Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2019, 22:21   #16
Achasanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
If you mean the church, it won't close as it is still in use as a church. The vaults bring in some revenue from tours so I doubt they will be closed either. These lovely historic churches still retain small but loyal congregations. It was a regretful decision when the CoI closed St. Mary's in Mary Street and St. Paul's in N. King Street. But that was then, and this is now. Property is viewed differently now.

Surely the reasons the CoI churches were closed in the past will be the reasons they will close in the future? What's changed in how property is viewed nowadays? I would imagine it's all down to costs of upkeep and the size of the congregation. Did St Thomas' not close recently?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 16:23   #17
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achasanai View Post
Surely the reasons the CoI churches were closed in the past will be the reasons they will close in the future? What's changed in how property is viewed nowadays? I would imagine it's all down to costs of upkeep and the size of the congregation. Did St Thomas' not close recently?

What's changed? Years ago when a congregation couldn't keep up the financial burden of the parish the church was closed and probably sold to commercial interests. Today when a congregation can't afford to keep going they are moved to another parish but their church then can be used for something else, but not sold. St. Thomas's did close but has recently reopened with a different function I think.
Thanks from:
01-03-2019, 16:28   #18

This is really a terrible thing that has happened.

Besides ruining a wonderful place to visit they have desecrated actual human remains. So disrespectful.

Im really saddened by it.
Thanks from:
02-03-2019, 00:57   #19
BalcombeSt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
Personally I think it's time that the remains were buried in a more secure location. People seem to forget that these are remains of actual human beings and not exhibitions to be gawk at by tourists.
Don't thousands of tourists gawk at Lenin & Mao's remains every minute on Youtube and every year in person?
Thanks from:
03-03-2019, 00:35   #20
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Don't thousands of tourists gawk at Lenin & Mao's remains every minute on Youtube and every year in person?
Yes, and it's also quite gruesome. They should be laid to rest imo.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2019, 12:44   #21
whisky_galore

Quote:

There's a whole travelling exhibition of preserved sliced up human bodies. Egyptian mummies etc. People are inquisitive about such things and pay good money to see them. If it isn't your bag it's someone else's.
05-03-2019, 12:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Not to mention Saint Oliver Plunkett's head in Drogheda.
05-03-2019, 19:00   #23
L1011

Head and skull recovered, quicker than the heart was anyway. Hopefully this means they have the people to prosecute
06-03-2019, 09:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Head and skull recovered, quicker than the heart was anyway. Hopefully this means they have the people to prosecute
Also indicates that this was just mindless vandalism.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2019, 19:44   #25
Jellybaby1

Mebbe they thought they weren't real! P'raps they read this thread and realised they had real live dead people!!
12-03-2019, 22:43   #26
dSchwainass
Banned

Quote:
You are imposing your own values here. Medieval people were very familiar with the idea of relics and it was a lot more normal than to be close to human remains than it is today.
12-03-2019, 23:55   #27
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSchwainass View Post
You are imposing your own values here. Medieval people were very familiar with the idea of relics and it was a lot more normal than to be close to human remains than it is today.
Neither you or I are Medieval people. I don’t think or behave like a medieval person. Do you?
13-03-2019, 18:19   #28
dSchwainass
Banned

Quote:
Neither you or I are Medieval people. I don’t think or behave like a medieval person. Do you?
No, but it isnt true that they that necessarily share modern sensibilities in this regard.
14-03-2019, 00:37   #29
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSchwainass View Post
No, but it isnt true that they that necessarily share modern sensibilities in this regard.

Not sure what you mean.
14-03-2019, 10:43   #30

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.
That the medieval people themselves would not mind their remains being used as relics.

Personally I wouldnt either.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion