Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash My Frankenstein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

FMF will be playing tomorrow (Tuesday the 3rd) in The Sugar Club, with thanks to Hoop Music.

Tickets are €5 and can be bought at the door or else through us. Just drop us a PM!

Doors open at 8 and FMF should be on around 8.30. We promise to get y'all dancing and work off some of those holiday pounds. Hope to see ye there! :)

FMF are playing in the NCAD Music Society tonight (Thursday, Jan 5th) between 7 and 9. Unfortunately, it's only open to NCAD students, but if you are one or know anyone who goes there, please spread the word!

Keep it veal.

Greetings from rainy Copenhagen airport! :)

Flash My Frankenstein are playing The Sugar Club this Saturday the 18th in association with Hoop Music.

Tickets are €8 and can be obtained from us ourselves or can be bought at the door. Doors open at 8pm and you'd best be there around 8.30 to see FMF, because we're on second. If you are buying tickets at the door on the night, please tell them you're there to see Flash My Frankenstein because it reflects well on us if it's known we bring lots of people!

We promise to rock out hard and rock out nasty. You'll be kicking the dirty funk off your boots for days.

Hope to see y'all there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

deathfunk wrote:
    Greetings from rainy Copenhagen airport! :)

Flash My Frankenstein are playing The Sugar Club this Saturday the 18th in association with Hoop Music.

Tickets are €8 and can be obtained from us ourselves or can be bought at the door. Doors open at 8pm and you'd best be there around 8.30 to see FMF, because we're on second. If you are buying tickets at the door on the night, please tell them you're there to see Flash My Frankenstein because it reflects well on us if it's known we bring lots of people!

We promise to rock out hard and rock out nasty. You'll be kicking the dirty funk off your boots for days.

Hope to see y'all there!

is this on saturday the 18th - next month? I'll try to reef the lads in for this.

That's this Saturday Dave, as in 2 days. It'd be great if you lads could come along! I texted Ciaran about it today...

• Advertisement

this Saturday is the 14th, silly, silly man. I'll try and be there

Fool you once, more fool you. Fool myself in front of me, double my own foolishness and idiot brick to the head...

Good work, Seán.

Yes, so as Gracehopper pointed out, SATURDAY IS THE 14TH!!! THAT'S THIS SATURDAY! THIS WEEKEND! US! SUGAR CLUB! COME SEE! WE'LL MAKE YOU BREAK YOUR NECKS FROM ALL THE HEADBOBBING!

In a good way, of course...

FMF play a charity fundraiser in aid of a St. Kevin's Media Students publication in Eamon Doran's on Wednesday the 18th.

€5 in / Doors @ 7.30.

FMF onstage @ 9.

Rawwwwwk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hey Sean,

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the gig in Dorans last night. The band are tighter than the last time I heard, you're singing great yourself too! I really did enjoy all the tunes this time, there's some very catchy stuff in there - toe-tappingly good all round.

My major gripe last night was that the FOH sound was diabolical. Seriously, last night's front of house mix was so bad it was bordering on being illegal. The last time I was in Dorans I vowed never to go back because of this, but last night was the last straw - I'll never, ever set foot in the kip again.

Still though, the gig was enjoyable because the band has quality. Looking forward to hearing you soon in a real music venue. Keep us posted!

Robbie

Hey Robbie,

Cheers for the message, it really means a lot to us. Strangely enough, we feel exactly the same as you! We were very unhappy with the sound on stage (and we heard that off stage wasn't great either). All I could hear was trumpet in monitor. Literally, nothing else! No guitar, no vocals, nothing!

Although Ken, the engineer, is a very nice guy and honestly has done do a great job for us before, we were at the venue since 18.30 and only got our sound check at 20:50, 10 minutes before we were on. So, it's impossible to get a decent sound in such a short mix.

By and large, we've been let down by Doran's too and after last night, it will take something very significant to get us back there.

Pity you didn't see the Sugar Club gig last week. The sound in there is fantastic and overall, it's a great venue. There's a good chance we'll be playing there again in February, possibly even headlining.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the post. Will definitely keep you posted about the gigs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

deathfunk wrote:
    All I could hear was trumpet in monitor. Literally, nothing else! No guitar, no vocals, nothing!
    Funny you should say that, cos that's all that could be heard out front until after the 2nd or 3rd song when you asked him to turn it down onstage. After that it was fine, it was turned down to the same volume as the rest of the noise the engineer was creating.

The drums were strange, in that the bass drum and snare actually sounded ok, probably sounded better than anything else onstage. But each time the drummer hit a tom, it sounded like it was clipping somewhere in the desk, producing an ear-splitting crack that ruined the whole sound. It was like the input gain on the gates for the drums were turned up too much, and the engineer didn't cop it. Disgraceful really.

The only way I could hear the bass guitar was by moving up closer to his amp, cos there was no definition coming from the bass out front, only a big muffled mess of low frequencies. At times it was so bad that it was hard to know if the bass was even in key or not. Individual notes were totally lost.

Your own vocal was very good until the 3rd or 4th song, when it was inexplicably turned down so low that I couldn't hear the words in the songs without straining, which is a shame cos your pronounciation as you sing is always very clear. Guitar was again lovely at first, but got way too loud in the mix towards the end, clouding everything else.

The mix just lacked any kind of instrument seperation, dynamics or life as we know it.

Sorry for ranting so much, but it really did p_ss me off last night. I don't know if it was a bad engineer, a bad sound system, or a combination of both, but I do know that what came from the speakers last night did not do the band any justice in the slightest. I didn't hang around for the other bands, couldn't wait to get out of the place in fact, did it get any better later on?

Flash My Frankenstein headline The Sugar Club this Friday (February 3rd) as part of DBK Promotions' "Unhinged Variety Show".

Not only will there be acoustic sets from Emma Cunningham, Burma Shade and Brew but the crowd shall also be wowed and entertain by table magician Con Sordini and mime artist Thomas Christian.

So, that's:

The Sugar Club
    Friday Feb 3rd
    Doors @ 7.30
    Admission is €12 (or €10 with this flyer / student ID!)

Hope to see y'all there!

FMF play 'Audio Episodes' in Eamonn Doran's this Wednesday, the 22nd of February.

Admission is €7
    Doors open at 8

What's this? Slipped onto page 2?!? Ah, we can't be having that now lads...

FMF will be playing in The Sugar Club on Friday the 7th of April and will be headlining Slattery's on Capel St. on the Saturday the 29th of April.

We're also hoping to put on another headline show in the middle of April, so keep your faces peeled.

The next gig (Sugar Club) could really do with a lot of support, so please make it a date if you're available! We'll be so goddamn raw, it'll be mostly bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 franklern

Man you really need to get inspired, those lyrics are bloody insulting to my ears mate.

Cheers for the constructive criticism, franklern. Your bouquet is in the post.

Pity the lyrics don't appeal to you. If you didn't realise, there's this other stuff hitting your ears in the background. It's called "music". Now, we might actually take your suggestion on board if you'd something positive to say about this "music" I speak of...

But obviously lyrics are the only thing that do it for you. And while we appreciate they're important, we can't compete with spoken word or anti-establishmentism or epic soliliquays about goat-spotting or whatever it is your fond of.

But then again, we wouldn't know what your fetish is cos all you had to say was "bloody insulting to my ears mate".

Howdy Sean,

I had a look at the website, its v nice.
    Is there anywhere i can download your MP3's? cos i cant listen in work. It's an open plan office

cheers
    David(Gracehopper)

Hey Dave. Cheers about the site. We're actually in the process of re-designing the whole thing, but that'll do for the moment :)

Did you find the MP3's on the Music section of the site? You should be able to just 'Right Click -> Save As...' to download them. If that doesn't work, drop us a mail at flashmyfrankenstein@gmail.com and we'll send them to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gorbachov

Howdy Boys!Long time no see! We supported ye at the Ncad ball way back in October was it? I cant even remember but I think it was.
    Heres a pic of that very night
    bren16mcresize.jpg

Anyhow nice to meet ye here.Have a look at our site if your bored www.myspace.com/gorbachov

If ye are lookin for gigs in Waterford give me a shout?

Talk to ya soon
    Heno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 franklern

"Let's go out for something to eat so I can see if I like your teeth"???

Do you actually have a ex-girlfriend doing time? Probably not.

And what's with the say what in the middle????

This is constructive criticism by the way, I'm all for new Irish music, especially bands as big as yours, it's admirable. However...

You're very talented blokes who make good music and probably work well together, keep on keepin on and that, you will be very good in time. But what you're trying to say in your lyrics need a lot of work, to be honest they're atrocious, anybody could be spouting that ****, it means nothing.

All the best.

• Advertisement

Franklern, this time I genuinely do mean thanks for the constructive critcism. We're all for people having their own opinion on what we do and of course it's not going to appeal to everyone. Hope you understand that you're first post just seemed like a dig and nothing else, y'know? Anyway, thanks for taking the time to listen to the tunes. The only way we'll get better is through people telling us what they like and don't like!

Heno, glad to hear you fellas are still alive :) Will definitely give you a shout if we're in the Waterford area. It'd be nice to get out of Dublin and on the road. Make sure you get your asses up here for another gig soon, alright? Take it easy!

After a month's band holiday, Flash My Frankenstein are back in the freshly-built rehearsal room at FMF HQ.

We shall be playing The Sugar Club on Friday the 7th of April. We may also be playing in NCAD this Wednesday, but this is to be confirmed.

Be good!

FMF play NCAD tomorrow night!

Students only, so if you be one of 'em, then we hope to see you there! If you be not one, then we can't stress enough how much you shouldn't try and sneak in to see us for free. Even if it IS very easy to do... ;)

Hi sean,
    I had a listen to your tracks over the weekend. There really cool. There's definitely a Zappa influence there that i didnt notice in the live show. Maybe i was too busy dancing. MAN, MY FEET!!!!! I JUST FEEL LIKE DANCING!!

EDIT: Any chance of getting us on the bill on a friday in the sugar club in the coming months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Writie

deathfunk wrote:
    Alrighty, who wants some unmastered MP3's from our demo? Huh? HUH?!?

Moonshine & The Mountain Folk
    Sarsaparilla
    The Setup

Recorded in Guinea Pig studios, Malahide.
    Engineered by Mark Reidy & Keith Lawless

We'll be heading back into studio to master these tunes in November, so I'll replace them then. As usual, feedback (good and bad!) is much appreciated!
    Just some nitpicking to improve things. I think the sung melody is a bit wobbly on both the intros of Moonshine and Sarsapilla. It sounds a bit like singer is improvising loosely over the music, and therefore taking a backseat when he should be leading.

I'd clean that up a bit on subsequent demos and you should have a pretty good few tracks to present.

Do you remember Joe Bowie's Defunkt? There's a lot to be learnt from them, particularly in the overall mix of horns and other (Jesus, I nearly said "real") instruments.

Michael
    http://www.a-lyric.com/

Cheers Michael, thanks for taking the time to listen to (Jesus, I nearly said "critique") the tunes!

We'll be doing some more recordings over the next 2 months, and we'll take into account what you said. The first demo was exactly that, "our first demo". So we went very straight forward with the sound. We'll be looking to get something a bit more dynamic and less "shiny" with the next one.

The singer is me, by the way, so thanks for the tips. We can just keep it between you and me, so. And the Internet :) Do you mean they should be a bit more rhythmical, or do you mean they need a bit more "attack", as it were?

Thanks again!

After a month and a half cooked up in the rehearsal room, FMF are back with a slew of new material and gigs to match.

The next show is on this Thursday the 15th of June in Pravda, Liffey St. It's part of the 'La Republique', which showcases "2 live acts, 4 DJ's, short films from rising Irish talent and visual art exhibitions". FMF should be on for the bones of an hour and the whole night is FREE in. So get yourselves down there and scream!

A full list of upcoming gigs along with some newly uploaded photos are available at: http://www.flashmyfrankenstein.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Heh Sean, Darren from La République here. Hope you enjoyed the gig in Pravda. You really got the place going. Thanks for coming down and good luck in the future.

Cheers for that Darren. Had a good night ourselves; would be keen to play again if you're interested. But by God was it hot in there! :)

Next FMF gig is this Saturday, the 24th of June in Slattery's of Capel St. Part of Hoop Music's "Audio Episodes" night. Doors open at 20:00 and it's €8 in. Hope to see some of ye there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

deathfunk wrote:
    would be keen to play again if you're interested.

Cant really say no to an offer like that :) Will stay in contact with ya and any time you have some new material let me know.

Advertisement