Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog caught and killed a neighbour's cat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Perhaps you have never watched Tom and Jerry? Dogs chase cats. If trained and / or raised around cats then usually they don't but that depends on the owner.

My dog, long dead, never chased any other animal other than to play. Then he saw a duck. It did not end well.

Yeah, and cats kill mice, etc. The difference is a cat (or a small dog) isnt going to seriously hurt or kill a child or even an adult. A dog like that who can't ce controlled is an entirely different propect. And using a cartoon as a defence...that was actually funny in fariness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Ludo wrote: »
    I am a bit surprised no one has wondered about how a dog like that can be trusted around anyone or anything if it cannot be controlled. Doesn't matter if on your own property or not.

Do you think cats should be controlled? They are out killing wildlife daily but that’s out of sight, out of mind for the owners.

These are the risks cat owners take when letting there pet wander.

We let our indoor dogs into the back garden to relieve themselves and run around.

Every day the neighbours cat turns up wandering through our garden and then sites on the wall winding up the dogs who are going spastic.

I know one day that cat will make the wrong call and it won’t end well for the cat. I know I won’t feel guilty if/when it happens.

Presuming the op is genuine, put the cat in the bin and forget about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Eh, can I get a loan of that dog? I could do with a new cat on the street being disappeared

<mod: red carded>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Do you think cats should be controlled? They are out killing wildlife daily but that’s out of sight, out of mind for the owners.

These are the risks cat owners take when letting there pet wander.

We let our indoor dogs into the back garden to relieve themselves and run around.

Every day the neighbours cat turns up wandering through our garden and then sites on the wall winding up the dogs who are going spastic.

I know one day that cat will make the wrong call and it won’t end well for the cat. I know I won’t feel guilty if/when it happens.

Yep...I get all that and sometimes indeed **** happens and cats are feckers for carrying on like that. No bother with them getting hurt. Nature and all that.
    Still though, worth at least THINKING about this dog and any potential issue. I was just surprised no-one even mentioned it at all. Anyway...I've raised my points and am out. I don't want to turn this into a dog bashing or cat bashing discussion.

• Advertisement

No animals were harmed in the making of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I am a bit surprised no one has wondered about how a dog like that can be trusted around anyone or anything if it cannot be controlled. Doesn't matter if on your own property or not.

Because dogs chasing cats in natural... and they chase them because they see them as prey, not for a kiss!!!

Dogs can be trained but with a big prey dog you always have to be careful and responsible. This dog was in the owners garden and secure by the sounds of it. This means that it is not the dogs fault and it did nothing wrong.

Of course it matters that it was on the personal property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

You could leave it out for the seagulls. Circle of life.

Yeah, and cats kill mice, etc. The difference is a cat (or a small dog) isnt going to seriously hurt or kill a child or even an adult. A dog like that who can't ce controlled is an entirely different propect. And using a cartoon as a defence...that was actually funny in fariness.

A child is not a cat! These replies where people go mad with 'think of the children' really annoy me.

I've a husky and a rottweiler cross... neither could be trusted with a cat or any small animals. They are trusted around humans! Never alone with kids cause I don't think any dog should be alone with children (children cannot be trusted!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I wonder what’s the position with the law if say i wanted to protect my cat from being attacked by neighbours dogs? Am i entitled to shoot the dogs dead with my legally held shotgun to save my cats life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Two posters in this thread have been red-carded for trolling. This is not a joke. Moderate your responses please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Some dog breeds you can't train the prey instinct out of, particularly terriers, especially the hardier breeds designed to burrow after foxes, badgers and such.

We've tried professionals early on with ours (it was a rescue, and very damaged goods), and they all gave up. I wasn't surprised, after owning dogs of similar profile (wire dachs) years ago.

After 11 years, ours can be trusted with people, there's never been any inkling of aggressivity towards man, woman or child, ever. But it will still go after anything non-human. And I mean anything, large or small, land-air-sea, cute or ugly. Spiders, bees, wasps, hedgehogs, kittens, cats, small birds, goats, cows, kids, geese, crabs, rats, mice, etc, etc: if it moves and it breathes, it's prey, end of.

So he's never off the leash, unless fenced-in within our property.

We're 1 (feral) kitten down so far this year. Died of fright, it looked like. Poor mite, was humanely buried.

The 2nd (feral) kitten only this past weekend had a lucky escape, this time I managed to catch the dog in time. But then the little b*%# furball ran into the house while I was busy securing the dog, with no end of nooks and cranies to hide in, and it took us 2 hours non-stop to catch and release it (safely).

Some you win, some you lose, and nature be nature.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I wonder what’s the position with the law if say i wanted to protect my cat from being attacked by neighbours dogs? Am i entitled to shoot the dogs dead with my legally held shotgun to save my cats life?

But the cat is entering the dog owners property... The law says you cannot shoot dead a dog or a cat!

Two posters in this thread have been red-carded for trolling. This is not a joke. Moderate your responses please.

In fairness, the OP should be red-carded for trolling.

my parents have a springer spaniel bitch.

she is lightning fast and being a hunting dog breed has a strong prey instinct and has killed at least a couple of cats who made the ill-advised decision to come into the (largish) garden when the dog was in the vicinity.

they didn't have any phone number/other id engraved and were just buried in the garden - move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm currently minding my sister's dog. A rottweiler. She's a dote. I was letting her out to do a toilet.

After I released her, I noticed her charging for a cat I didn't realise was out

Never mind dogs that have not been trained or you cannot control.

At least your username checks out.

S02E06-hhvBSpCE-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

In fairness, the OP should be red-carded for trolling.

Why is this being said on here? The scenario being described seems a fairly plausible one to me: dog hates cat so attacks cat and cat dies. It’s not outlandish. If they were trolling, wouldn’t they at least try to be a bit more provocative and sensationalist? Seriously its like someone being accused of trolling because they describe being victim to a hit and run car accident or a burglary or a flaming bag of sh1t on the doorstep prank or whatever you want to suggest. Not THAT common but it happens frequently enough not to be unusual. Maybe you are trolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Micky 32 wrote: »

If the dog enters your property then yes.
    If the cat goes into the neighbors garden, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

Whether you love or hate cats, you would need to have respect for your neighbour who might have considered that cat to be a treasured pet. Once, I found a cat lying on the footpath on a cold February morning. It had been hit by a car, and since it was bin day, I tossed it in, and then went on to work. A few days later, I spotted the poster for the missing cat. I reluctantly made the call, and was thanked, and when I was asked where the cat was, I merely stated that it was disposed of. But at least the owner knows and can have a bit of peace. I don't think you need to disclose the exact nature of the misadventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I always had indoor cats, one would potter in the garden until a bird flew near and he’d run inside, so can’t comment. I think a humane burial and move on.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Why is this being said on here? The scenario being described seems a fairly plausible one to me: dog hates cat so attacks cat and cat dies. It’s not outlandish. If they were trolling, wouldn’t they at least try to be a bit more provocative and sensationalist? Seriously its like someone being accused of trolling because they describe being victim to a hit and run car accident or a burglary or a flaming bag of sh1t on the doorstep prank or whatever you want to suggest. Not THAT common but it happens frequently enough not to be unusual. Maybe you are trolling?

Have a quick look at any of his other posts. The OP is pretty much Walter Mitty.

Mods should get a better handle on persistent trolls in these boring times.

It shouldn't be that hard, maybe a group chat each morning about who's been taking the p*ss across each forum. If I can see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Have a quick look at any of his other posts. The OP is pretty much Walter Mitty.

Mods should get a better handle on persistent trolls in these boring times.

I thought it sparked some interesting ethical questions and responses, regardless of authenticity.

I'm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I thought it sparked some interesting ethical questions and responses, regardless of authenticity.

Or it will lead to Rottweilers getting extra grief with lazy stereotyping.

Someone who is unsure about Rottweilers will stumble across this thread and think they are this evil kill everything dog.

If he wanted to start a discussion on dogs biting or killing why not talk about the French Bulldog who killed its owner or the Labrador who killed two 29 day old babies instead of made up nonsense about the big old bad restricted breeds.

Nudain is completely right. Go over to the motoring section and read all the nonsense from the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

You should find the owner and inform him/her. Of course she/he will be upset but it's the right thing to do. I can't imagine the owner wondering where's his/her cat have gone to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm currently minding my sister's dog. A rottweiler. She's a dote. I was letting her out to do a toilet.

After I released her, I noticed her charging for a cat I didn't realise was out there until it was too late. I let out a roar, the cat was too engrossed in a chicken carcass I left out for my feathered friends.

She caught the cat unfortunately and damaged him quite badly. The cat did not survive the ordeal. I currently have her in a basket in the shed wrapped in a bed sheet.

Could anyone please advise me on the best thing to do now? Should I post on my residents' WhatsApp group? Should I bury the cat in a hidden location and say nothing?

Is this a bad sign the dog attacked a cat?

Thanks for your contributions and sorry for the grizzly reading.

To clarify, the cat was in your garden?? If so, post it to the residents group that whoever owns it can collect it, there is no liability on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

To clarify, the cat was in your garden?? If so, post it to the residents group that whoever owns it can collect it, there is no liability on your part.

Yes. The neighbour's cat who wanders into my garden frequently was the one who was unfortunately killed.

Theres nothing to suggest this dog will injure or seriously maim a child.

I get your concern about large dogs, I do. It's wrong to have that concern because the dog chased a cat though

FFS. Close it. It's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I have two Rotties who are protective of the back garden.So if a cat wandered in,then yeah it wouldn't end well for the cat.But by your description,the cat is someone's beloved pet.So I would try and locate the owner and be sympathetic over the whole affair.IMO

Advertisement