Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a way to make it feesable to opt out the godie back ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

tunney wrote: »
    I am not one who rushes to the defense of TI too regularly these days but.......

TI's concern is its members not OD people. The pricing scheme for ODs should be okay for *one* race, but not encourage people to do more than that without joining.

Perhaps you are right but I had encouraged a young lad who swims with me to enter Sligo as a first race to try it out, I told him 40 euros for the race and then he rings me that day when he is booking it and says he is being charged 65 for the race and wouldn't pay it. So I expect unless his circumstances change he wont be doing anything triathlon related this year.

Perhaps a more proactive approach by TI for your first ever race at a one off discounted ODM

A one day license that costs 62.5% of the race entry price is BS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

catweazle wrote: »

chose the wrong race, plenty of races listed above that will make that % seem much more reasonable.

seriously though, the amount of one and done triathlons is huge, while i don't agree with the cost i'm not one bit surprised TI are looking to maximise profits from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

catweazle wrote: »
    Perhaps you are right but I had encouraged a young lad who swims with me to enter Sligo as a first race to try it out, I told him 40 euros for the race and then he rings me that day when he is booking it and says he is being charged 65 for the race and wouldn't pay it. So I expect unless his circumstances change he wont be doing anything triathlon related this year.

Perhaps a more proactive approach by TI for your first ever race at a one off discounted ODM

I think people need to look at non TI sanctioned events for dipping their toes. Not sure on the west coast but there are definitely some in the greater Dublin area such as King of Greystones and some club events that are organised as "training" events so can be done as part of the 3 guest training sessions that someone can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ShineyShiney

What's a fair return for a club or commercial event to make from running a Triathlon?

How much would you think your club or you should profit if you take on running an event?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mossym wrote: »
    seriously though, the amount of one and done triathlons is huge, while i don't agree with the cost i'm not one bit surprised TI are looking to maximise profits from it
    I don't see the issue with the day licence cost - it makes no sense to do 3 (or more) races on a one day licences for the same cost as a full race licence. There's probably additional benefits for TI from having more signed up members than profiteering on one day licences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue with the day licence cost - it makes no sense to do 3 (or more) races on a one day licences for the same cost as a full race licence. There's probably additional benefits for TI from having more signed up members than profiteering on one day licences.

maybe it doesn't. but if i was trying to incentive's people into the sport, i;d make their first one free/low cost to get them involved and whet their appetite, then start charging the higher fees to get them to join.

there was a reason drug dealers gave teh first samples for free...get em hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    I am not one who rushes to the defense of TI too regularly these days but.......

TI's concern is its members not OD people. The pricing scheme for ODs should be okay for *one* race, but not encourage people to do more than that without joining.

i would think there is a truth in both what you and mossy say.

still compared with about 8 euro for a one day license in the uk
    25 euro is really high certainly for under 30 year old this is a high barrier and this is the people the sport needs .
    its fine for the 50 -60 hour working week people that are on 60 000 plus a year but for a student or entry level employee. this is a lot.

so the solution could be for under 30s its 5 euro one day license for the first 3 races you do
    and for over 30s its more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The AGM is coming up on April 1st, any good ideas should be polished up a bit and submitted. In my limited experience they listen, if you shout loud enough and in a way they can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

peter kern wrote: »
    is there a way to make it feesable to opt out the godie back ?

Looks like there is a way, all it took was a global pandemic! New TI guidelines say no promo items in race pack at registration, no medal ceremony, any prizes to be mailed out after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if I bring one more backpack home from a race covid is the least of my problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement