Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-07-2019, 12:08   #181
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyHepburn View Post
Then you might want to spend a little time on social media. This swings both ways whether you like it or not.
Might I suggest a little less time on social media, Audrey? Talk to some vegans in real life, don't mind the posts from the extremist fools that pop up on your FB feed.
Advertisement
04-07-2019, 12:08   #182
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
If it's farmed which it probably Is, you might want to look into the damage salmon farming does to the oceans. Sorry, lol.
And this exactly the blustering snobbery that I hate - can you not just let people enjoy their food without trying to guilt trip them.

The salmon I eat is not farmed but caught in the wild and sustainably.
Thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:08   #183
taxAHcruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
Your line of reasoning is not applicable because animals bred for consumption,by definition, are not in the same sphere of relevance or importance as the humans that bred them.

They are a food stuff. A product. Nothing more.
Humans are animals.

You said "In my opinion,animals bred exclusively for the food industry don't have choice or free will."

Therefore by your reasoning Humans bred exclusively for the food industry would also not have choice or free will. They would not be in "the same sphere of relevance or importance as the humans that bred them".

I am just not able to make sense of your reasoning here. Take the Wild Pig that is sometimes hunted to eat in the wild - and sometimes bred in captivity. They are both the same species of pig - essentially the same animal. I do not see why one should have any more - or less - rights due to the circumstances of it's breeding.

I am perfectly happy to eat both! I do not need caveats to justify either to myself. I quite enjoy wild pig to be honest. I am just trying to work out how your reasoning on the matter works and if it makes any sense to me. So far it doesn't.
Thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:10   #184
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
And this exactly the blustering snobbery that I hate - can you not just let people enjoy their food without trying to guilt trip them.

The salmon I eat is not farmed but caught in the wild and sustainably.
Sooner or later no, we will have to change what people eat one way or another.
04-07-2019, 12:11   #185
AudreyHepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Might I suggest a little less time on social media, Audrey? Talk to some vegans in real life, don't mind the posts from the extremist fools that pop up on your FB feed.
If they’re like that online why should they be any different in real life? I’ve talked to people of all extremes and it’s the fanatics that are the most visible unfortunately.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-07-2019, 12:18   #186
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
If they’re like that online why should they be any different in real life? I’ve talked to people of all extremes and it’s the fanatics that are the most visible unfortunately.
Do you think people say the same things in everyday life as they do on Boards for example? Same on FB, its full of posers and people being extreme for the sake of it.
04-07-2019, 12:21   #187
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Do you think people say the same things in everyday life as they do on Boards for example? Same on FB, its full of posers and people being extreme for the sake of it.
As I keep saying, we're eating more meat now than ever, across the world, the industry is growing. I don't know why people feel so threatened by a few idiots on facebook. In the Tesco beside my job they sell bits of ready to eat chicken in a bag as if it's crisps. Small snacks for a euro of ham and dip, or chicken tikka and yoghurt. There's more and more meat served in different cheaper more accessible ways. Vegans aren't having much of an impact on the current trends!
Thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:22   #188
Uncharted

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxAHcruel View Post
Humans are animals.

You said "In my opinion,animals bred exclusively for the food industry don't have choice or free will."

Therefore by your reasoning Humans bred exclusively for the food industry would also not have choice or free will. They would not be in "the same sphere of relevance or importance as the humans that bred them".

I am just not able to make sense of your reasoning here. Take the Wild Pig that is sometimes hunted to eat in the wild - and sometimes bred in captivity. They are both the same species of pig - essentially the same animal. I do not see why one should have any more - or less - rights due to the circumstances of it's breeding.

I am perfectly happy to eat both! I do not need caveats to justify either to myself. I quite enjoy wild pig to be honest. I am just trying to work out how your reasoning on the matter works and if it makes any sense to me. So far it doesn't.
You're talking about HUMANS being bred for the food industry ?? Hypothetically or whatever road you wish to travel.

Am I right?
Thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:24   #189
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Vegans aren't having much of an impact on the current trends!
True, T. Give it time. As you well know it has to happen sooner or later.
Advertisement
04-07-2019, 12:41   #190
dodderangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
So if we all went Vegan then surely cows , chickens and Pigs would disappear form the planet ?

So strangely enough the fact we eat them is the only reason they are still here,
Na vegans would keep them in sanctuaries and give them the right to vote aswell. And.soon we’ll be able to marry a chicken if we wanted to. Well vegans want to
Thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:41   #191
dodderangler

Quote:
They’re no different except they shout more
04-07-2019, 12:42   #192
taxAHcruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
You're talking about HUMANS being bred for the food industry ?? Hypothetically or whatever road you wish to travel.

Am I right?
I am using an analogy to humans to try and understand your thinking on the matter.

Your thinking appears to be that two otherwise identical animals have different rights - based on the circumstances and intent of their breeding.

I can not understand that reasoning. So I am trying to. And part of trying to is to ascertain the limits of that reasoning by applying the same reasoning to other situations. Because if I can understand why you think that reasoning applies in some situations - and not others - I might better understand the reasoning.

So if an animal - any animal - has less rights if it is specifically bred for the food industry - or any industry really - then why?? And if this is the case why does it _not_ apply to all animals including humans? Why does a human bred specifically for slavery or food not have less rights than any other human if - as you suggest - other animals would?
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:48   #193
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxAHcruel View Post

So if an animal - any animal - has less rights if it is specifically bred for the food industry - or any industry really - then why?? And if this is the case why does it _not_ apply to all animals including humans? Why does a human bred specifically for slavery or food not have less rights than any other human if - as you suggest - other animals would?
Because he believes in human rights (I hope) but not animal rights. Simple as that. People wont eat dog but will eat pig, it's normal. Some animals are more equal than others.
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2019, 12:49   #194
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodderangler View Post
They’re no different except they shout more
How would you even know? The way you go on it sounds like you never met anyone outside of your local boozer.
04-07-2019, 12:49   #195
Panch18

Quote:
Because he believes in human rights (I hope) but not animal rights. Simple as that. People wont eat dog but will eat pig, it's normal. Some animals are more equal than others.
Plenty of people eat dog - just not common on this side of the world
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion