Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tad harsh

76 from 127 balls, 8 boundaries in 21 overs he is at the crease. Accurate would be my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Very harsh I think. Looked pretty fluent to me. Saying that, compared to the top three anyone with a few shots would look free flowing. Not a fast scoring pitch either and against a quality, tight bowling attack. No, Crawley looked fine and should hold his place when Root comes back. Only 21 too remember.

170 lead with two wickets left. Archer and Wood need to get a few and it should be a great chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think we have an absolute cracker on our hands. England may be in 2 minds. Wood and Archer whilst not great batsmen are hitters, they can score runs quickly on their day. Anderson is a blocker. If they last until 12, they will probably have put on 50-60 runs. But then there is the element of having to bat as long as possible to try and make the target a score where Windies have to attack, thus taking risks leading to wickets.

If they bat Conservatively until lunch and knock on about 50 runs, Windies will have to attack to win.

I reckon Wood and Archer will be told to go out and strike the ball, and Jimmy to stick around and let the other do the hitting. Should be a very eventful first hour.

In regard to the 4th innings, if there is one Englishman I want in my team bar nobody including Jimmy Anderson, its Stuart Broad. If you have a small target Broad is the type of guy to get his tail up and rip through the team. It's what he does. The conditions were perfect for Broad in the first innings and the situation is perfect for Broad in the 2nd innings.

I think Don Bess is a good-un. He will have a big say tomorrow.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Very harsh I think. Looked pretty fluent to me. Saying that, compared to the top three anyone with a few shots would look free flowing. Not a fast scoring pitch either and against a quality, tight bowling attack. No, Crawley looked fine and should hold his place when Root comes back. Only 21 too remember.

170 lead with two wickets left. Archer and Wood need to get a few and it should be a great chase.

Crawley looks seriously good, 21 too ? Fück that’s one for the future, pity he didn’t make a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Strumms wrote: »
    Crawley looks seriously good, 21 too ? Fück that’s one for the future, pity he didn’t make a ton.
    He looks OK, but I thought with a high backlift that he employs, I would fancy myself to get him with a full pitched ball. Anyway, England as always looked brittle with the bat, Denly has had 18 test scores between 10 and 49, always seems to get in then get out, pity for him but he may have had his last chance for now. As for the match situation, I don't think England will get too many more, and West Indies looking for around 180 should be OK, I think John Campbell is a key player, as he scores quickly, but he also has a habit of getting a start and not going on. Good contest, but the late wickets have tilted the balance in favour of West Indies.

• Advertisement

England 313 all out. West Indies target is exactly 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

England 313 all out. West Indies target is exactly 200.

Windies 3 down and 1 ret hurt for 27

Very good morning for England. Archer especially to get the lead to 200 and then bowled really well.

All the bowlers look on it. West Indies desperately need a partnership or this could be over quick.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Windies 3 down and 1 ret hurt for 27

They look completely sunk, how does Hope looks so good, and can't score a test run any more?

Saved by an inch on that review, lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Can't see the breakthrough coming

West Indies have battled well to stay in this, should be able to win from this position, great contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Blackwood didn't need to do that. A lifeline for England?

Deserved a hundred. What a great innings.

11 needed. Stokes making things happen again but not enough runs.

All over at 200-6, told ye all John Campbell would be they key to the chase, opened the batting and hit the winning run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great for world cricket and thoroughly deserved win for the Windies. Led by a former Northants player (we don't get many internationals!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Great victory especially when they were 27-3. Blackwood superb along with Chase and Holder calmly brought it home at the end.

England make another series hard for themselves by losing the first game. Did in the Ashes, in New Zealand and in South Africa. Toss, selection, some missed chances today. Expect them to bounce back at Old Trafford but this is a strong West Indies team.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Great victory especially when they were 27-3. Blackwood superb along with Chase and Holder calmly brought it home at the end.

England make another series hard for themselves by losing the first game. Did in the Ashes, in New Zealand and in South Africa. Toss, selection, some missed chances today. Expect them to bounce back at Old Trafford but this is a strong West Indies team.

Desperately unlucky with conditions, but other than that, deserved to lose.

For next test I envisage Broad will come in for Wood, though I would go with Sam Curran over both (or Woakes), and Wood over Broad (if able to play two in quick succession).

Buttler out, Foakes in
    Denly out, Root in

So:

Sibley
    Burns
    Crawley
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope

Foakes
    Woakes/Curran
    Archer
    Bess
    Anderson

Well, they won the toss so can't really say they were unlucky. Pitch didn't deteriorate as they expected maybe.

I'm a big Sam Curran fan. Both Curran brothers actually. Curran was dropped for this game and it was lost in the Broad dropping. He plays for me. In England especially but did it away in South Africa. Left arm swing, wickets and important runs.

Woakes is another one. His record in England is excellent. But how do get them all in?

Agree with Buttler out and Foakes in. Freak talent in white ball cricket but hasn't done it. His best innings in test cricket have been where he had to dig in. Hasn't been able to knit it all together like Stokes has.

Just going to throw Ali into it too. Proven match winning spinner in England. I don't know where he is in the mix now. He was in the training squad I think. Ok Bess will get the summer and Ali back in for India.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They had a fairly flakey batting line up so winning the toss and throwing them into those conditions was always risky. The hundred run deficit from the first innings was mainly down to that. They gambled that the pitch would be so bad by day 5 that it would make up for it, it wasn't.

• Advertisement

The fielding today was super shoddy... if England had have taken their chances, the missed run out when the fielder (I forgot who) failed to pick up the ball with the batsman yards out of his ground and the two or three dropped catches it’s 168-8 and the English are in pole position with pressure on the tail and two wickets needed for victory, ohh what could have been.

Stokes can lay the law down but he was guilty himself of not taking an opportunity.

Strumms wrote: »
    The fielding today was super shoddy... if England had have taken their chances, the missed run out when the fielder (I forgot who) failed to pick up the ball with the batsman yards out of his ground and the two or three dropped catches it’s 168-8 and the English are in pole position with pressure on the tail and two wickets needed for victory, ohh what could have been.

Stokes can lay the law down but he was guilty himself of not taking an opportunity.

That was Crawley, I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

England may have to bolster that lower order with batting. Bess, Archer, Wood and Anderson is a long tail when the top order are not performing. Woakes/Curran are the obvious candidates.

For me the first test should have been Curran, Bess, Broad, Anderson. The conditions suggested that this was the obvious line up (maybe Woakes). Old Trafford is a different type of ground and conditions should be OK, so Archer or Wood could have came in to rest up Broad or/and Anderson for the 3rd test.

They backed themselves into a corner with that first test selection.

From the outside looking in, there seems to be a problem with a clique in the dressing room. Root, Stokes, Buttler, Wood are all big buddies. Bairstow too but they can't justify his selection anymore. Anderson and Broad do their own thing and then the rest of the team have been in and out of the system for the last 3-4 years.

Foakes has found it near on impossible to break back into the team despite performing and the 2 of the Clique standing as Wicketkeeper. Woakes and Curran get dropped left, right and centre but if Wood is available he nearly always plays. Broad seems to be fall guy when he needs "Resting" but they will never cross Anderson.

I'm not sure where Archer falls within the group dynamic but I do think there was an element of politics in him playing in the last test. He was very mediocre in New Zealand (on tough wickets to be fair) and did OK in SA but not great.

But the cynic in me says that if England turned up at that first test match with an all white team with all that has been going on and what was planned for the test, they would have had elements of the media going after the ECB. There were rumblings about Michael Carberry being the only English born black player to make his debut in this century. Which would have a distracted from the praise they were getting for getting the series on in the first place. And one thing I know about the people above the England team, is that they are obsessed with how they are perceived by the media.

England may have to bolster that lower order with batting. Bess, Archer, Wood and Anderson is a long tail when the top order are not performing. Woakes/Curran are the obvious candidates.

For me the first test should have been Curran, Bess, Broad, Anderson. The conditions suggested that this was the obvious line up (maybe Woakes). Old Trafford is a different type of ground and conditions should be OK, so Archer or Wood could have came in to rest up Broad or/and Anderson for the 3rd test.

They backed themselves into a corner with that first test selection.

From the outside looking in, there seems to be a problem with a clique in the dressing room. Root, Stokes, Buttler, Wood are all big buddies. Bairstow too but they can't justify his selection anymore. Anderson and Broad do their own thing and then the rest of the team have been in and out of the system for the last 3-4 years.

Foakes has found it near on impossible to break back into the team despite performing and the 2 of the Clique standing as Wicketkeeper. Woakes and Curran get dropped left, right and centre but if Wood is available he nearly always plays. Broad seems to be fall guy when he needs "Resting" but they will never cross Anderson.

I'm not sure where Archer falls within the group dynamic but I do think there was an element of politics in him playing in the last test. He was very mediocre in New Zealand (on tough wickets to be fair) and did OK in SA but not great.

But the cynic in me says that if England turned up at that first test match with an all white team with all that has been going on and what was planned for the test, they would have had elements of the media going after the ECB. There were rumblings about Michael Carberry being the only English born black player to make his debut in this century. Which would have a distracted from the praise they were getting for getting the series on in the first place. And one thing I know about the people above the England team, is that they are obsessed with how they are perceived by the media.

Archer is picked on merit, he has so much improvement to come also, and sometimes he does get carried away, but if I was batting against him I would be distracted by the fact that he could kill me, Stokes and Anderson could get you out OK, but you would live to tell the tale, Wood is piss quick as well, funny enough they had combined figures of 1-135 in the first innings, that was a major factor in the loss, Archer looked like he needed an outing, and should be in prime form for Manchester

Archer's problem is he hasn't repeated anything like his debut performance in the Lord's Ashes test. Some 5fers since but nothing as special as that. Man alive, that was breathtaking speed and hostility.

He's still very young and last year was a lot to deal with including playing with an elbow injury. He'll hold his place on merit but I really want to see more. Second innings was promising and hopefully will be better for it. With the bat too. Always heard he's a talented batsman and the last day was the first time he showed it really.

Broad said Archer is the only bowler guaranteed a spot and I though that was nonsense. He has to perform and take wickets. I still have him down as a gamechanger for the away Ashes. He should enjoy them pitches more that NZ and by then will have gained good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For those with Facebook, England Cricket is live-streaming the World Cup final as we speak on their page. England need a hundred to win, NZ have taken 4 wickets, I feel this might go down to the wire :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

For those with Facebook, England Cricket is live-streaming the World Cup final as we speak on their page. England need a hundred to win, NZ have taken 4 wickets, I feel this might go down to the wire :pac:
    That was a good game, it ended in a tie, do they share the trophy?

Denly dropped for the Old Trafford test. Fair enough I guess. Moved around the order a lot catering for Root and openers, I think he did a good solid job overall. No big score his battling efforts deserved which is why he now missing out. Crawley has earned his chance with some decent scores. Focus now shifts to Buttler I suppose.

Forecast isn't too bad for the game. Cloudy but no real rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

The whole middle and lower order needs looking at, I always feel Stokes at 5 is too high but with Buttler and Pope in the side it’s the only option.

• Advertisement

Pope eventually will move higher. Best prospect in world cricket probably.

I think Stokes has the game for 5. Excellent defensive technique and every shot. Proper batsman and moving him lower only gives him less opportunities and batting more with the riff raff.

Root back to his best is what England need.

Advertisement