Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping smoking for 2008?

Options
  • 01-01-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people are thinking of stopping the smoking for the New Year?
    Good luck to all who try, and heres to a clear breathing 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I quit at 3am on New Years last year. 1 year as an ex smoker and ill never look back. Advice to all-COLD TURKEY! Its tough for the first few weeks but once you get through it, you'll be fine! Best of luck! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I gave up three days ago and I feel awful. Im not gonna use the patches anymore made me feel very weird; pains in my arms, really strange senses of sound etc things that didnt happen when i went cold turkey before and was off 6 months. Also today I seem to have terrible version of the flu maybe related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Jackz wrote: »
    I gave up three days ago and I feel awful. Im not gonna use the patches anymore made me feel very weird; pains in my arms, really strange senses of sound etc things that didnt happen when i went cold turkey before and was off 6 months. Also today I seem to have terrible version of the flu maybe related.

well done and good luck jack! the first 3 days are torture but its all easier from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

i stopped smoking yesterday morning. Today is horrible! i feel like death! cant think straight, cant sit still and i feel like i need to unload on a punching bag! finding it really hard not to bite the head of people. It will all be worth it though in a few weeks when i start to feel a lot better from no smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Will try in the next week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I stopped yesterday morning. Today ain't going so bad although I do miss the breaks I used to take just to have a smoke.

I have one pack of gum which I'll use if things get very bad but I've only used one so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Day two myself as a non-smoker. Feeling some really weird sensations at the moment. It's like a very mild high or something, well i suppose it's that little beast inside looking for a nicotine fix. I'll try to stay strong. Not taking any of them patches or anything else. going the cold turkey route. btw, anyone recommend any good websites for showing the different stages the body goes through when giving up.

syngin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Day 2 now. I found yesterday pretty easy but today has been much worse. I keep getting small bouts of frustration and anxiety. I cant think staright at all. Its gonna be worth it though. I cant go on being a smoker its just not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Jeapy wrote: »
    Advice to all-COLD TURKEY! Its tough for the first few weeks but once you get through it, you'll be fine! Best of luck! :D

I'd say check out the alan carr book too - it will only tell you what you already know but it can still be useful.

Patches for the first few days then cold turkey - after the first few weeks you realise its mostly psychological. I am off them since april - saved a fortune (prob enough for a flatscreen tv by now) and feel better - though the 'kill your granny for a cigarette' feelings come back now and then but its worth it.

Morlar wrote: »
    I'd say check out the alan carr book too - it will only tell you what you already know but it can still be useful.

About 4 years ago i read the Alan Carr book and managed to quit for a few years after reading the book. Not sure if it will be any use in reading it again. Is anyone else in this predicimant?

• Advertisement

My boyfriend is giving up for the new years
    Can anyone offer me any advice in which to help him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i said to myself i would give up the smokes in the new year

i have about 15 cigarettes left in my last packet and when they are gone, hope to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Me too off them since about new years eve!! The first day was pretty hard esp the evening but i am sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere.
    govinda wrote: »
    There is also a free e-book by Mark Jordan, Stop Smoking - Break the Chains, which you can Google for and download......thats the book I read back in August; I was absolutely gasping for a cigarette while reading it, petrified to quit but I took a chance, followed his instructions and I feel so much better for it now.

I decided to google this book, have to say i found it very good, a lot of home truths and stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

I have also downloaded this book.

I stopped for four years after using Alan Carrs book- and the Carr book has not had the same effect since.

So far so good this time and the Mark Jordan book is helping. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nimi85

I stopped smoking 2 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 18 seconds ago..

feeling good.. im surprised that I'm not going crazy.. Went for a 3 mile jog this morning and didnt loose my breath like I normally do.. Cud have been a figment of my imagination tho!!

Sitting my finals next week... Mr Marbolo is normally my best friend at exam time, wish me luck!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Delighted to hear others are getting the benefits of that excellent book; I'm into the 5th month now. Good luck to you all with your quits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciggy

I am giving up the fags tommorw, i have bought the patches niquitin, so just wondering what patches have you gone on?
    I have a cold, so that will help me more I hope. As at hte moment i am down to 10 fags, and can't taste them. is that a good thing?

ciggy dont bother with the nicotine subsititute- its only prolonging the inevitable.

cold turkey and the carr or other book is the best way to do this IMO. Get your head around it and get it out of your system!

http://www.download.com/Stop-Smoking-Break-the-Chains-A-Free-eBook/3000-2056_4-10171282.html?tag=lst-1

Best of luck with this.

Sincerely.

ye ciggy, i don't agree either with the nicotine substitute. In fact i have been driven feckin demented by all the advertising aver the past 3 days on the tv with ads for all this substitute ****e. Go for the Carr book and hit the turkey :),. On my third day myself and had such an urge earlier while i was getting bread and milk in the shop. Happy to report that i happily resisted.:D

again, best of luck to everyone in the same boat as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi Guys,

Had my last smoke on New Years Day, so just on day 2 now,
    have the High / dizzy feeling all day and fine it hard to concentrate
    hopefully it will clear tomorrow as i did not feel comfortable driving.
    Hubby has also started being a non smoker so we are in it together for the long haul extra €500 a month will come in handy :D

• Advertisement

govinda wrote: »
    Delighted to hear others are getting the benefits of that excellent book; I'm into the 5th month now. Good luck to you all with your quits!

Thanks for posting about, really is helping i think! A couple of touch and go moments but i find personally that not carry cash with me really goes a long way towards coming out the other side of them tbh!!

Good Luck to everyone giving up!!

Well how is everyone getting on?? Made so far with a clean sheet think it may even be getting easier tbh!

All going ok so far. I've only been able to give up for a week at a time until now over the past few years.

Feeling normal enough now so am through the worst. Watch out though- cravings (i.e clear 'rational' thoughts that you want a cig) can hit you from out of the blue even over the next couple of weeks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I have not smoked, I have felt really really bad up until today, although I continue to have the following two moments regularly:

1) After food, after I have completed a work thing and at other random times my brain goes DING smoke time and I will look to a place where I used to keep those nasty vile things and even put my fingers in the shape to take one from the box. I feel a bit like a lost puppy then.

2) Trying to convince myself there are good reasons for me to go and get a pack, and the sensible part of my brain (good jack) going haha your a fu(king moron. I have a list also on paper of reasons for me personally not to smoke (I feel all American :( ), I look at it during these moments.

Jackz wrote: »
    I have not smoked, I have felt really really bad up until today, although I continue to have the following two moments regularly:

1) After food, after I have completed a work thing and at other random times my brain goes DING smoke time and I will look to a place where I used to keep those nasty vile things and even put my fingers in the shape to take one from the box. I feel a bit like a lost puppy then.

2) Trying to convince myself there are good reasons for me to go and get a pack, and the sensible part of my brain (good jack) going haha your a fu(king moron. I have a list also on paper of reasons for me personally not to smoke (I feel all American :( ), I look at it during these moments.

keep it up you are doing great!

we all have those inner dialogues and arguments just don't let the feckin eejit win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

cance wrote: »
    keep it up you are doing great!

we all have those inner dialogues and arguments just don't let the feckin eejit win!

:-) I picture the traditional image of one on each shoulder, and arguing over what to do. Never listen to the one in the red suit with the pitch fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UserRuse

Day 7 today and having a bad time with cravings. This is the worst day so far for some reason. I can't think why it's so bad as it's been reasonably manageable up to this point. I've a dull aching head to go with it too and I seem to have started grinding my teeth as my jaws are bloody aching!!

Arrrggghh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

UserRuse wrote: »
    Day 7 today and having a bad time with cravings. This is the worst day so far for some reason. I can't think why it's so bad as it's been reasonably manageable up to this point. I've a dull aching head to go with it too and I seem to have started grinding my teeth as my jaws are bloody aching!!

Arrrggghh!!

Might sound silly, but try closing your eyes and taking long deep slow breaths when the cravings hit, just focusing only on your breathing. They'll pass before you know it, and they'll get easier and easier to deal with. (this worked for me)

UserRuse wrote: »

Arrrggghh!!

relax what you are suffering is monday not a worst smoking day. Just calm down and try to control your thoughts this will pass so keep your mind occupied, go for a walk, have a nice big glass of cold water, do as suggested and close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing.

it always passes and its 7 days till your next monday, keep strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Lidl chewing gum lads.. works wonders. Chewing some as I speak.

@Ulster.. I hope it worked for you. I found it a lot easier to give up when there were still cigs in the box, as there's no "I've no fags left" panic. (I still have 142 left even tho I gave up ~7 weeks ago)

Advertisement