Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was really good fun. Lots of ammo for Extra Slice on Friday too.

Did anyone else think Rowan's showstopper looked phallic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Isn't he a single parent? As dependents they would have had to be included in the "bubble" I reckon.
    If you wanted you were allowed to bring your family (and pets apparently!) If they lived in the bubble too. He's a single parent so I guess he chose that option.

It would be a tough ask to stay isolated for 7.weeks without your family, I think- even if it is GBBO! How did they manage work wise?. I assume they don't get paid for being on the show? Surely most employers wouldn't give you that sort of annual leave.

On the normal times show at least, I assume they worked all week and baked at the weekend (tough going too).

Ah, I missed the bit about him being a single parent! Makes sense, then.

I'd imagine most contestants would negotiate leave of absence or similar with their employers - maybe in the first few series it was all practice baking at night and weekends, but I very much doubt that's the case these days! (although they still manage to pitch up somehow admitting to never having baked bread before!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In terms of artistry, I thought Linda’s cow was getting close to Bread Lion territory. It was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Right I'm back. Was on my holliers so didnt want the spoilers! Dont know why all the fuss around Mack going, he was a bit rubbish! We were just saying last night I wonder if they recorded the episodes every couple of days rather than every week seeing as they were all staying together?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I was wondering that too
    But normally they go home and practice for the week in between
    They couldn’t do that if they all stay on site, quite a disadvantage from usual, you’d have to have all your practice done before entering the “ bubble”
    Unless they have practice kitchens set up for them
    I’d say it’s a v intense experience for them this year, personalities could clash much quicker, they’d know each other much better
    And I read a few weeks back, the crew/judges were all in the bubble with them so it must be v strange

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm sure I read somewhere that they had 12 practice kitchens set up for the contestants so that they could practice on their days off and that they had a few days to practice in between each filming day. I'll see if I can find the link (probably something that was shared here already!)

ETA: here is the link, they did two days on, two days off! https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-09-20/great-british-bake-off-series-11-covid-changes/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Did they actually show Paul give Ermine a handshake?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes they did show the handshake

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    But normally they go home and practice for the week in between
    They couldn’t do that if they all stay on site, quite a disadvantage from usual, you’d have to have all your practice done before entering the “ bubble”
    miamee wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that they had 12 practice kitchens set up for the contestants so that they could practice on their days off
    They have showed them all in their practice kitchens on Extra Slice. :)

Posy wrote: »
    They have showed them all in their practice kitchens on Extra Slice. :)

I knew I'd seen it somewhere! The practice kitchens looked just like their ordinary show workstations, but with curtains drawn between them..... they hardly built 24 full kitchen stations??

And I'd read that it was a concertina-ed schedule, due to being locked up for the duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

What theme is this week? Because in our home is the cake week every week :D

8V9zR3S.jpg

Think its chocolate!

That looks yummy! I’m gonna make an orange drizzle loaf for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

It doesn't look good for Lottie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They are handing out beatings like confetti.

I think Lottie makes it, but, I think they don't like Marc, I can see the telegraphing.

After doing bad on the first round, lottie seemed to give up on the technical. She didn't even try imo. Hopefully she'll do better this time. I quite like her.

I just can't warm to David at all.

Worried about Sura. I like her. Hope she pulls it back now with the showstopper.

Can take or leave Marc and he hasn't impressed today so far.

Oh no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm not very impressed.

I love chocolate week but not happy as brownie was the only really ' chocolate' thing.

More bread which is boooring+ then showstopper is horrible white chocolate which doesn't count as far as I'm concerned. Way too sweet.

I was looking forward to big chocolately show stopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,289 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of all of them Peter annoys me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm not very impressed.

I love chocolate week but not happy as brownie was the only really ' chocolate' thing.

More bread which is boooring+ then showstopper is horrible white chocolate which doesn't count as far as I'm concerned. Way too sweet.

I was looking forward to big chocolately show stopper.
    Yeah the Chocolate ep should be the best one, this was total amateur hour.

• Advertisement

Out of all of them Peter annoys me for some reason.

Aww I like Peter. I have a theory about him but I'll keep it to myself in case I'm wrong.

Aww I like Peter. I have a theory about him but I'll keep it to myself in case I'm wrong.

Now I'm thinking things also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I liked Matt Lucas in the first episode but by god he’s wrecking my head now. Not even remotely funny. Enjoying the show overall.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I liked Matt Lucas in the first episode but by god he’s wrecking my head now. Not even remotely funny. Enjoying the show overall.

I do like him but I, and I've said it before , don't get why they need to have 'comedians' as presenters. If you watch the USA, Canadian, Australian they are all the same. Dont get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

After doing bad on the first round, lottie seemed to give up on the technical. She didn't even try imo. Hopefully she'll do better this time. I quite like her.

I just can't warm to David at all.

Worried about Sura. I like her. Hope she pulls it back now with the showstopper.

Can take or leave Marc and he hasn't impressed today so far.

David looks really intense, like he wants to rip Paul's head off any time they say anything less than positive about his bakes.

And sorry to see this week's contestant go, I liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Surprised Linda wasn't even in the conversation for star baker, top of the technical and the only thing wrong with her show stopper was the piping. Thought she had a much better week than Peter.

I really like Lottie and Mark. Sorry to see Sura go.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Surprised Linda wasn't even in the conversation for star baker, top of the technical and the only thing wrong with her show stopper was the piping. Thought she had a much better week than Peter.

I really like Lottie and Mark. Sorry to see Sura go.

I was a bit lost at how she didn’t even get a mention!

2 take aways from last night's show....

1. Lottie's hair :mad: How does half of it not wind up in her bakes?? Tie it (properly) back ffs!!

2. Sura's death stare when she was eliminated. Gave me a shiver! Maybe we've got to used to contestants on shows hamming it up for the cameras, and of course everyone reacts differently...... but that was the first time I've seen someone look borderline paralysed!

Very underwhelming show overall - especially the showstoppers..... even 12 hours after watching i can hardly remember any of them. And white chocolate - yuk! And not one proper brownie between the lot of them???

Hopefully they all (judges included) redeem themselves next week!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was surprised by the Brownie round. It was like ice cream where they can't even get vanilla right! Marc really got it in the neck from Paul, ouch. I felt that by the time Paul and Pru got to the final few contestants they were pretty p!ssed off.

I also, wanted proper chocolatey showstoppers, and was disappointed with the white chocolate cakes. Boo!

I was watching and knew that Lottie's hair would really bug people, especially Heidi. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I really liked Sura and her funny ways but she had a really bad day so had to go
    Dave is just too intense for me and I have the funny feeling he will win
    I would love to see someone come from behind and I think Mark could do it

Lottie really needs to tie her hair back it must be all over her bakes !!

Advertisement