Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutter..was it you.

• 27-11-2018 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

SOME NUTTER ..this evening going down howth village in the dark...wet roads..at 70 kph..I was doing 50 and he flew past..almost missed a car Coming up the hill.

Was it you.

Your neither brave or skilled..just stupid..and must have no regard for your family.if you have one that it.

There was no way in hell to avoid an accident if one small thing happened.

Anyway each to their own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sorry!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

disco1 wrote: »
    almost missed a car Coming up

You mean he hit a car ?
    Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Alexzont

Yeah, sorry about that. Was trying to KOM a downhill segment like Phil Gaimon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I am Spartacus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

No he didn't hit car...but he will do soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

No I'm Spartacus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

He must have been on a Raleigh Burner to be going that slow into the village . I’ve seen lads do that heading into the Abbey Tavern . Great thread in fairness :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't think it was me, i was cycling up howth head at 70 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He slowed to 70 because it was wet. Not worth the risk.

....and last year it was complaints about cyclist holding up other traffic in Howth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

More importantly was he wearing a hi viz vest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The response here is so childish.

Fact of the matter is that bad cyclists give everybody a bad name and lead to laws which are unfair to a responsible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

eagle eye wrote: »

Fact of the matter is that bad cyclists give everybody a bad name and lead to laws which are unfair to a responsible person.

Could you please explain why you think that they are a bad cyclist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fact of the matter is that bad cyclists give everybody a bad name
    *everybody*?
    taxi drivers will be livid about being tarred with this brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Was fully expecting that he was looking for a member called nutter

The op says he is neither brave nor skilled just stupid.
    He was there so I'm taking his word. None of the rest of you were.

I'm just jealous of his descending skills!

*everybody*? taxi drivers will be livid about being tarred with this brush.

Again, childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

The op says he is neither brave nor skilled just stupid.
    He was there so I'm taking his word. None of the rest of you were.

But his nutter tag suggests more one with a mental incapacity but with a fleeting sense of chapeau thrown in.

Did anyone check Strava for actual speeds tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

He was trying out his new disc brakes, so he was grand.

Personally it doesn’t bother me when someone gets the better of me on a descent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

No I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus and so's my wife!

• Advertisement

Strong southwesterly winds forecast for tomorrow...75 might be doable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He could have hit one of those lethal fence posts someone warned us about some time back. He'd be dead then, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sorry it was me. Those Shimano brake pads on alibaba are ****e, BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Most of the responses here are a perfect example why a lot of people think that cyclists and the people on this forum are dicks. So much condescension.
    The op came on with a genuine complaint and was met with derrision and sniggers. Not really on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He must have been on a Raleigh Burner to be going that slow into the village . I’ve seen lads do that heading into the Abbey Tavern . Great thread in fairness :)

I miss my 80’s Raleigh Burner and my Activator 2. This thread is bringing the memories flooding back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do bad country people give country people a bad name ?
    Do bad white people give white people a bad name?
    And so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

FanadMan wrote: »
    ...The op came on with a genuine complaint and was met with derrision and sniggers. Not really on.
    What makes you think it's a genuine complaint? Perhaps the OP is a crap descender (like me) and just envious of another's confidence in the wet/dark?

The reason many of us made light of it is because these type of threads are just so pointless. If I see a motorist/motorcyclist driving in a manner which I don't approve, I don't feel the need to start a thread about it in the Motoring/Motorcycle Forum. Nor do I feel it gives anyone else a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

The reason many of us made light of it is because these type of threads are just so pointless. If I see a motorist/motorcyclist driving in a manner which I don't approve, I don't feel the need to start a thread about it in the Motoring/Motorcycle Forum. Nor do I feel it gives anyone else a bad name.

THIS +1

If I say +2 to WAs post would it be considered childish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭sham58107

What makes you think it's a genuine complaint? Perhaps the OP is a crap descender (like me) and just envious of another's confidence in the wet/dark?

Maybe not you but many do ! check the cycling forum.

Why guys wear black without lights beats me, same as dicks in cars without lights it is November !! evenings are dark and dismal, and if some unfortunate driver pedestrian had been involved in accident with this guy, who would be on keyboards now!!

I probably cycle 6-7000 km a year and drive maybe 60-70000, so I see both sides, a lot of fools on both sides, but recently in Dublin the cycle behaviour is shocking, guys in black no lights passing on inside when cars at lights are clearly indicating to go left, drivers have enough to do trying to negotiate traffic without this. Yes some drivers are very bad as well and the one eyed car on country roads really gets me, as do phone usage. Most modern cars tell you if you have bulb out and all have Bluetooth, BTW I came across a very special Ford last week , the only one factory forgot to fit with indicators.

sham58107 wrote: »

Why guys wear black without lights beats me, same as dicks in cars without lights it is November !! evenings are dark and dismal, and if some unfortunate driver pedestrian had been involved in accident with this guy, who would be on keyboards now!!

I probably cycle 6-7000 km a year and drive maybe 60-70000, so I see both sides, a lot of fools on both sides, but recently in Dublin the cycle behaviour is shocking, guys in black no lights passing on inside when cars at lights are clearly indicating to go left, drivers have enough to do trying to negotiate traffic without this. Yes some drivers are very bad as well and the one eyed car on country roads really gets me, as do phone usage. Most modern cars tell you if you have bulb out and all have Bluetooth, BTW I came across a very special Ford last week , the only one factory forgot to fit with indicators.

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest? I agree with you...lots of numpty's out there on the roads (i met a few myself this morning). I use lights in the dark, i wear bright clothing and obey the ROTR. I can't change other people's Driving/cycling habits. All i can do is try and not be a numpty myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

sham58107 wrote: »

You know that 99% percent of us drive too?
    15 years no penalty points.
    your driving gives you no moral authority here.
    "drivers have enough to do trying to negotiate traffic".
    NO!. Drivers ARE the traffic.

A Pointless thread. if everyone of us raised a thread on the motoring forum for everytime i saw a car breaking a red light The servers would run out of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I do have to admire taxi drivers making the comment about road tax. I'd love to know how they fare out when they complete their income tax return for the year. I'd say the biro could be fairly light when it comes to making a true and accurate statement of their annual earnings.

/totally off the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is it just me, or is 50 also a bit fast to be going down the hill on a wet day?

I don't think 50kph is that fast. Depends on the ability of the rider i suppose.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I don't think 50kph is that fast. Depends on the ability of the rider i suppose.

So the OP is saying

Why does that apply at 70 and not at 50.

Going down hill on a wet day.

FWIW, braking from 50 means scrubbing off half the kinetic energy that braking from 70 would involve.

FWIW, braking from 50 means scrubbing off half the kinetic energy that braking from 70 would involve.

what does that mean in plain English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    More chance of avoiding an incident at 50 than 70! :pac:

Macy0161 wrote: »
    More chance of avoiding an incident at 50 than 70! :pac:

Yes, obviously.

However

One small thing that causes an accident at 70k, will also more than likely cause an accident at 50.

Furthermore, come off the bike at 50 is no joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I came off at 50. It was no joke.

So the OP is saying

Why does that apply at 70 and not at 50.

Going down hill on a wet day.

I disagree. It depends on what the small thing is. it depends on the experience/skill of the rider. if were talking about an incident with another road user, their reactions may also influence the outcome.

there are a lot of factors involved..maybe travelling at 70 would avoid an incident that might happen if the rider travelled at 50?

One small thing that causes an accident at 70k, will also more than likely cause an accident at 50.
    braking distance would be roughly halved, though.
    that said, you don't want your braking surface to be your face, even if it is "only" 50km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I feel bad now.
    Fastest I ever got on that descent was only 66km/h.

braking distance would be roughly halved, though.
    that said, you don't want your braking surface to be your face, even if it is "only" 50km/h.

OK.

I did not make the point that 50k is as dangerous as 70k.

I didn't make the point that 50k is nearly as dangerous as 70k.

I made the point that 50k is quite dangerous, in its own right, if 'one small thing goes wrong'.

That has nothing to do with braking time compared to 70k.

What happens if you hit a pothole at 50k.

What happens if a dog runs out in front of you at 50k.

Wider point being that OP is pitching him/ herself as moving nice and safely....while a nutter flies past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That's complete and utter crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

This explains it really well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3D7XYQExt0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

See post #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I cycle down that hill every morning at 50+kph but slow to 30-40 through the village, its what I feel is safe(r). I cycle an MTB with disks btw. 70kph imo is nuts through there considering the hazards, for instance you have diagonal parking spaces past the church which cars have to reverse uphill out of. Considering the poor visibility out of the average family car there is no way the driver can see a bike coming down the hill at 30kph, let alone faster. Lets not forget that the limit is 50kph and most cars are travelling well under that. Also there is a pedestrian crossing there, wouldn't fancy trying to stop from 70 for that.

Who had the lazer gun to measure the speed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement