plans. Food diaries might also be used to look through your habits.

"Treats" can fit into your diet if you're clever about it. It depends on the person and what they like to have but generally if someone can increase their protein and get enough fruit and veg into their diet, then some things can be flexible e.g. lower calories during the week to allow for "treats" on a given day, or maybe sacrificing some carbs/fats in a main meal if you know you're going to be having something sweet. There's loads of ways to do it. Lower calorie foods like shop bought popcorn can be useful.

Pre match meal was generally turkey burger or chicken with potato and a small bit of veg, pancake and a scoop of ice cream :)

I'm going to stick with ROG for now :D When Sexton retires we might revisit it!

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Does it bother you when people misspell your name?

Half the people on this thread have put a h in Jonny, and half of the people writing testimonials on your website did too.
    Haha it does a bit but I just ignore it! I asked Munster to spell it right for my retirement stuff in the media but I was told to keep it the same or people won't understand :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm going to stick with ROG for now :D When Sexton retires we might revisit it!

:eek: :eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement