Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity 10% cheaper with Bord Gais [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a quick thought, seeing as the CER also control Bord Gais' gas prices, it would be very easy for the ESB to start selling gas and undercut Bord Gais' prices

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

a quick thought, seeing as the CER also control Bord Gais' gas prices, it would be very easy for the ESB to start selling gas and undercut Bord Gais' prices

...Great idea, then you could buy your electricity from Bord Gais, and your Gas from ESB, and get both at a 10% discount! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just wondering about a scenario whereby one might wish to change tariff AFTER switching to Bord Gais/Airtricity.

I'm currently looking at changing to the Nightsaver tariff (due to underfloor heating which we have been using for a few months now).

So, say I move from the ESB and then want to change to the Nightsaver tariff - who do I contact to get things in motion? Is there potential for being messed around here?

BTW, I have one of those new electronic meters which the ESB have been installing in new homes in recent times. I've been meaning to phone them to find out a bit more info abou them as they made no mention of it at time of installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I've been thinking of switching, I'd love to go with Airtricity, simply on the grounds of sustainability, but that set monthly bill thing, and having to read your own meter doesnt appeal to me. However, in the IRish Times this morning, they say that the Bord Gais electricity is basically the ESB electricity, that the ESB are making it anyway. So my real wonder is, how can they afford to undercut their supplier by 10%?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've been thinking of switching, I'd love to go with Airtricity, simply on the grounds of sustainability, but that set monthly bill thing, and having to read your own meter

What's the set monthly bill thing and what do you mean you have to read your own meter? How often do you have to read your own meter with airtricity? Is it still not ran by ESB the way the bord gais thingy is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

cormie wrote: »
    What's the set monthly bill thing and what do you mean you have to read your own meter? How often do you have to read your own meter with airtricity? Is it still not ran by ESB the way the bord gais thingy is?
    From the Airtricity site:
    "Airtricity Level Payment Plan evens out your monthly payments. You’ll still pay for the amount of energy you use, but you’ll do so in a way that’s more manageable."

As far as I can gather, they look at your last years usage, and then take that amount and divide it was 12 and thats what you pay per month. To take into account that you might change your usage, it'll be reviewed reguarly - ESB read your meter 4 times a year, and you can submit monthly readings yourself to ensure you are actually getting charged for what you use...

Check out here:
    http://www.airtricity.com/ireland/for_your_home/frequently_asked_question/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭itisyeah

http://www.examiner.ie/Ireland/ideysnmhsn/rss2/
    Friday, February 20, 2009

Vow to cut ESB prices after power switch
    By Ann Cahill and Evelyn Ring

ENERGY Minister Eamon Ryan has renewed his pledge to reduce ESB prices following news that 7,500 households have switched to new provider Bord Gáis — the country’s first dual-energy supplier.

With pressure from new market competition mounting, the Government and Energy Regulator are expected to cut ESB prices in an effort to boost competitiveness and cut costs for business.

Speaking in Brussels yesterday, the minister said it was imperative to protect jobs and the Government was looking at a double-digit cut in the price of electricity. The Energy Regulator has already said it intends to make a statement shortly, and it is widely expected to bring forward a review of the ESB’s prices, which was due next October.

It is expected to take into account the fall in gas and oil prices, and the fact that two companies now launching on the Irish market, Airtricity and Bord Gáis, are offering competition to the ESB.

Under the existing system the ESB, having had a near monopoly, is not allowed to discount the price the regulator sets for electricity while other companies are free to set their own rates in an effort to encourage competition to enter the market. Mr Ryan could not say, however, if there would be changes to the current system where the regulator sets the price for electricity from the ESB. New Bord Gáis electricity customers can save between 10% and 14%. The offer is open to residents throughout Ireland.

Bord Gáis communications manager Elaine Hattie said the ESB would still be responsible for dealing with supply problems encountered by their electricity customers, but that service would be free of charge. Ms Hattie said Bord Gáis electricity customers would not have to get their electricity meter changed or have new electricity lines coming into their home. "It is the supplier, not the network that will have changed," she said.

Once a new customer signs up with Bord Gáis, the company contacts the ESB with all the details. The customer will receive a final bill from the ESB and only one Bord Gáis bill for their electricity usage thereafter. Asked if Bord Gáis would have enough electricity available to meet demand, the spokesperson said they would be purchasing supplies for use between now and 2010.

Next year, Bord Gáis will get most of its supply from a new gas-powered plant in Whitegate, Co Cork, and claims it will be the most efficient station in the country.

adserv|3.0|257|1067124|0|170|ADTECH;loc=300;key=key1+key2+key3+key4;grp=2003
    Click here for irishexaminer.com stories before this date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

From the Airtricity site:
    "Airtricity Level Payment Plan evens out your monthly payments. You’ll still pay for the amount of energy you use, but you’ll do so in a way that’s more manageable."

As far as I can gather, they look at your last years usage, and then take that amount and divide it was 12 and thats what you pay per month. To take into account that you might change your usage, it'll be reviewed reguarly - ESB read your meter 4 times a year, and you can submit monthly readings yourself to ensure you are actually getting charged for what you use...

Check out here:
    http://www.airtricity.com/ireland/for_your_home/frequently_asked_question/

You dont need to go with the level plan though do you? You could just set up a direct debit, granted it means a saving of 9 and not 10% if you go with the level plan.

Its not easy being green, but checking the meter every few months inst really that much of a chore is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jprboy wrote: »
    Just wondering about a scenario whereby one might wish to change tariff AFTER switching to Bord Gais/Airtricity.

I'm currently looking at changing to the Nightsaver tariff (due to underfloor heating which we have been using for a few months now).

So, say I move from the ESB and then want to change to the Nightsaver tariff - who do I contact to get things in motion? Is there potential for being messed around here?

BTW, I have one of those new electronic meters which the ESB have been installing in new homes in recent times. I've been meaning to phone them to find out a bit more info abou them as they made no mention of it at time of installation.

You contact your supplier (airtricity, bord gais or esb customer supply), who in turn will contact ESB Networks to change your meter.

Depending what meter you have they may not have to change the meter. I think some of the new meters can be setup for either single or dual.

I would recommend changing the meter before moving from ESB CS, as they will do it without charge, their is possibly a charge from the other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fuzzball

conor_mc wrote: »
    I think the problem is that ESB can't drop their price of their own accord - it's set where it is by the CER.

Apparently, it's been set high to encourage competition in order to lower prices..... go figure!!!!! :rolleyes:

yeah a couple of years ago we had the cheapest esb in europe. the regulator has driven up prices over the last few years to make it more attractive for competitors to come in..ESB was too cheap to compete with.

seems like the consumer has taken a hiding to promote Competition.
    TBH ...the price being offerred now is higher than was being charged by the esb a few years ago.

not clear on how the consumer has benefitted here. Maybe it's a long term objective

That said, ignoring this illogical progression, I will take the Bord gais offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Is the 10 - 14% saving on the overall bill or does the discount just apply to units used?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Just energy consumed. Standing charge is still the same no matter who you are with and thus is paid direct to ESB
    W

• Registered Users Posts: 36 strombone

This quote is from the Irish Examiner article above:

"Asked if Bord Gáis would have enough electricity available to meet demand, the spokesperson said they would be purchasing supplies for use between now and 2010."

I'm interested in the discount but I'm prepared to pay a premium for continuity of supply. Is there anyone out there who can give informed comment about the capacity of Bord Gáis to meet demand in the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

strombone wrote: »
    This quote is from the Irish Examiner article above:

"Asked if Bord Gáis would have enough electricity available to meet demand, the spokesperson said they would be purchasing supplies for use between now and 2010."

I'm interested in the discount but I'm prepared to pay a premium for continuity of supply. Is there anyone out there who can give informed comment about the capacity of Bord Gáis to meet demand in the next few years?
    it all comes in on the same network. they buy it off esb, then they'll start suppling to the grid through a gas generating plant which will be apparently one of the most efficient in the country. no fears here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

zuroph wrote: »
    it all comes in on the same network. they buy it off esb, then they'll start suppling to the grid through a gas generating plant which will be apparently one of the most efficient in the country. no fears here.

Just because its most efficient doesn't mean its big enough to supply demand. Its only 445MW they are building. The system uses above 4000MW at its peak during the day. Its also going to be the most efficient because its brand new ;) Dont think it will be up and running for a few months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'm not switching for the simple reason that they only accept bi-monthly payments - at least ESB let you pay monthly by DD don't see why they can't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

davton wrote: »
    Just because its most efficient doesn't mean its big enough to supply demand.

That is irrelevant, the electricity is shared equally, it is technically impossible for Board Gais customers supply to be effected, while an ESB customers supply isn't effected. After all it is all the same electrons on the same distribution network.

Basically the ESB has been divided into three separate companies:

ESB Supply, who own most of the current power stations (they are being forced to sell some off).

ESB Network, who own the distribution network (i.e. power lines).

ESB Customer, who sells electricity to residential customers.

Both Board Gais, ESB Customer and Airtricity buy their electricity from ESB Supply and other companies and it is distributed to all via ESB Networks. Bord Gais and ESB Customer are both treated exactly the same and are charged the same by ESB Supply.

Of course if Board Gais can build their own power stations and generate enough power to cover their own customers for cheaper then buying it from ESB Supply, then they will benefit from it from higher profits or pass on cheaper prices to their customers.

But they don't have to build their own power stations, they could just continue to buy it from ESB Supply or from Viridian in Northern Ireland, or over the Interconnector with Scotland and the UK.

Hopefully this will help clarify the situation for people and put to rest any fears about security of supply.

Do Airtricity not generate their own with their wind farms?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

eamon234 wrote: »
    I'm not switching for the simple reason that they only accept bi-monthly payments - at least ESB let you pay monthly by DD don't see why they can't.
    Penny wise, pound foolish?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

esel wrote: »
    Penny wise, pound foolish?

+1 It was that attitude that contributed to the lack of competition and higher prices in Ireland as people couldnt be bothered to shop around or go a little out of their way to make a saving

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I had somebody arguing with me yesterday about the discounts. Their argument was that the 10% is only for the first year and then for years 2 and 3 it's 5%. They couldn't understand that even paying 95% in years 2 and 3 with Bord Gais was still better than paying 100% in years 1 and 2 and 3 with ESB. I'm not a big electricty user but based on my last years usage I'll save just over €250 over the next 3 years. It won't make me rich but it was 10 mins of my time to switch over. If I got €250 every time I did 10 mins work I'd be a banker rich man.

I wonder what they'll do in years 4 etc. We might have to try Airtricity then.

That's what I was wondering about Airtricity, will BG be 12% first year (if you're not a bg customer already), then 5% year 2 and 3, but Airtricity is 10% EACH year meaning it would work out better?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do Airtricity not generate their own with their wind farms?

Airtricity do generate energy via wind. However that electricity is added to the same network as everyone else, so a ESB or Board Gais customer is as likely to receive Airtricity's wind power as an Airtricity customer.

However if you were to sign up to Airtricity, it may encourage them to build more wind power, but not guaranteed.

That's what I was wondering about Airtricity, will BG be 12% first year (if you're not a bg customer already), then 5% year 2 and 3, but Airtricity is 10% EACH year meaning it would work out better?

Given how easy it is to switch, I'm going to use BG for the first year and then switch to whoever is cheapest after that.

One thing to remember, BG haven't said that it will drop to 5%, only that it won't drop to less then 5%. That could mean they would leave it up at 10 to 14% if they thought people might leave.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm not with BG as it stands, so the max I can save is 12% compared to 10% with airtricity, my bill wouldn't be the biggest and I would be prepared to sacrifice that 2% to support renewable energy I think. Also means I wouldn't have to pay the deposit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just signed up there now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

madmoe wrote: »
    Just signed up there now.....

me too as it happens. quick and easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If you're on the household benefits package...how does that effect things?, in terms of switching over...do you have to reapply to get the package again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

"I currently get the Electricity Allowance towards my bill. Will I still get this?:

Yes, you will still receive this, but it will no longer be paid directly towards your bill. Instead it will come to you in the form of a monetary payment which you should use towards your electricity bill. The Department of Family and Social Affairs will contact you directly about the payment arrangements of the allowance."

Crap!, makes things complicated...probably do have to apply all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Signed up online Friday night but could only get access to a meter reading yesterday, rang up to be told that they couldn't take it from me cause I have to wait for a validation call at some stage. Understandably theres a backlog at the moment but can anyone else who signed up before or on Friday let me know if they got their validation callback yet. I didn't even get a confirmation email which is a bit lazy from an automated service :D

Advertisement