Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WALKER (2018) Saorview Combo WPS818C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Thanks Guys,

Yes will email Walker.

Works fine with a different location UK or Germany (Germany has more apps, UK limited with apps)

Overall I'm happy with the box, works perfect with Saorsat (Digital Aertel) and recording is working fine.
    Easy box to use

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Yes will email Walker.

Works fine with a different location UK or Germany (Germany has more apps, UK limited with apps)

Overall I'm happy with the box, works perfect with Saorsat (Digital Aertel) and recording is working fine.
    Easy box to use

So no luck with the software update then?

Just checked my TV and the software update that sorted the problem was created 11th Sept 2017 although there is nothing on their website to indicate there was an update available. I'm very surprised they have recently launched this box with that same issue having sorted the TV problem last year.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The problem is with Vestal, The same thing happens to Nordmende and Toshiba TVs that have Saorview/Satellite/Smart functions. Once the TVs are connected to the internet and any of the BBC channels are selected the TV will freeze after a few seconds and will reboot.
    A software update will sort the problem and i am sure it will do the same for the Walker box.

I'm not at the box at the moment, but I think the current software is 10th of July 2018

I won't find it an issue setting up with another location and making a channel list.

But for an everyday non tech person who set's up with Ireland and the preset Walker list, they will be disappointed with the BBC freezing.

The preset Astra 2 list is ok too and upto date.

I think they realised they had a problem as the left out any BBC HD channels on the preset list, however it still freezes on BBC SD.
    Even BBC World NEWS on Astra 1 froze after a while when on Ireland location.

Freeview terrestrial BBC are working perfect

Apart from this hiccup the box is very good, easy to use and reliable for recording, will set it up on Germany or UK now.

I'm not at the box at the moment, but I think the current software is 10th of July 2018

I won't find it an issue setting up with another location and making a channel list.

But for an everyday non tech person who set's up with Ireland and the preset Walker list, they will be disappointed with the BBC freezing.

The preset Astra 2 list is ok too and upto date.

I think they realised they had a problem as the left out any BBC HD channels on the preset list, however it still freezes on BBC SD.
    Even BBC World NEWS on Astra 1 froze after a while when on Ireland location.

Freeview terrestrial BBC are working perfect

Apart from this hiccup the box is very good, easy to use and reliable for recording, will set it up on Germany or UK now.

what number does the RTE's start at when a different country is chosen when you using Saorsat.

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    what number does the RTE's start at when a different country is chosen when you using Saorsat.

Can't say right now, but well in the hundreds, if using UK freeview has its own channels allocation numbers

No particular set numbers for Saorsat, when setting up it tunes in Terrestrial first followed by satellite, the order I have Is Astra 2, Astra 1, Saorsat, but the sat stations start at 301 or a 601 possible 801, can't recall as I'm using a favourite list.

Will confirm when I get to the box

I would advise people who are using this box or any of the vestal made TV's that have saorview,satellite and smart functions to do a software upgrade and have the country selected as Ireland that way the Irish channels will start at number 1 up to 21 they can be rearranged from 1-10 and BBC1 starts at 301 straight after number 10.

I would advise people who are using this box or any of the vestal made TV's that have saorview,satellite and smart functions to do a software upgrade and have the country selected as Ireland that way the Irish channels will start at number 1 up to 21 they can be rearranged from 1-10 and BBC1 starts at 301 straight after number 10.

Not forgetting the radio channels which can be deselected from view within the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Hi couple of quick questions on this that could really help me out as it seems it could be exactly what I'm looking for.

From standby does the box come on fairly quick? I saw the powerpoint saorview box and it seemed to take about 2 minutes from standby to boot and get going which can be frustrating.

How bad is the BBC issue? Is it a case that anytime you change to BBC it'll just hang the box or is it intermittent/fixable?

Lastly, anyone know the main Walker website, can't find anything googling

Cheers :D

Turlock wrote: »
    How bad is the BBC issue? Is it a case that anytime you change to BBC it'll just hang the box or is it intermittent/fixable?

