Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Showers and potential Accumulations - Ulster (Northern especially)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Heavy snowfalls now here. No wind.

Sligo/Mayo/Roscommon border, 130m amsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It's much colder tonight - frost underfoot and beautiful.

South Sligo near the Roscommon Border
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Snow shower east of Castlebar now. Starting to stick also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like plenty of potential tonight, no shortage of precipitation from showers in N and NW counties and then the outer edges of the occluded front look to pass down over the Eastern side of the country into tomorrow ,will be interesting to see if that produces snow and even in the SW looks like we could clip a trough and end up with some high terrain snow by morning. Lots of interest all over the island.

EURO 4 looks very active tonight/ early morning

temp_uk_sdt3.png

Yxcunve.gif

anim_aaa4.gif

anim_byx4.gif

anim_hkq1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowing now and sticking readily! Ideal setup with the freeze beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looks like plenty of potential tonight, no shortage of precipitation from showers in N and NW counties and then the outer edges of the occluded front look to pass down over the Eastern side of the country into tomorrow ,will be interesting to see if that produces snow and even in the SW looks like we could clip a trough and end up with some high terrain snow by morning. Lots of interest all over the island.

EURO 4 looks very active tonight/ early morning

temp_uk_sdt3.png

Yxcunve.gif

anim_aaa4.gif

anim_byx4.gif

anim_hkq1.gif

What happened to the warm area? Last night when I looked we had -2c 850hPa coming in over Northern Ireland and freezing levels rising to 800 metres. Has that gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Great pictures. Just had a light rain shower. The clouds look a bit snowy further to the north, so maybe i'll get lucky later.

Thought the same thing myself late this afternoon as I could see the cloud tops of showers approaching the
    North Mayo coast. They had that wintry look about them. Sure enough we have already seen some flakes this eve which is promising. A few more showers due overnight also. A bit of radar watching ahead tonight I think!

537690.jpg

Yes. I am not going crazy. The warm sector has been delayed but does come in about 6am.

Rising as high as 1300 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Owen, incoming! Moderate snow shower now at Derry Eglington
    METAR EGAE 302050Z 32013KT 6000 SHSN FEW009 BKN013 02/01 Q1006=

Next possible event is Saturdays though the freezing level is 500 metres. Think I’ve learn’t my lesson on that and will have a mental note looking for 200 metre-300 metre freezing level to ensure snow to sea level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Snow sticking outside Ballina, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Owen, incoming! Moderate snow shower now at Derry Eglington

More so wet snow, about 100m ASL it is snowing. Few more showers like that and we'll have a nice covering the morning.

More so wet snow, about 100m ASL it is snowing. Few more showers like that and we'll have a nice covering the morning.

Back to sleet, despite a drop in temperature from 2 to 1.
    METAR EGAE 302120Z 33007KT 9000 -SHRASN FEW009 BKN015 01/01 Q1006=

A little dusting here and it's freezing

South Sligo
    90m asl

Temp down to 1c which might turn the next shower to snow. But I am not waiting on it.

Snowing again, could be a nice dusting by morning if this keeps up!!. However I fear if precipitation increases a dreaded warm sector might crop up to spoil everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice crisp frost out there glistening in the bright moonlight.

Light snow now at Belfast Aldergrove after recent freezing rain

METAR COR EGAA 302150Z 31004KT 260V340 5000 -SN BKN003 BKN005 OVC007 00/M00 Q1005 REFZRA=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

The gleniff horseshoe today.
    Took many more but cant attach many images on boards like facebook or watts app

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Quite an impressive frost out there now, conditions are treacherous, roads are like skating rinks.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Quite an impressive frost out there now, conditions are treacherous, roads are like skating rinks.

I turned the outside light on in the yard it's like a sheet of glass, if it snows more there won't be any difficulty sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭lolie

Could be worse tomorrow night if it freezes after whatever precipitation falls beforehand.

Its like daytime out there now with the white frost and the full moon, might take the dog for a stroll.

Such a different situation here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Such a different situation here

Where's that,?

Snowing now. Heavy shower.

S Sligo
    90 M asl

Where's that,?

I live just east of Limavady area. We have had constant icy rain showers since about 5.

So the temperature has not had a chance to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sharp frost here in West Clare tonight, looks like it may clear by morning but at -1.2°c temperatures well below what Met Eireann forecasted for now. (forecast 3°c at 1am).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

Clear, crisp, frosty night in Dublin 9. Been a while since I seen a night like this here, at least to memory. Was nice to stand out there with a wee cuppa and enjoy the freshness for a few minutes.

Snowing for the last 20 minutes, and all of it is sticking!! I was not expecting this, as showers up to now were infrequent and light in nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Nice one Nacho. After the latest fail, glad to see someone get the white gold.

Not expecting much from tomorrow as it just looks too warm. The Wicklow mountains are a cert for snow though.

Probably be just some morning flurries before rising temperatures make it wrong side of what we want.

Advertisement