Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Hi, I'm a new poster. Just thought I'd share a few recent dining experiences.

I drove back from Dublin yesterday and picked my girlfriend up with the intention of going for something cheap and cheerful for dinner. Neither of us were pushed about going into the town centre as we had a table already booked at L'Atmosphere for tonight. We decided to try out Imperial Garden across from Dunphy's shop on the Cork Rd. I have to say I havn't had a Chinese as good as it in Waterford since Happy Garden back in the early/mid nineties (anyone old enough to remember back then will know what I'm talking about). The service was attentive without being too annoying and the food was tasty and excellent value. I would really recommend the Imperial Garden Roast Duck.

As I mentioned above I had a table booked in L'Atmosphere tonight. We were seated at 6pm and decided to try out the early bird (€20 for 3 courses and glass of wine). I had Goats Cheese Mousse served with tomato bruschetta and beetroot to start, Venison and Mash Pie for mains and Homemade Choc Eclair for dessert. The girlfriend had Red cabbage served with a poached egg for starters, Salmon stew for mains and Meringue souffle for dessert. The Salmon stew stole the show - fantastic. We indulged in an extra bottle of red wine at €24.95 and two coffees at the end. The only downside to L'Atmosphere is the speed of service. The French waiting girls are really pleasant and attentive but appear to be under orders from higher up to get people seated, feed them and get them out. This really annoys me when in a restaurant. There was no more than 3/4 minutes break between our starter/main/dessert. One of the waitresses even took my empty plate even though my girlfriend was still eating, she seemed a bit uncomfortable doing it aswell which indicated to me that it's not her choice. I must say the food was excellent and theres a great buzz around the liitle restaurant

I would definitely go to Imperial Garden again, as for L'Atmosphere I would probably go again just to see if the service was as 'speedy' if we were ordering off the normal (more expensive) menu.

On a sidenote, MacLearys is our next 'port of call'. Great to see the premises operating as a restaurant again. The Wine Vault was one of the best restaurants in the country in my opinion and always seemed ahead of it's time, I wouldn't say I was the only disapointed Waterford native when that closed down a few years back. MacLearys has a lot to live up to following on from The Vault - some of the reviews sound promising so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Went in just after 4 on Sunday, place empty, 3 staff near the front door, one of whom I'm sure was the owner, one sweeping the floor rushed us to our seats..back in a mo... left there for over 10 minutes while the owner and one of them had a heated argument, eg she should have known this, I was only helping her, etc

Charming.... as we were leaving they rushed over, are you all right, we'll be over to you now, I replied your obviously not open for business.

God only knows what the food would have been like if we had stayed under those conditions.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Boooourns

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Went in just after 4 on Sunday, place empty, 3 staff near the front door, one of whom I'm sure was the owner, one sweeping the floor rushed us to our seats..back in a mo... left there for over 10 minutes while the owner and one of them had a heated argument, eg she should have known this, I was only helping her, etc

Charming.... as we were leaving they rushed over, are you all right, we'll be over to you now, I replied your obviously not open for business.

God only knows what the food would have been like if we had stayed under those conditions.:(

I used to really like that place but it's all gone a bit tired in there. We were out for dinner today and myself and my wife passed it, months ago we would have gone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id echo the sentiments of the above posters, used to really love the bistro, shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's funny that in the times I've been there, it's always been the owner/manager that has always left me leaving with a terrible impression of the place. If she treats her staff anyway like she treats the customers, then it's no surprise why the place is in the dumps.

AdMMM wrote: »
    It's funny that in the times I've been there, it's always been the owner/manager that has always left me leaving with a terrible impression of the place. If she treats her staff anyway like she treats the customers, then it's no surprise why the place is in the dumps.

Yeah i agree with that, she always has a face on her. I'd hate to work for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mount misery

Have been in Mc Leary's twice and I have to say that this place is a refreshing addition to the Restaurant scene. If these two lads can maintain their level of service and value they are here for the long haul! Despite being packed on both nights I was there the service and food were both excellent. It's great to see two local lads taking a chance and being supported. Then again, they've both been in this game a long time so they seem to know what they're at.

