Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting challenge.. whos with me? :]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

molly2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This is a brillant idea. Can you add me to the list - Planning to stop smoking tommorrow or today as have only 3 cigs left. Really want to give up as my lungs are in a bad way and keep getting colds and chest infections.

Im the same, if I get a cold during the winter I am GUARANTEED it will turn into a chest infection and severe asthma, I ended up in a & e on a saturday night last winter because of it... worst 8 hours of my life.
    Same as molly2, had to get a bloody chest x-ray during the week cos of my frequent bouts of bronchitis. It's just embarrassing that a grown adult can keep doing something that's bad for them, even when they can see the effects. Ugh, so mad at myself. So for definite had my last one last night. As I won't get into town to buy any sort of patches or anything I guess going cold turkey for the start, but I like the mouse/human analogy. And chocolate. I'll use chocolate too. So put me down for quitting today!

Again, same as above... ive also recently started a new job in a hospital and when im passing through radiology see quite a few elderly patients down for chest xrays.... theres nothing like seeing someone whose been smoking for the better part of 50 years to make you want to give up!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Hiya, I didn't make it last time only lasted 1 day :mad:. So i set a date and have been aiming for it. Today is the date, tuesday after electric picnic and so I am back at day one. Feeling pretty good so far, had my last smoke last night and I didn't enjoy it, I think I opened my mind to the taste for the first time ever and god they are rotten. Anyway best of luck to every one here. :)

Hey hey, how are we all getting on in here?!?!?!?

Im still off them, a month tommorow i think!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Bunged up with a horrible cold, mainlining LemSip, but still off the smokes.

It ain't easy, but I'm now at the point where I'll go two hours without even thinking of them, and then get hit by a craving.

So far though, Niquitin is doing its job, and I've now saved almost €320!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Well I'd love to say I'm nearly a month in but that would be a lie. Still puffing on the bloody things. I'm givign them up very soon so don't cross me off yet!!!

And well done to anyone who's off them. You are totally wonderful and I admire you greatly:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well after 20 years of 20 30 a day I've knocked them on the head. Off them now for 4 days. I've tried before but would cheat left right and center. I tried hypnosis(useless), allen carr(didn't do it for me at all), acupuncture(completely pointless(no pun intended), patches(they had the best effect I must say). This time I have patches but haven't bothered with them. I may do though.

I will say that any time I did try before I missed the smell and taste of them enormously and I was someone who really liked smoking. I know people say that's bull, but I did. Not every one of them, but at least half of them. This time? Nope. I think I've had maybe three twinges of loss.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Yesterday I read a load of the posts in this forum and got myself real motivated. I went to the chemist and bought nicorette gum and this morning for the first time in I dont know how long I didnt have that first smoke.
    On my 3rd gum now and its not as bad as i expected.
    Smoking for twenty years and I do wake up because I need a smoke. I really hope this can be the end of it. I'm used to giving up stuff-used to have a big coke problem but dealt with that almost 2 years ago with a 3 month stint in treatment in Luton and I think if I could do that I can do this.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well after 20 years of 20 30 a day I've knocked them on the head. Off them now for 4 days. I've tried before but would cheat left right and center. I tried hypnosis(useless), allen carr(didn't do it for me at all), acupuncture(completely pointless(no pun intended), patches(they had the best effect I must say). This time I have patches but haven't bothered with them. I may do though.

I will say that any time I did try before I missed the smell and taste of them enormously and I was someone who really liked smoking. I know people say that's bull, but I did. Not every one of them, but at least half of them. This time? Nope. I think I've had maybe three twinges of loss.

Whoop! Go Wibbs!

We can sit in the corner at the next beers and pretend were not desperately craving a cigarette after that 5th drink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

it's great what you guy's are doing
    keep it up
    im off them a little over two months and haven't felt this good in a long time
    more money
    better sence of smell
    teeth not have a yellow
    ill live an extra 41/2 days
    did i say more money

well done guys

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Off them myself since Sunday evening.

I'm actually surprised how it's not so bad this time. Tried to quit last year and it was a nightmare. I guess I have more motivataion this time around.
    This board has been really helpfull too. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Well done I am logging in regularly to keep tracks on how ye are getting on and sending my good wishes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi I had said I'd quit after the Electric Picnic but between one thing and another I haven't got into the Doc to get prescription for Champix.. I am now thinking not to try it... don't want nightmares... So am considering the nicotine mint things and the inhaler.... I've started Allen Carr..

I just need to pick a day now... maybe tomorrow... or else Monday... God I need to kick myself to do it! Looking forward to it but dreading it at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Ok, I'm in aswell. Have given up a few times before and always ended up back on them. GOing home to read Alan Carr tonight and pick my day. Might try the nicorette aswell although with me I also think its a purely mental challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

just had my last one.... skagging already but this time i'm serious... good luck everyone...

Best of luck to the quitters. I quit five years ago and it's the best thing I ever did.
    One bit of advice I'll give is to take it one day at a time. Sounds cliched but I swear it's what works.
    Don't think ahead to the weekend, or the gig, or the wedding coming up or whatever. Just live in the here and now and tell yourself you won't smoke today.