Lastly, anyone know the main Walker website, can't find anything googling
    http://walker.ie/

As posted in the other thread the BBC issue is only there when connected to the internet.

• Advertisement

Just to confirm, picked up that box today and am absolutely delighted with it

Channel setup was a breeze (although note that as someone says it omits HD freesat channels)
    The channel listings are organised similar to a sky box so they group the most used channels up the top
    The UI is simple to use compared to the previous Ferguson Combo 250
    Remote has a wide angle use (or normal angle use, this is a big problem I had with my old box)
    Boot time from cold or standby is about 10 seconds which is great compared to some of the other boxes I saw

Thanks a mill for the review and recommendation, as per another thread this was for my 80 year old neighbour who was always going to struggle with a more techie box. Over the moon to be able to give him something easy to use :D

Box now working perfect
    Location Ireland
    Internet NOT CONNECTED

The box is now advertised as Saorsat Approved!!

Saorsat TV channels start at No. 1 - 20
    Saorsat Radio start at No. 200 - 209

Preset list TV channels BBC One starts at No. 21 - 157

Saorsat Channels now have their own epg numbers like Saorview would on the box.

I have no terrestrial connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Turlock wrote:
    it omits HD freesat channels

@FRIENDO
    What's the story there?
    Are FTA HD channels not available on this box or maybe are with some extra effort?

@FRIENDO
    What's the story there?
    Are FTA HD channels not available on this box or maybe are with some extra effort?

HD channels are working perfect
    Astra 2, Astra 1, Saorsat, Freeview all good.

The original Walker preset channel list was missing BBC and UTV HD channels
    But came with Channel 4 HD and 5 HD

I've tweaked the list now to my own liking, by manual tuning and adding a few extra channels and HD channels etc.

Can Put channels in a favourite list in any order you wish then.

Saorsat Radio start at No. 200 - 209

Preset list TV channels BBC One starts at No. 21 - 157.

Is it the Freeview terrestrial channels or the FTA satellite channels that start at 21?

On the Walker TVs the satellite channels start at 301 and cannot be moved lower down the epg, this appears to be different for this box. If the number of satellite channels stored goes beyond 199, do they overspill into the 200s or into the 300s?

The Cush wrote: »
    Is it the Freeview terrestrial channels or the FTA satellite channels that start at 21?

On the Walker TVs the satellite channels start at 301 and cannot be moved lower down the epg, this appears to be different for this box. If the number of satellite channels stored goes beyond 199, do they overspill into the 200s or into the 300s?

I only have satellite connected now

So if I download my satellite channels (Astra 2 selection of channels)
    The Astra 2 channels start at No. 1

I then do a scan on the Saorsat (Kasat 9) satellite

Astra 2 channels then move to No. 21

Saorsat Radio channels start at No. 200

Extra channels scaned on Astra 2 are coming in after the RTE radio stations at 210 onwards

You can delete Saorsat blank channels and move the astra list up starting at No. 8 for example, but a little time consuming as you can only move 10 stations at a time.

Much easier and quicker to create a Fav list in any number order (One button selects all, then just remove the Saorsat blanks, add selection to Fav) only takes a few moments.

If I connected the Terrestrial aerial, Terrestrial channels would go into No. 1 onwards and Sat channels similar to the TV setup.

For the purpouse of BBC, I have the Internet Disconnected, however no problem connecting/disconnecting the internet, Im watching the Youtube Boxing this evening, great picture quality live stream

@FRIENDO
    What's the story there?

Sorry to claridy, they're not on the default channel list that comes with the box but you can add them in.
    I didn't as it's an 80 year old getting the box and hoping that sticking to the "out of the box" channel list saves channels going missing later therefore increasing reliability meaning I don't have to get involved :D

Seriously impressed with this yoke, I did loads of digging and they all just seemed messy to set up and organise channels etc. The Walker box is just so nice and comfortable to use.

Turlock wrote: »
    Sorry to claridy, they're not on the default channel list that comes with the box but you can add them in.
    I didn't as it's an 80 year old getting the box and hoping that sticking to the "out of the box" channel list saves channels going missing later therefore increasing reliability meaning I don't have to get involved
    If this is the same as the TVs the stored satellite channels can be saved to USB drive in Satcodx format. The problem with the default channel list is that channel frequencies will change over time and the default list will no longer be up to date.

I keep a USB drive permanently attached and any changes are updated to the drive.

If this is the same as the TVs the stored satellite channels can be saved to USB drive in Satcodx format. The problem with the default channel list is that channel frequencies will change over time and the default list will no longer be up to date.

I keep a USB drive permanently attached and any changes are updated to the drive.

Ye it has the Satcodx, I ammended the Walker list, reorganising and adding channels and saved to the USB, works well

Same as that, the biggest seller in the shop i work for is Walker and at the moment the walker wps 3219sm is the most popular TV sold and especially for the elderly people and non techies. I have the Irish channels 1-10 and straight after that UK channels start at 301 upwards. so simple to use, channel up and down and volume up and down power on power off button. I also disable the sources on the TV so it leaves only 5 buttons for people to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Satcodx sdx files are used almost exclusively by vestel these days.

There's a free channel list editor out there for them.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/novasatcodx/

And there are paid for ones like setedit

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Good thread. Looks like a good alternative to the Sab Titan 4 combo box.

Is there only one USB port on this Walker WPS818C? The one on the front? If I want to connect a USB/HDD, will I have to look at a cable sticking out of the front of the unit? Not sure I like that if so.

Has anybody used the aerial out jack? I have a Saorview tuner on the TV that I’d still like to send a signal to without having to use a splitter. The reason I’m getting the combo box is so that I can record/pause live which the TV doesn’t support. I'd also like to use one remote to browse instead of jumping between my sat box and the TV remote.

Cheers.

eggerb wrote: »
    Good thread. Looks like a good alternative to the Sab Titan 4 combo box.

Is there only one USB port on this Walker WPS818C? The one on the front? If I want to connect a USB/HDD, will I have to look at a cable sticking out of the front of the unit? Not sure I like that if so.

Has anybody used the aerial out jack? I have a Saorview tuner on the TV that I’d still like to send a signal to without having to use a splitter. The reason I’m getting the combo box is so that I can record/pause live which the TV doesn’t support. I'd also like to use one remote to browse instead of jumping between my sat box and the TV remote.

Cheers.

Yes, hardrive is connected to the front of the box.
    Recording has worked perfect

Yes, hardrive is connected to the front of the box.
    Recording has worked perfect

You'd think they'd have included another port outta sight. Or, an IR eye do I could hide the yoke. Search continues methinks. Cheers.

Then again, I could strip a USB back like this one and maybe I wouldn't notice it. Assuming it can take flash memory. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

I've a humax 1100s, would this walker box with an ext HDD give me the same freesat functionality but also saorview recording facilities as well?

funnyname wrote: »
    I've a humax 1100s, would this walker box with an ext HDD give me the same freesat functionality but also saorview recording facilities as well?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

No.

So correct me if I've got this wrong but I've just reread the full thread and I'm taking in that I can tune in the saorview channels and the freesat ones with a combined amendable egp and then add an ext HDD to record channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

So correct me if I've got this wrong but I've just reread the full thread and I'm taking in that I can tune in the saorview channels and the freesat ones with a combined amendable egp and then add an ext HDD to record channels?

its saorview and free to air satellite not freesat

• Advertisement

The Walker box gives you one list of channels including Saorview and UK Free to Air Channels.

Its a simple box to use.

The Saorview Channels come with a 7 day programme guide.

You can get Digital Aertel on RTE channels and Red button function on BBC channels.

The Satellite Channels only come with whats on Now and Next in the programme guide.

Recording on Saorview channels is easy and reliable.

You would have to set timers on UK Satellite channels if recording anything after the Now and Next programmes.

However unlike Freesat, the Walker Combo does not have serial link for recording.

You can set daily or weekly timers for recording on the Walker.

Freesat also allows you watch one programme and record another, Or record two programmes at the same time. You cannot do this on the Walker.

Advertisement