Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a way to make it feesable to opt out the godie back ?

Options
  • 30-01-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

in the other thread it was very clear that the race organicer felt they need shiny stuff to get people to enter. this comes at the cost of people that dont want to pay for shiny stuff.
    is there a reaistic way, make both people happy?
    that is not too hard for race organicers to mange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

The organisizers bulk buy the goods which keep their overheads down. If they dont know how many will opt in or out its harder for them to budget id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

The sprint in North Tipp (Lough Derg I think) around 2/3 years ago had an option to get a T shirt. From memory the race was 25 euro to enter with the T shirt an extra 10 euro. You could get one when you entered or when you got there you could order one. A sprint race with a T shirt for 35 euro is great value. It didn't look like they cut corners anywhere either, well organised race with a great feed at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

When you sign up to a race on TI, you enter a tshirt size before payment. This "freebie" is then included in your overall payment... for the life of me I can't see why a cost can't be applied to the tshirt, so one can opt in or out. If organisers need to know sizing numbers before ordering, they would just order the correct amount for those willing to pay.

Extra money for shiny goodie bags might encourage some newbies, but they also discourage regular entrants. I didn't enter HOTW because of the price rise, did enter Carlow as its one of our targeted Club races (but it won't be if its still the same price next year). I'm only interested in how well a race is organised (Carlow is well organised with a good bonus of closed roads). If I want a tshirt I'll buy one, if I want a medal I'll earn one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

DCT 2015 had the option of buying a tshirt while giving a great Amphibia bag. The tshirts were realy nice too, saying that I didn't buy one but it would be interesting to see how many they sold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DCT 2015 had the option of buying a tshirt while giving a great Amphibia bag. The tshirts were realy nice too, saying that I didn't buy one but it would be interesting to see how many they sold

Do Amphibia actually sell anything or is it always just given away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

pot p wrote: »
    The organisizers bulk buy the goods which keep their overheads down. If they dont know how many will opt in or out its harder for them to budget id imagine.

the issues here is people racing a lot 10 times. 10 or 20 euro extra for the shinny stuff adds up .So in a way clubs have to find a way to keep those people happy.
    5 euro extra entrnace fee for less bulk order would not matter much for the one or 2 race a year people ( and if it does they could opt out)
    the main issue is obviously lead times to order stuff but iam sure there is a save ratio to be found out ie iam sure 50 % of people prefer not to pay for a goodie bag. for races like kilkee it might be 60% and for races like athy 45 % but it would be that hard to find out and its better to have a few%wrong than half the field .
    fact is some people want the shinny stuff and some dont.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

peter kern wrote: »

The thing is, I think, those who don't want the shiny stuff will still race whether it is provided or not as they want to race...whereas the people who do want the shiny stuff will just do a different race that does provide shiny stuff if it isn't provided by race A.
    So, makes more sense for organisers to provide it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

tunney wrote: »
    Do Amphibia actually sell anything or is it always just given away?

Yep bought a pair of their toe thingies just a few weeks ago

The thing is, I think, those who don't want the shiny stuff will still race whether it is provided or not as they want to race...whereas the people who do want the shiny stuff will just do a different race that does provide shiny stuff if it isn't provided by race A.
    So, makes more sense for organisers to provide it I guess.

€60 for a sprint? No, thank you...

both posts written by the same person... so there is at least yourself.

€60 for a sprint? No, thank you...

both posts written by the same person... so there is at least yourself.

I'm not sure why you quoted my other post? I'm still not doing Carlow, nor would I at that price while other races provide the same thing significantly cheaper. I don't agree with the price rise and wouldn't do it at that price, I don't think there is any justification for it.
    Just trying to understand the reason why they made their decision. That's what we are discussing here, no? What I've said in another thread is completely irrelevant to me what I'm contributing to on the similar discussion on this thread...

Your post above and the purpose of this thread now makes no sense to me based on this. What are we actually discussing here so if I can't say I wouldn't do the race in one thread and then, while still not doing the race at the inflated price, contribute to the discussion regarding goody bags etc?? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

the issues here is people racing a lot 10 times. 10 or 20 euro extra for the shinny stuff adds up .So in a way clubs have to find a way to keep those people happy.
    5 euro extra entrnace fee for less bulk order would not matter much for the one or 2 race a year people ( and if it does they could opt out)
    the main issue is obviously lead times to order stuff but iam sure there is a save ratio to be found out ie iam sure 50 % of people prefer not to pay for a goodie bag. for races like kilkee it might be 60% and for races like athy 45 % but it would be that hard to find out and its better to have a few%wrong than half the field .

Lead time and logistics are considerations all right (crazy really when a committee have enough to do working on the race, but there you go...).
    One solution might be to take the seasoned racers out of any equation.
    Early bird entry: €40 no goodie bag/tshirt/medallion/branded underpants
    <4 months before event: €60 including whatever you're having

At registration- "welcome back Mr. Kerns, here is your timing chip and no voucher, have a good race. Hello Mr. Newbie, here is your timing chip and voucher which can be redeemed at the goodie bag/tshirt/medallion/branded underpants table..."

you said that people that dont want the bling enter those races.

and thats why i quoted you
    you said you are not entering because of the price increase.

I'm not sure why you quoted my other post? I'm still not doing Carlow, nor would I at that price while other races provide the same thing significantly cheaper. I don't agree with the price rise and wouldn't do it at that price, I don't think there is any justification for it.
    Just trying to understand the reason why they made their decision. That's what we are discussing here, no? What I've said in another thread is completely irrelevant to me what I'm contributing to on the similar discussion on this thread...

Your post above and the purpose of this thread now makes no sense to me based on this. What are we actually discussing here so if I can't say I wouldn't do the race in one thread and then, while still not doing the race at the inflated price, contribute to the discussion regarding goody bags etc?? :confused::confused:

I think there's a lost in translation here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

for races like athy 45 % but it would be that hard to find out and its better to have a few%wrong than half the field
    I think Athy is an opt in/ extra for the T shirt as it is. I went for it anyway, as I do use them!

However, optional T shirts must add to the admin/ organisational burden on clubs, so maybe that's why the commercial ones offer it more. An whether the TI website is a potential problem with doing this (from memory, every race gives the T shirt option, even when they're not actually offered in a goodie bag!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What about a race with no goodie bag, just a timing chip and a race number, and a bitta grub at the end. Shave the cost as lean as possible but maybe no market for it?

Companies lobbing 'free' samples into goodie bags - Kinetica, hi5, Flahavans, Kellogs, chia bia, powerbar blah blah blah - along with their endless flyers and marketing drivel - if they're not actively offsetting the cost of the race via a financial contribution, just be done with 'em. The most common end result seems to be a litter headache for a race organiser anyway.

Fair dues to CTC and Lost Sheep last year - race entry (which was good value for the distance) included a useful kit bag with a slab of Heineken inside and a set of gels for race day. No other BS.

Having talked to a few about this- clubs putting up prices to pay for extra bling, to attract bling-collectors... are damaging their club name with other clubs. Sorry to be blunt, but its as blunt as that. The "goodie bag" is a useless pile of tat, for it to have become such an integral part of a race shows the organiser has taken their eye off the ball. You're sort of pi$$ing all over other club races who keep their prices down low, because they know their audience is 90% made up of repeat club athletes looking for a well run race, period.

the race exists , bray aquathon .. but at the same time since i hear more complaints about race entries fees ,i dont see the race increase its numbers ( 15 euro entry and great soup and sandwiches after the race) ... so unfortunately the reality is its not really like great cheap races get awarded for being that.
    would be great to see more people at the bray aquathon. its probably the best value multisport event in Ireland and very well organiced too.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What about a race with no goodie bag, just a timing chip and a race number, and a bitta grub at the end. Shave the cost as lean as possible but maybe no market for it?