I promise, one day, not too far in the future, you'll suddenly realise you haven't thought about smoking all day.... and you won't be able to get the grin off your face!

It's the best thing you'll ever do.
    No ex-smoker ever regrets quitting... most smokers regret that they didn't. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wee g

Hiya, I would like to join you on your quest to be non-smokers!!! I am taking champix and am now at day 4:p. I have no idea how i have done it as was a fairly heavy smoker and am just so chuffed with myself and the tab obviously. Looking forward to catching up with you soon and good luck.

Gx

Contestants: !!
    1. DAEDULUS[Started 13 August]
    2. SuperStarHoney[Started 11 August - 1 day so far]
    3. Karen_*[Started 13 August]
    4. Magicmatilda[Started 11 August - 1 day so far]
    5. Wee G (started 15/9/08 - 4 days so far)
    +

I m on day 2 - fear I ll never be able to drink alcohol again though.
    Liqurice is supposed to help detract from cravings - so gonna try it - really dont know if I can quit without becoming really fat.. Not my first attempt
    Anyway here goes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Count me in!! Starting tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I've a full box sitting on front of me at the moment, so I'll be trying again on Wednesday.

Tried a few months ago and only maanged to last a couple of days. No willpower at all. :D

Day 8 and i still can't believe how easy im finding it so far. No craving at all. Champix are the best. was away for a wedding anniversary weekend and hubby still smoking, didnt bother me at all. after meal i felt something was missing but still didnt realise till later that it may have been cos i didnt have a fag. I would recommend champix to any one of you. Good luck and keep me posted xx

Gx:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Well done to everyone above!

I'm also on Champix. This is day 8 of the tabs, so I've just started onto the full strength tablet this morning. To echo what everyone else is saying, I really can't believe how effective champix has been.

When I started on the med, I chose day 10 as my quitting day, but by day 2 I realised that all I was getting from each cigarette was a nasty taste in my mouth - no nicotine rush whatsoever. By day 5, I was down to 3 cigs a day, purely through association (aprés dinner, with a cup of tea, etc). On day 6 I smoked my last cigarette at 3pm and threw away the remainder. Now approaching 48 hrs off the fags and I feel great. It all seems so easy, which is in stark contrast to all my previous pathetic attempts at quitting.

I still feel like something is missing when I find myself in situations where I used to have a smoke, but I know that will pass through time.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

I finished my last cig at 8 last night. Feel suprisingly good this morning. Had breakfast for the first time ever and am now sitting with a box of mandarins beside me. Feeling very positive about this attempt!! How is everyone else getting on?

I was finding it very hard so I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Champix. I though I'd smoke until I was meant to stop but found I barely did at all-was down to a pack lasting 3 days from 1 and a half packs a day. So yesterday was stop day and I didnt smoke yesterday or today.
    Campix seems like a wonder drug to me although there are some side effects like nausea when I take the morning one and there is a slight feeling of detachment from everything but that isnt as bad now.
    Anyway I would recommend it although it is still early days. Day two now without a smoke-years since I've made it this far!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Hey,

Just saw the thread! Attempting to quit myself. Last one was yesterday around 1pm! The thing is, I've always been able to go without them but if someone has one or if I'm in a shop I find it hard to resist! One of the lads will be in now with a smoke so I just gotta be strong!

Day 9 fag free and feeling good. Just had ma porridge and thats me for the day. Anyone trying to give up - please try Champix - if you are not already....... maybe i should be on commission! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Right, that's it. I'm gonna give it a go. I just had my last cigarette ever. Gonna buy the pathes today but will only use them when needed. My partner wouldn't stop with me so it's gonna be harder being around him. I think if he sees me doing well, he'll be motivated to stop too. Wish me luck!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm off them two odd weeks at this stage. Had one or two cravings but nothing drastic. Cold turkey all the way if you can do it. I'd be dubious about medication like champix etc. If it works for you though cool.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Fair play to you Wibbs. I really dont see myself staying the full 3 month course of Champix but its the crutch I need to get me going.

Smoked 17 years.
    Not my first or second attempt but feel really positive about giving up this time - want to be healthier and smoke free. Sick of wanting to give up and resenting myself for smoking - stopped enjoying them long long time hopefully will this time.
    If get cravings I go for some licorice. (no fat)
    Starting dance and pilates classes
    So afraid to have a drink though- going for a beer tonight.. :eek:

Thread is a good idea - best of luck to all, keep up the good work! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

Wibbs, fair play to you, I never managed to do it cold turkey, and have nothing but respect for those who can.

I'm now into week seven on the patches, the step down from 21 to 14 caused a few wobbles, but nothing drastic enough to make me light a fag.

Jaffa20, the one piece of advice I would have for you is the patches don't give instant relief, they release tiny amounts of nicotine into the system over an elongated period.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to use either gum, lozenges or an inhalator if you want something to give a boost when needed. I find the best thing about the patches is they don't work on a craving / response cycle, which breaks the habit of easing a craving by taking action.

Advertisement