Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old loyalties, reconsideration.

Options
  • 11-11-2019 8:41pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, just wondering about a few views on how some people defended different technology, that they now have changed their minds about

Not so much a VHS vs Batamax

But I remember defending my 48K+ spectrum and saying it was superior to the C64.

I did the same with Sega mega drives versus SNES, always preferred the megadrive, but looking back I shouldn't have.

Atari ST vs Amiga was more complicated as Sts had a second coming.

Anyone else unashamedly defend an interior bit of kit versus a superior one ?

Can't be a living thing, partners don't count.

No Sindy vs Barby either ciderman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

On the three examples you gave.

Spectrum vs C64 is a dead heat

SNES vs Megadrive is close. For me it’s snes but definitely a case for the megadrive

And although the amiga is the superior I wouldn’t have been upset as a kid with the ST

I’ve been on this site for many years and have met so many wonderful people.

But a little warning

If anyone dares try and infer that Repton is superior to Boulder Dash then I will hunt you down and bludgeon you to death with a big rock

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Megadrive has a Motorola 68000 processor running at 7.68mhz.

SNES varied between 3.58mhz and 2.68mhz.

All I'm sayin' :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But mode 7 and those pastel colours!

I was a megadrive fanboy myself but was always so envious of the snes. I loved mario games and there was nothino close on the megadrive. I was also a massive capcom and konami game fan. I was delighted when konami started making games for the system. Always wanted a snes.

I also really wanted a Saturn when that gen launched but by the time resident evil came out there was only one clear winner.

After that I never engaged with console wars. Was happy to seek.out and own everything.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Megadrive has a Motorola 68000 processor running at 7.68mhz.

SNES varied between 3.58mhz and 2.68mhz.

All I'm sayin' :pac:

I'm all about the blast processing too.
    Megadrive 4 life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spectrum was my team in the computer wars of the early 80's
    When it came to the PS/Sat/N64 I just rotated through them before owning them all.
    While the Snes was and is amazing, I probably loved the Shmups on the MD more than the content on the Snes.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I was a fervent defender of the Megadrive and it being better than the Super Nintendo back in the day.

Although the height of those playground arguments generally boiled down to which console had more games with blood and gore. As an 8 year old kid who loved the Terminator and Aliens, distancing myself as far as possible from 'kiddie' things was very important.

Secretly, I was really jealous that my cousin had a Snes with ALTTP. I played it in his house in snippets every time I went over but never got to sit through it properly until well into the PS1 generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The SNES never had Gunstar Heroes. The greatest 6/10 game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

While we hold old flames for platforms of the past, inside we know of their good points and flaws compared to the competition of the time but when we didn't have enough pennies to also purchase the other platforms of the time we all fought to state we (or our parents) made the right choice at the time.
    I did get an Atari 2600 Jr. one Christmas, don't think there was a playground discussion around games at the time though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the world had moved on, at the time they bought that....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the world had moved on, at the time they bought that....
    It did, I didn't notice :D was with me for a short time and I think I swapped it for a electric car race track thing

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

BITD my cousin swapped Eternal champions for Gunstar Heroes with his neighbour :D

Master of the Universe

BITD my cousin swapped Eternal champions for Gunstar Heroes with his neighbour :D

Haha ah jaysus, the poor lad!

Once I picked out Ballz 3D: Battle of the Ballz for my main birthday pressie. Had to convince myself that it was a good game :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Or Streets of Rage , the best, most loved , hated worst game on A&R :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Spectrum was my team in the computer wars of the early 80's
    When it came to the PS/Sat/N64 I just rotated through them before owning them all.
    While the Snes was and is amazing, I probably loved the Shmups on the MD more than the content on the Snes.

Yeah I was team Commodore back then (well after team Atari8* died)
    At the time i never could understand why people raved over colour clashy , rubber keyboard controlled games ,
    Although as a collector I've come to like a lot of Spectrum games , and can see that to Speccy fans eyes my classics were a mud brown pastelled blocky mess.
    C64 still always sounded better though!

(*and it was a better machine than both , if only it had been cheaper , and had more support gaming history would have been a lot different!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Points about game count are flying around alright

For me the fights were around the following

Sprites and how many colours a spectrum had vs the C64.

And the need for an interface and double interface on a spectrum

I still remember my friend laughing when he saw how you had to stop the tape deck on the spectrum.

The joystick set up was poxy on the spectrum too. The mapping of the keyboard didn't always work out.

But I still said the spectrum was better, even though the C64 could talk!!

The spectrum was more playable apparently.

Looking back I don't know how I held the line.

I loved the MD the 6 buttons controller for SF2 was the deciding factor for me, I never really liked the SNES controller.

I think it's my shift in game choice rather than the HW, I was not a massive Mario fan, but like them now.

N64 vs PS1 was a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I could never understand how anyone could choose Spectrum over C64. Although I did grow to appreciate the spectrum much later.. mostly as a result of the RARE Replay compilation on xbox. As for the amstrad.. well my one of the local lads (Keith Barry) had one and we used to go over there to play Cobra (Stallone movie license) ... which was great... and that made the disappointment of the C64 version being a different game and terrible to boot that bit worse.

The NES came along in my house after that and nothing, but nothing touched Mario before Mario 3 came out (although Turrican 1 & 2 on C64 gave them a run for their money, I used to play them in my socks with the computer on the floor and my feet on the spacebar and F7 keys)

Megadrive won the next round for me. Mostly for Mortal Kombat and Micromachines, whilst my brother went SNES for Mario and Street Fighter.

PS1 brought us back together. I wanted to hate it... but it was game over the first time we touched Ridge Racer... then tomb raider, need for speed, resident evil, odd world.. I cracked before the end of the generation whilst in Chartbusters one night.. Colm Meaney the actor was in there and I was marvelling at how tall he was in real life and walked into a basket full of ex rentals for sale... Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Zelda for N64. £10 each. First time I ever bought a bunch of games without actually owning the console.

Despite that I still went dreamcast when it came out.. and still think it was better than early PS2 stuff. Some of the graphics still hold up well. Sega gave up before I did. PS2 was the better machine in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Had a C64 with disk drive and action replay cart. Cousins had an amstrad. It was pretty crap but they had a game I loved called Myth. I would probably have swapped with them.

Myth was on c64 as well. I remember it having above average graphics and a super soundtrack. It also came with a leaflet for other games from the same publisher which led me to the last ninja 3 and another one called Vendetta which I really wanted because you were a guy shooting things and then you got into your sports car to go to the next level...a proto grand theft auto !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Myth was on c64 as well. I remember it having above average graphics and a super soundtrack. It also came with a leaflet for other games from the same publisher which led me to the last ninja 3 and another one called Vendetta which I really wanted because you were a guy shooting things and then you got into your sports car to go to the next level...a proto grand theft auto !
    Always thought the animation in Myth on the C64 was great

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Always thought the animation in Myth on the C64 was great

... although looking at that video sprite collision detection was a bit shonky! The final boss in the whole thing was on the ads for it and I remember using some pokes and peeks with the Datel action replay cartridge to get the cheats to go see it easily.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ... although looking at that video sprite collision detection was a bit shonky!
    You're looking at that with 2019 rather than 1989/1990 eyes :D The Spectrum version looks a little meh compared to it

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    You're looking at that with 2019 rather than 1989/1990 eyes :D The Spectrum version looks a little meh compared to it

Ouch. C64 looked like a next gen machine when it was sitting next to a spectrum in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

NES > SNES

Master of the Universe

accensi0n wrote: »
    NES > SNES

Sure the Snes was just a scam from Nintendo to get mammies all over the world to have to buy another console. :pac:

accensi0n wrote: »
    NES > SNES

Think you could make a very good argument for this and I'm swinging towards this opinion as well when you take into account the Famicom as well.

The SNES has loads of amazing games on it but it feels very... curated. There's not a lot of interesting stuff on in the library.

The NES on the other hand has loads of amazing games, more than the SNES, but it's also got a lot of more interesting games. Games with ideas that don't pan out. Weird experimental stuff. And flat out god awful stuff that's still interesting to play.

One area though that the SNES wins out hands down is in RPGs. There's a few good ones on the NES, Dragon Quest 3 and 4 are stone cold classics as well as a few very good, very late NES RPGs but the vast majority are Dragon Quest clones and are too archaic and grindy.

On the SNES you had Final Fantasy 4 with totally changed how RPGs were and you ended up with a golden era for Square, Dragon Quests best entry with V and other greats building upon the work of FF4 and some excellent action RPGs as well.

Master of the Universe

If your NES and Snes collections were completely removed, as were your memories of playing all games on each system, and you could only have one, completely forsaking the other forever, would you chose the NES?

I know what you mean about there being a lot more interesting diversity and experimentation (sure I only just found Metal Storm recently myself!) on the NES, but there are too many ...dare I say it...'special' games on the Snes IMO.

Sophie's Choice really.

At the moment I'd definitely go with the NES but that's due to my playing habits at the moment. Can't really put time into long games and just much prefer the pick up and play aspect of most NES games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All systems have their own merits, including the sh1te ones even if its only for comic effect.

That said, my pong is better than your pong.

All systems have their own merits, including the sh1te ones even if its only for comic effect.

No, the CDi should be trashed asap, no one will miss it, aside from those with an enduring mental illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

your Pong stinks!

Advertisement