Companies lobbing 'free' samples into goodie bags - Kinetica, hi5, Flahavans, Kellogs, chia bia, powerbar blah blah blah - along with their endless flyers and marketing drivel - if they're not actively offsetting the cost of the race via a financial contribution, just be done with 'em. The most common end result seems to be a litter headache for a race organiser anyway.

Fair dues to CTC and Lost Sheep last year - race entry (which was good value for the distance) included a useful kit bag with a slab of Heineken inside and a set of gels for race day. No other BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Like the race, went to all three last year and plan to do this year as well but that's not a chipped race + running is done on a path where pedestrians walk as well DURING the race - those two seem to be the biggest remarks that I heard from people not so enthusiastic about the race as I am....
    the race exists , bray aquathon .. but at the same time since i hear more complaints about race entries fees ,i dont see the race increase its numbers ( 15 euro entry and great soup and sandwiches after the race) ... so unfortunately the reality is its not really like great cheap races get awarded for being that.
    would be great to see more people at the bray aquathon. its probably the best value multisport event in Ireland and very well organiced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Having talked to a few about this- clubs putting up prices to pay for extra bling, to attract bling-collectors... are damaging their club name with other clubs. Sorry to be blunt, but its as blunt as that. The "goodie bag" is a useless pile of tat, for it to have become such an integral part of a race shows the organiser has taken their eye off the ball. You're sort of pi$$ing all over other club races who keep their prices down low, because they know their audience is 90% made up of repeat club athletes looking for a well run race, period.

Jesus P. at best that post is hysterical and at worst an attempt to damage race organisers' reputation. A race committee makes a decision in good faith that you don't agree with and as a result it's 'pi$$ing all over other club races'. What 'ball' exactly have race organisers taken their eye off by catering for occasional racers?

Your disdain for beginners and box tickers is well known (not withstanding your own box ticking in Hardman later this year) but like it or not not every race entrant takes racing as seriously as you do - I certainty don't. The simple answer here is if you think a race is too expensive or you don't like how it's organised don't enter it, vote with your wallet. I criticised HOTW for its increased entry fee, but I didn't slag off the organisers who got up off their arses to organise the race. I probably wouldn't pay €60 for a sprint but that's my choice. I've paid the stupid money to race an IM branded race but haven't been back, primarily because of cost. I'd never do Lough Cultra (€70 for a sprint this year) but I recall you have - choice. The 250 who registered for Carlow over the weekend made that same choice (as did the 1,000+ people who have done IM Dublin each year despite the negative threads in this forum on the race). Similarly if you don't like the organisation, course, etc. don't enter.

If you feel that strongly about it ask TI to impose a maximum price on races or better still get together with the few people you've been talking to about the issue and organise your own race. Don't have a go at people who have given up huge amounts of time for free to organise a race for 500+ people so as to give something back to the sport and to raise funds for a very small tri club.

If Carlow goes ahead again in 2018 (and with all club races there's always an 'if') it's likely not to be NS again given some of the developments that have occurred with other races in the region. Perhaps then it'll have to sink or swim on its own merits without the added attraction of being an NS race, but I have to say I'd be hesitant about getting involved in race organisation again.

i think you are overreacting a bit here. you can of course disagree with what he said ,but this thread is about do we need to charge for goodie bags for people that dont wont them and at no point did kurt single out a race in this thread.

I think kurt made a very valid point earlier on how to make races cheaper for the frequent racers and give nebiews and bling hunters what they want.

its more the question is that feasable for clubs that already have to think about many other things ,and at then end of the day would people race more if they could opt out of goddie bags that increase the entry fees ( and if so that would help races that struggle for entrants)

Personally iam not sure if it is a good thing if Ti would give entry price guidlines, especially since TI Is certainly not an impartial organisation having sponosrs that have interests that can be different to members . at the end its also federations that are responsible that international Itu races are so expensive ( with inflated uniform prices etc, etc )
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Jesus P. at best that post is hysterical and at worst an attempt to damage race organisers' reputation. A race committee makes a decision in good faith that you don't agree with and as a result it's 'pi$$ing all over other club races'. What 'ball' exactly have race organisers taken their eye off by catering for occasional racers?

Your disdain for beginners and box tickers is well known (not withstanding your own box ticking in Hardman later this year) but like it or not not every race entrant takes racing as seriously as you do - I certainty don't. The simple answer here is if you think a race is too expensive or you don't like how it's organised don't enter it, vote with your wallet. I criticised HOTW for its increased entry fee, but I didn't slag off the organisers who got up off their arses to organise the race. I probably wouldn't pay €60 for a sprint but that's my choice. I've paid the stupid money to race an IM branded race but haven't been back, primarily because of cost. I'd never do Lough Cultra (€70 for a sprint this year) but I recall you have - choice. The 250 who registered for Carlow over the weekend made that same choice (as did the 1,000+ people who have done IM Dublin each year despite the negative threads in this forum on the race). Similarly if you don't like the organisation, course, etc. don't enter.

If you feel that strongly about it ask TI to impose a maximum price on races or better still get together with the few people you've been talking to about the issue and organise your own race. Don't have a go at people who have given up huge amounts of time for free to organise a race for 500+ people so as to give something back to the sport and to raise funds for a very small tri club.

If Carlow goes ahead again in 2018 (and with all club races there's always an 'if') it's likely not to be NS again given some of the developments that have occurred with other races in the region. Perhaps then it'll have to sink or swim on its own merits without the added attraction of being an NS race, but I have to say I'd be hesitant about getting involved in race organisation again.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »

I don't know how to respond to this! There's no point defending myself against things I didn't say (beginners etc). My point was directed at the growing number of club races that are adding expensive bells and whistles- to the growing annoyance of their core group of entrants (at least according to the many I've discussed this with over the past few years- although maybe I just attract annoying people...). There's no need for you to take it specific at Carlow- I've made it clear elsewhere what I think of Carlows organisation- it was a general point based on the topic of this thread. "Pi$$ing all over" wasn't a great choice of words (I really meant "pi$$ing off") but I do think race organisers are taking their collective eye off the ball by adding unnecessary cost in the form of expensive bling. Its a spiral effect as other clubs races feel obliged to reciprocate.

Good luck in organising your race, I'm looking forward to it! You can have the last laugh anyway by DQ'ing me for a trans violation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

My point was directed at the growing number of club races that are adding expensive bells and whistles- to the growing annoyance of their core group of entrants (at least according to the many I've discussed this with over the past few years- although maybe I just attract annoying people...). There's no need for you to take it specific at Carlow- I've made it clear elsewhere what I think of Carlows organisation- it was a general point based on the topic of this thread. "Pi$$ing all over" wasn't a great choice of words (I really meant "pi$$ing off") but I do think race organisers are taking their collective eye off the ball by adding unnecessary cost in the form of expensive bling. Its a spiral effect as other clubs races feel obliged to reciprocate.

I agree with your general point to some great degree (and accept it wasn't directly solely at Carlow). I think the increase in some race prices to cover t-shirts etc. is a mistake and I've said elsewhere that I think it was a mistake my own race made. My point that entrants need to vote with their feet / wallets still stands, don't do races that you don't think are good value.

In the main race organisers make decisions in good faith and so as to ensure they sell as many places as possible, whilst the 'core group' of racers you mention may not be happy with the decisions, they are not the only entry market races are chasing. Cast your mind back to Carlow last year (or any other race for that matter) and remember wave 7. Wave 7 was the 'slowest' wave - the once off racers, the occasional racers, the people who wanted to tick a box, the groups of friends who got together and decided to give a tri a go, the hybrid riders, the people who wanted the T-shirt - this was the wave that generated the race profit that went back into the club. Without that wave we would struggle to make the race pay for itself unless we cut corners or down-scaled the event.
    Good luck in organising your race, I'm looking forward to it! You can have the last laugh anyway by DQ'ing me for a trans violation :)

As long as it's not a nudity violation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I think its a very small minority of the triathlon market that have issues with pricing.

I'm basing this on the numbers who have entered high price races year after year in Ireland. Ironman Galway, Ironman Dublin, Challenge Galway and Lough Cutra are probably the headliners.

Against this you have Hardman and Swinford. Good races but low numbers even though you could save yourself a couple of hundred. ( absolutely no disrespect intended to these really great events).

I know there are exceptions to this like lost sheep but it doesn't take much away from the point.

Secondly lots of races offer really good offers, club discounts, early birds etc but my experience of my own events is that only a small % of the field on race day will have taken these options.

Last year I entered Lough Cutra Olympic for €38 on a great special offer, it was available to everyone but I have spoken to very few who availed of it.

I do not think a decision to remove Bling would go down well with the majority at registration in my events. Collecting your tshirt seems to be one of the highlights for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I think its a very small minority of the triathlon market that have issues with pricing.

I'm basing this on the numbers who have entered high price races year after year in Ireland. Ironman Galway, Ironman Dublin, Challenge Galway and Lough Cutra are probably the headliners.

Against this you have Hardman and Swinford. Good races but low numbers even though you could save yourself a couple of hundred. ( absolutely no disrespect intended to these really great events).

I know there are exceptions to this like lost sheep but it doesn't take much away from the point.

Secondly lots of races offer really good offers, club discounts, early birds etc but my experience of my own events is that only a small % of the field on race day will have taken these options.

Last year I entered Lough Cutra Olympic for €38 on a great special offer, it was available to everyone but I have spoken to very few who availed of it.

I do not think a decision to remove Bling would go down well with the majority at registration in my events. Collecting your tshirt seems to be one of the highlights for a lot of people.

I wouldn't agree with the statement that it is only a very small minority that have a problem with pricing. Granted you're far more likely to get negative comments in such situations, but the overwhelming majority of people who reacted to the price increase for HOTW were anything but supportive of it.

The races you list "Ironman Galway, Ironman Dublin, Challenge Galway and Lough Cutra" are all run by commercial enterprises. Honestly, what else would you expect, but high entry fees, from organisations whose raison d'être is profit?

I concede the point, that despite the entry fees, they are all still extremely popular. But for many, I'd say it was the only triathlon they did all year. I might be wrong, but I'd say most of the participants at these events don't make up the year round triathlon market in Ireland.

Claiming that people don't have an issue with the pricing of races is a bit like saying people who pay higher rents or spiraling car insurance premiums don't have an issue with these things either.

While I believe clubs are fully entitled to charge what they like for their races, you would hope that it is not solely for profit that they run them. Surely the club members who put on the race, would appreciate low entry fees at other races around the country. It seems to be more and more the case that they see what the for profit companies charge, and let this influence their pricing.

There's nothing wrong with people going to races to collect bling, but if it's forcing clubs into raising entry costs, I don't think they should go chasing this side of the market.

You mention you run your own events, where getting rid of bling would prove unpopular. What events are these? If it meant lower entry costs, I don't think anybody I train with would care too much if goody bags/T-shirts were done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Hi Zico, I enjoy your training log congrats on KQ

Claiming that people don't have an issue with the pricing of races is a bit like saying people who pay higher rents or spiraling car insurance premiums don't have an issue with these things either.

I'm not claiming this.

People who choose to pay higher rents or car insurance when similar is available at 35% would be a much better analogy. But its not my point.

I'm claiming that it appears that those that do have an issue are a small part of the overall triathlon market as evidenced by the large numbers of people who consistently enter the most expensive races when there are many alternatives.

I am not saying its right or that I agree with them but the figures kinda back up my point. You point out that many of these people are not likely to be regular racers but the club gear in evidence at these events would suggest at least some buy in by regular triathlon racers and I know lots of participants in these races who are regular racers across the tri club scene.

