Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive Now €46.90

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The WD Live Hub isn't Portable.. is it?

I think he means something like this,

http://www.expansys.ie/seagate-freeagent-goflex-portable-1tb-hard-drive-black-201892/
    Extend your content beyond the PC
    The GoFlex ultra-portable drive is the heart of the GoFlex Storage System, and by combining it with other GoFlex Storage System products you can enjoy your content on your TV, access files from any PC or Mac computer on your network, from a mobile device or via the Internet while on the go.

Doesn't plug directly into TV i don't think, but yeah, there are portable media players up to 1.5TB AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

That's still just a hard drive, it doesn't have a media player built in...
    The GoFlex ultra-portable drive is the heart of the GoFlex Storage System, and by combining it with other GoFlex Storage System products you can enjoy your content on your TV, access files from any PC or Mac computer on your network, from a mobile device or via the Internet while on the go.
    If you want portability, have a look at this (or this if you don't need support for .mkv and other HD formats). It'll also read SD cards, USB pen drives, etc., so very flexible — and cheap. :D But you'll still need a power source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

dnme wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what disk is actually inside the enclosure? Is it a sata 3.5?

3.5 SATA yeah, well thats what the last WD was when I dissected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

JG009 wrote: »
    3.5 SATA yeah, well thats what the last WD was when I dissected it.

Cool thanks, will pick up a couple and rip em out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Why? You can get 1tb drives for less on ebay. If you open up an Ext HD you have no warranty. If you buy them as internal you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭exspes

i bought one for 60 euro last sale, very good hard drive, quite fast, quiet, doesnt make tons of noise, i've had it about a year now so it's not a 2 week review job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

JG009 wrote: »
    Why? You can get 1tb drives for less on ebay. If you open up an Ext HD you have no warranty. If you buy them as internal you do.

Can you? must have a butchers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

peckerhead wrote: »
    That's still just a hard drive, it doesn't have a media player built in...

If you want portability, have a look at this (or this if you don't need support for .mkv and other HD formats). It'll also read SD cards, USB pen drives, etc., so very flexible — and cheap. :D But you'll still need a power source.

Had a google around , but can't find required cable to connect this to a scart input (obviously HDMI to scart cable/connector :) but can't find one !!), would an old x-box/wii to scart cable do the job ?

Great price for WD 1tb elements btw, cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Mr Woods wrote: »
    ...would an old x-box/wii to scart cable do the job ?
    One of these would do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Thanks peckerhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 gillbill5

Thanks Peckerhead. Certainly more portable than anything I've seen out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

bought the same one in pc world around october and put about 100gb of stuff on it, but now it just wont work and i cant retrieve my data, freezes the screen until you plug out the usb connection.. cant even reformat it..
    must take it back, although i aint got my receipt..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Lads, any idea how to format this so that I can view the files on my PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

blue-army wrote: »
    Lads, any idea how to format this so that I can view the files on my PS3?
    The PS3 only works with external hard drives that are formatted to FAT32.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Plug it into your computer and make sure to copy anything you want off it as formatting erases everything. Then when your ready go to my computer and on your hard drive right click and choose format and then choose fat32. Downside to this is that you wont be able to put files over 4GB on it after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

thomasjad wrote: »
    Plug it into your computer and make sure to copy anything you want off it as formatting erases everything. Then when your ready go to my computer and on your hard drive right click and choose format and then choose fat32. Downside to this is that you wont be able to put files over 4GB on it after.

Use Disk Managenement (Windows HElp -> Disk Management) to parition the drive first. Create 2 partitions and use one for PS3. FAT32 has a format limit of 32GB. Note that your PS3 uses UFS which has no format limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I got one of these. The part that converts the HD Sata port to USB failed on it after around 6 months. The HD was ok though. Ended up throwing out the enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

i got the older model of that, filled it up with all my stuff, it all got deleted, sent it back, got a replacement of that model, and it broke as well
    will not chance that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

bought the same one in pc world around october and put about 100gb of stuff on it, but now it just wont work and i cant retrieve my data, freezes the screen until you plug out the usb connection.. cant even reformat it..
    must take it back, although i aint got my receipt..

I bought one (2TB) last Friday. Transferred our photos, music, and personal files onto it. Crashed within 3 minutes of finishing. NOTHING will restore it. Won't take it back, as I don't want our personal data viewed by someone else. A piece of junk.

I already have two internal WD 1TB drives and they're fine (8 months old). But Google the reviews for them. They're terrible. pity I didn't do so first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

my 640GB WD is just over 2 years old now (bought it for Xmas 2008) and it works and looks like new (well, it's a bit dusted)

the two internat 500GB Samsungs however failed in the meantime, switched them to 3x640 WDs in Raid0 and they're working in that config just over a year now without any problems

so in the end it's not the brand that's terrible, more likely you're dealing with a faulty series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Can anyone recommend a 2tb hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

dnme wrote: »
    Does anyone know what disk is actually inside? Is it a standard 3.5" sata?

I would be interested in the model number as well please if anyone can supply it.

Advertisement