Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Ok cheers for the quick reply, if all of this can be done on your mobile then why do people pay up to €200 on a Logitech remote?

Also does it use, IR, Bluetooth or wi-fi to talk to your devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Can someone please tell me in layman's terms what the harmony hub actually does and do I need the remote also.
    Thanks.

The hub allows you to control pretty much any devices that have remotes in your gaff, via your local wifi, or via the Internet. It allows you to use smartphones as universal remotes, so you don't actually need a Harmony remote, but it's probably a bit of a kludge to continually have to unlock and open an app to do the sort of repetitive stuff the remote does. The hub also has wired infrared 'blasters' that allow you to move/hide IR remote controlled devices into cabinets or whatnot - out of line of sight. And the hub is controllable to a greater or lesser degree by Amazon Echo/Dot, so it's a route into voice control of a lot of devices that don't have direct Alexa skills. It uses WiFi, RF, IR and Bluetooth, and acts as a bridge between the different channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

for those set up with Hive, here are a few deals if looking to add to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Broadlink RM Pro Wi-Fi Smart Home Automation Learning Universal Remote Control,WiFi+IR+RF

Handy for controlling some fairly un-smart IR/433MHz products. 21% off at £22.16

Also works with IFTTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Graham wrote: »
    Broadlink RM Pro Wi-Fi Smart Home Automation Learning Universal Remote Control,WiFi+IR+RF

Handy for controlling some fairly un-smart IR/433MHz products. 21% off at £22.16

Also works with IFTTT
    How does this compare to the Logitech hub and can Alexa talk to it?
    Basically I'm wondering if through my echo dot and this can I ask Alexa to turn on my TV and change the channel on my Zgemma h2s?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How does this compare to the Logitech hub and can Alexa talk to it?
    Basically I'm wondering if through my echo dot and this can I ask Alexa to turn on my TV and change the channel on my Zgemma h2s?

I've only seen mention of Alexa compatibility via an Android App or Smartthings hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

AEON ZW112 Door/Window Sensor 6 - White

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016ZV42GU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hCnxyb9WQ59HJ

Window / door sensor. I got one at full whack a while ago, down to £39 now though. Works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I believe this to be something of a bargain- Philips Bloom €69.99 in Woodies, looks to be £75 on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I believe this to be something of a bargain- Philips Bloom €69.99 in Woodies, looks to be £75 on Amazon.

Same price in Curry's if someone hasn't a Woodie's near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Rotary939

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit for £100 lightening deal on Amazon.co.uk
    33% off (£50)
    can't post URL, sorry

2.5 hrs and 50% remaining

Picked up a set. Great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Rotary939 wrote: »
    Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit for £100 lightening deal on Amazon.co.uk
    33% off (£50)
    can't post URL, sorry

That's a fantastic deal. The 1 m lightstrip extensions down to £14 too.

I have a hub already but with the above set I'd get another. Is there any need for a second hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I have a hub already but with the above set I'd get another. Is there any need for a second hub?

Only if you plan on having more than 50 connected light's

Flog it or keep it as a spare I suppose. Not sure what I'll do with mine.

I doubt I'd get to that level. I suppose I can sell the hub on or keep it as a spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,916 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Rotary939 wrote:
    Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting E27 Starter Kit for £100 lightening deal on Amazon.co.uk 33% off (£50) can't post URL, sorry

Rotary939 wrote:

Bollix. Missed that.

Got a 300e all4one gift card (acts as a visa vard) burning a hole in my pocket. Would have loved to get started with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Wait can I use all4one on Amazon?

• Advertisement

Wait can I use all4one on Amazon?

Yep. I did a month back. You convert it to Amazon gift vouchers. Only takes a minute.

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/amazon-ie.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The limit is unofficially 63 bulbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I doubt I'd get to that level. I suppose I can sell the hub on or keep it as a spare.

Never doubt it, I'm on 43 at the moment!!

Never doubt it, I'm on 43 at the moment!!

I'd only need 41 to fill all lamps and lights in my house :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Philips hue bloom is reduced by 30 sterling to 49.95 on amazon at the minute. I'm no expert on the bloom pricing but I think that's one of the cheapest I've seen for them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KDG58BC#Ask

Smartthings starter kit down to £139.99 again, I really like mine and think I'll be using my one4all vouchers to get some more sensors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Smartthings starter kit down to £139.99 again, I really like mine and think I'll be using my one4all vouchers to get some more sensors

where???

mossym wrote: »
    where???

Hey guess what im an idiot!

Luckily others are here to pick up the slack and make sure I never learn my lesson.

Hey guess what im an idiot!

Luckily others are here to pick up the slack and make sure I never learn my lesson.

simple mistake!! was looking at these today so was wondering where they were on sale

simple mistake!! was looking at these today so was wondering where they were on sale

Not my first or last. I do like mine a lot, and still havnt delved in properly as I need a few moire sensors and hue lights I feel, but I probably wouldnt have gone for it at the regular price on Amazon, and I think its even more in Currys and the like here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Roen wrote: »
    Yep. I did a month back. You convert it to Amazon gift vouchers. Only takes a minute.

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/amazon-ie.html

You sir are a hero!! Thanks ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yamanoto wrote: »

I just came to post this, CamelCamelCamel just emailed me about the price drop. Great price for a starter kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I just came to post this, CamelCamelCamel just emailed me about the price drop. Great price for a starter kit

Got here before me. Great offer on starter kit

I just ordered another set (Don't need the bridge) but the single Bulb offer only allows you to buy 2 per customer. Starter kit offer is a better deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Amb...2730640&sr=1-2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Just got the start kit and two bulbs. Needed a few of these so great bargain !

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Yamanoto wrote: »

Is there much of a difference in this set and the newer generation?

Edit - it appears to be sold out now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Saw it earlier, delayed and now missed it

Saw this early this morning in a sales notification I got from Amazon, came on to post it but was already here and in BA . Succumbed shortly afterward and purchased.

I've now gone from having no home automation gear to 2 dots, 4 to link smart switches and now these, all since yesterday

Slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Saw this early this morning in a sales notification I got from Amazon, came on to post it but was already here and in BA . Succumbed shortly afterward and purchased.

I've now gone from having no home automation gear to 2 dots, 4 to link smart switches and now these, all since yesterday

Slippery slope.

You'll be wanting the Harmony Elite next! Having Alexa turn on & off your TV for you, change channel etc. is pretty special!

Slippery slope indeed, I have slid all the way off a cliff in little over a week!

You'll be wanting the Harmony Elite next! Having Alexa turn on & off your TV for you, change channel etc. is pretty special!

Slippery slope indeed, I have slid all the way off a cliff in little over a week!

Have the elite already, have had harmony's since their very first model, years before Logitech bought them, so wasn't including as a new automation tool, but yeah, have Alexa controlling all the gear in the cinema room by voice and it's very cool

• Advertisement

What? I didn't know Harmony did this!! Do you just say Alexa go to Sky 1?

Pretty much, any channel you set up as a favourite can be voice controlled. Doesn't do too well with rte channels but not a lot worth watching there anyway

Pretty much, any channel you set up as a favourite can be voice controlled. Doesn't do too well with rte channels but not a lot worth watching there anyway

Cheers for that. Got a few Euros for Christmas so want to waste it on something :pac:

Should clarify, the syntax is Alexa tell harmony to go to sky 1, to need the tell harmony bit

It gives you a pretty good idea of what you can do here: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-amazon-alexa

In my mind it's worth it just to get rid of the awful Sky Q remote alone, but other than that the best thing about it, is that you can set it up to do a series of commands with just one press on the remote, or one voice command to Alexa.

So for example launching Netflix on my Smart TV is a pain in the ass as I have to press loads of buttons to launch the Netflix app & then still choose the person watching. Now I just say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on Netflix"! Magic!

I've renamed RTE to Irish to get over this. You can assign any names that you want to any of your favourite channels when enabling the skill.

I've renamed RTE to Irish to get over this. You can assign any names that you want to any of your favourite channels when enabling the skill.

I had a suspicion this might work alright but didn't have time to try it, thanks for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Got here before me. Great offer on starter kit

I just ordered another set (Don't need the bridge) but the single Bulb offer only allows you to buy 2 per customer. Starter kit offer is a better deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Amb...2730640&sr=1-2

Any chance you'd be interested in selling the spare bridge Bobby? Missed this deal & am looking for a cheap entry point to hue.

Thanks

LIFX Bulbs down to £39.99, no idea if theyre any use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIFX-Smart-Light-White-watts/dp/B01M66RQXV/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1482889487&sr=1-1
    "Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb, Adjustable, Multicolor, Dimmable, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa"

B22 there also.These arent the 1000 ones though, I dont know the difference

Whites down too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Light-Bulbs/White-Smart-Works-Alexa-Dimmable-Required-Edison/B016KB5PGQ/ref=lp_4437760031_1_1?srs=4437760031&ie=UTF8&qid=1482889577&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Slippery slope.

Similar; thanks to Boards I've got Echo, TP Link smart plug and this deal on Hue since Black Friday

Advertisement