There will be plenty of them at kilkee this year despite €90 entry fees.

As long as the major races in the country offer bling then the expectation will be that you get bling at every triathlon Imo or risk that your event is in some way perceived as an inferior race.

I kinda like the idea of opt out of tshirt early for cheaper entry, think I could give this a go.

Just went to register for Two Provinces and see it is €55. Cancelled registration. Caroline Kearney at €60 for an olympic is pretty much the limit of what I'm willing to pay for an olympic - I would say €50 at a push is my limit for a sprint. €40, I think, would be more realistic - in my uninformed opinion, since I have no idea how much it costs to host a race.
    I did Athy and Athlone in my first season and can't remember what I paid for them, but at the time, I also wasn't aware of what prices I should expect to be paying/that other races came significantly cheaper.

Would be interesting to see the costs associated with putting on races (base costs without the extras for goody bags) so we could get a more informed viewpoint of what we should be willing to pay.
    Something that has stuck in my mind for some time is when Ironman Galway folded, the IM Galway team said that it cost more to host a race in Ireland that it did elsewhere...if this is the case it is something that likely affects running/triathlon and cycling, most likely

Be interesting to see what other people are happy to pay for a sprint and olympic?

OK, so I compared the prices of sprints that are showing on TI website - prices ranging from €35 - €70!

Race| Cost| Top Included
    Carlow| 60 |yes
    Lough Cutra| 70 |extra
    Athy| 50 |extra
    James McManus| 40 |yes
    Salthill June| 40 |yes
    Up the Creek| 45 |don't know
    Centra Fastnet| 45 |yes
    City of Derry| 50 |yes
    Mullaghmore| 50 |don't know
    Westport| 47.5 |don't know
    Hook or by Crook| 45 |yes
    Blessington| 42 |don't know
    Browns Bay| 40 |yes
    Two provinces| 55 |don't know
    Kilkenny| 45 |don't know
    Glenarm| £35/~€40 |don't know
    iTri sprint| 45 |yes
    King of the Hill| 45 |don't know
    Lakeside| 50 |don't know
    Tyrone| 35 |don't know
    Lets Tri Cavan| 50 |yes
    Carrick on Suir| 40 |don't know
    Tri Kingdom Come| 50 |don't know
    Loughrea| 55 |yes
    Blackwater| 42.5 |yes
    Lough Neagh| 50 |yes
    Omey Dash| 35 |yes
    Portaferry| 45 |yes
    Tri the Hook| 45 |yes
    DCT| 60 |yes
    Mourne| £40/~€46 |don't know
    NRG Salthill August| 40 |yes
    Glin| 40 |don't know
    Skerries| 50 |yes
    Dungarvan| 42 |yes
    Athlone Sprint| 45 |don't know
    The GOAT| 50 |don't know
    Moby Dick| 45 |don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now with me racing long the last few years I had lost touch with prices. The pain for me was seeing that the One day licence has now become 25 euros......25 euros............... the two races I entered were 40 each!

TI are total screw merchants if you ask me - how is charging prices like that encouraging new entrants to the sport

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing a TI license as well for fear I might get swept away with enthusiasm and enter a 3rd race but it left a bitter taste in my mouth doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hardman Olympic for €50 and half for €100 seem like the trend towards crazy prices is not being observed everywhere. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    Now with me racing long the last few years I had lost touch with prices. The pain for me was seeing that the One day licence has now become 25 euros......25 euros............... the two races I entered were 40 each!

TI are total screw merchants if you ask me - how is charging prices like that encouraging new entrants to the sport

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing a TI license as well for fear I might get swept away with enthusiasm and enter a 3rd race but it left a bitter taste in my mouth doing it

I am not one who rushes to the defense of TI too regularly these days but.......

TI's concern is its members not OD people. The pricing scheme for ODs should be okay for *one* race, but not encourage people to do more than that without joining.

Advertisement