Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I have eaten many a florentine but I never knew they were biscuits or made like that.

I thought they were nuts held together with a clear sugar syrup like caramel before it browns with a drizzle of chocolate.

That or Lidl has been fooling me all these years.

Those ones last night with the snap. Oh my, where would one get them? I bake a little but am not the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I have eaten many a florentine but I never knew they were biscuits or made like that.

I thought they were nuts held together with a clear sugar syrup like caramel before it browns with a drizzle of chocolate.

That or Lidl has been fooling me all these years.

Those ones last night with the snap. Oh my, where would one get them? I bake a little but am not the best.

I’m with you, when they started putting mango and nuts in I was like eh ????

I’m inspired tho and will attempt (and do mean attempt lol!!) to have a crack at Mary Berry’s Viennese at the weekend!!

Gervais08 wrote: »

I’m inspired tho and will attempt (and do mean attempt lol!!) to have a crack at Mary Berry’s Viennese at the weekend!!

I loved Vienese Whirls but have never made them. I love the ones Mr Kipling brings out this time of year. But my mind is gone and I can't remember if they are spiced or caramel.

Will you go traditional or a different flavour profile.

Gervais08 wrote: »

Mary Berry is on BBC 2 now in case you don’t know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I loved Vienese Whirls but have never made them. I love the ones Mr Kipling brings out this time of year. But my mind is gone and I can't remember if they are spiced or caramel.

Will you go traditional or a different flavour profile.

I’m a bit of a chocoholic and so that might be the ends dipped in choc but filling wise I’m thinking a vanilla/strawberry combo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My favourite bit from this week’s episode:

Noel: “You have one... hundred... thousand...”
    Matt: “Four...”
    Noel: “Four hundred thousand hours”

:D

Also: “You have five minutes left until I tell you you have ten minutes left”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

My favourite bit from this week’s episode:

Noel: “You have one... hundred... thousand...”
    Matt: “Four...”
    Noel: “Four hundred thousand hours”

:D

Also: “You have five minutes left until I tell you you have ten minutes left”

I loved the five minutes left until... :D

The contestants didn't though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I don't like Matt as a presenter - he's not squeaky or chirpy enough. His voice kinda blends into background. Nobody can beat Mel and Sue duo period.
    I'm inspired to bake, regardless :D Mix of coffee, caramel, chocolate and brandy :D

3RcaOsv.jpg

I’m drooling!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watching live this time, so I've had to suffer Tom Allen...... I'll make sure to time things a bit better next week!

His home baking slot could have stopped about two bakers earlier, it drags on a bit.

Love Stephen Mangan. And loved Phil getting up that Malaysian girl's nose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I actually thought Mark had better back and forth with Matt and the others so even by the criteria of more entertaining I thought he deserved to stay! I wonder did Rowan impress in his entry and they’re holding out for something amazing there.
    Oh really, I felt Noel and Matt were getting on great- Noel seemed like he was laughing at Matt's shenanigans . Shows you what I know.

No, I one hundred per cent agree with you. Think the chemistry is great between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The Hollywood handshake 😂

Rainbow bagels?! Nah, these don't appeal to me. I rather stick to cake leftovers I found in the far corner of the fridge... :D
    Z8tooII.jpg

j@utis wrote: »
    Rainbow bagels?! Nah, these don't appeal to me. I rather stick to cake leftovers I found in the far corner of the fridge... :D
    Z8tooII.jpg

Cut me a slice, I have the tea made

"these are a bit dark", gosh how can you tell when they're so brightly colored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Rowan has to go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God I actually cannot stand Matt Lucas

I tried.

I agree with two post above 110%. Both are so annoying, pity only one of them can be send home...

I’m loving Matt tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Rowan has absolutely no business being on this show

• Advertisement

Finally! You won't be missed Rowan!

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Rowan has absolutely no business being on this show

Ah not a great baker but a great character to have encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Though Matt was great tonight. Finding this series much better than the last two seasons

Glad rowan went and a fair decision for star baker too. I love Matt, he makes me laugh.

Just nearly finished watching now....

God, I'm sick of Rowan's shtick at this stage, hope he goes!

Prue's voice seems to be awfully thin or wobbly or vulnerable or something, hope she's OK (memories of that as for VHI where the teacher had throat cancer :eek:)

How on earth do they manage to eat that many large lumps of dry bread without keeling over or choking???? And that's coming from a die hard bread lover!

But a bread with butter lover - and speaking of which, after making them go to all the trouble of making butter (as one of them said - why??), they then don't even bother to judge it??

Those rainbow bagels were nothing short of revolting! Even Paul's own ones - I can't imagine anythig less appetising right now!

Loved the sound of a lot of those soda bread flavours, esp Hermine's ones.

Aaaand he's gone. Can't say I'm sorry (although he does get some redeeming points from an inveterate sailor for wearing Dubarry boots :D )

How were Mark's family allowed to invade the bubble??? (Not that I'd begrudge him it, just there was such a big deal made of them all being locked up for 7 weeks or whatever it was - I'm genuinely curious!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Aaaand he's gone. Can't say I'm sorry (although he does get some redeeming points from an inveterate sailor for wearing Dubarry boots :D )

How were Mark's family allowed to invade the bubble??? (Not that I'd begrudge him it, just there was such a big deal made of them all being locked up for 7 weeks or whatever it was - I'm genuinely curious!)

I'm really curious about that too!

And I agree completely about the rainbow bagels. I love a bagel but saturated in colouring? No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If you wanted you were allowed to bring your family (and pets apparently!) If they lived in the bubble too. He's a single parent so I guess he chose that option.

It would be a tough ask to stay isolated for 7.weeks without your family, I think- even if it is GBBO! How did they manage work wise?. I assume they don't get paid for being on the show? Surely most employers wouldn't give you that sort of annual leave.

On the normal times show at least, I assume they worked all week and baked at the weekend (tough going too).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

If you wanted you were allowed to bring your family (and pets apparently!) If they lived in the bubble too. He's a single parent so I guess he chose that option.

It would be a tough ask to stay isolated for 7.weeks without your family, I think- even if it is GBBO! How did they manage work wise?. I assume they don't get paid for being on the show? Surely most employers wouldn't give you that sort of annual leave.

On the normal times show at least, I assume they worked all week and baked at the weekend (tough going too).

Some of them would have jobs that are all work from home at this stage??

Oh and wife and I can't stand Matt Lucas. Like nails on a blackboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Isn't he a single parent? As dependents they would have had to be included in the "bubble" I reckon.

Advertisement