Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phoenix Park Road Closed

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of traffic in D15, i was astounded when i heard that lidl had been granted PP to build right in the middle of castleknock village. from a traffic point of view, that seems insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yeah you've duplicated routes on that. It can be summarized as follows.

I've edited the list
    monument wrote: »
    D15 residents currently has the following ways to get to the city centre:

[*]The park (closed according to this thread)
    1. Navan rd (two lanes restricted to single lane) the only main road.
    2. R806 (rat run though residential area - restricted Blackhorse Ave narrow )
    3. R109 (rat run residential area restricted Chapelizod narrow )

[*]M50/N4 / R148 via Lucan (basically go to another area with better access :D

So you've one main road single lane. Two narrow back roads, both constrained by tiny villages, or just give up and go laterally down the motorway another area, because they have better access, via the M50 car park.

speaking of traffic in D15, i was astounded when i heard that lidl had been granted PP to build right in the middle of castleknock village. from a traffic point of view, that seems insane.

Yeah its a bottle neck too narrow for even a cycle lane. So lets put a shopping center exactly at that point. Makes perfect sense.

There's loads of empty land around the other end of Castleknock on the N3. Most people will drive to it anyway. A shopping center on a dual carriage way with a direct link to the train and the M50. yeah bad idea.

...In West Dublin, the Palmerstown "bypass" brings people near enough the centre by bus or car in large volumes. The Naas Road does something similar in SW Dublin. Drumcondra/Swords Road now has pretty much continuous bus lanes on both sides. The Stillorgan Bypass and most of the 145 bus route has a lot of capacity too. I think somewhere like Knocklyon and Rathfarnham has it worse, but doesn't have to compete with through traffic or commuting from further beyond, to the same extent as arterial routes have in D15.

Palmerstown bypass (2-3 lanes)
    Naas rd - (2-3 lanes)
    Drumcondra rd is similar to Navan Rd. But then its 5k from the city vs 14k, even rathfarnman is closer. Knocklyon is what 10k.

The future is far less cars in the city center. But closing the park to through traffic has a big impact, lets no pretend it doesn't. if it doesn't effect you, then its hardly an issue for you is it.

I don't see the rational of longer orbital routes WITHIN the park as having less impact on the amenity routes, than shorter ones. If you want to restrict the volume. Put a timed light on the shorter less obtrusive route. Making it a longer route within the park is counter productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

Would you not cycle in along the Royal canal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

trellheim wrote: »
    Would you not cycle in along the Royal canal ?

Depends where you're coming from. The canal path along thye Royal Canal is still in rag order from Porterstown bridge to Castleknock. Not suitable for cycling at all - a few manage it on MTB's. But for recreational / commuting, especially in the wet / winter, it's dangerous.

You've got the anti-social elements to content with then around Broombridge. Depending on the time of day / year i.e. darker evenings, I wouldn't be comfortable cycling that. And I;m a 6'2" bloke! :). Be interesting to see if the Luas depot / stop improves or other wise this situation.

Even further up closer to phibsboro there's groups who drink under the bridges. On a good day there a decent amount of other people using it. Runners and walkers etc. I wouldn't use it in the dark myself. Also its a lot slower than through the Park.

On a nice day especially in the morning its a nice (longer alternative). But only to castleknock train station on the way home, as said above the road is easier in D.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

beauf wrote: »
    Palmerstown bypass (2-3 lanes)
    Naas rd - (2-3 lanes)
    Drumcondra rd is similar to Navan Rd. But then its 5k from the city vs 14k, even rathfarnman is closer. Knocklyon is what 10k.

The future is far less cars in the city center. But closing the park to through traffic has a big impact, lets no pretend it doesn't. if it doesn't effect you, then its hardly an issue for you is it.

I don't see the rational of longer orbital routes WITHIN the park as having less impact on the amenity routes, than shorter ones. If you want to restrict the volume. Put a timed light on the shorter less obtrusive route. Making it a longer route within the park is counter productive.
    I don't understand what in my post you're replying to. It's worth noting that the Navan Road has only 3 lanes continuously running, so one bus lane to play around with.

I suspect the weekend closures will happen more and more, but I can't see how it could happen on weekdays without serious impact on Navan Road residents.

In general, is it feasible to widen blackhorse avenue on the western side, even where the 37 runs?

I quoted it :confused: no sure what you are asking me.

Blackhorse avenue seems under constant roadworks. Last I was on it, there was signal controlled one way system on it. I usually avoid it. So many speed bumps narrow twisty and lots of traffic. Would seem crazy to do anything with it, when not 50m away is a duplicate road with no width restrictions. Its just over the wall in the park. They closed both before at the same time, just because they could. (Public pressure I assume had it reopened).

Anyway they don't want cars in the city or the park. Which is fine. They just go a illogical way to achieve it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackhorse avenue also has that spot at the bottom of nephin road which seems to flood relatively regularly. i've heard stories that there's an underground stream there, which usually point to this house as evidence - it's much more obvious in the flesh, but check out the line of the roof compared to the houses beside it:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3628623,-6.3126632,3a,75y,9h,85.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sytfhVXWNMl53x9rXhg-V1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

beauf wrote: »
    Yeah you've duplicated routes on that. It can be summarized as follows.

I've edited the list

So you've one main road single lane. Two narrow back roads, both constrained by tiny villages, or just give up and go laterally down the motorway another area, because they have better access, via the M50 car park.

"just give up and go laterally down the motorway another area"

In other words, use a ring road as they are supposed to be used -- for trips like Blanch to the Port Tunnel or down the N1... that's not giving up that's using the motorway to avoid driving via the urban areas where people live as much as practice and, in many cases, also taking the quickest route to parts of the city centre.

Is the island mentality a requirement of living in D15? ;)

Seems like you're the one suggesting extreme routes for D15 only. Also ignoring large differences in road capacity and distance,not to mention current congestion. There certainly is an island mentality, but its not from me.

I reckon if the quays ever get a cycling infrastructure the opw will close the park to through traffic shortly after.

Advertisement