Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity 10% cheaper with Bord Gais [Merged]

Options
  • 18-02-2009 12:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0218/bordgais.html

I for one will be changing over ! Said it to the boss in work and he has me on the phone now to change over also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Thanks for the reminder, I registered seconds after they launched the website :) Apparently they offer a 10% discount on the esb tariff for year one and 5% for years two and three of your contract, no matter how low the esb price may go. Sounds very nice to me!
    Edit: You can save a further 2% if you sign up for direct debit and you need to pay a deposit of €100/€200 depending on whether you sign up for direct debit or not (but only if are not already a customer I suppose).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Quaderno wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder, I registered seconds after they launched the website :) Apparently they offer a 10% discount on the esb tariff for year one and 5% for years two and three of your contract, no matter how low the esb price may go. Sounds very nice to me!
    Edit: You can save a further 2% if you sign up for direct debit and you need to pay a deposit of €100/€200 depending on whether you sign up for direct debit or not (but only if are not already a customer I suppose).

They are guaranteeing 10% for 3 years according to the rte report.

Do the ESB give you back the deposit that I had to pay them ? I had to pay one when i bought my house in August , although I had already been a customer for 6 years already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They are guaranteeing 10% for 3 years according to the rte report.
    Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs.htm

10% standard discount
    12% if you pay by direct debit
    12% if your a Bord Gais customer
    14% if your a Bord Gais customer & pay by direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Is there a fixed term contract with this deal?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

hellboy99 wrote: »

10% standard discount
    12% if you pay by direct debit
    12% if your a Bord Gais customer
    14% if your a Bord Gais customer & pay by direct debit

Excellent , Im a Bord Gais customer and Pay direct debit already .

Hopefully this is the start of the cheaper cost of living that I have been hearing about but not actually seeing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

muffinhead wrote: »
    Is there a fixed term contract with this deal?
    No - just 28 days notice by customer of cancellation. See section 12:

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/tcs_supply.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭paulie13

Only heard about this today, and if it's not a bargain, I don't know what is!

Check it out here: RTE news story

Switch over here: Bord Gaid Energy

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Nice one, this launch is all over the place today. I've switched, I'll drink the €100 I will have saved :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not that im incharge of the bills at home, but Bord Gais constantly sent out letters, time after time, apologizing for increasing their rates over and over and over. Obviously for Gas not electricity.
    Wonder could we expect the same from them with their electricity service?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

paulie13 wrote: »
    Only heard about this today, and if it's not a bargain, I don't know what is!

Check it out here: RTE news story

Switch over here: Bord Gaid Energy

Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Competition for E.S.B! i'm stunned!

i'm gonna switch, hopefully lots of people will and we can get a nice price war between the two. Doubt it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sounds good. At least we're finally getting a bit of a choice instead of being stuck with ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

This looks like a brilliant deal - I have learnt SO many €€€€saving tips on here and sorry if this is a silly question but ... can anyone see a down side to this? Say if there's a problem with the supply or something .... anyone already connected for the electricity supply?? ... Just seems like a great deal that I'm thinking there must be some catch:rolleyes:
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm with Only - where is the catch? I was just looking at the website and it looks like nothing is changing - the meters will still be read by ESB staff, the lines will still be maintained by ESB staff, so the ESB sell the electricity to Bord Gais for a price which I'm sure includes covering these costs, yet Bord Gais can sell it on for 10% less???? Is there any clauses anywhere that state that repairs will be fixed within the same time frame as currently? Surely with a 10% saving the whole country would be switching - will the ESB then go 'ah feck it, the repairs can wait'!! I seem to remember huge trouble in the UK a couple of years ago after a major storm - all the people who'd changed away from the main provider were without electricity for days after everyone else had been reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Can't see any catch on the supply issue - it's the same network/infrastructure and supply. You just deal with a different provider. Customer charter issues should be covered by the CER rules.

www.cer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Say ESB reduced rates by 10%..will Bord Gais reduce them further again by 5% on top of ESB's 10%?? This seems like a no brainer! (they'll always be cheaper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Do they do phone, internet, TV and broadband yet!!? ?

Still good saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I didn't think two semi-state companies could go against each other in competition - I'm impressed!

Hopefully it will force the ESB to stop living in the bubble they're living in atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Now we just need competition in our natural gas supply, and we might have the start of a fair energy market in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭conor_mc

I think the problem is that ESB can't drop their price of their own accord - it's set where it is by the CER.

Apparently, it's been set high to encourage competition in order to lower prices..... go figure!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

I just caught the end of this being discussed on The Afternoon Show just now and they mention AirTricity too ... going to look into both now ... ESB will be minus a customer by the end of the weekl methinks! Thanks everyone!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was in the car and had Joe Duffy on (the choice on the other stations was even worse). There were people complaining that they wouldn't switch because

a: ESB gave them electricity all these years and the customers should be loyal.
    b: 14% discount wasn't enough.
    c: There must be a catch and they had their tinfoil hats on.

I'm not listening to Joe Duffy anymore :)

I think i'll wait and see what response there is from ESB to this news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

mmmm i wonder what extra charges are going to be added? it only specifies discount to rate. ie .016c per unit

I was in the car and had Joe Duffy on (the choice on the other stations was even worse). There were people complaining that they wouldn't switch because

a: ESB gave them electricity all these years and the customers should be loyal.
    b: 14% discount wasn't enough.
    c: There must be a catch and they had their tinfoil hats on.

I'm not listening to Joe Duffy anymore :)

Its nearly beyond belief , I mean at a time when times are hard for most you should take what you can get ! I presume these same people would not dream of heading up north to get an item cheaper because they want to be loyal !

Its because of the cosy attitude of people like them that Ireland is the way it is ! I have not been hit YET in this downturn but I already have started to change, instead of heading into the local spar /centra/londais to pick up a few items , I will make the extra 10 min walk /5min drive down to the tesco /lidil where i will get far better value for my money . I can tell you now it adds up at the end of the month.

We must learn to adapt to change in this country , we need to be given value for our money and I for one think that this is great value compared to what we were receiving .

We seem to have two threads on same topic,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055491691

Mods can you merge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Does anyone know if this would still apply to people with ESB meters in their homes? The ones where you buy the electricity for your home?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I'm with Only - where is the catch? I was just looking at the website and it looks like nothing is changing - the meters will still be read by ESB staff, the lines will still be maintained by ESB staff, so the ESB sell the electricity to Bord Gais for a price which I'm sure includes covering these costs, yet Bord Gais can sell it on for 10% less????

Basically the ESB has been split into three separate companies:

ESB Networks: owns and maintains the National Electricity distribution and takes meter readings for all operators. The transmission system is operated by independent state company Eirgrid.

ESB Power Generation: operates a portfolio of power stations across the country, along with holdings in wind and other renewables. Wholesale market share is currently below fifty percent.

ESB Customer Supply: sells electricity to customers.

So basically ESB Networks charges a standard rate to ESB Customer Supply, Airtricity and Bord Gais for the maintenance of the ESB network, while these three companies can compete for customers. These companies can charge less by buying electricity from different generators (ESB Power Generation, Airtricitys wind farms, Bord Gais gas powered power stations, Northern Ireland power stations, etc.) and by having more efficient administration (Bord Gais will probably use it's existing call centers and billing systems as an example).

BTW The government should have done this with Eircom when they sold it, splitting into a network company and a customer supply company and kept the networking company while selling off the customer supply company.

They basically learned from their mistakes with Eircom and seem to be handling it better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hopefully it will force the ESB to stop living in the bubble they're living in atm.

What bubble are they living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this would still apply to people with ESB meters in their homes? The ones where you buy the electricity for your home?
    Yes, of course! Afaik, the ESB will still read the meter and carry out any necessary repair/maintenance to the supply lines to your home.

Also, the reduction will be 12% for those who already use gas (14% if you pay by direct debit).

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement