Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

AdamD wrote: »
    Hes a **** for staying 4 hours? Genuinely what difference does it make whether hes there 105 minutes or 4 hours? These are arbitrary rules with no basis in science and people are lapping it up. Any excuse to curtain twitch I suppose

They’re the rules. If we all just pick and choose which ones we want to follow to suit ourselves then life becomes anarchy. Pure and utter selfishness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

When the pubs open next week, will there be time limits for customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you're paying chefs and wait staff but can give up a table to people who don't even bother to order food and let them keep it for 6 hours it doesn't sound like your gastro pub is doing all that great reopening.
    Also places like that are extremely selfish. You say pointless not to go ahead with phase 4 as it only allows gastro pubs like that one, which would clearly struggle if all pubs were open if it only served < 5 meals in 6 hours to a busy crowd, to keep more customers but it is exactly pubs like that flaunting the rules that could end up pushing phase 4 back and ruining other businesses and staff's livelihoods in the industry.

The restaurant is upstairs. Downstairs is the pub. You can get food in the pub, but I only ever see people eating around lunch time. That place is cleaning up with drinkers who would normally be elsewhere as the 8 of us would have been.
    That pub and its like will have no impact on Phase 4. It is the stupid pubs that have no possibility of serving food and still opened that fell foul of the regulations.
    Looking forward to being back in my local Monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

statesaver wrote: »
    When the pubs open next week, will there be time limits for customers ?

Doubt it. They will be roundly ignored and impossibly to police if there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hes a **** for staying 4 hours? Genuinely what difference does it make whether hes there 105 minutes or 4 hours? These are arbitrary rules with no basis in science and people are lapping it up. Any excuse to curtain twitch I suppose

As a Cork publican said:
    “To my mind, it’s only civil servants who could have made up these regulations because they are totally impractical and totally unenforceable - I’d rather stay closed until September if needs be to open properly for my locals and not end up alienating them with these regulations.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was going to go to Kilmurry Lodge Hotel to watch the second half of the Spurs match. Woman on the door said I'll have to buy €9 worth of food in conjunction with my first drink. She wasn't amused when I said there is eating and drinking in pints of stout.

After watching the match online, it was better to not be in the bar.

I can't understand how that woman just back at work and dealing with d1ckeads who dont understand the rules didnt find your witty banter funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Imagine all the sexually frustrated single people that will be out looking for some action.
    All those women looking to take advantage of poor helpless fellas. Think I’ll stay a home of another week after they reopen till things settle down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you stay twice as long you have twice the chance of being diseased.
    You can eat un that tine, extra tine would be mostly drinking and drunkards will surely spread this virus.

The facts speak for themselves, bars are big source of transmission internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just home from local pub. Got our Sunday dinner and a pint. Perfectly safe and much credit due to the owners. Unfortunately while we were chatting to the publican he told us that the local Heineken service rep was there during the week. He told him they don't expect pub's to be allowed open until the original phase date in August. He said they received mail from health department advising them to scale back production for the time being. Even at that he was telling us the restrictions that will be in place will ensure that the pub experience will be diluted (excuse the pun) heavily, and will probably turn off the casual drinker from going for his/her weekly couple of drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just home from local pub. Got our Sunday dinner and a pint. Perfectly safe and much credit due to the owners. Unfortunately while we were chatting to the publican he told us that the local Heineken service rep was there during the week. He told him they don't expect pub's to be allowed open until the original phase date in August. He said they received mail from health department advising them to scale back production for the time being. Even at that he was telling us the restrictions that will be in place will ensure that the pub experience will be diluted (excuse the pun) heavily, and will probably turn off the casual drinker from going for his/her weekly couple of drinks.

Mad how Heineken know before the public...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Service Rep would not be privy to such information and if he was he would be under instruction not to discuss it outside the company.

That sounds a bit like the WhatsApp’s floating around before lockdown that the army were mobilising in Dublin port to tear gas the queues at Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

They’re the rules. If we all just pick and choose which ones we want to follow to suit ourselves then life becomes anarchy. Pure and utter selfishness.

There have been plenty of rules throughout history, would you have followed them all? Would you support all the rules in various countries around the world??

It doesn't lead to anarchy to question arbitrary rules. It's a sensible check and balance. We've heard a lot of "science" over the past few months and not all has been right..

jt69er wrote: »
    Service Rep would not be privy to such information and if he was he would be under instruction not to discuss it outside the company.

Possibly, I'm only repeating what the bar owner told us. On a side note I changed pub's this weekend. The one I went to last week had put the price of a pint up by 25 cent which I thought was very opportunistic. Was disappointing to say the least....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Possibly, I'm only repeating what the bar owner told us. On a side note I changed pub's this weekend. The one I went to last week had put the price of a pint up by 25 cent which I thought was very opportunistic. Was disappointing to say the least....

Agreed, was that on all pints? Breweries haven't raised their prices, some have extended their terms of credit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed, was that on all pints? Breweries haven't raised their prices, some have extended their terms of credit.

I've been in three pubs between lunch and dinner the past two weeks.

They all have extra staff, and reduced capacity, so more cost.

Are people seriously begrudgingly 25 cent extra on a pint?

Food wise none of the three places I've been in have changed their prices

All drinks seemed to have gone up. My wife's g and t was also gone up. The feeling we were left with is that the cost of even going out for one night a week, with no meal, would be very expensive (especially when you include the cost of a taxi there and back). It's part of the reason I'm so dead set against this massive staycation campaign. I say that as someone who generally likes to shop Irish and support Irish businesses. However if this pub is a typical example of how our establishments are behaving why would I bother staying in Ireland when I can go to Portugal, guaranteed lovely weather and cheap meals and three euro pints? We work hard every week for our money. Therefore value for money is essential. Being ripped off on the price of a pint is not value for money so I'll take my money where it's more appreciated.
    My own local which is due to open next week does not serve food. It's a real locals bar, pint is one of the best in the county and it's as cheap as you could get in this country. Can't wait for it to reopen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stheno wrote: »
    They are, I heard several others complaining. I accept your points but can still understand why they would be not impressed. I feel sorry for the pub owners.

When they are fully back open again I doubt any will reduce the price back down.

I can imagine people put off as the enjoyment of experience of going to the pub is also reduced but they are having to pay more. And there is an alternative, drinking at home or in a friends. If the gyms started upping the price with restrictions they have in place (no showers etc) then I expect people would also not be impressed and might choose to workout at home instead. If cinemas doubled the price due to occupancy people would more likely watch something at home for a fraction of the price.

I was wondering about the place that priced all the starters at 8.70, I doubt they all happened to be that price before the rules, I expect it was a rise in price for most, and for one that were over 9euro they probably just reduced the portion size.

The pub I went to have less staff due to social distancing. And yes, I am begrudging that rise when there is no discernable reason for it. They were already one of the more expensive pints in the area and there is no reason for this. It's greed based on the potential for the staycation posse. And to think they also want to VAT reduced?? I don't know how people in the capital have a social life, because whatever I'm paying down here, it must be way worse up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

rubadub wrote: »
    . If cinemas doubled the price due to occupancy people would more likely watch something at home for a fraction of the price..

Big difference between a cinema doubling the price and a pub charging 25c extra per pint.

If the pub was in Dublin for example and previously charged 5.50 for a pint and now charges 5.75 I can see why someone would go elsewhere. If it charged 5euro a pint and now charges 5.25 well then it's a different argument. Value is relative.

Also, on a separate posters point about Portugal, yes it might be cheaper there but for the sake of 1 year could you not forsake that principle given the risk international travel brings? And before I hear it, if this virus does become endemic and we have to live with it with no vaccine etc then of course you could re-evaluate but I just don't understand why people can't sacrifice it given it was international travel that caused this to become a pandemic in the first place.

It's really not a big ask.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Big difference between a cinema doubling the price and a pub charging 25c extra per pint.

If the pub was in Dublin for example and previously charged 5.50 for a pint and now charges 5.75 I can see why someone would go elsewhere. If it charged 5euro a pint and now charges 5.25 well then it's a different argument. Value is relative.

Also, on a separate posters point about Portugal, yes it might be cheaper there but for the sake of 1 year could you not forsake that principle given the risk international travel brings? And before I hear it, if this virus does become endemic and we have to live with it with no vaccine etc then of course you could re-evaluate but I just don't understand why people can't sacrifice it given it was international travel that caused this to become a pandemic in the first place.

It's really not a big ask.

I'm going to Portugal in 3 weeks. As much chance of catching it here than the area I'm going to in Algarve.

If the Govt ban flights so il get my refund, il happily stay at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

never_mind wrote: »
    Grow up. Buying a 9 euro meal and then lashing 6 pints into you is going to have a similar outcome in the end.
    christ, you STILL don't fucking get it.

Answer the questions and you have your answer. This ignorance, feigned or not, is embarrassing at this stage -and not just from you.
    rubadub wrote: »
    It is very clear to me, a child could figure it out. Sick to death explaining it when most of these igncorant cnuts can answer it themselves if they bothered their hole to think about it.

-Why do you think there has been the meal rule for restaurants for so long? There is nothing new about it.

And why do you think this is in law?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html
    Children (anyone under the age of 18) are only allowed in licensed premises if they are with a parent or guardian, but this provision carries certain restrictions. For example, if accompanied by a parent/guardian, the child may remain on the premises between the hours of 10:30am - 9pm (until 10pm from May to September) unless the licence holder feels this is injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15 and 17 years may remain on the premises after 9pm where they are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served. All licensed premises must display a sign to this effect in a prominent place at all times and failure to do so can result in a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I'm going to Portugal in 3 weeks. As much chance of catching it here than the area I'm going to in Algarve.

If the Govt ban flights so il get my refund, il happily stay at home

Each to their own, but I just think globally if people adopted the attitude of sacrificing the foreign holidays for the year it would aid the suppression and containment of the virus.

Anyway, thats off topic.

Their capacity and extra staff aren’t the public’s problem. Plus they’d screw everyone anyway with less staff and reduced costs given a chance. It’s the Irish business way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Their capacity and extra staff aren’t the public’s problem. Plus they’d screw everyone anyway with less staff and reduced costs given a chance. It’s the Irish business way.

Yet everyone is posting boycott spoons posts all over social media :pac:

Yet everyone is posting boycott spoons posts all over social media :pac:

The same people are under some illusion that all Irish pub owners are shining beacons of fairness towards their staff and excellent people to work for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,273 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Pubs have had to half their capacity (or less) employ extra staff and spend a ton of money refitting the place and people here can’t understand why they might need to increase the prices? The same people whingeing that the pubs were closed are now the same ones who can’t understand why it’s more expensive. I guess these are the same people who bought all the toilet roll and queued for Penny’s all night?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Pubs have had to half their capacity (or less) employ extra staff and spend a ton of money refitting the place and people here can’t understand why they might need to increase the prices? The same people whingeing that the pubs were closed are now the same ones who can’t understand why it’s more expensive. I guess these are the same people who bought all the toilet roll and queued for Penny’s all night?

I've already stated there was no need for this pub in particular to raise their prices. They have less staff and if your going to try to convince me that a few yellow stickers around the place constitutes "refitting", well that's just turning a blind eye to the obvious greed. It was already a hugely successful gastro pub going back 15 years or more. Where did the huge profits from those years go? And no, I didn't buy extra bog roll and I don't queue for any shop. If there's queues, I'll come back another time or buy online. I'm not a fan of the new normal, and am doing my best to keep things as they were....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: cleaned up a bunch of inane posts.

@rubadub - don't post in the thread again.

@never_mind - quit it with the inane responses and actually post something of substance. IF you don't, I'll remove you from the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: cleaned up a bunch of inane posts.

@rubadub - don't post in the thread again.

@never_mind - quit it with the inane responses and actually post something of substance. IF you don't, I'll remove you from the thread.

Thanks!

One week to actual pubs opening. To be honest, if they do open ‘as normal’, I’d probably avoid them for awhile. A lot of people have gotten used to drinking in friends houses or at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Pubs and restaurants to be closed again until the 10th of August. Just hear say to me, but I think that’s why will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Pubs and restaurants to be closed again until the 10th of August. Just hear say to me, but I think that’s why will happen.

Not a chance, there's absolutely no basis for it and many will simply go to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,897 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Santy2015 wrote: »

Be some balls and will only mean Gastropubs and the likes will be busier

No way they can shut these places cause of a few blips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Went to a pub Friday night. Had 4 pints of cider and I was hammered...

Drank with a buddy and his girlfriend who both proceeded to have an argument with each other with me awkwardly sitting there like a spare prick. It was just the 3 of us at at table. The rest of the beer garden looked like a crime scene with tables marked off.

Woke up woolly headed Saturday morning and realise I didn't miss the pub that much afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

it would be simply a crime to keep pubs shut and have them blamed in effect for something they are not contributing to. like how can they if they are not open. you would have to wonder is there something more at play if they keep them shut. its akin to closing all restauruants because people got food poising in one. i think FF would do themselves huge harm if they went in like that. when the country is wide open to americans and british yet they keep pubs closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Are the Service Reps even employed by Heineken or is it outsourced like Guinness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The same people are under some illusion that all Irish pub owners are shining beacons of fairness towards their staff and excellent people to work for.

Ive worked for a number over the years and bar one, yes actually they all were. How many have you worked for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We made a spur of the moment decision to go for a pub lunch on Saturday. As a first visit to the pub in yonks I actually felt a bit of pressure to make my choice of pint something memorable - being lunch I'd only be having the one. Anyway, in my indecisiveness I panicked and went for Estrella (not the worst but not exactly special occasion stuff). I then returned to my table to await delivery. As I sat there, I had a better look at the taps on the bar and I immediately regretted my choice. While there was some decent ales, in the middle of it all I noticed a lovely shiny new Hobgoblin tap. Now that would have been savage with my beef pie.

Ive worked for a number over the years and bar one, yes actually they all were. How many have you worked for?

I didn’t say they all weren’t, I said it was dangerous/odd to assume they’re all sound just because the business is Irish. People don’t become successful in business by being decent to people unless they’ve hit lucky.

One thing i dont like about these new regulations is you dont have the freedom to move around a place

Youre stuck to the table you choose and tough **** if you have to freeze your bollocks off. Old times you could get up and move around freely. Looking forward too next Monday on and have a bit more freedom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One thing i dont like about these new regulations is you dont have the freedom to move around a place

Youre stuck to the table you choose and tough **** if you have to freeze your bollocks off. Old times you could get up and move around freely. Looking forward too next Monday on and have a bit more freedom

Is there more freedom next Monday? I presumed same rules except no food?

You’re in for a surprise, and not a good one.

There'll be no more freedom next Monday only thing that'll change is no food. Apart from that all the same as is now

You’re in for a surprise, and not a good one.

fantastic bloody fantastic this country

You're only the messenger not having a go at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Owners of bars I've worked in are under the assumption that there is a meeting Wednesday and a final decision to be announced on Friday on whether they can reopen next Monday. This is understandably really frustrating as stock needs to be got, lines and bars need to be cleaned before reopening. Staff also have no idea if they are going back to work. A few are moving back reopening to the 26th which gives them next week to sort stuff out IF the date stays but doesn't commit them if it moves.

There'll be no more freedom next Monday only thing that'll change is no food. Apart from that all the same as is now

Suppose its better than nothing and would be easier to go to different places (ie pub crawl)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Owners of bars I've worked in are under the assumption that there is a meeting Wednesday and a final decision to be announced on Friday on whether they can reopen next Monday. This is understandably really frustrating as stock needs to be got, lines and bars need to be cleaned before reopening. Staff also have no idea if they are going back to work. A few are moving back reopening to the 26th which gives them next week to sort stuff out IF the date stays but doesn't commit them if it moves.

Know of a few places moving to the Friday 25th based on they need to get stock in.

Decision Wednesday by all accounts on phase 4. Case numbers right back down again today. There isn't much justification to keep them closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Once pubs open, will there still be the restrictions of having to book a table and will a time limit (2 hours or so) still be in place? I presume the counter seats will still be closed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cona wrote: »
    Once pubs open, will there still be the restrictions of having to book a table and will a time limit (2 hours or so) still be in place? I presume the counter seats will still be closed too?

Nobody knows

The day you can sit at the bar is the day you’ll know they’re really open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement