Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

D_s wrote: »
    Especially busy at the minute as they're providing the "substantial meal" that allows the Newtown Inn to open, the lads who run the Chinese hate it and would rather be serving their regular customers in a timely fashion than chucking €9 worth of chicken wings and spice bags to the pintmen. Still, must be good for their revenue.

None of that makes sense.

I regularly go in there and order a takeaway 3-in1 for €4.50.

Very friendly, professional staff.

Why would it bother them selling food to people drinking downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Zebra3 wrote: »
    None of that makes sense.

I regularly go in there and order a takeaway 3-in1 for €4.50.

Very friendly, professional staff.

Why would it bother them selling food to people drinking downstairs?

Exactly, what a strange post? Pintmen, have you evr heard the like and in a condescending way, seems someone has a problem with the pub mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Exactly, what a strange post? Pintmen, have you evr heard the like and in a condescending way, seems someone has a problem with the pub mentioned.

I think most 'pintmen' like their new badge / name(come to think of it they probably invented it themselves!)

Maybe this pub needs to copy the option to send the food to the homeless rather than refuse bins

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2011abc wrote: »
    Maybe this pub needs to copy the option to send the food to the homeless rather than refuse bins

Despite that potentially being legal - the regulations just say the meal has to be bought basically ("ordered" is the term used in the SI) - the Guards have cracked down on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-pub-told-by-garda%C3%AD-it-must-serve-food-after-suspension-of-9-meal-1.4435442

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

As of today, they aren't doing that anymore. Donated the meals and a thousand euro to a charity, and now supposedly doing the same as everyone else that's open.

Come to think of it actually, the tables are spaced 2m apart, so does the time limit apply? I thought I heard the big lad say that to someone on Friday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Does anyone here know anything about the santa (cost,bookable etc) in donadea forest? Finding it hard to get info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

yellow hen wrote: »
    Does anyone here know anything about the santa (cost,bookable etc) in donadea forest? Finding it hard to get info.
    Was there yesterday - there was a guy in a santa suit in a shed behind a big window. Mic'd up to a speaker so he could talk to the kids. Said a tenner a family, could see an honesty box, not sure if there was a present for that. We didn't look all that closely, but to be honest it didn't look great and he didn't sound very santa-y from what we could hear. Didn't look like you needed to book, at 5ish yesterday there was no one there, even though the cafe area itself was pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Was there yesterday - there was a guy in a santa suit in a shed behind a big window. Mic'd up to a speaker so he could talk to the kids. Said a tenner a family, could see an honesty box, not sure if there was a present for that. We didn't look all that closely, but to be honest it didn't look great and he didn't sound very santa-y from what we could hear. Didn't look like you needed to book, at 5ish yesterday there was no one there, even though the cafe area itself was pretty busy.

Oh, sounds a bit meh. I'm not after a big fancy experience but would like something semi decent. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh, sounds a bit meh. I'm not after a big fancy experience but would like something semi decent. Thanks for letting me know.

Don't think you are gonna get that in 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JessM

I found this thread looking for reviews / feedback on Besburritos as I found them on Just Eat and there are only 4 very bad reviews (but with only star ratings, no detail which is a shame). I was delighted to see that there was a Mexican place that would deliver to us here in Celbridge, but not too keen on the staff working in cramped conditions with no masks.

Good to hear the recommendation of Kin Khao, small takeaway delivery menu but sounds a bit different. I think they'll deliver to Celbridge so will give them a try next time. Food delivery is one of the few pleasures at the moment so I'm genuinely excited about this!

Maams is one of my favourite options around, though I agree that it really is spicy (a bit too much so). I absolutely love their Chettinad chicken but even when I ask for it to be a bit less spicy it still is very hot. Might ask for "not spicy" next time and see what I get.
    We tried delivery from Bombay Bistro in Clane recently and it was absolutely awful. The starter looked like a dog's dinner. I didn't leave a negative review on JustEat because at a time like this I hate trashing someone's business but if people don't leave reviews, how will they ever improve?

Choys in Celbridge is our Chinese of choice, I haven't yet found a better one though am open to trying ;)

The Smokin' Goat opening soon in Celbridge should bring something new in the mix and since all the takeaways in Maynooth delivery to Celbridge, the converse should hopefully be true too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Delhi Darbar's chettinad is a level or two less spicy but it is a very spicy dish pretty much anyway - and DDs uses an insane amount of curry leaves which can create a texture some people don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

JessM wrote: »
    I found this thread looking for reviews / feedback on Besburritos as I found them on Just Eat and there are only 4 very bad reviews (but with only star ratings, no detail which is a shame). I was delighted to see that there was a Mexican place that would deliver to us here in Celbridge, but not too keen on the staff working in cramped conditions with no masks.

Good to hear the recommendation of Kin Khao, small takeaway delivery menu but sounds a bit different. I think they'll deliver to Celbridge so will give them a try next time. Food delivery is one of the few pleasures at the moment so I'm genuinely excited about this!

Maams is one of my favourite options around, though I agree that it really is spicy (a bit too much so). I absolutely love their Chettinad chicken but even when I ask for it to be a bit less spicy it still is very hot. Might ask for "not spicy" next time and see what I get.
    We tried delivery from Bombay Bistro in Clane recently and it was absolutely awful. The starter looked like a dog's dinner. I didn't leave a negative review on JustEat because at a time like this I hate trashing someone's business but if people don't leave reviews, how will they ever improve?

Choys in Celbridge is our Chinese of choice, I haven't yet found a better one though am open to trying ;)

The Smokin' Goat opening soon in Celbridge should bring something new in the mix and since all the takeaways in Maynooth delivery to Celbridge, the converse should hopefully be true too.

Thanks for the info about The Smokin' Goat, lookin forward to trying it.
    Have you tried The River King in Celbridge for takeaway, far superior to any of the Chinese in Celbridge. imo.
    I'm not a big fan of Choys, I always think the chicken and beef are poor quality.
    The Singapore fame/flame restaurant is badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Besburritos feedback anyone ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shockingly bad. Artless, thrown together and sadly inedible. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Follow_ur_lead

The place doesn't look inviting.

Won't last long I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Shockingly bad. Artless, thrown together and sadly inedible. :(

That's an awful pity. I hadn't tried it yet but was looking forward to trying it out.

Colking wrote: »
    That's an awful pity. I hadn't tried it yet but was looking forward to trying it out.

Me too. I think the Google reviews are fakes. Several 1 review profiles. Last time I looked it was 5 stars but honestly we had to bin ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Me too. I think the Google reviews are fakes. Several 1 review profiles. Last time I looked it was 5 stars but honestly we had to bin ours.

Had it, edible, just. But I was starving. Won't be back. Nowhere near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

JessM wrote: »

That's insane about Bombay Bistro, it's our go-to Indian even though we have Delhi Darbar locally. BB is the best Indian takeout I've had, maybe you got a bad night.

Choys is great, so is River King, Royal Palace is fantastic as well I think although maybe not as authentic as the others. Haven't tried Embassy yet.

Can't wait for the opening of the Smokin' Goat.

Sherwood Lane is new in Celbridge and also deserves a mention for something a bit fancier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Goose76 wrote: »
    Choys is great, so is River King, Royal Palace is fantastic as well I think although maybe not as authentic as the others. Haven't tried Embassy yet.

Koi is very good also

• Advertisement

Planning notice up for a full redevelopment of Greenfield SC. Three additional units out the sides and 34 apartments on four extra floors.

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning notice up for a full redevelopment of Greenfield SC. Three additional units out the sides and 34 apartments on four extra floors.

Whoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

That is...quite the building. Surely they'd have to flatten & rebuild? 4 storeys seems massive for something in the middle of a residential area.

Accommodation is desperately needed in Maynooth and I have always thought they could be more ambitious with that area, but I doubt 4 storeys is going to get permission without a fight.

https://www.facebook.com/geramaynooth/photos/a.268172911397470/268172884730806

My reading is four on top of the existing structure, so five and a half; presumably reinforcing the roof of the existing structure to support the weight.

There are three houses and a HSE care centre backing on to the site directly which would be the main sources of objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

https://www.facebook.com/geramaynooth/photos/a.268172911397470/268172884730806

My reading is four on top of the existing structure, so five and a half; presumably reinforcing the roof of the existing structure to support the weight.

There are three houses and a HSE care centre backing on to the site directly which would be the main sources of objection.

I can see issues with the parking as well, there's no where near enough room as it exists, and I don't see any mention of an underground.

Some guesswork as to where the side extensions would go would probably lose ~20 spaces from the current lot, possibly more if they change to an in and out entrance/exit setup.

Apartments beside a high frequency transit route do not require parking; but the likelihood is that a decent % of residents would have a car and would be trying to scout out on-street in the adjacent estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

but the likelihood is that a decent % of residents would have a car and would be trying to scout out on-street in the adjacent estates.
    That would be grounds for the locals to object, even if they ignore the 5 storey building.

It is, plausibly, the only grounds on which an objection will have real legs (you can put in whatever observations you want, of course).

Its zoned N, which allows residential applications; so it doesn't contravene the LAP. It will presumably meet ABP guidelines. Being overlooked / loss of light isn't a guaranteed basis for anything to be listened to (and less so if it goes to ABP), ditto scale / massing issues, if accepted by the council, are often overturned by ABP - but reducing parking at a shopping centre which is being proposed to have an increase in the number of shops is an obvious one.

Greenfield, Rail Park, The Crescent and arguably even Kingsbry, Old Greenfield, Silken Vale and Castlebridge/Parklands could all see parking issues from this.

I was going to assume the apartments would be build-to-rent; but the inclusion of balconies often indicates they're for sale - and apartment owners are more likely to have cars than renters generally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

5 Storey apartment is crazy, sounds like the opening bid. I can see it getting over the line with them losing the top floor (dropping the 2 3 bed apartments I'd guess and making more 2 beds than on the original plan.

Stupid location, but won't someone think of the parasites/developers.

• Advertisement

Planning file is 21/97 or 2197 as the new software needs it written - but nothing is scanned in yet.

http://webgeo.kildarecoco.ie/public/planningsearch/171

Advertisement