Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now; from sucklers?

Options
  • 20-01-2019 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Between beef prices, Leo’s silly comments on beef and our carbon footprint and the whole vegan epidemic that seems to be fashionable; it seems time has been called on the suckler cow. There are numerous men dropping out around me and most seem to be more or less abandoning any form of intensive agri. ( dairy excluded) I know of four or five lads with 10 or 20 cattle on 50-60 good acres and selling all surplus bales. Personally I have cut back on cow numbers and I’m going to try finish everything I breed myself but I don’t honestly think it’s going to be long term unless the figures truly shock me. We can’t all go contract rearing , dairy beef is worse than sucklers unless you get some one rear them to year and halves and let them take the hit. What are others doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Not planning on getting out of suckers but starting to consider exploring veg growing possibilities to spread the risk a bit on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This might finally be the tipping point for land prices, should land in non dairying parts be any more expensive than land for forestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    This might finally be the tipping point for land prices, should land in non dairying parts be any more expensive than land for forestry?

Forestry have increased what they pay for land & I can see this increasing with the big push for more plantations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Who2 wrote: »
    Between beef prices, Leo’s silly comments on beef and our carbon footprint and the whole vegan epidemic that seems to be fashionable; it seems time has been called on the suckler cow. There are numerous men dropping out around me and most seem to be more or less abandoning any form of intensive agri. ( dairy excluded) I know of four or five lads with 10 or 20 cattle on 50-60 good acres and selling all surplus bales. Personally I have cut back on cow numbers and I’m going to try finish everything I breed myself but I don’t honestly think it’s going to be long term unless the figures truly shock me. We can’t all go contract rearing , dairy beef is worse than sucklers unless you get some one rear them to year and halves and let them take the hit. What are others doing?

For top quality weanlings would you get more at the special sales than finishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Looking at some of the guys around me going out and they were mad into breeding fancy cattle. In the north it’s a bit better; cattle making £2/kg so round €2.22. But still for all the work it’s not leaving a lot. I suppose what’s pushing people out is the prospect of things getting worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

For top quality weanlings would you get more at the special sales than finishing?

I doubt it unless your going to start training and washing them. I really couldn’t see myself at that rooting. Homegrown will have settled and should be able to thrive on better, then knock the mart fees, transport and mix up of disease which they might come into contact and I reckon I should be around 100 ahead of the lad buying in general. Unless something drastic changes then the day of €3 a kg is over. Bulls should work out alright under 16m it’s just a pity there doesn’t seem to be a profitable way to finish the heifers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

About 25% of cows not gone back in calf, either too hot for the bulls on hilly ground or cows too lazy to stand up. No harm, will just cut numbers and maybe buy in a few weanlings (cheaper than breeding my own :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

Justjens wrote:
    No harm, will just cut numbers and maybe buy in a few weanlings (cheaper than breeding my own )

Stats dont back up that buying weanings is cheaper than breeding and finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Aravo wrote: »

I think it depends what your breeding at home.

If your in higher end breeding then you won’t buy this style of stock cheaper. You will buy cheaper weanlings ok but do they have the breeding to reach the weight gains. My experience is that these stylish growthy weanlings are rarely cheap, maybe occasionally but to buy any number you will pay.

Who2 wrote: »

Have been falling back in numbers here with off farm work and some health issues. The big problem is loosing momentum to do stuff like drainage and spreading lime. The extra numbers aren’t making much, but if they cover stuff like that it means allot to keeping a farm in good shape.
    If there was a really nice long term native forests planting scheme I’d be really looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    Have been falling back in numbers here with off farm work and some health issues. The big problem is loosing momentum to do stuff like drainage and spreading lime. The extra numbers aren’t making much, but if they cover stuff like that it means allot to keeping a farm in good shape.
    If there was a really nice long term native forests planting scheme I’d be really looking at it.

Like what Brian?

There is a native woodland option now for planting, the payment is for 15 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Aravo wrote: »

Hmmm, i'd love to see those "stats".

Like what Brian?

There is a native woodland option now for planting, the payment is for 15 years...

To convert a farm to native natural woodland this country owes farmers more than 15 years payment, it’s a pittance for what is being pledged for generations to benifet from in the future.
    This isn’t an ugly sika spruce plantation. This would be a proper asset which enhances the countryside and provides a refuge for wildlife.

We’re the least forested country in Europe, that says allot about what we are doing to grow forests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

_Brian wrote: »
    To convert a farm to native natural woodland this country owes farmers more than 15 years payment, it’s a pittance for what is being pledged for generations to benifet from in the future.
    This isn’t an ugly sika spruce plantation. This would be a proper asset which enhances the countryside and provides a refuge for wildlife.

We’re the least forested country in Europe, that says allot about what we are doing to grow forests.

The govermnent should have a grant for purebred charolais cattle too. Much better looking than the ugly holsteins and kiwi crosses.:pac:mnay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think we should all consider planting area's of land that are poorer quality. Reacently talking to a lad who has about 10 acres of forrestry. It was never thinned and is now about 28 years old. He intends to clearfell it. He was unwilling to thin it over the years because of the cost involved. He has had it accessed and there will be a lot of pallet wood in the stand. He was advised that he he will clear 7k+/acre. His opinion was that it was worth replanting and clearfelling every 25-30 years. He intends to repland the 10 acres and about another 5-8 acres of wetish land he own's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

10 acres is 4 hec.

He is getting 7k a hec. So 28k now plus he has to replant it.

So less and 1k per year after the last 28 years? (Ignoring inflation).

He would be much better off thinning it an letting it mature. Pallet wood doesn’t really pay well. It’s only growing into money. Clearfell it now and he will never see another penny from it (his kids or relations might).

893bet wrote: »
    10 acres is 4 hec.

He is getting 7k a hec. So 28k now plus he has to replant it.

So less and 1k per year after the last 28 years? (Ignoring inflation).

He would be much better off thinning it an letting it mature. Pallet wood doesn’t really pay well. It’s only growing into money. Clearfell it now and he will never see another penny from it (his kids or relations might).

Sorry7K+/acre price of pallett wood very strong at present his was a small amount of forrestry and it was not viable to thin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Sorry7K+/acre price of pallett wood very strong at present his was a small amount of forrestry and it was not viable to thin

Pallet wood price is not paticularly strong.

Around 20 a tonne. Saw log would be treble that easily if they let it mature.

If it’s viable to clear fell then it’s viable to thin. They may not make any money from thinnings but it will pay for itself in the additional growth.

Forests are thinned for a reason. Not sure who is advising him. Will a roadway be needed? Can he get a grant? What’s the access like?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Now that suckler cow numbers are falling and mood is for more to go, it’s probsbly a good time to increase numbers particularly on the quality end of cows.

If I had a € for every time I heard or read about the imminent demise of the suckler I’d be well off today.

In business when the crowd is going all in one direction, it’s time to walk the other way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;'

- Rudyard Kipland

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

'If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;'

- Rudyard Kipland

"Irish men run to gunfire as salmon to the sea"

if you replace gunfire with beef farming he probably got that one right too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

grassroot1 wrote: »
    "Irish men run to gunfire as salmon to the sea"

if you replace gunfire with beef farming he probably got that one right too:D

Jeez there's a lot of prose around tonight altogether ..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think we should all consider planting area's of land that are poorer quality. Reacently talking to a lad who has about 10 acres of forrestry. It was never thinned and is now about 28 years old. He intends to clearfell it. He was unwilling to thin it over the years because of the cost involved. He has had it accessed and there will be a lot of pallet wood in the stand. He was advised that he he will clear 7k+/acre. His opinion was that it was worth replanting and clearfelling every 25-30 years. He intends to repland the 10 acres and about another 5-8 acres of wetish land he own's

Will he clear €7000 after the cost of replanting

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Now that suckler cow numbers are falling and mood is for more to go, it’s probsbly a good time to increase numbers particularly on the quality end of cows.

If I had a € for every time I heard or read about the imminent demise of the suckler I’d be well off today.

In business when the crowd is going all in one direction, it’s time to walk the other way!!

I think you might be right. Same thing with sheep a few years ago when a lot o people got out, anyone that stayed with sheep stuck with them so they can't be all that bad. Tillage gone the same way with most lads converting to dairy with huge investments & 7 days a week commitment. Another couple of years they be pulling out of dairy to join the next fad. Would be a shame to lose the suckler sector, serious stock been bred that weigh & grade real well when on the hock unlike the dairy stock. I am not knocking the dairy stock but it a shame to see the suckler herds disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Should we talk about the elephant in the room? Scale.

You wouldn’t try and make a living off 20 dairy cows but a lot would want to do it with that many sucklers.

Perhaps it’s not the suckler cow that is the endangered species but the suckler farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Most guys that have or had suckler in my area (midlands)are or were doing tillage also. The sugar beet was a major loss to these farmers. The beet was great to boost the income as it was a steady price. If the sucklers or corn were a poor price the beet would keep things going. Since then there has been no cushion for the rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Often hear the auld fella saying when everyone other lad is running you walk and when everyone is walking run....very true words i've often found out

wrangler wrote: »
    Will he clear €7000 after the cost of replanting

My understanding is that replanting costs are 1k/acre(2.5K/HA). Cannot remember whether the 7K was after replanting costs. His thinking on thinning was that because it was a small site there was too much risk of messing in the thinning process. My understanding is that a very high percentage are suitable for pallet wood. It will be about two years before clear felling as a fellling licience has to be applied for and an access road. Like i said he intends to add another 5-8 acres. He considers a 30year no thinning cycle more advantageous to smaller plots. I have heard stories of lads having there plots ruined by cowboy thinners and often recieving no money for thinnings. There is also talk about a replanting grant.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Should we talk about the elephant in the room? Scale.

You wouldn’t try and make a living off 20 dairy cows but a lot would want to do it with that many sucklers.

Perhaps it’s not the suckler cow that is the endangered species but the suckler farmer.

At milk price atm, for men with unused parlours in this area, 20 cows is bringing in a wage.

Couple of locals have rid their 20 or 30 suckler and replaced them with milkers.

For mid sized farms like here their is a turn in dairying 20 cows as opposed to 200 cows.

As is known, if quality and efficiency is kept high, there is a turn, compared to being a busy fool with a big herd and bad profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

tanko wrote:
    Hmmm, i'd love to see those "stats".

Stats have been checked and I am "mistaken". Will I get a MOD warning.
    Teagasc eprofit monitor analysis 2017. Basically breeding and selling as weanlings or stores is the least profitable. Coming in best is buying and finishing and just behind this is breeding and finishing.

Advertisement