There has been a vacuum in the town for a good steak and seafood restaurant since the Olde Stande closed and these lads might just fill that niche. It has all the ingredients-great, friendly service, good, unpretentious, honest-unfancy but substantial Irish food and a really cosy, warm atmosphere in Waterford's emerging Viking quarter. Fair play on taking a chance at a difficult time but it shows that if people feel they are getting value for money they will return. Well done but it makes you wonder just how much restaurants were making during the good times if such value can now be offered! It's a pity it doesn't have draught beer license but we'll live with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Boooourns wrote: »
    Yeah i agree with that, she always has a face on her. I'd hate to work for her.

Agree, she is practically famous for it at this stage! We had lunch in there about 2 weeks ago and I have to say it was lovely, think they give generous portions.

Was in La Palma last week for dinner and it was absolutely delicious, no fault whatsoever and love the atmosphere in there. Went on to The Front Lounge after reading about it here and think it's a great pub, really nice barman in there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

took a trip out to Fitzpatrick's on the cork road on foot of a christmas voucher, and having a poor meal last few times i was there can say they have improved. there seems to be new management who is very efficient and attentive. there was a very reasonable wine and dine for €55, but a good selection on the a la carte. the veggie selection is a nice creamy mushroom tagliatelle, (which i had no complaints) only gripe i would had is the dessert selection, Fitzpatrick's never fail to do good desserts but on this menu there wasnt a sniff of a bit of chocolate. (fail for me!) had a lemon tart which was fine, but not a patch on a chocolate one! worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Have been in Mc Leary's twice and I have to say that this place is a refreshing addition to the Restaurant scene. If these two lads can maintain their level of service and value they are here for the long haul! Despite being packed on both nights I was there the service and food were both excellent. It's great to see two local lads taking a chance and being supported. Then again, they've both been in this game a long time so they seem to know what they're at.

There has been a vacuum in the town for a good steak and seafood restaurant since the Olde Stande closed and these lads might just fill that niche. It has all the ingredients-great, friendly service, good, unpretentious, honest-unfancy but substantial Irish food and a really cosy, warm atmosphere in Waterford's emerging Viking quarter. Fair play on taking a chance at a difficult time but it shows that if people feel they are getting value for money they will return. Well done but it makes you wonder just how much restaurants were making during the good times if such value can now be offered! It's a pity it doesn't have draught beer license but we'll live with that!

Was in town with my Mam and we decided to try Mc Learys having seen the above review. My Mam order chips with her lunch and received burnt chips with her lunch, when sho pointed out that her chips were burnt the waiter informed her that "that was exactly how he liked them" ?
    There were two guys working there, one was gloved up,etc, really professional, very polite however the other guy is the complete opposite.
    Unfortunately I won't be returning, its a pity cause its always nice to have somewhere different to go in town.

For what its worth La Boheme is still my favourite.

For what its worth La Boheme is still my favourite.

Went there New years eve and its a fantastic place.. It's expensive but it has a touch of class about it, it's a step up from anyother restaurant in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsoriordan2be

just back from that new McLearys place in town. So disappointed. Can honestly say we would have been better off going to the chipper. €80 for 2 starters and 2 steaks. Starters were mediocre, had to send steak back as it was almost well done when I asked for rare and second steak came out even more well done! Such a waste of an evening and money.

just back from that new McLearys place in town. So disappointed. Can honestly say we would have been better off going to the chipper. €80 for 2 starters and 2 steaks. Starters were mediocre, had to send steak back as it was almost well done when I asked for rare and second steak came out even more well done! Such a waste of an evening and money.

God, that's a pity, really hope it doesn't go downhill and it was just a bad night for them.

Was in the Granville (the bianconi restaurant) last night for the early bird €20 for starter, main course and dessert great choices on the menu and was absolutely delicious. First time I've been somewhere in a long time where the portions where huge, will definately go back.

Eastenders on the Quay doing an all you can eat 3 course buffet 8.99 at lunch!

I love Eastenders

• Advertisement

poppies2 wrote: »
    God, that's a pity, really hope it doesn't go downhill and it was just a bad night for them.

Was in the Granville (the bianconi restaurant) last night for the early bird €20 for starter, main course and dessert great choices on the menu and was absolutely delicious. First time I've been somewhere in a long time where the portions where huge, will definately go back.

Cheers, will give this a try soon, what time do they do it till?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sathanlon

had a great meal in the hairy pig restaurant in waterford saturday night its up stairs over the exchange bar on ballybricken jason is the chef and a good one 3 course meal and 5 drinks for 35 euro give it a try you will be very happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

sathanlon wrote: »
    had a great meal in the hairy pig restaurant in waterford saturday night its up stairs over the exchange bar on ballybricken jason is the chef and a good one 3 course meal and 5 drinks for 35 euro give it a try you will be very happy

Hiya Billy. :D

kryogen wrote: »
    Cheers, will give this a try soon, what time do they do it till?

Up until 7pm, now we were in there a bit later than that but were still able to order from it, fab service from them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

sathanlon wrote: »

Going to head up myself Saturday night. Great value for €20 for 3 courses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hiya Billy. :D

It's not Billy's business. Its Jason the chef who runs it. I suppose if you wanted to add the 5 drinks then the business would be going to Billy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

south wrote: »
    It's not Billy's business. Its Jason the chef who runs it. I suppose if you wanted to add the 5 drinks then the business would be going to Billy.

Apologies. Should have been Hi Billy/Jason so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I was in McLearys a few weeks ago with the family. It was a first time in there for them (I had already been). Although it was very busy, the service was still very good and as it eased off a bit, one of the owners, Ken, found the time to chat at all the tables. Good to see.

The food was lovely - I had the beef medallions, and they were perfect. As for the chips, I like them well done and crispy, so no complaints there ;)

Everyone was really impressed with the food and the service, and will definitely be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

can anyone recommend the best restaurant for Valentines Night in the city, preferrably on the Quay but anywhere with 10 minutes of the city centre is fine. Budget is not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

www.facebook.com/espressowaterford

A great looking deal/menu tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

Eastenders on the Quay doing an all you can eat 3 course buffet 8.99 at lunch!

Is that during the week or weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Any other recommendations for Valentines meal for the Sunday night bar espresso?

Budget is tight! Looking for deals.

Thanking you :)

Well if espresso is too expensive for you. Could I recommend Chick King or maybe Apache Pizza? They have seating and im sure they'd light a candle for you if you asked nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

^ He never said Espresso was to expensive,he just simply said that his budget is tight,like many people in this country.Maybe Chick King or Apache Pizza is also to tight for his budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

depends on what you after(Italian,French,Indian etc.) i suppose

i love Kambo out the dunmore road-never had a bad meal in there or got a bad take away.
    Cafe Goa-fantastic,as is A taste of India/Indian on High Street
    Also The Esquire out in Tramore,although haven't been there in an age...
    L'atmosphere-loved it also,wish it was slightly bigger though,we went on a Saturday night,a group of 5,and it just seemed a bit cramped,but food was fantastic,but thems the breaks
    Absolute fave is La Boheme though-it's just seems a step up somehow-it ticks all the right boxes for atmosphere,service and food-
    just an enjoyable experience,which should be the case when you go out for a meal

• Advertisement

^ He never said Espresso was to expensive,he just simply said that his budget is tight,like many people in this country.Maybe Chick King or Apache Pizza is also to tight for his budget.

Then maybe you'd like to have him over for a meal yourself? Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

HE is a she.

I was just asking for opinions on a place on a budget, not a smart arse comment about goin to a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

cook something nice at home? few candles etc

foundry wrote: »
    HE is a she.

I was just asking for opinions on a place on a budget, not a smart arse comment about goin to a chipper.

My apologies i just assumed you were a man for some reason,i didn't make a smart comment about the chipper,i understand that your budget like mine is tight.Not all of us own a pub.

For a nice restaurant on a budget you could try the hairy pig,i haven't eaten there myself but its getting great reviews.

My apologies i just assumed you were a man for some reason,i didn't make a smart comment about the chipper,i understand that your budget like mine is tight.Not all of us own a pub.

For a nice restaurant on a budget you could try the hairy pig,i haven't eaten there myself but its getting great reviews.

I don't own a pub either. If I did, I think I'd be even more skint than I am now. But aren't you a funny fellow.

I don't own a pub either. If I did, I think I'd be even more skint than I am now. But aren't you a funny fellow.

I think your taking this thread off topic,but i never said anything about you owning a pub,my comment was about people who own pubs,and as you just said you don't.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Right richie, ive just about had enough of you sly digs a people on here, it's obvious that you were aiming that comment at abouttobebanned and you had a go off me today when I got on to you over another thread.

You seen to be going out on purpose try to antagonise people looking for a reaction, well you gotten one from me, your banned for 2 weeks.

What was the offensive PM he sent? :)

What was the offensive PM he sent? :)

Who said anything about an offensive PM?

• Advertisement

10-02-2011, 6:31 Richie Cranium 17-02-2011, 6:00 For sending a threatening PM Tom Dunne

Ah right, forgot that post was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ah right, forgot that post was there.

How did you get the smiley face working there? I'm on the mobile site and they never show up?

I posted that from the iPhone, I don't access the mobile site just the normal site, and I've some sort of add on in the keyboard setting that have a load of different smileys in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Anyone been to the re-opened Fan Dynasty yet?

(If I can get a question in with all the broken furniture and smashed egos.....:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Anyone been to the re-opened Fan Dynasty yet?

(If I can get a question in with all the broken furniture and smashed egos.....:D)

Ive had a couple of take aways there. Its still fairly pricey but the food is as nice as it always was.

Im going to go in there now for a take away. Do you see what you did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Trotter wrote: »
    Do you see what you did?

I do, I'm sorry Trotter, but, it had to be done......I wonder how this is going to look on the screen in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thought I'd post a review of two takeaways we experienced lately.

OH had takeaway from the Jade Palace - breast of chicken curry with fried rice. He said it was the nicest takeaway he's had in years.

I had a Chicken Phall from Planet Spice on the Quay (first time trying this restaurant) . It was delish! Definitely the nicest Indian meal I've had in Waterford, and it was reasonably price. I do like Cafe Goa, but this place was nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

www.facebook.com/espressowaterford

A great looking deal/menu tbh
    €9 for pasta and €10 for lasagne? Sounds fairly steep. Does it include anything else?

The reason Italian food, like pasta, is so popular is because its tasty and cheap. Pizza is basically bread with some stuff on top, and pasta is just made from wheat. What size portions are they?

I've always considered Espresso disappointing and over priced for what you get.

EDIT: Just saw the valentine's special. How were the portions. It seems decent value, though I'd hardly consider coffee a 'course'.

Dayshah, you're just trying to be critical. EVERY restaurant consider tea & coffee a course...just like a tiny sorbet is considered a course. It's done that way so you know that it's included in the course, i.e, your tea or coffee is free.

And lasagne obviously comes with chips and salad.

If you think those prices are steep then I'm guessing you don't eat out very often.

Your post is biased based on the fact that you've never liked espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Have been to expresso on two occasions, the first was when it opened and the food was nice, the second time being wed night all I can say about it was horrible. I had the carbonarra which just simply had no taste off it, herself had the bolognase could barely find the mince on the plate and could have been sure the sauce was tomato ketchup, it was that bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement