Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting challenge.. whos with me? :]

Options
  • 12-08-2008 4:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

ok so.. quitting after I finish my last 14 smokes.. probably tonight or so,then I am gonna begin quitting....
    Hopefully others will quit with me, and we can give each other support in this thread :D
    logging it as we go along would be cool.. :]
    I dont plan on using nicorette or anything just the classic cold turkey.. :D
    If anyone wants to tag along I'll add your name to the list below as well as updating the number of days you've been off the smokes, hopefully by the time it says "[Off 5 days]" it will look nice enough to keep you motivated through the harder patches..
    I'll keep updating your # of days unless you say otherwise, so keep fill us in if you cracked etc.. :p
    If I make it to my birthday on the 31st I'l be chuffed :D

Contestants: !!
    1. DAEDULUS[Started 13 August]
    2. SuperStarHoney[Started 11 August - 1 day so far]
    3. Karen_*[Started 13 August]
    4. Magicmatilda[Started 11 August - 1 day so far]
    +

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Stick me down, I began my latest attempt yesterday August 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

:DOk stick me down!!!

Karen 13th August.

I have twenty fags left:D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Put me down had my last smoke last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

hi there I'd be interested only thing is I've been planning my quit date for the past year! And I've chosen September ( after Electric Picnic smokathon) and with the use of Champix and Allen Carr.. Cold Turkey never worked for me..
    I guess you lot will be well off them by then so?

We'll still be tortured no doubt so you can join us moaning in September!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Oh thanks Karen! :D My initial date was for 1st sept but you need to take champix 10 days I think before hand... Don't want to be feeling possible side effects in middle of EP (nausea etc on top of hangovers) So thinking if I start tabs on 1st Sept should be fit to quit on 10th?? Not sure will check with doc..
    am dreading it but also looking forward to it in a weird way... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

ok.. updated the OP, have 8 smokes left at this stage.. when I created the thread at like 4am this morning I was expecting to stay up and have finished them by the evening.. ended up falling asleep so I guess I'm starting tomoro :F

Well I guess superstarhoney and magicmatilda have the lead then :D 1 day is hard enough as it is, so good job :D

:eek:I still have ten ciggies left!!!

I thought I'd give you all some background on my attempt. Have been smoking since I was about 14 or 15, I'm 29 this month. I'd call myself a mid range smoker, probably round 15 a day and like everybody else a lot more than that when I'm drinking.

I stopped last June and although I had two slips (two cigs one night in Aug and one cig in December), I was pretty much of them until February this year. From February to April, I was making excuses to smoke here and there and since May I've been pretty much back on them full time.

I didn't use anything the last time I gave up and I'm not using anything this time, although I am working of the Alan Carr method (have read the book at least five times) which in my view is to be totally positive about the decision from the start.

Anyway three days in and I'm doing fine, I'm with AC on the physical cravings, they are minimal and my battle is definitely a mental one which hopefully I can overcome. I think the lessons I learned from my last attempt should help me finally do it this time.

Best of luck to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Haven't had one since last Friday - on the patches since I cam back to work though.

Doing ok but the boredom kills me.

• Advertisement

I've five left!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Firstly I would like to congratulate everyone who has made the jump to quit, it's half the battle convincing yourself to quit.

I am going to the chemist tomorrow to pick up my prescription for champix and hopefully within the next fortnight I will be putting my name down.

Once again congrats to everyone.

Right well I bought fags yesterday and have to finish them so am starting today. You will forgive me because yesterday was my birthday, I don't drink and was on a diet and couldn't have cake. So new start today? Apologies fellow quitters for falling at the first hurdle:D

wont let me edit OP :/

1. DAEDULUS[Started 13 August 1 day so far]
    2. SuperStarHoney[Started 11 August - 3 days so far]
    3. Karen_*[Started 14 August]
    4. Magicmatilda[Started 11 August - 3 days so far]
    5. Keyzer[Started 8 August - 6 days so far]
    +

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

I would suggest that anyone has cigs left around the place, just destroy them immediately. As long as you are around them all the time, you will always find a reason to smoke them.
    Destroying them is nicely symbolic of your intentions too, to rid yourself of this s*hite once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You only have a certain amount of time to edit your post.
    Give me a shout if you want it edited again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Madra Sneachta

As good a thread as any for a first post since I've been lurking around this particular sub-forum for about a fortnight.

I smoked my last cigarette just before midnight on Sunday August 3rd. Using the 24 hour patch, and all is going reasonably well.

If 12 days isn't too much of a head start, count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Swimming helps ppl give up smokes and saunas clear the nico from the body very fast.

After that its just habbit .. all in the head. Are you human or mice ...

Imagine the addict part of you as a little mouse and when it starts just put a glass bowl over it. See that shuts the bastard up.

Fight the good fight ppl and get swimming and chilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Hey count me in! Been smoke free since thus morn just gone - which feels like eternity :(

On the patches, keep getting up at advert breaks and remember i dont have any smokes so im reaching for sugar free polos - not quite the same :rolleyes:

Im sure it will get better but I want to light up my patch right now :pac:

i think this is getting to me :[
    had little bit of trouble sleeping night before last but as far as not smoking goes during the day, i dont find it THAT much of a struggle :o

anyways, good work so far :D

1. DAEDULUS[Started 13 August 4 day so far]
    2. SuperStarHoney[Started 11 August - 6 days so far]
    3. Karen_*[Started 14 August - 3 days so far]
    4. Magicmatilda[Started 11 August - 6 days so far]
    5. Keyzer[Started 8 August - 9 days so far]
    6. Madra Sneachta[Started 3 August - 14 days so far]
    7. Geo08[Started 16 August - 2 days so far]
    +

• Advertisement

So how's everyone getting on?

So far so good for me. I've been doing a fair bit of exercise so not getting that many cravings, although I was out for dinner on Saturday night and had a strong one after but I just put it out of my mind and was fine after a while.

Going out for dinner again this Saturday and also thinking of having a couple of drinks so hopefully I'll be able to handle it. I need to get used to going out socially without smoking asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

OK, I have 9 cigs left and after that I am in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Count me in! I didnt even know we had a giving up smoking forum on boards... brilliant!

I gave up last monday (11th) using patches, im not strong enough for cold turkey and I know patches work for me... in saying that I forgot to put one on this morning - nearly cried when I was at the bustop and realised! Actually got through today ok, have put one on now that im home though....

I am struggling though, im an emotional wreck!!!! Im crying over absolutely nothing and have this constant unsettled feeling... really really hoping it'll go away soon, ive been like this since the weekend!!

How are you all getting on?????

Reasonably happy. The obsession I had with cigarettes in the first week is going, and I can now send time in the company of smokers without turning into a gibbering wreck.

I'm using the NiquitinCQ 24 hour patch, and it seems to be working reasonably well - It takes the edge off the cravings, but still requires strength.

I've also bought an inhalator to use if things get too much. I've used it once, and it's good to know there's a buffer zone there.

Too often in the past, I've had that overwhelming urge to smoke combined with the sheer panic of feeling "Oh my God I'm going to be this miserable for ever, what's the point?".

The inhalator is the valve on the pressure cooker.

I'm also using the Quitkeeper http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/, which can provide a timely boost at times of pressure (Bloody hell, I've saved €150 ALREADY :eek:)

In the words of a well known supermarket chain - Every little helps!!!!

Cmol, trust me, I know the feeling you describe all too well, and didn't make it past three days several times in the past because of it. All I can say is it is getting easier, and my level of self belief is beginning to grow even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

put me down I smoked my last on monday 18th. Struggling today but I'll get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Im using the 24 hour patches too as they seem to be the only ones I can get here? Taking them off at night though, they mess with my sleep!

Im finding it hard to believe that there will come a time where every second though isnt about cigarettes!

The wierdest thing is the moments I forget that ive given up and go to get a cigarette... the feeling of dissapointment is overwhelming!!!

Might look into getting one of the inhalers too, like you say, just for backup more than anything!

10 days down!
    Reasonably happy. The obsession I had with cigarettes in the first week is going, and I can now send time in the company of smokers without turning into a gibbering wreck.

I'm using the NiquitinCQ 24 hour patch, and it seems to be working reasonably well - It takes the edge off the cravings, but still requires strength.

I've also bought an inhalator to use if things get too much. I've used it once, and it's good to know there's a buffer zone there.

Too often in the past, I've had that overwhelming urge to smoke combined with the sheer panic of feeling "Oh my God I'm going to be this miserable for ever, what's the point?".

The inhalator is the valve on the pressure cooker.

I'm also using the Quitkeeper http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/, which can provide a timely boost at times of pressure (Bloody hell, I've saved €150 ALREADY :eek:)

In the words of a well known supermarket chain - Every little helps!!!!

Cmol, trust me, I know the feeling you describe all too well, and didn't make it past three days several times in the past because of it. All I can say is it is getting easier, and my level of self belief is beginning to grow even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

hey can you put me down aswell started yesterday, the 25th..
    this is a really good idea..

I mentioned the Quitkeeper in a previous post. Here's what mine says today

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds (22 days). I have saved €198.86 by not smoking 537 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 20 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 03/08/2008 23:59

My other incentive is that if I stick with this, there's a cruise ship leaving Malaga in October 2009 and visiting Ajaccio in Corsica (on our 18th wedding anniversary) and Villefranche in France, as well as spending two days at sea in the Med.

I last smoked on the night of the 3rd of this month, and have practically saved €200 already! I'm putting €60 a week into a bank account, the contents of which will determine whether or not my beloved and I are on that ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 molly2

Hi,
    This is a brillant idea. Can you add me to the list - Planning to stop smoking tommorrow or today as have only 3 cigs left. Really want to give up as my lungs are in a bad way and keep getting colds and chest infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Same as molly2, had to get a bloody chest x-ray during the week cos of my frequent bouts of bronchitis. It's just embarrassing that a grown adult can keep doing something that's bad for them, even when they can see the effects. Ugh, so mad at myself. So for definite had my last one last night. As I won't get into town to buy any sort of patches or anything I guess going cold turkey for the start, but I like the mouse/human analogy. And chocolate. I'll use chocolate too. So put me down for quitting today!

Advertisement