Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow showers likely in the northwest Tuesday night onward

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that shower made it here, just cold rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain turning quickly to wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

Good to hear you are seeing snow falling at your location Gonzo, particularly as Net weather currently has it as all rain. Getting quite dull and overcast in Dublin city now - I would expect rain here but maybe a few flakes thrown in.

There is a large area of thick cloud moving into northern and northwestern areas now. This has been consistently forecasted by Met Eireann and they seem to be bang on with it again. I'm guessing there may be some warmer air within this band (my reckoning is it's an occluded front) so it may be a messy mix of rain and sleet with snow mainly on higher ground but I am really hoping to be surprised by something more wintry for a greater amount of the population, especially as nightfall is almost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

one of the blackest clouds i've seen in a while to the left of me on cork city, wonder if it will hit or not, looks like it should

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Freezing rain here in D15

Cold rain here in D15

• Advertisement

Freezing rain here in D15

With air and ground temperatures above freezing, I'm highly doubting that you are getting freezing rain, assuming that is where you are......cold rain sounds way more likely

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A little bit of icy rain/sleet here now in Dublin 16. 4.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sleety shower in Kilkenny City but the hills to the north are white

just had another shower but it's back to rain. it was really the backedge of that last shower that had wet snow in it.

Gonzo wrote: »
    just had another shower but it's back to rain. it was really the backedge of that last shower that had wet snow in it.

Yeah, looks like almost everywhere is currently on the wrong side of marginal. The front moving into the north and north west now appears to exist due to some warmer air. There's a distinct change from a north west to more northerly flow at the back of the front. Temps in Ulster are ranging from about 2 - 4c at the moment and milder again on the coasts.

I think the front will begin as rain for all but those on very high ground. As the colder air then digs in, combined with some evaporative cooling plus night time cooling, I would expect it to turn a little more wintry in many areas and possibly some snowfall for those on higher ground, more particularly above above about 200m, maybe a bit higher, maybe a bit lower.

Between 100m and 200m, I would expect rain turn to sleet with some wet snow but probably not much lying snow....never say never though.

Below 100m, I'm thinking mainly rain with a wintry mix from time to time but nothing to get excited about.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong and I am underestimating this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Suddenly turned tornado like here.

Severe gales hail and sheets n sheets of rain mixed in

I guess we have to be punished for 3 or 4 days where there was only a few mm of rain. Back to the normal 10mm plus a day now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Hail and sleet shower now in Blessington,car reading 2c ,turning to wet snow,how come? Yn.no had us under +3 and rain for this evening

Moderate wet snow shower has just passed, on the Meath/Kildare border. Some of the flakes were very wet but there were a good few large proper flakes....not a hope of it sticking but was still nice to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »
    Moderate wet snow shower has just passed, on the Meath/Kildare border. Some of the flakes were very wet but there were a good few large proper flakes....not a hope of it sticking but was still nice to look at.

Rain here in Celbridge, just down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

one of the blackest clouds i've seen in a while to the left of me on cork city, wonder if it will hit or not, looks like it should

Spotted that too, sky went extremely dark for 10-15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It was trying really hard to snow all the way round the M50 just now. Lashing sleet really heavily, flakes both visible and audible, unusual combination! Sadly just a degree or slightly more too warm.

I'd say Dublin Mountains above 300m or so are a winter wonderland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Bugger all happening at 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

1st rain shower of the day here near Arklow just now

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/958795868236328961

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Horrible, awful, brutal night here! Worst of the winter so far. Just 2 C and 6 hours of constant torrential rain driven by a gale force Northerly wind.
    :(

Advertisement